Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,465 members, 7,836,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (814041 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 9:27am On Sep 14, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

Once you get your broadband and use a vpn it's almost impossible for anyone except the CIA and mi5 to monitor the content of your traffic.
grin angry grin cheesy....tell them
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:27am On Sep 14, 2014
All in all. Piracy is illegal and i don't think any of us will be too happy if people were enjoying our hardwork for free.

It was illegal when you were in Nigeria and it is still illegal in the uk with grave consequences.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 9:54am On Sep 14, 2014
@HudsonBanks: Skype calls to Nigeria is even cheaper than Rebtel sir..

Someone should please check this out and tell me what I'm missing here...This deal from vectone seems to have it all for just 10quids p/m

http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/offers/student-mobile-deals.aspx

GeneralShepherd: All in all. Piracy is illegal and i don't think any of us will be too happy if people were enjoying our hardwork for free.
It was illegal when you were in Nigeria and it is still illegal in the uk with grave consequences.

Wait oooh,,, Lemme understand something, If I stream series online from sites like 'www.tubeplus.me' which is free and my favorite, that is piracy right?

@All: The thing about this having WiFi in school and hostel, it's always nice to be able to still connect freely to the internet when you're on the go..away from both locations...hence the need for a plan with data is kinda necessary for me..but a plan with at least 2GB should be just fine...don't know about these internet content eaters we have here that are swallowing data with underground pipes grin grin (Didn't mention any names ooh)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 10:02am On Sep 14, 2014
kingsilly:
One of the good idea of staying off campus..£7-15 not bad @ all...tanks spike C...

its 20pounds monthly for unlimited broadband too much?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:15am On Sep 14, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

its 20pounds monthly for unlimited broadband too much?

Are you referring to phone deal that gives you unlimited data for internet?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 11:17am On Sep 14, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I don't know if it's fishy though

But open command prompt with administrator privilege and type

netsh set hostednetwork mode=allow said=networkname key=password keyusage=persistent

Netsh start hostednetwork

And you are good to go,you can replace the networkname and passport with any variable of choice

Are you for real@??
But u sure it'll werk... can't have security inviting me for a chat session o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 11:20am On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Yea I know about unlimited broadband in Uni but on reading the IT policy for broadband usage of my school there's a clause where downlaoding copyrighted material(movies, music, software e.g) & peer to peer downloads(torrents and all) are prohibited and can result in suspension & eventual ban from the service. That's why I want my own data for such downloads cos I consume a lot of data per month(my current usage stands at a minimum of 15gb/month).

I no fit for their wahala.

Too many red tapes..... It's better to get your own. My monthly average usage is 210GB, that's why I use BT Fibre Optic Unlimited.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 11:26am On Sep 14, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

Dem plenty,I've changed my Nokia and Sony before both after 3months or more

Really? Like plenty?
Never met any. It's either they r looking for a way to work it or a way to have u buy new one from them...the ones I've seen, that is. smiley.
I'm sure you are their "special customer"
CarphoneWarehouse has replaced my blackberry 9800 three times since 2010 cos it seems to malfunction after a year, and they say Blackberry doesn't work on phones, they replace dem with brand new ones instead. So. When it develops it's skoin-skoin, I just take it der n after 7-10 w/days, I have my brand new phone with replacement accessories like screen protector which was in the other one, free of charge.

Moreover, with other gadgets, you get free repairs n diagnosis within one year of ur purchase. Not many shops in Naija do so..

That's y i'll rather buy in UK Dan go to Naija to buy. My take sha.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 11:32am On Sep 14, 2014
Please people don't try to configure VPN on the Uni's network without permission o. This thing might get you in big trouble.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 11:34am On Sep 14, 2014
LabourParty: Please people don't try to configure VPN on the Uni's network without permission o. This thing might get you in big trouble.

My fear exactly... Ok I give up. Thanx to the pc geeks that game some great ideas. I'ld try it from my house using my broadband. cheesy. BT wouldn't arrest me now, would they? smiley.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 11:53am On Sep 14, 2014
LabourParty:

Too many red tapes..... It's better to get your own. My monthly average usage is 210GB, that's why I use BT Fibre Optic Unlimited.

How much be d first start up abi setup device free(Is torrent included)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 12:00pm On Sep 14, 2014
kingsilly:

How much be d first start up abi setup device free(Is torrent included)

I didn't pay for any setup, because I have a year contract with BT , so they arranged everything. I currently pay £41 a month, but you can get other services for cheaper prices sha. BT doesn't care what you do with the internet.

You can download and configure anything you like on your Network/SOHO (Small office Home Office)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Oh really? I was certain there's a way you can tether network from a pc but seems they blocked it cos ppl could hardly feed their wireless devices with it, at least I dunno of any1 who did. Seems you'll gimme some lessons in this. smiley.
Now I'm regretting why I refused to major in computer science things

It's quite easy. It's either you buy a small wireless router or you setup hotspot on your PC.
To setup hotspot, i would advise you download connectify, you pay for it though or you look for free ones. They're plenty online

GeneralShepherd:

I don't know if it's fishy though

But open command prompt with administrator privilege and type

netsh set hostednetwork mode=allow said=networkname key=password keyusage=persistent

Netsh start hostednetwork

And you are good to go,you can replace the networkname and passport with any variable of choice

You're confusing her the more grin

justwise:

With school network you wouldn't have admin privilege, that will be serious security flaw.

That is for cmd on your PC not admin server
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 1:25pm On Sep 14, 2014
LabourParty:

My sweet goodness shocked shocked Master!! @210gb average/month *passes out*. I'm a learner in data usage close to you oo.

Please how much did it cost you to setup and how much in total does it cost you per month?

Edited: Never mind I've gotten my answers from your post above.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 1:42pm On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

My sweet goodness shocked shocked Master!! @210gb average/month *passes out*. I'm a learner in data usage close to you oo.

Please how much did it cost you to setup and how much in total does it cost you per month?

Edited: Never mind I've gotten my answers from your post above.

Me self faint seeing wat he accumulated in just 13 days...**faints again**
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 1:55pm On Sep 14, 2014
kingsilly:
Me self faint seeing wat he accumulated in just 13 days...**faints again**

Hahahahahahaha grin cry . Afraid catch me I no go lie.

I don't think I'll be willing to shell out £30+/month for only dedicated broadband oo and I don't think Uni accommodation will even allow me install such hardware for that service. I go just jeje manage 3 UK all-you-can-eat mobile data Add-on. angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 2:39pm On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Hahahahahahaha grin cry . Afraid catch me I no go lie.

I don't think I'll be willing to shell out £30+/month for only dedicated broadband oo and I don't think Uni accommodation will even allow me install such hardware for that service. I go just jeje manage 3 UK all-you-can-eat mobile data Add-on. angry
There's a much flexible one for student also unlimited..d guy na business man.see link below

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/student-offer/index.html

Buh not for u wey dey inside skol...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 3:04pm On Sep 14, 2014
Emmagency: @HudsonBanks: Skype calls to Nigeria is even cheaper than Rebtel sir..

Someone should please check this out and tell me what I'm missing here...This deal from vectone seems to have it all for just 10quids p/m

http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/offers/student-mobile-deals.aspx

Wait oooh,,, Lemme understand something, If I stream series online from sites like 'www.tubeplus.me' which is free and my favorite, that is piracy right?

@All: The thing about this having WiFi in school and hostel, it's always nice to be able to still connect freely to the internet when you're on the go..away from both locations...hence the need for a plan with data is kinda necessary for me..but a plan with at least 2GB should be just fine...don't know about these internet content eaters we have here that are swallowing data with underground pipes grin grin (Didn't mention any names ooh)

Had to bring this back to capture your attention guys and to get answers on this as this post was deleted by the NL 'werey' antispam bot.. Thanks to justy who I believe corrected the issh..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 3:36pm On Sep 14, 2014
justwise:

Are you referring to phone deal that gives you unlimited data for internet?

Am referring to sky broadband for the house
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 3:45pm On Sep 14, 2014
wen u pick a connecting flight to a country, if u reach d first country wud they allow u move around pending the time the connecting flight is ready?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:50pm On Sep 14, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

Am referring to sky broadband for the house

£20 is not bad, i guess the package includes landline as well?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:52pm On Sep 14, 2014
paradisewoods: wen u pick a connecting flight to a country, if u reach d first country wud they allow u move around pending the time the connecting flight is ready?

You will not be allowed to leave the airport.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 4:08pm On Sep 14, 2014
kingsilly:

Huh just dat.... Me averaging 25gb per month...(my movies nd tv series are all 1080p)...maybe I'll just buy a seperate unlimited broadband sha.cuz I'm not living inside school

Most houses come with broadband if you lucky. But you can be able to do 22 GBP for broadban, if you have none.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 4:15pm On Sep 14, 2014
justwise:

You will not be allowed to leave the airport.

Haa JW, so i ll be inside the airport for 6hrs 30mins
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
paradisewoods:

Lol...you can tour the airport

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 4:23pm On Sep 14, 2014
paradisewoods:

Hehehe... What did you think bro? Better brace yourself for it.. One of my friend will also be having about 8 hours transit.. You can get a transit visa that'll allow you leave the airport tho..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cookies: 8:38pm On Sep 14, 2014
Hello house, pls can anyone advice me on how to go about, installing sky tv & broadband in my flat? Just moved in. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 8:41pm On Sep 14, 2014
kingsilly:
There's a much flexible one for student also unlimited..d guy na business man.see link below

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/student-offer/index.html

Buh not for u wey dey inside skol...

Ehh all those plans no still cheap, for example you pay £14/month + £15.99 monthly line rental that's equals £29.99 except you share with flatmates which then splits the cost and makes it cheap.

Me go manage mobile data as I dey Uni accommodation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 8:44pm On Sep 14, 2014
Emmagency:

Had to bring this back to capture your attention guys and to get answers on this as this post was deleted by the NL 'werey' antispam bot.. Thanks to justy who I believe corrected the issh..

You no mention names but we know ourselves lol.

That vectone go get comma the way I dey see am cos its too good to be true. Them virtual network providers always have something up their sleeves.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:53pm On Sep 14, 2014
Emmagency:

HudsonBanks:
[color=#000099]You no mention names but we know ourselves lol.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 9:06pm On Sep 14, 2014
paradisewoods:

Excursion at the airport it is. Which country is the airport in? If it's Dubai, you should be able to get the visa at the airport I believe. By the way, have you sorted out the accommodation thing? You didn't mention again.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 10:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

You no mention names but we know ourselves lol.

That vectone go get comma the way I dey see am cos its too good to be true. Them virtual network providers always have something up their sleeves.

Hehehe... Think I'm gonna go with it and if there's a comma, I just swallow it as part of life kinda bad decisions and opt out...since it's a monthly deal anyway..

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (213) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.