Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,463 members, 7,836,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (814038 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 5:11pm On Sep 13, 2014
TeamclicksAir: smiley

Your "Sweet" Qatar wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ispicy: 5:27pm On Sep 13, 2014
Hello house!
Pls guys hv a question bothering me,my E-passport has my english name which some of my required documents don't hv,will dat pose a problem while entering in2 d uk?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:13pm On Sep 13, 2014
HudsonBanks: Well this mobile network matter has been troubling me too for a bit now but here is what I plan to do; Get a sim only deal with lots of UK minutes and unlimited text and unlimited data, then use Rebtel for all my international calls. Rebtel rates to US & Canada is just $0.015 per minute(i.e 1.5cents or 3naira) and $0.069 per minute to Nigeria(i.e 6.9cents or 11.5naira). All I need is enough data to make all my calls, even in the absence of data Rebtel has an access number you can dial with your UK minutes and it connects your call without the use of data.

So with all that said, the network provider I intend going for is 3 UK with a sim only pay-as-you-go Add-on like this http://store.three.co.uk/mobile/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=112

I'm open to advice from my bosses tho. Cc spikesC, DonOms, Emmagency

Do you really need unlimited minutes and data?
Student accommodation normally comes with unlimited broadband
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 8:20pm On Sep 13, 2014
spikesC:

My tot exactly internet is least of problem staying in school accommodation...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 9:13pm On Sep 13, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Your "Sweet" Qatar wink
just love that airline.. awesome support etc

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 9:35pm On Sep 13, 2014
spikesC:

Yea I know about unlimited broadband in Uni but on reading the IT policy for broadband usage of my school there's a clause where downlaoding copyrighted material(movies, music, software e.g) & peer to peer downloads(torrents and all) are prohibited and can result in suspension & eventual ban from the service. That's why I want my own data for such downloads cos I consume a lot of data per month(my current usage stands at a minimum of 15gb/month).

I no fit for their wahala.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 9:38pm On Sep 13, 2014
kingsilly:
My tot exactly internet is least of problem staying in school accommodation...

Err what of when I comot go out of town nko? I just don't wanna have to depend on Uni internet.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 9:43pm On Sep 13, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Err what of when I comot go out of town nko? I just don't wanna have to depend on Uni internet.

Wen u move into town...how much mb u wan need till u return..??
Me neva sure too which to get...still tinking..
Wat abouh contract phone..international student dey eligible
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 10:02pm On Sep 13, 2014
kingsilly:

Wen u move into town...how much mb u wan need till u return..??
Me neva sure too which to get...still tinking..
Wat abouh contract phone..international student dey eligible

Well not very much tho but sometimes I prefer downloading on the go.

Ahhh me dey run from any form of contract oo. Not even sure if we qualify for such sef.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 10:52pm On Sep 13, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Yea I know about unlimited broadband in Uni but on reading the IT policy for broadband usage of my school there's a clause where downlaoding copyrighted material(movies, music, software e.g) & peer to peer downloads(torrents and all) are prohibited and can result in suspension & eventual ban from the service. That's why I want my own data for such downloads cos I consume a lot of data per month(my current usage stands at a minimum of 15gb/month).

Huh just dat.... Me averaging 25gb per month...(my movies nd tv series are all 1080p)...maybe I'll just buy a seperate unlimited broadband sha.cuz I'm not living inside school
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 11:41pm On Sep 13, 2014
HudsonBanks:

You seem to consume a lot of internet then. Well, one this is sure: Plan Yourself Well so you don't spend extra. Here in the UK, those little extras mean a lot.
The school internet is always very good and okay. You won't be banned if you attempt using torrents... it wouldn't even work and same with some internet providers like VirginMobile. If your uni accomm. is close to school, there will be wi-fi around school too so you may not really need too much internet except you're far away from school and not at home.

I think the £15 for 300minutes and unlimited data is still fine though. However, with giffgaff for the same £15, you get 500 minutes with unlimited texts and unlimited internet, and calling Nigeria is 5pence per minute (one of the cheapest)
If you call Nigeria very regularly, you'll add that rebtel cost too so you may be spending an average of £30 monthly.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 11:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
kingsilly:

Huh just dat.... Me averaging 25gb per month...(my movies nd tv series are all 1080p)...maybe I'll just buy a seperate unlimited broadband sha.cuz I'm not living inside school

lol. All ye internet data eaters. The accommodation you get might have internet in it. You'll just join other tenants to contribute the money to pay the bills. If it's not there, then you may plan getting one. You'll need it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by hsim247(m): 11:50pm On Sep 13, 2014
Guys, please advise me.
I'm to resume for me masters in the UK soon and would need to get a laptop and a smart phone. Better to buy them there or here?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 12:33am On Sep 14, 2014
hsim247: Guys, please advise me.
I'm to resume for me masters in the UK soon and would need to get a laptop and a smart phone. Better to buy them there or here?

Personally, I'd say buy both in Nigeria. As long as you're buying a genuine product, I believe the price is relatively cheaper in Nigeria than UK for the same product.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:35am On Sep 14, 2014
kingsilly:

You are a vexing somebody cheesy @ 1080p videos. Me dey manage 420p videos oo to save on data cost lol. Since you aren't gonna be living on campus you'll sure need a dedicated broadband cos them network providers don't even allow tethering on their unlimited mobile data plans.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:42am On Sep 14, 2014
DonOms:

You seem to consume a lot of internet then. Well, one this is sure: Plan Yourself Well so you don't spend extra. Here in the UK, those little extras mean a lot.
The school internet is always very good and okay. You won't be banned if you attempt using torrents... it wouldn't even work and same with some internet providers like VirginMobile. If your uni accomm. is close to school, there will be wi-fi around school too so you may not really need too much internet except you're far away from school and not at home.

I think the £15 for 300minutes and unlimited data is still fine though. However, with giffgaff for the same £15, you get 500 minutes with unlimited texts and unlimited internet, and calling Nigeria is 5pence per minute (one of the cheapest)
If you call Nigeria very regularly, you'll add that rebtel cost too so you may be spending an average of £30 monthly.

Yesso my Don I dey chop data like crase grin I'll probably try to see if I can use a paid VPN service to cloak my data content and do all my usual data grabbing with Uni broadband else I go with a mobile data alternative. My issue with giffgaff, Lyca & their likes is that T-mo users calling me on one of those networks I've mentioned will be charged outside their usual UK minutes meaning say people go dey think twice before calling me, and almost all my relatives in the UK are on T-mo so you see am.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 12:51am On Sep 14, 2014
spikesC:

Wow. My nonsense uni had Internet in the uni accommodation but they were wired. Do you can't use them on your phone's, except of course you did something fishy, but the IT technicians would track you fast fast.

So in such a situation, I would just grab the unlimited data plan.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 12:56am On Sep 14, 2014
hsim247: Guys, please advise me.

I would buy it in UK cos there's nothing as cool as warranty or returns if you change ur mind (eg. If you made a wrong choice and need to exchange it for another.
Of course it may be a little but more pricey but which vendor in Naija changes a phone for a brand new one if the phone malfunctions within 9-15 months of use?
Just my thoughts.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 1:16am On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Yesso my Don I dey chop data like crase grin I'll probably try to see if I can use a paid VPN service to cloak my data content and do all my usual data grabbing with Uni broadband else I go with a mobile data alternative. My issue with giffgaff, Lyca & their likes is that T-mo users calling me on one of those networks I've mentioned will be charged outside their usual UK minutes meaning say people go dey think twice before calling me, and almost all my relatives in the UK are on T-mo so you see am.

VPN service will sure help and I hope your school doesn't notice...lol. I never knew about the T-mobile users having to pay more to call giffgaff numbers and lyca. Anyway, the 3 option is quite okay too, sine the unlimited internet is the priority.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:28am On Sep 14, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Wow. My nonsense uni had Internet in the uni accommodation but they were wired. Do you can't use them on your phone's, except of course you did something fishy, but the IT technicians would track you fast fast.

So in such a situation, I would just grab the unlimited data plan.

There's nothing fishy about getting a wireless router or even using your PC as a hotspot.

Tech things ugh grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:31am On Sep 14, 2014
kingsilly:

You can get a home unlimited broadband, it's very cheap.
Around £7 to £15
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 5:20am On Sep 14, 2014
spikesC:

There's nothing fishy about getting a wireless router or even using your PC as a hotspot.

Tech things ugh grin

Oh really? I was certain there's a way you can tether network from a pc but seems they blocked it cos ppl could hardly feed their wireless devices with it, at least I dunno of any1 who did. Seems you'll gimme some lessons in this. smiley.
Now I'm regretting why I refused to major in computer science things
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:50am On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

When you cloak your device with a paid vpn,your downloads wil go through but your computer will be generating unusual traffic,this will flag your device and result in an investigation. When they check your device, it'll have copyright violation written all over it

Avoid torrenting with school Internet by all means
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:59am On Sep 14, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Oh really? I was certain there's a way you can tether network from a pc but seems they blocked it cos ppl could hardly feed their wireless devices with it, at least I dunno of any1 who did. Seems you'll gimme some lessons in this. smiley.
Now I'm regretting why I refused to major in computer science things

I don't know if it's fishy though

But open command prompt with administrator privilege and type

netsh set hostednetwork mode=allow said=networkname key=password keyusage=persistent

Netsh start hostednetwork

And you are good to go,you can replace the networkname and passport with any variable of choice

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:03am On Sep 14, 2014
3sha4lyf:

I would buy it in UK cos there's nothing as cool as warranty or returns if you change ur mind (eg. If you made a wrong choice and need to exchange it for another.
Of course it may be a little but more pricey but which vendor in Naija changes a phone for a brand new one if the phone malfunctions within 9-15 months of use?
Just my thoughts.

Dem plenty,I've changed my Nokia and Sony before both after 3months or more
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:06am On Sep 14, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I don't know if it's fishy though

But open command prompt with administrator privilege and type

netsh set hostednetwork mode=allow said=networkname key=password keyusage=persistent

Netsh start hostednetwork

And you are good to go,you can replace the networkname and passport with any variable of choice

With school network you wouldn't have admin privilege, that will be serious security flaw.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 7:40am On Sep 14, 2014
DonOms:

VPN service will sure help and I hope your school doesn't notice...lol. I never knew about the T-mobile users having to pay more to call giffgaff numbers and lyca. Anyway, the 3 option is quite okay too, sine the unlimited internet is the priority.

I think they might eventually lol. I'll just go with the 3 since you said it isn't a bad deal and data is the priority, my phone will handle all my heavy downloads then I transfer to my computer. I just wanna avoid any sorta red flag. Thanks Don smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 7:47am On Sep 14, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

When you cloak your device with a paid vpn,your downloads wil go through but your computer will be generating unusual traffic,this will flag your device and result in an investigation. When they check your device, it'll have copyright violation written all over it

Avoid torrenting with school Internet by all means

Exactly! I thought of that too that's why I started searching for a mobile network provider that offers all-you-can-eat data for a reasonable price. I'll stick with your advice and avoid torrenting with school internet. Thanks bro.

Which of the network providers do you intend on using yourself?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nanaba777: 7:50am On Sep 14, 2014
Those giving wrong advice on this internet thingy don't give the boys problems in the white man's land oo. Better get an unlimited mobile broadband btw I heard copyright violation ban is being aggressively enforced in the UK oo OR?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 8:54am On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Exactly! I thought of that too that's why I started searching for a mobile network provider that offers all-you-can-eat data for a reasonable price. I'll stick with your advice and avoid torrenting with school internet. Thanks bro.

Which of the network providers do you intend on using yourself?
One of the good idea of staying off campus..£7-15 not bad @ all...tanks spike C...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:19am On Sep 14, 2014
justwise:

With school network you wouldn't have admin privilege, that will be serious security flaw.

I meant local system administrator not network administrator.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:22am On Sep 14, 2014
nanaba777: Those giving wrong advice on this internet thingy don't give the boys problems in the white man's land oo. Better get an unlimited mobile broadband btw I heard copyright violation ban is being aggressively enforced in the UK oo OR?

Once you get your broadband and use a vpn it's almost impossible for anyone except the CIA and mi5 to monitor the content of your traffic.

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (213) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.