Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,297 members, 7,815,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! (12073 Views)

Please Advice. I Prefer Giving My Tithe To My Parent Because They Need It More / Answer This Sunday School Question My People. (see Question) / The Firstfruit Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Kaboom1: 2:22pm On Feb 04, 2012
buzugee:

if i remember correctly, the benefit of the first fruit or tithe is to help the financially poor amongst the people and to help those who have fully dedicated their life to God. the first fruits are collected from everybody. then it is shared equally amongst everybody. say for xample, 3 people bring their first fruit. first person brings 10,000 naira. second person is a poor man and brings 50 naira. third person is a modern day levite who is fully committed to the lords work and is a priest, so he cant afford anything. this makes a combined amount of 10,050. this is shared equally amongst the three. so they each get 3,350 naira. if your preacher is not doing this, then you are getting scammed. plain and simple. first fruits and tithes are meant to be shared equally amongst the people. this is a way of helping the poor and those fully dedicated to the lord.

Excuse me!! When God says FRUITS he means FRUITS and not MONEY!!! as they use money in those days. So he would say money if he means money, and this is where people start getting it wrong.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by stagger: 2:31pm On Feb 04, 2012
All these people who are attacking the OP:

Are you the one who gave him the money?
Is he paying the money to you?
Did he complain that he is wasting his money, or that he is not seeing results?

The bible said that the carnally-minded man cannot discern the things of the Spirit and that they are to him as foolishness.

My problem with the OP is that if you are doing your thing with God, keep it secret. There are too many carnally minded people here who do not understand the things of God.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by OmoPastor(m): 2:33pm On Feb 04, 2012
@ TV01
i hope you study the scriptures diligently. are you aware most parts of the scriptures are personal revelations written down for our consumption, whatever God reveals to someone which must be scripturally based is for the benefit of others.

and when i said personal revelation means my eyes were opened to its truth and i decided to share it with others. no one is being coerced into giving firstfruit but when in future people see some rich MOG they start running their mouths not knowing what they had done to get there.

@jidewin
Poster just needed your attention as he MOCKINGLY made this post.live him alone.He is not paying anything.
where are you from? who are you? do i know you? how are you sure of what you are saying? better watch what you say my guy  angry angry angry
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by TV01(m): 2:34pm On Feb 04, 2012
ujchief:

first fruit is biblical, so is tithing!

Hello ujchief,

Indded "biblical" if by that one means they are contained in the bible. But not biblical if one is suggesting that either of these two practices is mandatory for Christians.

Thanks
TV
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by babyboy3(m): 2:36pm On Feb 04, 2012
<< Proverbs 3:9 >>

Honour the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by babyboy3(m): 2:39pm On Feb 04, 2012
Excuse me!! When God says FRUITS he means FRUITS and not MONEY!!! as they use money in those days. So he would say money if he means money, and this is where people start getting it wrong.

Lord have mercy!!!

New Living Translation (©2007)
Honour the LORD with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce.

Why did Joshua lost the battle of Ai?
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by OmoPastor(m): 2:42pm On Feb 04, 2012
@ stagger
My problem with the OP is that if you are doing your thing with God, keep it secret. There are too many carnally minded people here who do not understand the things of God.
this is where many christians get it wrong; keeping quiet about kingdom principles. how can you be quiet about what benefits you which could have also benefited those ignorant about it?

remember we live in a kingdom with principles that even many kingdom kids are umaware of, so as i have said this today someone somewhere will read and take the step of faith to release God's immeasurable blessings on him. i know someone is learning from this. i do not care what the carnal ones are saying cos they are babies who have not yet seen the depth of the kingdom.

so if anyone is offended by my post, i wish them safe recovery from their self imposed pains and misery.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by TV01(m): 2:47pm On Feb 04, 2012
OmoPastor:

@ TV01
i hope you study the scriptures diligently.
grin

OmoPastor:

are you aware most parts of the scriptures are personal revelations written down for our consumption, whatever God reveals to someone which must be scripturally based is for the benefit of others.

Would God be averse to revealing these to all, or any that care to know? That way nothing would be lost in translation?

OmoPastor:

and when i said personal revelation means my eyes were opened to its truth and i decided to share it with others. no one is being coerced into giving firstfruit but when in future people see some rich MOG they start running their mouths not knowing what they had done to get there.

- Again, perhaps share how your eyes were opened. You are sharing your act, not what motivated it.
- Are you sharing to pre-empt people "running their mouths"? Or to explain how "MOGS" get rich?

Thanks
TV
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by OmoPastor(m): 2:52pm On Feb 04, 2012
@ TV01
Would God be averse to revealing these to all, or any that care to know? That way nothing would be lost in translation?
do you care to know? what have you done to know? if you do not know, then you have no reason talking it down.

- Again, perhaps share how your eyes were opened. You are sharing your act, not what motivated it.
go through this thread again, i believe you just jumped to reply without reading all my posts here today.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by duni04(m): 3:19pm On Feb 04, 2012
I won't claim authority in this topic but its a very controversial one for me. I just can't understand why Pastors always go back to the old testament to lift scriptures whenever it comes to giving. The children of Israel gave offerings to God because God accepted offerings for forgiveness. Why is it that in that pastors forget that it is that same book of Exodus that says people should give one-tenth of their earnings to God, that also says Women that commit adultery should be stoned to death, and all the other laws which today we acknowledge as obnoxious? I'm not an authority in on this subject, but i think its ok to give to the poor just like Jesus said.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by plaetton: 3:21pm On Feb 04, 2012
Omo pastor, Joeagbaje and others have repeatedly tried to impress upon this forum that there exist[b] big difference between giving to the poor or needy and giving to god.[/b].
I beg any of them to kindly elaborate on this.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by buzugee(m): 3:25pm On Feb 04, 2012
Kaboom!:

in those days people had their own vineyeards etc. we are currently living in a feudal system where you dont own farmlands. we are all consumers now. so your first fruit will be money. this is what you reap from your work. money. in a feudal system nobody reaps fruits. just like how the lord says 'he who lives by the sword will die by the sword'. well the modern day sword is the gun. so you basically translate into modern day.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by buzugee(m): 3:30pm On Feb 04, 2012
any person who does not equally share the collected first fruits amongst the flock is a fraud. the purpose of the first fruit is to alleviate the suffereing amongst the flock and not for one person to pocket it all and buy himself a jet, crocodile skin shoes, armani suits and whatnot
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by duni04(m): 3:42pm On Feb 04, 2012
Kaboom!:

Nope you cant equate Jesus with Pastors of today,  Very sorry to burst your bubbles. Jesus was a special case and he was definitely going to die (when he made those remarks) so you cant equate it with Pastors that might live to be 70-100yrs. Again Born again Christians are not Jewish of old and they are not Jewish today so please stop mixing things up. If God requires First-fruit from born again Christians in the new testament then it is very good to obey but if it's a Jewish law or requirement then nobody should be drumming it as you don't obey or observe other Jewish laws and traditions in Leviticus, You cant choose which to obey and which to ignore, you don't have that luxury.
Thank you very much! May God Bless you!
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by TV01(m): 3:46pm On Feb 04, 2012
OmoPastor:

@ TV01do you care to know? what have you done to know? if you do not know, then you have no reason talking it down.

I have clearly asked that you share with the board. Rather than a proclamation of what you are going to do, whilst claiming the revelation behind it is personal, please share - and in a very specific manner - the revelation. I am not talking it down. Who can withstand truth?

OmoPastor:

go through this thread again, i believe you just jumped to reply without reading all my posts here today.

I have re-read, just to be sure. My points/questions remain unchanged.

plaetton:

Omo pastor, Joeagbaje and others have repeatedly tried to impress upon this forum that there exist[b] big difference between giving to the poor or needy and giving to god.[/b]. I beg any of them to kindly elaborate on this.

A response to the above would also be revelatory to many here

Thanks
TV
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by lepasharon(f): 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2012
firstly,did god say honour him on sunday?
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Joagbaje(m): 6:09pm On Feb 04, 2012
@graybeard

I hear you. But many churches now preach that the first fruit for a working man or woman is 100% of your Janurary salary as security for good finances for the rest of the year. That is 100%. Without deductions for expenses, rent, food etc.
Pastor Joagbaje is this not true?

It's based faith of individuals. For example ,What is FIRST fruit to a taxi driver?  Income from His FIRST passenger? . His FIRST  day entire income? His entire income for the FIRST week, or for the month? . It's based on individual relationship and faith.  A pastor can only teach what principles in the bible . It's left for individuals to believe and act on it.

If a pastor teaches on alms giving to the poor he wont force anybody to give alms . Even if he says everybody should come tomorrow with money to take to the poor after service tomorrow . Some people will still not give. Everything is based on individual revelation .
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by inedi: 6:13pm On Feb 04, 2012
It's a great thing my brother to give your first fruit, the bible says that if the first is holy then the lump also is holy, my brother you have taken care of the feature, when the world would say there is a casting down you will say there lifting up.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Goshen360(m): 6:30pm On Feb 04, 2012
Very sorrowful that those who claim to have revelation of God's word certainly do not have nothing. I do not say this to down look anyone but religious leader are lovers of money and some of them actually wants means to finance their self called mission. Anyway, it is to the doing the work of God and am happy the gospel is being preached. The gospel was preached to me at a time and I have come to be a believer.

Old testaments are type and shadows of the real thing to come. God gave instruction to the Children of Israel to about first fruit in order to train up the heart of the Israelites in the way of OBEDIENCE. The truth of the matter is, greedy people for return of money are snared out of their own greed by greedy men of God. They say, sow seed and expect abundance in return. What do you expect from greedy people that wants more money to do? They will rush to first fruit and all kinds of seed sowing. Christ is the first fruit that God was pointing to in the old testament.

1 Cor. 15:20-23: “But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ's at His coming.”

There is certainly a place for giving in the church of God and I maintain that. Cheerful and willfull giving is what the early church practiced and that is what we ought to be doing. There is church or ministry here in the USA and UK (name withheld). The only thing they come on TV to preach is people sowing seed, in the name of spreading the gospel. All of the time i watch their invited preachers (names withheld), they always lift scriptures to backup their claim, use all sorts of date and numbers calling it prophetic numbers. They can say sow 365$ or Euro to mean 365 days of something something, they can say sow 2212 to mean February 2 2012. I watch them and I shake my head. They even promise you get 24hours miracle after sowing such seed as if they are the ones that gives the miracles. Also, they don't preach the gospel or come to ask for money except only on weekends when to me, they know people have their pay cheques every Friday in the USA here. This same ministry I talked about can air a particular same message like 4 times in a month. They will say sow seed of first fruit at once or sow it over the period of three months. If it is God who really ask for these first fruits, why do you tell people to give it over a certain period, breaking it down to ease burden? The Bible requires we hear the word and decide, not preachers telling us what exact figure or amount to give. When we love God, we will give freely and cheerfully to God's work and our poor neighbors.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by GreyBeard: 6:31pm On Feb 04, 2012
Joagbaje:

@graybeard

It's based faith of individuals. For example ,What is FIRST fruit to a taxi driver?  Income from His FIRST passenger? . His FIRST  day entire income? His entire income for the FIRST week, or for the month? . It's based on individual relationship and faith.  A pastor can only teach what principles in the bible . It's left for individuals to believe and act on it.

If a pastor teaches on alms giving to the poor he wont force anybody to give alms . Even if he says everybody should come tomorrow with money to take to the poor after service tomorrow . Some people will still not give. Everything is based on individual revelation .

Pastor Jo! You know how to dodge giving a direct answer. That's a real skill you have my brother  wink

Ok. Let me put it like this. Assuming I am an office worker and my only source of income is my salary which is paid monthly. How would you advise me to pay my first fruits?
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Joagbaje(m): 6:56pm On Feb 04, 2012
My explanation is what I give above. It's a personal faith thing. For some it's their first month salary. Especially those who earn monthly. Even those who earn daily or weekly can decide to give all the income for the month. That is putting together the income from ist ,2nd,3rd and 4th week together as first fruit.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by bishopz: 7:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
Honour the Lord with thy substance and with the FIRST FRUITS of all thine increase. (proverbs 3:9) whatever is not of faith is sin.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Goshen360(m): 7:11pm On Feb 04, 2012
@ Joagbaje,

God is on His throne watching and we will all give account of our work on earth someday. The word of God is truth and please stop telling people lies. There is place for money and giving in ministry and it is clear enough for all of us to read and study it from the book of acts of Apostles and other epistles. CHRIST IS OUR FRUIT FRUIT WHICH IS A TYPE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.

1 Cor. 15:20-23: “But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ's at His coming.”
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by GreyBeard: 7:13pm On Feb 04, 2012
bishopz:

Honour the Lord with thy substance and with the FIRST FRUITS of all thine increase. (proverbs 3:9) whatever is not of faith is sin.

This is very true. But Joagbaje And co. would have us believe that it is right to pay your first months salary even though you haven't had any increase or pay rise.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 04, 2012
I missed much of the hullabaloo's. But i'll just say the op enriched his pastor sha, nothing else.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Joagbaje(m): 7:30pm On Feb 04, 2012
goshen360:

@ Joagbaje,

God is on His throne watching and we will all give account of our work on earth someday. The word of God is truth and please stop telling people lies. There is place for money and giving in ministry and it is clear enough for all of us to read and study it from the book of acts of Apostles and other epistles.

Lie? I have given my own first fruit already . First fruit ,tithes ,offerings were instituted before the law came. They are based on biblical principles. Recognizing God as first in our lives. And every first things belong to him.

Why was Abel accepted above Cain? He offered first fruits . It's based on revelation.

Genesis 4:4
4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

It's a universal law. People take their first fruits to parents . Even among the heathen , the yam festival won't take place until village high priest eat the first or fattest yam. (first fruits represent the first or the best) for those who believe ,it works for them. Nobody should persecute someone for his belief.

CHRIST IS OUR FRUIT FRUIT WHICH IS A TYPE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.

You could have said as well that christ is our perfect offering or sacrifice and by that we should not give offerings again and every form of sacrificial work should seize. In cash or in worship

Hebrews 13:15
15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Enigma(m): 7:44pm On Feb 04, 2012
^^^ Can people give the so called first fruits to their parents?

Mark 7 
9 Then he said, “You skillfully sidestep God’s law in order to hold on to your own tradition. 10 For instance, Moses gave you this law from God: ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.’ 11 But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, ‘Sorry, I can’t help you. For I have vowed to give to God what I would have given to you.’ 12 In this way, you let them disregard their needy parents. 13 And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others.”
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by Goshen360(m): 7:48pm On Feb 04, 2012
@ Joagbaje,
Again, that firstlings that Abel brought was pointing to Christ as a type. You can give money now and not disputing that but new order of first fruit is now Christ being fulfilled as the type in the Old testament even before the law and in the law of Moses. Does it surprise you that scriptures also called Christ a second Adam? meaning, he redeemed the first image and likeness of the first man, Adam, that fell.

There is certainly a place for money and giving money in the ministry but Christ has fulfilled the first fruit thing. Simply, a pastor should tell God's people the needs of the local church and allow God's people give as they are blessed, propose in their heart, cheerfully and willingly. This is what God loves and blesses. We do not argue the word of God but enlighten ourselves. However, let those who believe in so called first fruits keep doing it, all to the glory of God.

Hebrews 13:15
15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

[quote][/quote]

Now, same Hebrews 13:15, NIV: Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that confess his name.

We clearly see how you quote scriptures that has nothing to this topic. This verse is clear enough that, Through Jesus (that have being made our perfect figure), we should continue in worship (praise giving, thanksgiving) to God. This is talking about worship and not all of this first fruit thing. I maintain act of giving as taught by Christ and the Apostles. Jesus only simply said, "Give and it shall be given to you, " and so are the Apostles. Today, we fashion out many things from the bible just to favour ourselves, our ministry, our denominations and ungodly programmes. Let us stop putting burden on people that Christ has not placed on them. If God really sent you, God will make provision for the vision. I do not intend to talk so much on this any more. Be it unto you according to your faith.

Shalom!
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by stagger: 7:50pm On Feb 04, 2012
OmoPastor:

@ staggerthis is where many christians get it wrong; keeping quiet about kingdom principles. how can you be quiet about what benefits you which could have also benefited those ignorant about it?

remember we live in a kingdom with principles that even many kingdom kids are umaware of, so as i have said this today someone somewhere will read and take the step of faith to release God's immeasurable blessings on him. i know someone is learning from this. i do not care what the carnal ones are saying cos they are babies who have not yet seen the depth of the kingdom.

so if anyone is offended by my post, i wish them safe recovery from their self imposed pains and misery.

You dey waste your time. Give your first fruits and enjoy the blessings. From all your posts, have you succeeded in teaching any of the die-hard olodos here who always condemn everything about the bible?

As far as they are concerned, you have enriched your pastor. I once gave out a car to my church and received all manner of talk and condemnation from people who said I had been brainwashed. But the same people now call me for money everyday after that sacrificial seed opened a door I have been eating from for 7 years now.

So do your thing and let the Lord God bless you as you keep His commandments.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by plaetton: 7:50pm On Feb 04, 2012
Enigma:

^^^ Can people give the so called first fruits to their parents?

Mark 7  

Thank you for asking that question.

@Joagbaje:
I asked eatlier and I'm going to ask you again to please explain the diference between giving to God and giving to the poor and needy.
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by staggerman(m): 7:52pm On Feb 04, 2012
Questions I have for everyone:
How much did Eternal Immutable Lord Jesus leave on earth for his disciples, family and friends?
Where did His heart rest upon?

How conscious of money were the early Sons of God who pledged their lives to the cause of the Master (KING and LORD Forever)?
Re: Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! by staggerman(m): 7:56pm On Feb 04, 2012
To give to the poor and needy is to give to GOD (LORD ELOHIM whose Name is praised forever).

Emulate the lifestyle of the Good Samaritan and your joy will overflow throughout Eternity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Don't You Eat Before Church? / What The Bible Says About Marriage / Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.