Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,370 members, 7,812,088 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42225 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Snowwy: 6:50am On Apr 27, 2012
@Enigma,
Whatever you say is your opinion.
I have provided the scriptures above, if you are not ok with it that is your cup of tea.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 6:54am On Apr 27, 2012
It is your problem if you cannot deal with my post e.g. whether your role model tithing "all" he possessed would have tithed slaves if he "possessed" slaves. smiley

In truth, I didn't expect you to engage such questions honestly. wink

One thing we have both done is to provide readers with perspectives to consider. That is at least useful enough.

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 7:34am On Apr 27, 2012
[quote author=Snowwy]@Jem1,
Other scriptures I thought you would add:

Snowwy's Quote 1:
Numbers 18:21 (KJV)
And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation
end Quote.

@Snowwy,

I assume you are drawing my attention to 'all the tenth' as opposed to tithes being farm produce?

So you are saying God changed His mind from His earlier command in Lev 27 where He said in

Lev 27:30‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod —will be holy to the LORD

34 These are the commands the LORD gave Moses at Mount Sinai for the Israelites.

Is it your argument that it was no longer just from crops and animals but this was an EXPANSION TO INCLUDE OTHER THINGS AS HOLY AND TITHE?

At what point would you say the HOLY items now included other things?

Would ‘all the tenth in Israel’ in Num 18:21 include ‘war spoils, wages, service, land etc?’

I believe the two scriptures Num 18:21 and Lev 27:30,32 are complimentary. It was counting on the hearers to have heard of the Sinai command earlier.The Israelites were already told what to separate as tithe Lev 27:30,32 and were being told in Num 18:21 to give those items to Levites.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 7:46am On Apr 27, 2012
Snowwy: @Jem1,
Other scriptures I thought you would add:

Snowwy's Quote 2

2 Chronicles 31:4-5 (KJV)
4Moreover he commanded the people that dwelt in Jerusalem to give the portion of the priests and the Levites, that they might be encouraged in the law of the LORD.5And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly.
end Quote.

@Snowwy,

Is your argument here that ‘ALL THINGS’ in 2 Chron 31:4-5 does not mean the Lev 27:30,32 ( the definition which was given in Sinai?)

I have the same query like I did regarding your mention of Num 18:21

HAD GOD EXPANDED HIS HOLY TITHE AT SOME POINT AND SCRIPTURE FORGOT/NEGLECTED TO INCUDE IT?

It would appear both scriptures are complimentary and not at variance at all. They brought farm produce in 2 Chron31:3-4. Or do you think they brought their first fruits of corn etc and went back to bring other things as tithes?

This I believe is the logical progression:

1. Tithing Command from God in Sinai via Moses that a tenth of farm crops/animals are HOLY and must be TITHED (Lev 27:30,32)
2. Holy and Tithable items should be given to Levites (Num 18:21)
3. Years later, Israelites were being told to keep the Sinai Law and they would have been told what was HOLY and Tithable (2 Chron 31:4-5)
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 8:14am On Apr 27, 2012
Snowwy:

@Enigma,
As you can see, my response was to add to Jem1's scriptures. The last scripture was said by a Pharisee as well since Jem1 said the pharisees only tithed 'farm produce'.

@Snowwy,

One would read your quote above and assume I was being duplicitious. I wasn't the one who included 'mint, dill and cummin' lol.

Here's your quote of Luke 18:12 to counter the 'mint etc'.

Luke 18:12 (KJV)
12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess

Here's my answer:

If you (Snowwy) can ASSUME he had other things apart from farm produce which he must have tithed since Luke 18:12 didn't specifically tell us WHAT HE TITHED;

- Are we wrong to say all he possessed he ‘referred to’ were farm produce/animals? Afterall He was referring to ‘Tithing’ which as a very fastidious keeper of the Law our conclusion will be more accurate that he was obeying the Sinai command given to Moses that the items be according to Lev 27:30,32?

If He went beyond a call of duty and tithed ‘other possessions e.g. slaves, war spoils, wages etc’, WAS THERE A COMMAND given by the Lord that the items (‘slaves, war spoils, wages’) are now the HOLY & THEREFORE TITHABLE items?

Assuming we follow those who say it must be other items apart from farm crops/animals, Would this man's example of tithing the new items be a reason for Pastors to lay down a command that every month, Christians must give them 10% of their wages or else they will not be blessed or would be cursed?

You also said to Enigma and I quote:

"Your anology proves that all other occupations did not get blessed by God in the OT."

Is it your assumption that tithes were they only way to get blessed? Do you assume that those who by reason of their occupation did not have the Holy Tithable items in Lev 27:30,32 were short changed and had an inferior position?

Did God put wage earners in an 'inferior' position know they did not have the Holy and Tithable items?

What was His plan for these 'inferior' groups?

How come there were succesful wage earners who did not tithe as they did not have the HOLY AND TITHABLE items per Lev 27:30,32 given at Sinai by command of the Lord?

On the contrary they were blessed and successful without tithing same as Carpenters like Jesus and early Christians.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Snowwy: 8:35am On Apr 27, 2012
@Jem1,
We still await your response on Luke 18:12. The pharisee gave tithes of all he possessed (these were those who knew the law to the letter).

You claimed the Pharisees only tithed per Leviticus so why the difference?

All the tithe in Israel were for the ministers. Tithe of all, tithe of all things, Abraham gave tithe of all, no issues. However it is understood is left to the reader.

God said a tithe from the land and of herds are holy to Him yes and also said He gave ALL the tithe in ISRAEL to the Levites...I do not see that as just herd and crops else why the seperation in 2 Chron 31.

2 Chron 31 talked about tithe of ALL THINGS as well. It
Whatever you term that to mean is left to you.

The pharisee gave tithe of all he possessed...so may be you can link that as well.

In all, the tithe is not relegated to just farm produce, we have enough examples to read from OT and NT.
I Corinthians 9 is also another proof of this.
All is to be done in faith and with thanks cheerfully.
Other givings are also very important.

Therefore all these back and forth is just suspect for people who claimm to be givers.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 8:45am On Apr 27, 2012
Snowwy: . . . . Abraham gave tithe of all, no issues. However it is understood is left to the reader. . . .

The above was addressed only very recently, yet . . . . . . smiley

From https://www.nairaland.com/911729/can-churches-survive-without-offering#10579392

Enigma: If your example for your claim that some one "tithed all he possessed" is Abram, then the example is false; what it means is that you are adding to scripture.

The Bible does not say he {i.e. Abram or Abraham} gave tithes of "all he possessed"; he gave tithes of "all", but Hebrews 7 clarifies for us that "all" refers to "spoils" of war. So what Abram gave was tithes of 'all' he seized in war not "all he possessed".

On your other point: before we go into issues of other examples of money under Mosaic regime: are you denying i.e. are you arguing that the money offering in the case of the widow and the initial consideration in the case of Judas' 30 shekels were not under the Mosaic regime?

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 9:24am On Apr 27, 2012
We still await your response on Luke 18:12. The pharisee gave tithes of all he possessed (these were those who knew the law to the letter).

@Snowwy, I believe I addressed that in 676

[quote author=Jem1]

@Snowwy,

Here's your quote of Luke 18:12 to counter the 'mint etc'.

Luke 18:12 (KJV)
12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess

Here's my answer:

[b]If you (Snowwy) can ASSUME he had other things apart from farm produce which he must have tithed since Luke 18:12 didn't specifically tell us WHAT HE TITHED;

- Are we wrong to say all he possessed he ‘referred to’ were farm produce/animals? Afterall He was referring to ‘Tithing’ [/b]which as a very fastidious keeper of the Law our conclusion will be more accurate that [b]he was obeying the Sinai command
[/b] given to Moses that the items be according to Lev 27:30,32?

If He went beyond a call of duty and tithed ‘other possessions e.g. slaves, war spoils, wages etc’, WAS THERE A COMMAND given by the Lord [/b]that the items (‘slaves, war spoils, wages’) are now the HOLY & THEREFORE TITHABLE items?

[b]Assuming we follow those who say it must be other items apart from farm crops/animals, Would this man's example of tithing the new items be a reason for Pastors to lay down a command that every month, Christians must give them 10% of their wages or else they will not be blessed or would be cursed?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 9:36am On Apr 27, 2012
Enigma:

The above was addressed only very recently, yet . . . . . . smiley

From https://www.nairaland.com/911729/can-churches-survive-without-offering#10579392

@Snowwy

Enigma's response concerning Abraham's Tithing of 'all he possessed' show us why cross referencing scripture is very important. Any one who did not read the account of the war spoils in the old testament would on seeing 'all he possessed' be unaware the passage was talking about war spoils and begin to assume other possessions.

Are you uncomfortable with cross-referencing?

1. God gave a command in Sinai (Lev 27:30,32,34)

2. He then tells them later on how to apply the Law in Num 18:21 by giving it to Levites;

3. In Chron 31:4-5 Israelites were told told to give Levites tithes (in reference to the tithes belonging to Levites by command of the Law in Num 18:21)

'But' You (Snowwy) insist he must repeat verbatim the quote in Sinai or else you would read meanings into it. Even Jesus in referring to the Pharisees' Tithe mentioned farm produce (mint etc).

If we are to assume that an Israelite went beyond the call of duty concerning the Sinai Command to tithe farm produce, is it now a binding Law on all other Israelites to tithe other items? Is the Israelite who went beyond the call of duty now God?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Snowwy: 9:44am On Apr 27, 2012
Jem1:

@Snowwy, I believe I addressed that in 676

Well you said it yourself...it did not say what was contained in 'all I possess' so if you have a differnt view that is your opinion.

Clearly he said he tithes on all his possession and as such if you decide to read a different meaning to it, why do you have issues with those who see the clear meaning of what 'possessions' mean?

From the other scriptures we see that tithe was on all and as simply as it is stated...whatever views you have does not matter...they are your views shikena.

I am speaking based on the bible, whatever a pastor decides to command, is not the issue here as I am not a pastor so you can go ask your pastor that question.

The frequency of the tithe should not be the issue because as long as you have something to tithe, you tithe, be it every week, every month etc.

So whatever you decide then do it...others tithe based on the understanding of the word both in the OT and NT.
Therefore let all be persuaded....finito.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 9:55am On Apr 27, 2012
Snowwy:

Well you said it yourself...it did not say what was contained in 'all I possess' so if you have a differnt view that is your opinion.

Clearly he said he tithes on all his possession [/b]and as such if you decide to read a different meaning to it, why do you have issues with those who see the clear meaning of what 'possessions' mean?

From the other scriptures we see that tithe was on all and as simply as it is stated...whatever views you have does not matter...they are your views shikena.

I am speaking based on the bible, whatever a pastor decides to command, is not the issue here as I am not a pastor so you can go ask your pastor that question.

The frequency of the tithe should not be the issue because as long as you have something to tithe, you tithe, be it every week, every month etc.

So whatever you decide then do it...others tithe based on the understanding of the word both in the OT and NT.
Therefore let all be persuaded....finito.

Based on your assumption that his tithes included other things apart from farm produce; [b]Is he now God to give that as a commandment?
At least we have the scripture where God defined what was HOLY & TITHABLE, can you show us where this man got this command to tithe the other items from?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Snowwy: 9:56am On Apr 27, 2012
@Jem1,
Just to add as I was done here already.
On Enigma's comment...follow the link and see if I ever said Abraham tithes on all his possessions.
That is why all this cut and paste is dubious.

My next comment after his post was I wasn't referring to Abraham, Luke 18:12 was my reference which has been explained.
I only added that yes Abraham tithed on the spoils (which were his possessions being the victor). The 'all' stated in Hebrews that Abraham gave tithes of was ofcourse all the spoil...which was beyond produce.

There was only one record of Abraham tithing and it was on his way from battle with HIS spoils (he fought and got it and were rightly his) and he gave a tentht to Melchizedek the Priest.
I have asked if there was another record of Abraham seeing a priest and no one answered.
So saying Abraham tithed once is because he had the opportunity once as recorded. We can only use this IF there were other opportunities which he didn't tithe.
That is my conclusion.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 10:09am On Apr 27, 2012
smiley And the Pharisee who tithed "all he possessed" was still not righteous whereas a repentant publican and sinner who apparently did not tithe was justified.

Oh and hanging question: would a person tithing all he possessed have tithed slaves if he possessed slaves? grin

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 10:11am On Apr 27, 2012
Jem1:

Based on your assumption that his tithes included other things apart from farm produce; Is he now God to give that as a commandment? At least we have the scripture where God defined what was HOLY & TITHABLE, can you show us where this man got this command to tithe the other items from?

@snowwy
what is so difficult to understand in the above post Are you saying if a character in the bible went beyond God's command and tithe what God did not ask me we should do the same contrary to the instruction of God.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 10:16am On Apr 27, 2012
Just to add as I was done here already.
On Enigma's comment...follow the link and see if I ever said Abraham tithes on all his possessions.
That is why all this cut and paste is dubious.

My next comment after his post was I wasn't referring to Abraham, Luke 18:12 was my reference which has been explained.
I only added that yes Abraham tithed on the spoils (which were his possessions being the victor). The 'all' stated in Hebrews that Abraham gave tithes of was ofcourse all the spoil...which was beyond produce.

There was only one record of Abraham tithing and it was on his way from battle with HIS spoils (he fought and got it and were rightly his) and he gave a tentht to Melchizedek the Priest.
I have asked if there was another record of Abraham seeing a priest and no one answered.
So saying Abraham tithed once is because he had the opportunity once as recorded. We can only use this IF there were other opportunities which he didn't tithe.
That is my conclusion.

This Abraham's one off example of voluntary tithes is the most fraudulent example used to justify tithes today. For God's sake Abraham's tithe was not commanded by God. He tithed of his own volition. I wonder how any right thinking person can want to use this example to justify mandatory tithing from income today. There is just no correlation between what Abraham did and what these fraudsters preach today.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 10:24am On Apr 27, 2012

All the tithe in Israel were for the ministers.

In all, the tithe is not relegated to just farm produce, we have enough examples to read from OT and NT.
I Corinthians 9 [/b]is also another proof of this.

@ Snowwy,

I just want to address the above 2 comments which were part of a larger post.

1. [b]All the tithe in Israel were for the ministers

Not true. Some tithe went to widows/orphans/strangers AND the tither also ate his tithe by command of the Lord.

2. I Corinthians 9

- Are you saying the above quote meant the Levitical Priesthood had been changed to Paul?
- Was Paul now commanded to take the Levitical Tithe? If on the other hand even Jesus (not being a Levite) was not commanded neither did He take tithes, can we say Paul also lived as Jesus did?
- 1 Cor 9 seems a rather generic verse to build a doctrine of compulsory Tithing seeing as we have Jesus' example of not taking tithes neither are we told early Christian tithed. They gave generously and celebrated the liberty from the curse of the law (even Malachi curses) as they were not commanded to Tithe via Lev 27:30,32.

Ministers of the gospel should not look towards shackling their followers to the Commandment Lev 27:30,32 not directed at Christians or Num 18:21 not directed at Pastors(or even Jesus).
If ministers today receive from our offerings, is it not enough?

Or are you saying a Christian's offerings DO NOT FULFILL 1 Cor 9?

13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 10:33am On Apr 27, 2012
Ah, something interesting to add.

Even before his repentance, the publican who apparently did not tithe was probably far richer (or far more blessed if you like) than the Pharisee who "tithed all he possessed"! smiley

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 10:54am On Apr 27, 2012
Enigma: Ah, something interesting to add.

Even before his repentance, the publican who apparently did not tithe was probably far richer (or far more blessed if you like) than the Pharisee who "tithed all he possessed"! smiley

cool

grin
Enigma: Ah, something interesting to add.

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 1:35pm On Apr 27, 2012
So, can we say in conclusion that the formula for tithing is thus:

God’s command in Mount Sinai and definition of Tithes is in Lev 27:30, 32, 34

30And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.
32And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
34These are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.

2. God’s people paid the tithes in accordance to His direction by giving the HOLY items to LEVITES/WIDOWS/ORPHANS/POOR/TITHER(ate his tithe)

3. If any Israelites had chosen to tithe any other item outside of the command in Lev 27:30,32,34 that it must be farm produce; it would be of the tither’s own volition

If the tither tithes other items it would be without an EXPRESS COMMAND of the Lord that he tithes said items (Since the scriptures never specified any other items)

5. Those who were cursed in Malachi 3:8-12 must have violated God’s EXPRESS COMMAND to tithe the HOLY ITEMS [/b]in Lev 27:30,32,34 (food crops/farm produce in the land of Israel)

[b]6.
(To show the sanctity of God’s command in Lev 27, Tithes in MALACHI were referred to as ‘MEAT’, ‘FRUITS’. Malachi talked of ‘VINES’, ‘FIELDS’.)

7. And vice-versa, since one CANNOT VIOLATE WHAT WAS NOT COMMANDED, those who did not have the HOLY ITEMS because of their trade (whom God already knew existed at the time of Moses) e.g. wage earners, fishermen and those who do not live on the land of Israel are NOT CURSED; neither do they lose a blessing; neither are they inferior because they DID NOT TITHE.

Malachi 3: 8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be[b] meat[/b] in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

8. Any pastor who teaches MALACHI CURSES apply to those who GOD KNEW do not have the ‘MEAT’, ‘FRUITS’, ‘VINES’, ‘FIELDS’ which HE COMMANDED IN SINAI; such a pastor would be at variance with the sacredness, sanctity and historical reality of the tithing commandment.

9. If such a pastor attempts to use examples of tithers who MAY HAVE TITHED of their own volition OTHER ITEMS APART FROM THAT WHICH GOD COMMANDED WAS HOLY and therefore MUST BE TITHED:

a. if such a pastor adds such items and re-baptises them as HOLY (giving the impression that they are the HOLY items in Lev 27:30,32,34 and Malachi 3)

b. if such a pastor now insists Christians tithe the re-baptised items as compulsory OR ELSE MALACHI’S CURSE applies,

c. such a pastor would be considered to be imposing a man-made law

d. such a pastor would be using subterfuge to give Christians the impression that they are obliged to obey a command for which clearly they are not.

e. Such a pastor would need to repent of his twisting of scriptures as a lot of Christians today are living in fear (some would not even pay hospital bills for their dying child because they believe they would be under a curse if they do not pay pastors tithe (Levititcal Tithes)) if that's all they have.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 4:31pm On Apr 30, 2012
. . .great posts.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 4:41pm On Apr 30, 2012
Jem1: So, can we say in conclusion that the formula for tithing is thus:

God’s command in Mount Sinai and definition of Tithes is in Lev 27:30, 32, 34

30And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.
32And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
34These are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.

2. God’s people paid the tithes in accordance to His direction by giving the HOLY items to LEVITES/WIDOWS/ORPHANS/POOR/TITHER(ate his tithe)

3. If any Israelites had chosen to tithe any other item outside of the command in Lev 27:30,32,34 that it must be farm produce; it would be of the tither’s own volition

If the tither tithes other items it would be without an EXPRESS COMMAND of the Lord that he tithes said items (Since the scriptures never specified any other items)

5. Those who were cursed in Malachi 3:8-12 must have violated God’s EXPRESS COMMAND to tithe the HOLY ITEMS [/b]in Lev 27:30,32,34 (food crops/farm produce in the land of Israel)

[b]6.
(To show the sanctity of God’s command in Lev 27, Tithes in MALACHI were referred to as ‘MEAT’, ‘FRUITS’. Malachi talked of ‘VINES’, ‘FIELDS’.)

7. And vice-versa, since one CANNOT VIOLATE WHAT WAS NOT COMMANDED, those who did not have the HOLY ITEMS because of their trade (whom God already knew existed at the time of Moses) e.g. wage earners, fishermen and those who do not live on the land of Israel are NOT CURSED; neither do they lose a blessing; neither are they inferior because they DID NOT TITHE.

Malachi 3: 8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be[b] meat[/b] in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

8. Any pastor who teaches MALACHI CURSES apply to those who GOD KNEW do not have the ‘MEAT’, ‘FRUITS’, ‘VINES’, ‘FIELDS’ which HE COMMANDED IN SINAI; such a pastor would be at variance with the sacredness, sanctity and historical reality of the tithing commandment.

9. If such a pastor attempts to use examples of tithers who MAY HAVE TITHED of their own volition OTHER ITEMS APART FROM THAT WHICH GOD COMMANDED WAS HOLY and therefore MUST BE TITHED:

a. if such a pastor adds such items and re-baptises them as HOLY (giving the impression that they are the HOLY items in Lev 27:30,32,34 and Malachi 3)

b. if such a pastor now insists Christians tithe the re-baptised items as compulsory OR ELSE MALACHI’S CURSE applies,

c. such a pastor would be considered to be imposing a man-made law

d. such a pastor would be using subterfuge to give Christians the impression that they are obliged to obey a command for which clearly they are not.

e. Such a pastor would need to repent of his twisting of scriptures as a lot of Christians today are living in fear (some would not even pay hospital bills for their dying child because they believe they would be under a curse if they do not pay pastors tithe (Levititcal Tithes)) if that's all they have.

Absolutely brilliant summary.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jem1: 5:25pm On May 01, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Absolutely brilliant summary.

Thanks.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 11:57pm On May 01, 2012
I dey gbadun dis bro Jem1 no be small o. E be like say the guy dey too loaded. The bros na major for this tithe subject o.lolz grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Ndipe(m): 1:10am On May 02, 2012
I think paying ten percent tithe is only applicate to the old testament. As we are under Grace, we are no longer obligated to pay 10 percent anymore, you can choose to pay more or less, but let it not be done grudgingly.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 4:06pm On May 14, 2012
The Bible says in the book of 2Cor not to give out of necessity. Most people who pay tithes do it out of necessity,not necessarily cheerfully.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 7:54am On May 15, 2012
FXKing2012: As a born again Christian I follow every word that is in the Bible, and by that I mean every word in the Bible that applies to me. And there is no where is the new testament (which is the part that applies to us becos we are not under the law of Moses but under grace) where it is stated that we should pay titheS, offering, first fruit, etc. We are only enjoined to give (to the poor, for the work of the kingdom, etc), but not necessarily to pastors or churches on a regular basis like it's a necessity.
If you disagree, pls show me anywhere in the new testament where we are directed to pay tithe or offering or first fruit.

If you read Heb 7 very well you will see that we are comanded to pay tithes in the order of Abraham Meaning paying tithes not as was requested by the Law in the books of Lev, Numbers and deut.

We also have to pay offerings as you can read clearly in the NT.

As for first fruits, i only see it appear under the law which the bible says we are not under the law but under grace.

Thatz how i understand it.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 7:56am On May 15, 2012
What you see is very correct, even before i was paying tithes out of necessity and i finally stopped. But when i know search the scriptures and understand better, it is well.

When people do things they dont understand it becomes a burden.

FXKing2012: The Bible says in the book of 2Cor not to give out of necessity. Most people who pay tithes do it out of necessity,not necessarily cheerfully.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 8:06am On May 15, 2012
The first tithe recoded in the bible was not done under the Law (Abraham titheth to Melchizedek king of Salem)

The tithing that was done under the law was the one paid to the levites (Now cancelled).

Melchizedek is said to be the high priest of the most high God. Read Heb 7:1-End

N/B You will even discover that it is recorded that Levi paid tith to Melchizedek when he was still in Abraham's body. Which to me means that we have to pay tithes to Melckizedek (Spiritually)

You friend might have been very right.

FXKing2012: Someone told me that the fact that Jesus never condemned the paying of tithes in the Bible means that tithing is allowed.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 8:20am On May 15, 2012
East:

If you read Heb 7 very well you will see that we are comanded to pay tithes in the order of Abraham Meaning paying tithes not as was requested by the Law in the books of Lev, Numbers and deut.

We also have to pay offerings as you can read clearly in the NT.

As for first fruits, i only see it appear under the law which the bible says we are not under the law but under grace.

Thatz how i understand it.

On the contrary Hebrews 7 makes it clear that the commandment to tithes as been annulled and it is not relevant to christianity. (verse 11&12) verse 18 describes tithing as a weak, useless and unprofitable practise.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 9:49am On May 15, 2012
Heb 7:11-12 talkes about anullement of levitical tithes.

Heb 7:18 cannot be interpreted independently. read thro to 28,
and see a picture of it.

Pastor Kun:

On the contrary Hebrews 7 makes it clear that the commandment to tithes as been annulled and it is not relevant to christianity. (verse 11&12) verse 18 describes tithing as a weak, useless and unprofitable practise.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 10:52am On May 15, 2012
East: Heb 7:11-12 talkes about anullement of levitical tithes.

Heb 7:18 cannot be interpreted independently. read thro to 28,
and see a picture of it.

Since you agree that the levitical tithe as been annulled, where did you see instruction in the bible to collect pastor or church tithes?

On the contrary to understand Hebrews 7;18, you have to start from verse 5 and read th whole passage in context
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by moremi2008(m): 9:57pm On May 27, 2012
Hahaha! The bloody scammers are still angrily defending their 419 practices of fleecing their flock of their hard-earned cash to buy private jets and build fancy mansions! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Pastor Bakare Attacks Patience Jonathan / 5 Things some Christians Wish Jesus Didn't Say / Can Someone Be A Witch Without Being Aware?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.