Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810696 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
735i: Okay..Thanks a lot. One last question please;
Would i encounter the same challenges with entry if i decided to visit Nigeria instead? I mean; give the circumstances i mentioned earlier...

In addition to justwise's suggestions, coming back for your graduation ceremony is also another cogent reason.

As for visiting Dubai, I would suggest that you tread gently. Following the submission of my MSc dissertation last year, I had wanted to visit another country (not UAE though), but the ''6 months'' rule was a barrier. I do not know for sure if the UAE takes this seriously. However, I thought that you shouldn't encounter any form of challenges on your re-entry into the UK in as much as you have always been a genuine student. Cheers bro..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 2:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
HudsonBanks: I've officially ported to this thread grin. Booked my flight in faith before going to submit my application at Abuja and now that faith has materialized smiley.
.WOW...were my champagne nahh sad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 2:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
HudsonBanks: I've officially ported to this thread grin. Booked my flight in faith before going to submit my application at Abuja and now that faith has materialized smiley.

Congrats bro. Faith works for the genuine applicants grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
kingsilly:
.WOW...were my champagne nahh sad

You dey owe me two bottles I owe you one. Minus that one then keep my remaining one bottle for me wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
FutureDon:

Truly bro Lol. Emphasis on the genuine grin. Thanks mate!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2014
FutureDon:

In addition to justwise's suggestions, coming back for your graduation ceremony is also another cogent reason.

As for visiting Dubai, I would suggest that you tread gently. Following the submission of my MSc dissertation last year, I had wanted to visit another country (not UAE though), but the ''6 months'' rule was a barrier. I do not know for sure if the UAE takes this seriously. However, I thought that you shouldn't encounter any form of challenges on your re-entry into the UK in as much as you have always been a genuine student. Cheers bro..

Thanks a lot bro… i have always been a genuine student cheesy cheesy… i'm a "good guys"

justwise:
Not really, i know some friends who did just that after their dissertation and still return back to the UK, some were questioned at the POE and they said they were coming back to pick their stuff....result, look for possibility of doing Phd etc and were allowed in.

Okay..Thanks a plenty…. I'll be prepared in case i'm asked questions.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 3:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
HudsonBanks:

You dey owe me two bottles I owe you one. Minus that one then keep my remaining one bottle for me wink
Wen u dey move??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 3:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
kingsilly:
Wen u dey move??

Movement is for 25th of this month, exactly 2 weeks from today.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 5:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Movement is for 25th of this month, exactly 2 weeks from today.

Ok den...me moving 17th exactly a week from today
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 6:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
kingsilly:

Ok den...me moving 17th exactly a week from today

Alrightie make sense. Na the Emirates you book Abi?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 6:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hi all, please I need a genuine method on how to get some funds from my GTBank Naira account as my GTB Naira mastercard just started misbehaving. The chip cannot be read on POS or ATM machines in the UK.
Please, I need help urgently.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 7:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Alrightie make sense. Na the Emirates you book Abi?
Yea..me dey go Portsmouth(south be dat)...which part u go dey??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 7:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
kingsilly:

Correct! You no far from me at all na, I go dey Guildford Surrey just an hour train ride away. My champagne! grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 7:53pm On Sep 11, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Correct! You no far from me at all na, I go dey Guildford Surrey just an hour train ride away. My champagne! grin
grin grin.....haaaaa...dey pursue me...hehehe

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
peteafrik88: Hi all, please I need a genuine method on how to get some funds from my GTBank Naira account as my GTB Naira mastercard just started misbehaving. The chip cannot be read on POS or ATM machines in the UK.
Please, I need help urgently.
Thanks

Call GTCONNECT and let them know
I know they can send new cards but the charge for courier and they will need you to sign indemnity in case its lost

Just use the card and buy stuff online in the meantime if that works
If you do decide to request for a new card then use internet banking to transfer your cash into the account that is not linked to gtcard and transfer back when you receive your card.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gbemmiey: 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
spikesC: A fact about me:

First student to register in the University of Greenwich, Medway campus for the 2014 session with issue no 01 cool

grin Awon goons! thumbs up. wish I were there already
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:53pm On Sep 11, 2014
735i:

LOL…Nice one… Didn't know you're coming to Medway…it's not too far from where i am. If you play enter Canterbury…Holla me!!

@ Justwise; I need your opinion;
My Tier 4 Visa (multiple entry) expires in January 2015 and my MSc programme ends on the 20th of this month. I want to visit Dubai for about 14 days and come back to the UK. However, as at the time i would be returning to the UK, my programme would have ended officially.
I'm processing my Dubai Tourist Visa from Nigeria. My question is; will i be allowed back into the UK given the fact that my programme would have ended by the time of my return?

No problem man. Though i am now back to Ipswich.
Even went to Coventry uni today as I just dey waka waka waka grin

Will be in Medway permanently next week
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
FutureDon:

grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 3:46am On Sep 12, 2014
kingsilly:

Nice one bruh... Welcome to the South
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 8:39am On Sep 12, 2014
peteafrik88:

Nice one bruh... Welcome to the South
ARE U IN PORTSMOUTH ??...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pholareen1(m): 4:10pm On Sep 12, 2014
Observing!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 4:48pm On Sep 12, 2014
kingsilly:
ARE U IN PORTSMOUTH ??...

Yeah yeah... Welcome to the Waterfront city
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 5:15pm On Sep 12, 2014
peteafrik88:

Yeah yeah... Welcome to the Waterfront city

Whew..one person @ last...I'm planning sorting my accommodation wen I arrive...hope getting accommodation ain't hectic??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 7:31pm On Sep 12, 2014
kingsilly:

Whew..one person @ last...I'm planning sorting my accommodation wen I arrive...hope getting accommodation ain't hectic??

Firstly, I dont know when you are arriving. Secondly, I cant guarantee you it is not going to be hectic but its sort of work especially when the uni is resuming on monday.
Agents could be your best shot at the end of it all. I suggest you use rightmove, umoove & gumtree for early approach.
Dont forget some deposit & reliable UK referee for the accommodation.
Good luck
kingsilly:

Firstly, I dont know when you are arriving. Secondly, I cant guarantee you it is not going to be hectic but its sort of work especially when the uni is resuming on monday.
Agents could be your best shot at the end of it all. I suggest you use rightmove, umoove & gumtree for early approach.
Good luck
kingsilly:

Good luck
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 1:20am On Sep 13, 2014
Hello people... Kindly help take a look at this... Been having kind of a tough time settling for a mobile plan as I require a plan that gives reasonable data as well as certain amount of minutes to Nigeria. But haven't been able to find any sha(As you cannot have it both ways; it's either a naija plan with certain amount of minutes with no data or a UK plan with data but no given minutes for naija calls).. So i stumbled upon this from Lebara for 12quids p/m:

UK minutes - 1000

UK SMS - Unlimited

Data - 2GB

Lebara to Lebara UK calls/SMS - Unlimited

Calls to naija will be charged from my PAYG account at 1p/m and 3p/m for fixed and mobile lines respectively.

Anyone enjoying a better plan than this? Because I've been stuck with O2 which I bought at Heathrow out of necessity sake and I need to switch ASAP!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:38am On Sep 13, 2014
Emmagency: Hello people... Kindly help take a look at this... Been having kind of a tough time settling for a mobile plan as I require a plan that gives reasonable data as well as certain amount of minutes to Nigeria. But haven't been able to find any sha(As you cannot have it both ways; it's either a naija plan with certain amount of minutes with no data or a UK plan with data but no given minutes for naija calls).. So i stumbled upon this from Lebara for 12quids p/m:

UK minutes - 1000

UK SMS - Unlimited

Data - 2GB

Lebara to Lebara UK calls/SMS - Unlimited

Calls to naija will be charged from my PAYG account at 1p/m and 3p/m for fixed and mobile lines respectively.

Anyone enjoying a better plan than this? Because I've been stuck with O2 which I bought at Heathrow out of necessity sake and I need to switch ASAP!

Getting into a contract is something you should never rush into.
You should consider your needs and your options first.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 7:02am On Sep 13, 2014
spikesC:

Getting into a contract is something you should never rush into.
You should consider your needs and your options first.

Yea.. I'm quite aware of that... I've done a lot of comparison and this looks like the best option and it's a sim-only deal so I should be able to opt out whenever I choose. My question is who is currently enjoying a better deal than this and on which network guys?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:55pm On Sep 13, 2014
Emmagency:

Yea.. I'm quite aware of that... I've done a lot of comparison and this looks like the best option and it's a sim-only deal so I should be able to opt out whenever I choose. My question is who is currently enjoying a better deal than this and on which network guys?

No, you can't opt out of a contract unless it's a month contract and most sim-only contracts are 12months long
There's a price to pay to opt out of a long term contract
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:37pm On Sep 13, 2014
Emmagency:

unfortunately as you have stated, you cant have it both way and most of the lyca-lebara-vectone-giffgaff, have a trade off

the best you can do is, use it for a month or so, weight you options and move on, it's all dependent on individual usage, uni/accommodation wifi access, etc

the good thing is you can always move with you number

or pay a bit more and get better options
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2014
spikesC:

No, you can't opt out of a contract unless it's a month contract and most sim-only contracts are 12months long
There's a price to pay to opt out of a long term contract

I get you bro.. I'm sure as hell ain't doing a long term contract.. I'm planning on doing monthly contracts naa ni... I remember you asking a question on mobile plans sometime back...have you settled for any?

DisGuy:
unfortunately as you have stated, you cant have it both way and most of the lyca-lebara-vectone-giffgaff, have a trade off
the best you can do is, use it for a month or so, weight you options and move on, it's all dependent on individual usage, uni/accommodation wifi access, etc
the good thing is you can always move with you number
or pay a bit more and get better options

Thanks man..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 4:35pm On Sep 13, 2014
Well this mobile network matter has been troubling me too for a bit now but here is what I plan to do; Get a sim only deal with lots of UK minutes and unlimited text and unlimited data, then use Rebtel for all my international calls. Rebtel rates to US & Canada is just $0.015 per minute(i.e 1.5cents or 3naira) and $0.069 per minute to Nigeria(i.e 6.9cents or 11.5naira). All I need is enough data to make all my calls, even in the absence of data Rebtel has an access number you can dial with your UK minutes and it connects your call without the use of data.

So with all that said, the network provider I intend going for is 3 UK with a sim only pay-as-you-go Add-on like this http://store.three.co.uk/mobile/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=112

I'm open to advice from my bosses tho. Cc spikesC, DonOms, Emmagency

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 4:37pm On Sep 13, 2014
smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.