Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (535282 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 8:01pm On Feb 11, 2016
yungreezy:
Hi, what course are you going for? And whats the tuition for ur course

Masters of Engineering in Power System Engineering... My Bro... The tuition is about CAD25k.

Why did you ask?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maximus89: 8:59am On Feb 13, 2016
please house,i would love to know d outcome after finishing a graduate certificate program in canada, can i apply direct for masters in canada with my bsc statistics (from nigeria) and my graduate certificate infosec management (from canada)...pls i would love to stay in canada, so how can i go abt it. please help a brother. thank u

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Futurewiser: 12:50pm On Feb 13, 2016
Royat1:
Please, how much is the minimum amount someone can one earn from part time jobs in Regina, sk.

Regina tuition is very high 16,000 dollar per year excluding living expenses and accommodation ooh. lets say u get a job that pays 10 dollar per hour. you are allowed to work only 20 hourse per week meaning 80 hour per month/4 weeks so you earn 800 dollars per month then times a year is 9,600 which cannot even pay the tuition fee of 16,000 per year. Out of the 800 you earn per month, remove like 400 for accommodation you will have 400 left. remove feeding and transport and books and call cards and other expenses that may arise monthly and u have 00.00
I will advise you look for other affordable tuition especially now that dollar is so high in black market to avoid unforseen circumstances.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jendy36(m): 2:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
I've gotten answers to most....two questions is still confusing to me

1)
With just O level certificate, is it possible to be offered admission to study Mechanical engineering , undergraduate studies, BSc
2) With TOEFL , is it possible to be offered admission if only WAEC  o level can't guarantee such and the estimated school fees for one year

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 13, 2016
Good day My fellow great Nigerians. I am Maxwell Efosa E. I had been offered admission at RCC Institute of Technology, Ontario Canada, I had paid part of my tuition fees last December, I applied for study permit here in Abuja last November but in that same week, the school cancelled my course and offered me another course and a scholarship but the embassy rejected my application, I want to apply for study permit again through an agent that was sent to me from the school but I can't send $735 CAD application fee to the agent because of CBN exchange rate and dwindling Forex policies. Please I want to send the money to local account of any Nigerian living in Canada while you help me pay the money to the agent there in Canada, please help, thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maestro09: 2:26pm On Feb 13, 2016
Is there anybody here who is currently enrolled in a petroleum engineering program
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 13, 2016
Maxdon1986:
Good day My fellow great Nigerians. I am Maxwell Efosa E. I had been offered admission at RCC Institute of Technology, Ontario Canada, I had paid part of my tuition fees last December, I applied for study permit here in Abuja last November but in that same week, the school cancelled my course and offered me another course and a scholarship but the embassy rejected my application, I want to apply for study permit again through an agent that was sent to me from the school but I can't send $735 CAD application fee to the agent because of CBN exchange rate and dwindling Forex policies. Please I want to send the money to local account of any Nigerian living in Canada while you help me pay the money to the agent there in Canada, please help, thanks.
I "may" be able to link you up with someone in Canada that could help.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 13, 2016
maximus89:
please house,i would love to know d outcome after finishing a graduate certificate program in canada, can i apply direct for masters in canada with my bsc statistics (from nigeria) and my graduate certificate infosec management (from canada)...pls i would love to stay in canada, so how can i go abt it. please help a brother. thank u
Your MSc admission would still be based on the minimum criteria i.e your last 2 years of undergraduate. The pg certificate or diploma would not give any advantage.

Futurewiser:

Regina tuition is very high 16,000 dollar per year excluding living expenses and accommodation ooh. lets say u get a job that pays 10 dollar per hour. you are allowed to work only 20 hourse per week meaning 80 hour per month/4 weeks so you earn 800 dollars per month then times a year is 9,600 which cannot even pay the tuition fee of 16,000 per year. Out of the 800 you earn per month, remove like 400 for accommodation you will have 400 left. remove feeding and transport and books and call cards and other expenses that may arise monthly and u have 00.00
I will advise you look for other affordable tuition especially now that dollar is so high in black market to avoid unforseen circumstances.

He won't even make $800 a month. You forgot to remove tax and EI contributions which could take up to 15% of his gross income.

jendy36:

1)
With just O level certificate, is it possible to be offered admission to study Mechanical engineering , undergraduate studies, BSc
2) With TOEFL , is it possible to be offered admission if only WAEC  o level can't guarantee such and the estimated school fees for one year

Yes, it's possible, you need excellent o'level results though.
With most Canadian uni, you would be admitted to 1st year engineering like every other students. It's your cgpa after the first year that would determine what discipline you would be offered.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jendy36(m): 7:37pm On Feb 13, 2016
saxywale:

Yes, it's possible, you need excellent o'level results though.
With most Canadian uni, you would be admitted to 1st year engineering like every other students. It's your cgpa after the first year that would determine what discipline you would be offered.

Thanks so much
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Renewable0216: 3:31pm On Feb 14, 2016
Hi good people, Reading through this thread has cleared up a lot of grated areas for me and also revived the hope of a masters in Canada for me.

But guys, I need your serious help now and I'd be most grateful if anyone can provide me with important information.

OK... here it is:

I graduated from Elect /Elect with a cumulative GPAof a little above 81% though still ended up with a 2:1

I want to go for Masters in any top Canadian Uni. The issue is I NEED A SCHOLARSHIP TO REALIZE THIS DREAM. I am from a humble background and presently, I doubt if I can raise any fund to pay for the tuition.

So my question is.... Who knows any school that can give me scholarship even if I have to be a research assistant? I've tried some schools, mailed couple of professors but no response yet. Can anyone tell me a particular top school that is sure? Or any scholarship apart from being an RA?

My interest is either Power and Renewable Engineering or IT.

I really will like to resume this September. is that possible given that it's middle February already?

if given scholarship, will I still need a sponsor with SOA of over 4million?

You'd be saving a soul if you can help with this information.

Thanks to all the experienced folks in the house. Hoping for a response soon.

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 9:04pm On Feb 14, 2016
ceemac:
please anyone knows who is studying in University of Western Ontario here? I need some clarifications and assistance...

Also from the experienced, How easy is it transferring from Course based Masters to Thesis based Masters in order to reduce cost on arrival?
what are the possible implications?

@IyaEjima @earthgreeners @Fhemmy @ifegy and @allforumites
How easy? Pls PM @Onyeoma3. He's got first hand experience on that.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by STENON(f): 8:42am On Feb 15, 2016
Renewable0216:
Hi good people, Reading through this thread has cleared up a lot of grated areas for me and also revived the hope of a masters in Canada for me.

But guys, I need your serious help now and I'd be most grateful if anyone can provide me with important information.

OK... here it is:

I graduated from Elect /Elect with a cumulative GPAof a little above 81% though still ended up with a 2:1

I want to go for Masters in any top Canadian Uni. The issue is I NEED A SCHOLARSHIP TO REALIZE THIS DREAM. I am from a humble background and presently, I doubt if I can raise any fund to pay for the tuition.

So my question is.... Who knows any school that can give me scholarship even if I have to be a research assistant? I've tried some schools, mailed couple of professors but no response yet. Can anyone tell me a particular top school that is sure? Or any scholarship apart from being an RA?

My interest is either Power and Renewable Engineering or IT.

I really will like to resume this September. is that possible given that it's middle February already?

if given scholarship, will I still need a sponsor with SOA of over 4million?

You'd be saving a soul if you can help with this information.

Thanks to all the experienced folks in the house. Hoping for a response soon.

Thanks.
Congrats on that bro, bt one thing is that ur second class upper cannt make 81 percent upon evaluation by the admission committee in canada, You can try uni of waterloo, uni of toronto, uni of saskatchewan. Bt the deadline for application has passed.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by cremeuc: 10:34am On Feb 15, 2016
good morning, you would have to do a foundation course first
jendy36:

1)
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bayulll01(m): 12:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
Royat1:

Sorry, have been busy lately.
U of R means University of Regina. There application is still open for admission, there admission decision takes like 21working days, excluding Saturday's and sunday's.

I av been trying to get supervisor for 3minths now in that same Saks,am just fed up,pls have u gotten any one
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 15, 2016
Good day good people,
I want to seek advice from you all, please help a confused soul. I just concluded my BS (OAU) with a GPA > 4.4/5. I intend to take GRE this year, and I am trusting God and this wonderful thread. I have few questions to ask you all:
1. Can i apply for Phd directly in Canada? if yes, what are the things with which I should arm myself?
2. I need a full scholarship for I am weak financially, should i concentrate solely on Canada?
3. What other countries would you suggest i try?
I wanna major in Biotechnology.
Thanks as always
Best regards
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Bioboy1213(m): 6:26pm On Feb 15, 2016
bolarinnwa:
Good evening everyone, I need some vital information from the thread. My 16 year old sis is planning to study in Canada for her degree certificate, I would like to ask what cheap universities do you recommend? What are necessary documents needed( she has only her waec results)? What are the cost implications( please bear in mind she won't be on scholarship oo) how easy is it too gain admission into the universities over there since we are just starting the process by July 2016. Please your detailed responses will be appreciated. Note: her likely courses are law and mass communication
pls am in the same shoe with your sister, ppls can I have your contact cause I will like to get much info from you along the line.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 15, 2016
Jumybecks:
Good day good people,
I want to seek advice from you all, please help a confused soul. I just concluded my BS (OAU) with a GPA > 3.7/4. I intend to take GRE this year, and I am trusting God and this wonderful thread. I have few questions to ask you all:
1. Can i apply for Phd directly in the US? if yes, what are the things with which I should arm myself?
2. I need a full scholarship for I am weak financially, should i concentrate solely on USA?
3. What other countries would you suggest i try?
I wanna major in Biotechnology.
Thanks as always
Best regards
Since when did OAU start using "4 point cgpa" scale?
This thread is about Canada not the US.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 15, 2016
bolarinnwa:
Good evening everyone, I need some vital information from the thread. My 16 year old sis is planning to study in Canada for her degree certificate, I would like to ask what cheap universities do you recommend? What are necessary documents needed( she has only her waec results)? What are the cost implications( please bear in mind she won't be on scholarship oo) how easy is it too gain admission into the universities over there since we are just starting the process by July 2016. Please your detailed responses will be appreciated. Note: her likely courses are law and mass communication
There are no cheap Universities or colleges. Your sister will likely pay three times of what domestic students pay. All she needs to apply for a uni or college is her WAEC results. If she has very good grades, she might qualify for some of the scholarship set aside for international students. If she is looking forward to resume in September, then its better she sends in her application now. Admission sometimes get very competitive and you don't want her to be put on a wait list as they usually only reserve a few spot for non-domestic students. You also have to consider visa wait times.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 7:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
IyaEjima:

How easy? Pls PM @Onyeoma3. He's got first hand experience on that.

Thanks IyaEjima.. Am sincerely grateful for your contribution... @Onyeoma3, where are you please?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Renewable0216: 8:01pm On Feb 15, 2016
Thanks Stenon for the response...

I guess I'd just start looking towards January.

But you still didn't answer the funding part...

That's where the issue lies for me most...

Plus, I think I'd just start the applications now so that I won't have to rush anything. But sincerely, I'd love if September can still work out.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
saxywale:

Since when did OAU start using "4 point cgpa" scale?
This thread is about Canada not the US.
Apologies for I erred. I did d conversion. Will correct myself. Thx and pls I'll be waiting for ur advice
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by YTderin(f): 8:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
Good evening everyone, can anyone recommend a good University for MBA program. Please guys. Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
Jumybecks:

Apologies for I erred. I did d conversion. Will correct myself. Thx and pls I'll be waiting for ur advice

www.nairaland.com/2557843/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/235

The link I posted would offer better advice for US schools.
In Canada, you have to go through the MSc route before PhD.
And if you have a 1st. You would meet the requirements for scholarship, but as you know, scholarships are very competitive as you would have people applying from all over the world. So apply to as many school as possible to maximize your chances of securing one. You might need to build relationships with potential supervisors too in those schools you apply to.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:29am On Feb 16, 2016
saxywale:

www.nairaland.com/2557843/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/235

The link I posted would offer better advice for US schools.
In Canada, you have to go through the MSc route before PhD.
And if you have a 1st. You would meet the requirements for scholarship, but as you know, scholarships are very competitive as you would have people applying from all over the world. So apply to as many school as possible to maximize your chances of securing one. You might need to build relationships with potential supervisors too in those schools you apply to.
Thank you bro. I really appreciate it.
God bless
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Feb 16, 2016
saxywale:
There are no cheap Universities or colleges. Your sister will likely pay three times of what domestic students pay. All she needs to apply for a uni or college is her WAEC results. If she has very good grades, she might qualify for some of the scholarship set aside for international students. If she is looking forward to resume in September, then its better she sends in her application now. Admission sometimes get very competitive and you don't want her to be put on a wait list as they usually only reserve a few spot for non-domestic students. You also have to consider visa wait times.
Thank you for the information, please can you kindly state some universities and their fees in naira?. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jendy36(m): 9:26pm On Feb 16, 2016
Any Memorial University of new found land (MUN) Student here? pm me let's chat.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 3:25pm On Feb 17, 2016
bayulll01:

I av been trying to get supervisor for 3minths now in that same Saks,am just fed up,pls have u gotten any one
don't be fed up o, what's your Cgpa... I think you should keep on sending mails, nothing Good comes easy
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by joeadex(m): 10:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
Good evening fellow Nlders, pls I graduated from d department of Architecture wit cgpa of 2.5 here in Nigeria, and i wnt to do my M.Arch (Master of Architecture) in canada, but i hav searched various University offering Architecture in canada, their minimum requirement is Second Class Upper Division or 3.0. Pls hw cn I go abt it? cn I apply for Pre-Master's Program in Canada b4 applying 4 the Master Program itself. Thanks in anticipation for your response.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by badex108: 11:10pm On Feb 17, 2016
HEY am also an applicant in saskatchawan university. any body here that study in dat uni shld advise me on how to live and feed in saskatoon. and wanna meet people dat also qpply for dat uni pls.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by iykedare(m): 1:17am On Feb 18, 2016
Hi guys,is it worth it going for a graduate certificate course ? Can I do masters with it after schooling?

To those that are done with their certificate courses, what is it like looking for job with a graduate certificate course?

Cc futurewiser, iyaejima
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kennykolabo: 7:07am On Feb 18, 2016
Hi everyone,

Please I need assistance.

I was refused sometimes in Nov-2015.
However, I am trying to re-apply this month.

May I know if I can still use the online cic account which I used previously for the new application or am I to start a fresh from answering the questionaire and opening a new cic account.
If yes please can someone put me through on how to go about it.

Thank you and God bless
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2016
iykedare:
Hi guys,is it worth it going for a graduate certificate course ? Can I do masters with it after schooling?

To those that are done with their certificate courses, what is it like looking for job with a graduate certificate course?

Cc futurewiser, iyaejima

It grants u entry into Canada and gives PR in d long run, esp if it's a 2-yr prog. That's worth it to me!! smileyI am not sure if it makes u eligible for masters but I think it should add some credits to a well-packaged app. Work after Sch depends on d grace u carry and ur province. As some provinces may not require jobs related to ur Prog of study / may only require u to work for six months post-grad, to be eligible for PNP.

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.