Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,587 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70534 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
sbeezy8:

I dont know what you dont understand about

1)Bini history claims Oba of Lagos is bini
2)Bini history claims that Bini soldiers intermarried with Ondo, Ekiti and Lagos.

Bini historians-

Alternatively, the Benin believe that he was a prince that was banished by his father, the "Ogiso" of Benin. His name, they claim, is derived from "Idoduwa", meaning "fortune's path", symbolizing the painful exile from his ancestral home. In support of this view, they claim, Oduduwa's grandson Oranmiyan later returned to Benin to rule the Empire around 1,100 AD.

You are the one who said Bini know their history and are well documented.

Because I show you the connect that bini believe is to be yoruba relation- you want to say now that its folklore, even though you said Bini history is well recorded.

So are you saying the bini historians are incorrect or something?

Do u really understand English at all?

Pls spare me the folklores(folktales/mythology)

and present a concrete evidence of the relationship between edos and yorubas.

Why squeeze in your folklore nicodemusly? grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by exotik: 6:12pm On Feb 05, 2012
by mere looking at the location of edo in nigeria, it is not difficult to understand why edo cannot be said to the closer to yoruba without being close to igbo. edo is right in the middle of the east and west of southern nigeria. and edo enjoyed empire status for over 400 years(?) until it was dismantled by the british a little over a hundred years ago, and that is not even up to half the time edo was an empire. so instead of yorubas and igbos to appreciate the similarities between them, they keep fighting over pettiness and celebrate their differences while claiming to be share similarities with edo.  errr, it doesnt work that way. edo is in this unique position because of its location and the authority it once commanded.

now, unlike the yorubas, oduduwa is not the alpha and omega of the edo people. before oduduwa, edo had developed a monarchical system of govt for centuries and they had over 30 ogisos before oduduwa, and it was this monarchial system of govt that oduduwa took ife and i guess everybody already knows the edo version of oduduwa. the yorubas rejected the edo version of oduduwa and opted for the mythical one or the one from somewhere in arabia.

now granted edo had a connection with the yoruba intially but the growth of edo did not stop there. edo started growing as an empire during reign of oba ewuare who was the 12th or so oba and by the reign of oba esigie, edo grew into igbo areas with by establishing a monarchial system of govts all the way to present day onitsha through eze chime and i guess everybody knows the edo version of eze chime but the igbos rejected the edo version and opted for the eastern version, although, they didnt stretch their version all the way to the far far east in arabia but ended somewhere around imo/abia grin grin

but looking at edo today, though it had connection with yoruba people earlier, and it also had connection with igbos later and that is why the edo culture mirrors both east and west, and in recent time mirrors the north due to islamic influence from the north. and that is why we are neither hausa, igbo or yoruba . . . but edo.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by NegroNtns(m): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
and present a concrete evidence of the relationship between edos and yorubas

. . . . what other form of account or evidence is more concrete than a narrative on one side that is corroborated and acknowledged on the other side?

What are you looking for. . . . dna?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:24pm On Feb 05, 2012
exotik:

by mere looking at the location of edo in nigeria, it is not difficult to understand why edo cannot be said to the closer to yoruba without being close to igbo. edo is right in the middle of the east and west of southern nigeria. and edo enjoyed empire status for 400 years(?) until it was dismantled by the british a little over a hundred years ago, and that is not even up to half the time edo was an empire. so instead of yorubas and igbos to appreciate the similarities between them, they keep fighting over pettiness and celebrate their differences while claiming to be share similarities with edo,  errr, it doesnt work that way. edo is in this unique position because of its location and the authority it once commanded.

now, unlike the yorubas, oduduwa is not the alpha and omega of the edo people. before oduduwa, edo had developed a monarchical system of govt for centuries and they had over 30 ogisos before oduduwa, and it was this monarchial system of govt that oduduwa took ife and i guess everybody already knows the edo version of oduduwa. the yorubas rejected the edo version of oduduwa and opted for the mythical one or the one from somewhere in arabia.

now granted edo had a connection with the yoruba intially but the growth of edo did not stop there. edo started growing as an empire during reign of oba ewuare who was the 12th or so oba and by the regin of oba esigie, edo grew into igbo areas with by establishing a monarchial system of govts all the way to present day onitsha through eze chime and i guess everybody knows the edo version of eze chime but the igbos rejected the edo version and opted for the eastern version, although, they didnt stretch their version all the way to the far far east in arabia but ended somewhere around imo/abia grin grin

but looking at edo today, though it had connection with yoruba people earlier, and it also had connection with igbos later and that is why the edo culture mirrors both east and west, and in recent time mirrors the north due to islamic influence from the north. and that is why we are neither hausa, igbo or yoruba . . . but edo.

I can't agree more with you

My problem is with yoruba supremacist who wants to re-write history and attribute vain glory to the yorubas.

We all know that binis are great civilization that may pre-date oduduwa and nri.

But yorubas are fond of re-writing history and creating the position of senior partners for themselves.

When we know that prior to british colonization, yorubas are loose confederation that are constantly at war with each other, which makes them easier to be conquered by foreign forces.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:26pm On Feb 05, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

. . . . what other form of account or evidence is more concrete than a narrative on one side that is corroborated and acknowledged on the other side?

What are you looking for. . . . dna?

he he he

Naration from who?

Negro_Ntns and other yoruba tribal nuts

he he he
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by NegroNtns(m): 6:26pm On Feb 05, 2012
so instead of yorubas and igbos to appreciate the similarities between them, they keep fighting over pettiness and celebrate their differences while claiming to be share similarities with edo.  errr, it doesnt work that way. edo is in this unique position because of its location and the authority it once commanded.

Culturally, there has never been a similarity between Yoruba and Igbo, and there is never going to be one.  We are talking about cultural unity, not geographic placement.  In fact even in geography, Edo is not the midway between West and East.

Bini did not create monarchy for Yoruba but Bini created monarchy for Igbo.  Huge difference!!
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by sbeezy8: 6:29pm On Feb 05, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

I am from a noble Igbo family that was chosen to become a royal family when the Igbos began to have kings in imitation of their neighbors; the Igala, and the Bini.

Look at the above.  It is documented that Igbo majority and entry into Kingship and civilization was facilitated by non-igbos.  

This is what I believe cause - there is not much that binis igalas urhobos and even efiks do that is actually igbo. iT SEEMS that the igbo have imitated those other tribes.

even in dress the red igbo hat is for muslim, igala muslims most likely introduced it to igbo-

ACM10:

hmmm
undecided

I never knew I was debating with a flip-flopper who would rather take any position that advances his arguement

im not an oduduwa meaning i dont subscribe to everything SOME yorubas believe. i am a yoruba tho and not all yorubas beilieve oduduwa or bini connection,or sudan connection or arabia,or even ife. im not historian- i dont even care.

all i kno is theres no big problem between binis n yorubas aside from that point of history. as far as im concerned being yoruba is cultural, ive met people with bini, igarra names who say they are yorubas simply because thats how they are raised ive met igaras binis with yoruba last names who call themselves edo and not yoruba.

it varies from person to person. my point is why are igbo so adamant about creating friction. i've read that igbo in anambra originate from bini- who am i to dispute it?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:30pm On Feb 05, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Culturally, there has never been a similarity between Yoruba and Igbo, and there is never going to be one.  We are talking about cultural unity, not geographic placement.  In fact even in geography, Edo is not the midway between West and East.

[size=20pt]Bini did not create monarchy for Yoruba but Bini created monarchy for Igbo.[/size]  Huge difference!!

ACM10:

My problem is with [size=20pt]yoruba supremacist[/size] who wants to re-write history and attribute vain glory to the yorubas.

We all know that binis are great civilization that may pre-date oduduwa and nri.

[size=20pt]But yorubas are fond of re-writing history and creating the position of senior partners for themselves.[/size]

When we know that prior to british colonization, yorubas are loose confederation that are constantly at war with each other, which makes them easier to be conquered by foreign forces.

can u see now? grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 6:30pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

Do u really understand English at all?

Pls spare me the folklores(folktales/mythology)

and present a concrete evidence of the relationship between edos and yorubas.

Why squeezing in the folklore nicodemusly? grin

I am not surprised you are still fighting here.

Did the Edo deny Yoruba? NO

Did the Yorubas deny Edo?NO

So what is your problem.

Go tell the Oba of BENIN he is more of  Igbo than Yoruba and see what you get.

Why no change the Oba title to Igwe if you are no satisfied.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by NegroNtns(m): 6:32pm On Feb 05, 2012
The problem with you ibos is you have thin skin for debating issues without getting offended and whining or resorting to tale of victimization.

Everyone in Nigeria knows. . . everyone, when it comes to greatness in this country, you are the lowest of the low.  You are a manufactured majority tribe, thanks to Lugard.  Before he stepped foot here the Ibibios and the Igalla and Binis were the rulers and domain sovereignties in West and East of Niger.  It is documented.  

Would you like me to bare your a s ses in the harmattan wind again?  Do you want me to bring the record out and quash this argument once and for all?   grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by NegroNtns(m): 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2012
I am from a noble Igbo family that was chosen to become a royal family when the Igbos began to have kings in imitation of their neighbors; the Igala, and the Bini

Here is what one of the princes of that imitated title said. You dont have to listen to me. Listen to your own prince.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:36pm On Feb 05, 2012
sbeezy8:

[size=20pt]im not an oduduwa meaning i dont subscribe to everything SOME yorubas believe. i am a yoruba tho[/size] and not all yorubas beilieve oduduwa or bini connection,or sudan connection or arabia,or even ife. im not historian- i dont even care.

all i kno is theres no big problem between binis n yorubas aside from that point of history. as far as im concerned being yoruba is cultural, ive met people with bini, igarra names who say they are yorubas simply because thats how they are raised ive met igaras binis with yoruba last names who call themselves edo and not yoruba.

it varies from person to person. my point is why are igbo so adamant about creating friction. i've read that igbo in anambra originate from bini- who am i to dispute it?

Guy shatap dia!

Find a clever way to twist it

I exposed your dirrty inconsistent asss
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by BlackPikiN(m): 6:37pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

My problem is with yoruba supremacist who wants to re-write history and attribute vain glory to the yorubas.

But yorubas are fond of re-writing history and creating the position of senior partners for themselves.

I dnt think this is right.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:40pm On Feb 05, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

The problem with you ibos is you have thin skin for debating issues without getting offended and whining or resorting to tale of victimization.

Everyone in Nigeria knows. . . everyone, when it comes to greatness in this country, you are the lowest of the low.  You are a manufactured majority tribe, thanks to Lugard.  Before he stepped foot here the Ibibios and the Igalla and Binis were the rulers and domain sovereignties in West and East of Niger.  It is documented.  

Would you like me to bare your a s ses in the harmattan wind again?  Do you want me to bring the record out and quash this argument once and for all?   grin

Should I respond to your silly conjecture?

I think I'll give a pass
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by sbeezy8: 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

WE- dont know anything. you are not yoruba or bini so you cannot argue for either group. If bini says igbo-anambra originated in benin - via chima, who am i to say otherwise, im not bini and im not igbo. so why do you want to argue the history of yorubas n binis for themselves you are neither.

ACM10:

Guy shatap dia!
Find a clever way to twist it
I exposed your dirrty inconsistent asss

you sound like a 5 yr old.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Here is what one of the princes of that imitated title said.  You dont have to listen to me.  Listen to your own prince.  

who is that pls?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Abagworo(m): 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2012
Exotic has nailed the thread.Edo is at the centre and was more civilized in pre-colonial times. Their influence crossed the Niger river eastwards and got as far as Dahomey westwards.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by daytona500(m): 6:43pm On Feb 05, 2012
May God help Nigerians! Black people should be ashame of thelselves. Look at England today,who dominate their national team, same with France,even Germany has a black man on their national team. In Nigeria, we are all black and we fight over petty things. We all need to wake up and dream big. The western world is spending its energy to solve world misery,such as finding solution to world hunger,child abuse etc. We are still in the past fighting over who is who. This shows that we have a long way to go.
By the way,yoruba people say that if you don't respect yourself no one will ever respect you. No wonder black nations were colonized by white people because we have no brain.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:44pm On Feb 05, 2012
It's obvious that there are people here who do not know what they are talking about when they try to mention "Igbo" and describe the "culture".
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2012
sbeezy8:

WE- dont know anything. you are not yoruba or bini so you cannot argue for either group. If bini says igbo-anambra originated in benin - via chima, who am i to say otherwise, im not bini and im not igbo. so why do you want to argue the history of yorubas n binis for themselves you are neither.

I think you should be pointing at yourself

sbeezy8:
you sound like a 5 yr old.

Yes

A super 5 yr old who swooped on an adult
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by sbeezy8: 6:53pm On Feb 05, 2012
anyway back to topic i cannot say who is closer BUT the edos mainly igarra in my family married into,have balogun,ojo, akerele typical yoruba names, didnt know they werent really that yoruba till recently.

and even if you ask them their origin they'll still say "edo similar to yoruba" or something like that. but they are probably yorubanized anyway

so. . . .
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by exotik: 6:56pm On Feb 05, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Culturally, there has never been a similarity between Yoruba and Igbo, and there is never going to be one.

really? i have already posted a few words that i know in yoruba and igbo with same meaning. and dont yoruba circumcise their males like igbo?  

We are talking about cultural unity, not geographic placement.  

well, geographic placement do influence cultural unity.

In fact even in geography, Edo is not the midway between West and East.

so where is it then? the midwest? grin

Bini did not create monarchy for Yoruba but Bini created monarchy for Igbo.  Huge difference!!

this is what we are saying, una nor dey accept due to una inferiority complex. forget ife, lets talk about recent ones. it was edo dat instituted the monarchy in eko(lagos)  that is now being claimed by yorubas. the same edo instituted the monarchy in warri with the itsekiris. and guess who are the ones claiming the itsekiris today? na the same yoruba.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Ufeolorun(m): 7:07pm On Feb 05, 2012
exotik:

by mere looking at the location of edo in nigeria, it is not difficult to understand why edo cannot be said to the closer to yoruba without being close to igbo. edo is right in the middle of the east and west of southern nigeria. and edo enjoyed empire status for over 400 years(?) until it was dismantled by the british a little over a hundred years ago, and that is not even up to half the time edo was an empire. so instead of yorubas and igbos to appreciate the similarities between them, they keep fighting over pettiness and celebrate their differences while claiming to be share similarities with edo.  errr, it doesnt work that way. edo is in this unique position because of its location and the authority it once commanded.

now granted edo had a connection with the yoruba intially but the growth of edo did not stop there. edo started growing as an empire during reign of oba ewuare who was the 12th or so oba and by the reign of oba esigie, edo grew into igbo areas with by establishing a monarchial system of govts all the way to present day onitsha through eze chime and i guess everybody knows the edo version of eze chime but the igbos rejected the edo version and opted for the eastern version, although, they didnt stretch their version all the way to the far far east in arabia but ended somewhere around imo/abia grin grin

400 years and where was it located? in your village?biggest faffing man.
I don't know how long the british empire lasted,I don't think its upto 400 but the signs are there through the spread of english language from America to Australia,the spanish and massive south america.
I respect your culture but stop the constant lousy embellishment,even in edo state how many languages do 'ye' have there. You couldn't have spent 400 years and yet your influence is restricted to some areas around you.
I don't think OYO lasted 400 but from Ajase to Kabba,borgu the influence is unmistakable.
Come on!
Lagos,Ogun,Oyo,Osun,Kwara,Ekiti,Ondo,kogi,Ajase,Borgu?,having same cultural identity: the population,the land mass.

@topic
The main reason for this topic isn't necessarily the ops love for Edo,its basically another avenue to look for childish arguments.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 7:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
A lot of lies have been flying around most especially from that mumu call ACM10 At least if you think your people who happen to be Igbos were rubbish PLEEASSSSEE don't drag yorubas to it.

1. A civilisation existed way before Oduduwa, bini etc In present day Igboland and it is the oldest in southern Nigeria. Check your history and stop thinking low of yourself

2. Bini conquered Olofin who happen to be the one of the founding fathers of my people aworis(yoruba).

3. Oduduwa gave birth to the dynasty in in the present day Edo NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. The only reason why Bini think they formed Ile-ife dynasty is because Bini language is distant from the present day conventional yoruba. but Go to ekiti and parts of Ondo, most of the people there can speak both yoruba and edo easily.

4. After the formation of bini dynasty, then the bini conquered the present day Igbo people because it was more or least villages and clans.

Get your facts right ACM10 !!!!! if your people were Unclad and running around the bush hunting nkita My people did not and our civilization speaks for itself

Go to present day Togo, benin republic, there are Obas and Onis there and speak yoruba

even to Ghana the ewe and Ga people of Accra, a well learnt yoruba can speak and communicate with them

Dayome was One of the numerous kingdoms The yoruba conquoured and today Pot novo is named Ajesan. Not by mistake not by bini but by yorubas who were Egbas. Cotoune is a yoruba speaking town and even the president of Benin republic today is Yoruba.

My people aka Aworis yes did not do much in yoruba history either were they under Oyo empire but today we know our history and how things came to be.

I am a prince in Lagos and If your check the linage of Kings in Lagos after Olofin (Hope i am right) was defeated, we had some Edo people as kings afterward Aworis again because of the interwoven nature of the bini and yorubas.

I have posted this kingship linage on Nairaland before, go read some of my post by step1.

In lagos today we Aworis acknowledge the Edo people among us and it is a mutual respect thing because we cannot even identify the difference.

The word Eko is war camp in Bini and farmland in yoruba because the aworis use the land to grow pepper, cassava and others

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the word "Igbo" is a recent discovery and it is used to describe a collection of people who speak different variation of the present day Igbo.

There was nothing like "Igbo" some years back because their is nothing that binds them. The only thing that binds them now is Nigeria and it is a case of "my enemy's enemy is my friend". I am not going to dwell to much on Igbo history as they know their history.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by BlackPikiN(m): 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

A lot of lies have been flying around most especially from that mumu call ACM10 At least if you think your people who happen to be Igbos were rubbish PLEEASSSSEE don't drag yorubas to it.

1. A civilisation existed way before Oduduwa, bini etc In present day Igboland and it is the oldest in southern Nigeria. Check your history and stop thinking low of yourself

2. Bini conquered Olofin who happen to be the one of the founding fathers of my people aworis(yoruba).

3. Oduduwa gave birth to the dynasty in in the present day Edo NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. The only reason why Bini think they formed Ile-ife dynasty is because Bini language is distant from the present day conventional yoruba. but Go to ekiti and parts of Ondo, most of the people there can speak both yoruba and edo easily.

4. After the formation of bini dynasty, then the bini conquered the present day Igbo people because it was more or least villages and clans.

Get your facts right ACM10 !!!!! if your people were Unclad and running around the bush hunting nkita My people did not and our civilization speaks for itself

Go to present day Togo, benin republic, there are Obas and Onis there and speak yoruba

even to Ghana the ewe and Ga people of Accra, a well learnt yoruba can speak and communicate with them

Dayome was One of the numerous kingdoms The yoruba conquoured and today Pot novo is named Ajesan. Not by mistake not by bini but by yorubas who were Egbas. Cotoune is a yoruba speaking town and even the president of Benin republic today is Yoruba.

My people aka Aworis yes did not do much in yoruba history either were they under Oyo empire but today we know our history and how things came to be.

I am a prince in Lagos and If your check the linage of Kings in Lagos after Olofin (Hope i am right) was defeated, we had some Edo people as kings afterward Aworis again because of the interwoven nature of the bini and yorubas.

I have posted this kingship linage on Nairaland before, go read some of my post by step1.

In lagos today we Aworis acknowledge the Edo people among us and it is a mutual respect thing because we cannot even identify the difference.

The word Eko is war camp in Bini and farmland in yoruba because the aworis use the land to grow pepper, cassava and others

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the word "Igbo" is a recent discovery and it is used to describe a collection of people who speak different variation of the present day Igbo.

There was nothing like "Igbo" some years back because their is nothing that binds them. The only thing that binds them now is Nigeria and it is a case of "my enemy's enemy is my friend". I am not going to dwell to much on Igbo history as they know their history.

Are for for real?
Can you please explain what red eboe, ibo means?

Was Olaudah Equiano on drugs when He said He's an Eboe?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by OneNaira6: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2012
Matetewater:

if asaba and agbor are ibos them benin is more closer to ibos and have good relationship with them, because the obi of agbor and asaba still pay homage to oba of benin, without the oba of benin, i dont think there will be any coronation of obi. the asaba and agbor chiefs dress like binis chief, they answer same names like iyase. infact i am confuse because binis and yoruba believe in same gods like orumiya sango ogun

Leave matters alone grin grin grin grin You'll never get a concrete answer on NL where everyone pretends to be something they are not, ex: alj_harem, to have someone support their bigotry on their actual account in their actual group.  On this topic alone, I can name and seen about 6 people claiming to be Edo where from the get go you can tell they are Yoruba and one is Igbo such as the guy with an Esan name but talking of Bini kei? Speaking of connection to Yoruba even though Esan folk stories says otherwise kei?  
The OP gave a logical question and had the potential to debunk a huge myth but he also destroyed his thread in the beginning by creating another myth. I'm actually laughing at the desperation both the Igbo and especially the Yoruba are displaying upon here.  Culturally and Linguistically, Edo, as in all communities in Edo including bini is not closer and or similar to Yoruba or Igbo apart from the use of oba, obi, etc. Their connection is more towards other SS ethnic groups as oppose to this two main groups.

Gareth, Physic and the Abgorman are the actual edo on this thread. You should read Gareth answer, it narrates to view of Edo on this matter and even has answer to your question.

In summary to answer the question posed by the OP is Edo closer to Yoruba than to the East a myth or reality? It is a myth
Is Edo closer to Igbo than to Yoruba? No.
Is there history interwoven? Yes
Did they influence each other as some point in history? Yes
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 7:20pm On Feb 05, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Are for for real?
Can you please explain what red eboe, ibo means?

Was Olaudah Equiano on drugs when He said He's an Eboe?

My point exactly he named it in the 17th century

well the word yarriba has been there right from the first republic in Oduduwa land time of sango and co

and infact the original name yoruba call themselves was Omo odudua or Nago

Not yoruba

The word eebo was is 17th century even after the itsekiris/ijebu/aworis have started trading weapons etc with the Portuguese

Again I don't want to go into detail

For example the word Ijaw aka ijo is resent, the orginal word was Izon people
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2012
One_Naira:

Leave matters alone grin grin grin grin You'll never get a concrete answer on NL where everyone pretends to be something they are not, ex: alj_harem, to have someone support their bigotry on their actual account in their actual group.  On this topic alone, I can name and seen about 6 people claiming to be Edo where from the get go you can tell they are Yoruba and one is Igbo such as the guy with an Esan name but talking of Bini kei? Speaking of connection to Yoruba even though Esan folk stories says otherwise kei?  
The OP gave a logical question and had the potential to debunk a huge myth but he also destroyed his thread in the beginning by creating another myth. I'm actually laughing at the desperation both the Igbo and especially the Yoruba are displaying upon here.  Culturally and Linguistically, Edo, as in all communities in Edo including bini is not closer and or similar to Yoruba or Igbo apart from the use of oba, obi, etc. Their connection is more towards other SS ethnic groups as oppose to this two main groups.

Gareth, Physic and the Abgorman are the actual edo on this thread. You should read Gareth answer, it narrates to view of Edo on this matter and even has answer to your question.

In summary to answer the question posed by the OP is Edo closer to Yoruba than to the East a myth or reality? It is a myth
Is Edo closer to Igbo than to Yoruba? No.
Is there history interwoven? Yes
Did they influence each other as some point in history? Yes

Again you have decided to Insult me

I don't care if you take Edo people to baifra, It is completely up to them. We are just setting history right here. If they feel they are more Igbo then good, If they feel they are more yoruba then good

Even better if they want to stand on their own, then good. I am not in any claiming series here. I am just telling you the reality on ground.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by reporter1: 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2012
What is so difficult for some clowns to understand about the relationship of Edos and Yorubas? Is it the cultural or the political aspect? Well documented history books that predate many generations give several accounts of the relationship between Edos and Yorubas. Many Edos (right on this thread) have also corroborated what history books teach us. So why is it so difficult for some clowns to keep going on denying what many have affirmed?

Again, Yoruba and Edo are two distinct groups with common ancestry.  As Negro and Sbeezy previously stated, whether you believe the Bini or Yoruba version of history, the end result is the same -common ancestry.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2012
exotik:

really? i have already posted a few words that i know in yoruba and igbo with same meaning. and dont yoruba circumcise their males like igbo?  

well, geographic placement do influence cultural unity.

so where is it then? the midwest? grin

this is what we are saying, una nor dey accept due to una inferiority complex. forget ife, lets talk about recent ones. it was edo dat instituted the monarchy in eko(lagos)  that is now being claimed by yorubas. the same edo instituted the monarchy in warri with the itsekiris. and guess who are the ones claiming the itsekiris today? na the same yoruba.

Too much bigotry is killing.

Who did Edos meet when they came to Lagos(IDDO, EBUTE-META and Idumota) ? THE AWORIS(except you tell me the AWORIS are not Yorubas.)

The ITSEKIRIS you are talking about are part of Yoruba, infact the name BENIN is ITSEKIRI and not EDO.

The OLU OF WARRI(formally Olu of Itsekiri) is a Yoruba title .

The first OLU is a Yoruba man.

Most EDO use Yoruba terms and name, but Yoruba don't use EDO term.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by exotik: 7:25pm On Feb 05, 2012
Ufeolorun:

400 years and where was it located? in your village?biggest faffing man.
I don't know how long the british empire lasted,I don't think its upto 400 but the signs are there through the spread of english language from America to Australia,the spanish and massive south america.
I respect your culture but stop the constant lousy embellishment,even in edo state how many languages do 'ye' have there. You couldn't have spent 400 years and yet your influence is restricted to some areas around you.
I don't think OYO lasted 400 but from Ajase to Kabba,borgu the influence is unmistakable.
Come on!
Lagos,Ogun,Oyo,Osun,Kwara,Ekiti,Ondo,kogi,Ajase,Borgu?,having same cultural identity: the population,the land mass.

benin empire 1440–1897
oyo empire 1400–1836
aro confederacy 1690–1902

go do the maths and arrive at the years that suits you. and i know that history will always be rewritten but those are the dates for now and those were dominant group that flourished in present day southern nigeria and they were all dismantled by the british.

and wot i posted does not suggest dat i dont respect yoruba culture. i am nigerian so i respect every culture in nigeria. and as a so-called blackman, i respect every african culture but that does not mean because i respect it, i wont air my views when need be. do.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 7:26pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

Look at this jester. grin

Did u produce this crap with your clear eyes?

Who overdosed u with cheap locally-produced ethanol?

Ol boy, I think I will dump this load of excrement where it belongs

This is crap and is not worthy of my response.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (36) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Coronavirus: Umar Farouk, Emir Of Daura Rushed To Intensive Care Unit / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.