Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,492 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70530 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

I couldn't respond to to Alj_harem on this issue of yoruboid in the other thread.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sl_dDVctycgC&pg=PA422&lpg=PA422&dq=Ayere-Ahan+yoruba&source=bl&ots=4X2Hb9-ed_&sig=UQT1-yAtYIdMM8os3pqTi8p6wUI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=isQtT7uPA8Wh8gP0qNSWDw&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Ayere-Ahan%20yoruba&f=false
As far as I'm concerned, yoruboid is a neologism.

There is nothing like yoruboid, igboid, hausaoid, fulanoid, ijawoid etc

You crack me up by lumping Igala as part of yoruboid.

When i was growing up in Anambra, I could remember that news were broadcasted in both Igbo and Igala language.

Many people in Igboland can unerstand and speak Igala fluently and the cultural similarity between those two tribes is never in doubt.

That piece should be confined to the trasb-bin

actually I understand a bit of Igala and I can tell you it is yoruboid

there is no neologism there, go read up and understand why they call it yoruboid

north east anambra start actually speak Igala and thus some people find it easier to go to anambra than other states

thanks

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 1:25pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

+100 Hehehehehe

You've not busted any myth and you are busy making jest of your legendary silliness
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:27pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

You've not busted any myth and you are busy making jest of your legendary silliness

I don't intend to burst anything, all I did is join ekt-bear to laugh na undecided

btw there are Igboid can you call it neologism

eg Ika, ekpere (no sure of the spelling) ngwa, onitsha, ezza(not sure of the spelling)

Yes or not ?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 1:31pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

I couldn't respond to to Alj_harem on this issue of yoruboid since I was using my phone then.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sl_dDVctycgC&pg=PA422&lpg=PA422&dq=Ayere-Ahan+yoruba&source=bl&ots=4X2Hb9-ed_&sig=UQT1-yAtYIdMM8os3pqTi8p6wUI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=isQtT7uPA8Wh8gP0qNSWDw&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Ayere-Ahan%20yoruba&f=false

There is nothing like yoruboid, igboid, hausaoid, fulanoid, ijawoid etc

When i was growing up in Anambra, I could remember that news were broadcasted in both Igbo and Igala language.

Many people in Igboland can unerstand and speak Igala fluently and the cultural similarity between those two tribes is never in doubt.

That piece should be confined to the trash-bin

Sorry yoruboid exit.

All Yoruboid languages are tonal, with most of them having three level tones.

Igala is a language of the Yoruboid branch of the Volta–Niger language family, spoken by the Igala ethnic group of Nigeria. In 1989, an estimated 800,000 spoke Igala, primarily in Kogi State, Delta State and Edo State. Dialects include Ebu, Idah, Ankpa, Dekina, Ogugu, Ibaji, Ife. The Agatu, Idoma, and Bassa people use Igala for primary school. Igala is related to Yoruba. The Igala language as well as Igala culture and tradition has influenced other languages and cultures around the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by pazienza(m): 1:35pm On Feb 05, 2012
@blackpikin

igbanke people don't share similarities with anioma,they are anioma of ika stock. Just thought i should correct you.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 1:36pm On Feb 05, 2012
emmatok:

Sorry yoruboid exit.

All Yoruboid languages are tonal, with most of them having three level tones.

Igala is a language of the Yoruboid branch of the Volta–Niger language family, spoken by the Igala ethnic group of Nigeria. In 1989, an estimated 800,000 spoke Igala, primarily in Kogi State, Delta State and Edo State. Dialects include Ebu, Idah, Ankpa, Dekina, Ogugu, Ibaji, Ife. The Agatu, Idoma, and Bassa people use Igala for primary school. Igala is related to Yoruba. The Igala language as well as Igala culture and tradition has influenced other languages and cultures around the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers

There is no relationship whatsoever between Yoruba and some of those tribes no matter how u twist it
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 1:40pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

I couldn't respond to to Alj_harem on this issue of yoruboid since I was using my phone then.

[size=20pt]There is nothing like yoruboid, igboid, hausaoid, fulanoid, ijawoid etc[/size]

That piece should be confined to the trash-bin

alj harem:

I don't intend to burst anything, all I did is join ekt-bear to laugh na undecided

btw there are Igboid can you call it neologism

eg Ika, ekpere (no sure of the spelling) ngwa, onitsha, ezza(not sure of the spelling)

Yes or not ?

Ol boy

You are stretching it too far

Which ngwa and ezza are u talking about?

Towns inside Igbo heartland?

Why is it so easy to decode your intention in every thread?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:42pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

There is no relationship whatsoever between Yoruba and some of those tribes no matter how u twist it

LOL is that is you all point of calling and fighting that yoruboid neologism.

Igbiod are  Igbo proper (central dialect), Ikwerre, Ika, Izi (Izi–Ezaa–Ikwo–Mgbo), Ogba, and Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni,

also Ekpeye (Akpaohia) in rivers state

So is that neologism YES OR NO
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

LOL,

What tribe are you talking about Itsekiri, EDO or Igala.

Go read you history well.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:45pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

Ol boy

You are stretching it too far

Which ngwa and ezza are u talking about?

Towns inside the heartland of Igboland?

Why is it so easy to decode your intention in every thread?

No I am not strentching, Do you even understand the concept that you are arguing about ?

Yes Ngwa and ezza are in Igboland but speak a totally different dialect from someone in ala owerri which is also different from an Onitsha man or ekpeye man

do you understand when an Ika man speaks ? don't lie to yourself

that is what we are talking about here. Although they sound similar but not exactly the same, that is why they add "oid" to the end of the language
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 1:46pm On Feb 05, 2012

Agbor  are not EDO, they are Igbos

Agbor, also known as Agbor Boji Boji, is a town in Delta state, Nigeria. The indigenes of Agbor town are of Ika descent, a [distant Jews people] group with heavy survival influence. The name "Agbor" is from the Gbori word "Gbori" which means "Growth" or "Develop" land. The people of Agbor have traditionally relied on farming and fishing for their food and commerce. Its history is dominated by the many warriors it has produced. Agbor was once affiliated with the Benin Empire before the British conquered Benin, although the idea of Agbor being a colony of Benin is disputed.[1]
The traditional ruler of Agbor is known as Obi. The current Obi of Agbor is Benjamin Ikechuku, Keagborekuzi I who goes by Dein (De or Deede in other Igbo dialects), the name of his ruling house,[2] instead of Obi
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 1:48pm On Feb 05, 2012
emmatok:

LOL,

What tribe are you talking about Itsekiri, EDO or Igala.

Go read you history well.

That's a lazy way to debate.

Point at those cultural, linguistic similarities.

I said some, and Itsekiri is not included in my list

Can we start with Igala and Edo then progress to others?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by pazienza(m): 1:50pm On Feb 05, 2012
stpat1:

I wonder why anyone would still be thinking the Edos are more closely tied to the Igbos than the Yorubas when all evidence clearly leads to them originating from the west. Its just the rivers ppl being more closely knitted to the Igbos than the akwa ibom even if they also share border with akwa iboms, they are more close to the Igbos.

I am Edo and I ahve said it times without number and will continue to say it
EDOs have no relationship with the Igbos, the only contact the had was in trade. chikena. No relation to culture, religion, names, kingship system, beliefs, etc.

rivers people? There is no group that go by that name,if you mean ndoni,egbema,ndoki,ogba,asa,ikwerre tribes,yeah! They are of the  same stock with ngwa,nri,oru,isuama,izzi,ezza,aro,enuani,ukwuani,nkanu,nsukka tribes,hope you grab wink
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ade80: 1:52pm On Feb 05, 2012
In Yoruba land, there are a lot of dialects and some have similarities
Ekiti
Owo
Akoko
Ilaje
Ondo
All these people speak different languages that the other tribes don't understand So to prove that the languages are not similar, you need to research very dialect not just the general Yoruba language.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 1:58pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

No I am not strentching, Do you even understand the concept that you are arguing about ?

Yes Ngwa and ezza are in Igboland but speak a totally different [size=18pt]dialect[/size] from someone in ala owerri which is also different from an Onitsha man or ekpeye man

do you understand when an Ika man speaks ? don't lie to yourself

that is what we are talking about here. Although they sound similar but not exactly the same, that is why they add "oid" to the end of the language

The bolded has answered your question.

I hope you can distinguish between language and dialect?

There is nothing like yoruboid.

Yoruba is a different language from Igala.

They don't share any linguistic similarity and Igala is not a yoruba dialect
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 2:04pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

That's a lazy way to debate.

Point at those cultural, linguistic similarities.

I said some, and Itsekiri is not included in my list

Can we start with Igala and Edo then progress to others?

We have enough of that on NL.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ade80: 2:05pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

Certain traditions even hold that the Igala are of Fulani origin, simply because of the similarities in their physical features.  It IS clear that Fulanis do not speak a Kwa language. And owing to the linguistic affinity, others affirm the Yoruba connections. For Byng Halt notes that, "It is not surprising that within a short period of arrival in Igala land, a Yoruba is well acquainted with the language.”  He attributes the ease in learning the language to the closeness of the two languages. Armstrong sticks to this same view when he said: "the most definite historical statement that can be made about Igala is that . they had a common origin with the Yoruba and that the separation took place long enough ago to allow for their fairly considerable linguistic differences. There is a whole corpus of oral traditions on the origin of the Igala people.

http://igalaassociationusa.org/ViewContent.aspx?id=13
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 2:05pm On Feb 05, 2012
ade_77:

In Yoruba land, there are a lot of dialects and some have similarities
Ekiti
Owo
Akoko
Ilaje
Ondo
All these people speak different languages that the other tribes don't understand So to prove that the languages are not similar, you need to research very dialect not just the general Yoruba language.

You forgot to add IJEBU which most IJEBU children don't understand.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by musiwa43: 2:06pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10 , stop telling lies on the internet . i  understand Igala. Igala is yoruboid.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 2:09pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

LOL dude you are bitter and I don't have your time. Even if I prove and discuss, you are not willing to learn and open you mind for a non-biased discussion.

I understand Igala if you must know

I am out hehehehe grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 2:09pm On Feb 05, 2012
From Musiwa1
musiwa,,.:

ACM10 , stop telling lies on the internet . i  understand Igala. [size=18pt]Igala is yoruboid. I speak Igala.[/size]  

From Musiwa2
musiwa,,.:

ACM10 , stop telling lies on the internet . i  understand Igala. [size=18pt]Igala is yoruboid. . . .[/size] undecided

grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 2:10pm On Feb 05, 2012
ade_77:

Certain traditions even hold that the Igala are of Fulani origin, simply because of the similarities in their physical features.  It IS clear that Fulanis do not speak a Kwa language. And owing to the linguistic affinity, others affirm the Yoruba connections. For Byng Halt notes that, "It is not surprising that within a short period of arrival in Igala land, a Yoruba is well acquainted with the language.”  He attributes the ease in learning the language to the closeness of the two languages. Armstrong sticks to this same view when he said: "the most definite historical statement that can be made about Igala is that . they had a common origin with the Yoruba and that the separation took place long enough ago to allow for their fairly considerable linguistic differences. There is a whole corpus of oral traditions on the origin of the Igala people.

http://igalaassociationusa.org/ViewContent.aspx?id=13

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked from Igala website shocked shocked shocked you just killed ACM10 grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 2:12pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

he he he

I guess Igala is now yoruboid because u can speak it.

My cousin can speak yoruba fluently. Hope Igbo now qualifies to be yoruboid?

is ur cousin anioma, if yes then it is natural, there are yoruboid groups in delta ibo land Ugbodo etc are all yoruba speaking ares in delta north
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 2:12pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

LOL dude you are bitter and I don't have your time. Even if I prove and discuss, you are not willing to learn and open you mind for a non-biased discussion.

I understand Igala if you must know

I am out hehehehe grin

U got nothing to prove, boy

Take your lies elsewhere
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 2:19pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

U got nothing to prove, boy

Take your lies elsewhere

tehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin dude you are just fighting the air

anyway efuko'lo ne me ? meaning do you have a job in igala language ?

Yep I understand Igala it quite alright and it is very similar to yoruba grin grin grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 2:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
"It is not surprising that within a short period of arrival in Igala land, a Yoruba is well acquainted with the language.”  He attributes the ease in learning the language to the closeness of the two languages.
alj harem:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked from Igala website shocked shocked shocked you just killed ACM10 grin grin grin grin grin

Ol boy why are u making caricature of yourself.

Do u really enjoy the beat-down from me?

Who doesn't get acquainted with new language if he wants?

My old school pal learnt french within one month of his stay in Togo

Can we attribute his ease in learning the language to the closeness of the two languages[i](Igbo and French)[/i]?

Thanks for the comic-relief btw. You'll blossom if u opt for a career in comedy
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 2:24pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

Ol boy why are u making caricature of yourself.

Do u really enjoy the beat-down from me?

Who doesn't get acquainted with new language if he wants?

My old school pal learnt french within one month of his stay in Togo

Can we attribute his ease in learning the language to the closeness of the two languages[i](Igbo and French)[/i]?

Thanks for the comic-relief btw. You'll blossom if u opt for a career in comedy

igala
A Nigerian ethnic group located in the middle belt/north of Nigeria (Kogi State). They speak the "Igala" dialect which sounds alot like yoruba and have a very diverse culture and intonation depending on the part of Kogi state they're from.
I'm an Igala girl from Dekina (Dekina is a local government in Kogi state where they speak "Igala"wink

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=igala
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

is ur cousin anioma, if yes then it is natural, there are yoruboid groups in delta ibo land Ugbodo etc are all yoruba speaking ares in delta north

Boundary demarcation Alj_harem style

My cousin is a full-blooded Anambra man
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by emmatok(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

tehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin dude you are just fighting the air

anyway efuko'lo ne me ? meaning do you have a job in igala language ?

Yep I understand Igala it quite alright and it is very similar to yoruba grin grin grin

Abegi leave these Igbo people alone,

First they said Edos are less cultural link to Yoruba than Igbo now it is Iglala they are fighting for.

I bet If Ijebu land is located in the SS the will say Ijebus are not Yorubas. grin grin grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

Boundary demarcation Alj_harem style

My cousin is a full-blooded Anambra man

Onitsha right then again it is natural

emmatok:

First they said Edos are less cultural link to Yoruba than Igbo now it is Iglala they are fighting for.

I bet If Ijebu land is located in the SS the will say Ijebus are not Yorubas.

I remember we have some igala guy here on NL and he was trying to explain things to likes of ACM10 until he was chased away

tehehehe  grin grin(meant for Onlytruth, ACM10, Obiagu)
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 2:32pm On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

igala
A Nigerian ethnic group located in the middle belt/north of Nigeria (Kogi State). They speak the "Igala" dialect which sounds alot like yoruba and have a very diverse culture and intonation depending on the part of Kogi state they're from.
I'm an Igala girl from Dekina (Dekina is a local government in Kogi state where they speak "Igala"wink

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=igala

My problem with yorubas is that they can quote anything to support their jaundiced view.

They don't mind quoting obscure websites to support their view.

So you now view kogi as yoruba-only territory.

Do you know that there are some Igbo villages in Kogi?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ACM10: 2:35pm On Feb 05, 2012
emmatok:

I bet If Ijebu land is located in the SS the will say Ijebus are not Yorubas. grin grin grin

You have not proved any thing.

Show me some major cultural and linguistic similarities between yoruba and edo.

Is it really fun to be silly?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (36) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Coronavirus: Umar Farouk, Emir Of Daura Rushed To Intensive Care Unit / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.