Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Euro 2012 All-Action Thread - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Euro 2012 All-Action Thread (18710 Views)

Euro 2012: Portugal Vs Spain (2 - 4) On Penalties On 27th June 2012 / Euro 2012: Denmark Vs Portugal (2 - 3) Group B Match: On 13th June 2012 / Euro 2012: Czech Republic Vs Poland (1 - 0) On 16th June 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 6:46am On Feb 11, 2012
I noticed there was no thread to start the buildup to the Euros, the most important competition on this year's calendar (in my view). So i decided to open one.
Poland and Ukraine it will be this summer. Who are the teams to beat? Who do you want to see the most in the colors of their country? And who is already out-played at this stage, and won't make the cut?

Let's hear from ye pundits! grin
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 5:55pm On Feb 11, 2012
I dey come

I would give you updates about the Mannschaft
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 11, 2012
Count England out of the running.
Between Spain and Germany.The Netherlands are outsider's bets to win.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by medjai(m): 7:21pm On Feb 11, 2012
I'm tipping España to win
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 8:51pm On Feb 11, 2012
Let's do it like this, guys.
Too early to talk about who will win. Let's look at the big names, and see how their big names are squaring up.
E,g Spain. Yeah, we know they are the favourites . . . but are they really? Villa is out with a broken leg and will probably suffer from match-rustiness. Torres is . . . well, Torres. It may well be that Valencia's Soldado and Bilbao's Llorente will be the men up front this term. Germany and Holland may well have their measure in this year's competition.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by A40(m): 9:38pm On Feb 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Too early to talk about who will win. Let's look at the big names, and see how their big names are squaring up.
E,g Spain. Yeah, we know they are the favourites . . . but are they really? Villa is out with a broken leg and will probably suffer from match-rustiness. Torres is . . . well, Torres. It may well be that Valencia's Soldado and Bilbao's Llorente will be the men up front this term. Germany and Holland may well have their measure in this year's competition.
That their group is quite tough! Equally as bad as Group D. I think it boils down to that all important first game against Italy anything short of a win and that could spell trouble. With that being said no one has been able to defend the Euros successfully and its hard to see Spain bucking that trend

I like the Mannschaft's chances although thats hugely down to how quickly they sort out that defence. They are a team that can go all the way

Holland's defence is also too weak inasmuch as i like watching them play its tough to see them going all the way

Watchout for France too! They are the darkhorses that might spring a suprise
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 9:49pm On Feb 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Germany- Keeper Neuer, Ter Stergen I think they are covered

Defence this would be Germany's weakest point - Boateng, Mertersacker, Hummels, Lahm Badstuber, Howedes, Lahm

Lahm as Left back. is sealed. Right Back- Boateng and Howedes to fight it out They are natural Central defenders and would "manage" as Right back

Central Defence - I would go with Hummels and Badstuber

Midfield is where Germany has a glut of talents Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Kroos, Gotze, Ozil, Reus, S. Bender, Lars Bender, Podolski, Muller,

Striker- Klose and Gomez are in form this season and should deliver
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 9:57pm On Feb 11, 2012
I am predicting both the Oranje and Manschaaft shove the Portuguese aside, and meet later in the final.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by A40(m): 10:09pm On Feb 11, 2012
dayokanu:

Germany- Keeper Neuer, Ter Stergen I think they are covered

Defence this would be Germany's weakest point - Boateng, Mertersacker, Hummels, Lahm Badstuber, Howedes, Lahm

Lahm as Left back. is sealed. Right Back- Boateng and Howedes to fight it out They are natural Central defenders and would "manage" as Right back

Central Defence - I would go with Hummels and Badstuber

Midfield is where Germany has a glut of talents Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Kroos, Gotze, Ozil, Reus, S. Bender, Lars Bender, Podolski, Muller,

Striker- Klose and Gomez are in form this season and should deliver
Would Gotze be back for the Euros??
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2012
Hmm . . .
Guys, make una talk about the Three Lions na. You guys are almost all EPL club supporters. grin
Is this year finally gonna be their year?

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but . . . I am getting really tired of seeing Rio, Lamps, Stevie G & co in an England shirt. Who/where are Blighty's new boys?
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by A40(m): 10:22pm On Feb 11, 2012
Lol which Lions?? U mean this one??

Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 11:07pm On Feb 11, 2012
Gotze should be back before the games.

Another thing is Schweini has a cruciate ligament injury on his knee last Wednesday and we dont know when he would be back
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 11:08pm On Feb 11, 2012
Remove Rio Lamp, Gerrard and what do you have Cahill, Young, Milner?
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by A40(m): 11:20pm On Feb 11, 2012
dayokanu:

Gotze should be back before the games.

Another thing is Schweini has a cruciate ligament injury on his knee last Wednesday and we dont know when he would be back
Please tell me its not a torn ACL cos if it is i doubt he would be back in time for the Euros
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 11:26pm On Feb 11, 2012
After just 17 minutes of Bayern’s 2-0 DFB Cup quarter-final victory over Stuttgart on Wednesday, Bastian Schweinsteiger hobbled from the field with injury. Following an examination and MRI scan by Bayern chief medical officer Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt on Thursday morning, the midfielder was diagnosed with ankle ligament damage, specifically a torn anterior exterior ligament in the right ankle.

The injured joint was immediately put in plaster. Schweinsteiger will wear the cast for a week, before being fitted with a special protective shoe, allowing him to commence sports rehab training. “We’ll issue an estimate of when Bastian should be able to train and play again at a later date,” Dr. Müller-Wohlfahrt informed fcbayern.de.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by A40(m): 11:37pm On Feb 11, 2012
Whoa!! Thats not a good-look
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by Emperoh(m): 11:44am On Feb 12, 2012
How the Italians have fallen off the scheme of things.

The English 3 cats will fall by the way aside as usual with a press that
will keep lapping up false glories
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by A40(m): 8:44pm On Feb 12, 2012
They are relying on guys like Balotelli and Cassano. Not a good look
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 11:50pm On Feb 12, 2012
A-40:

They are relying on guys like Balotelli and Cassano. Not a good look

Cassano's sick, man.
And Balotelli's . . . well . . . sick of sorts.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by medjai(m): 1:12am On Feb 13, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Of course, Villa would be a huge loss but Spain has still got loads of options up front.

VdB has experimented with a Barca-esque 4-3-3 in recent matches, notably in the match vs Scotland in the qualifiers and the friendly vs England, deploying Silva as a 'false 9' and Villa and Iniesta playing on the left and right. . . If he decides to go with this formation and play a 'false 9', they've got: Silva, Cesc, Mata, Iniesta and if he decides to play 4-2-3-1 and use a traditional CF, they've got, in Villa's absence: Llorente, who's in rich scoring vein, Soldado(will likely get called up), Negredo(been in and out of injury. Not been at his best) or he could call up one of these youngsters: Adrian Lopez, Rodrigo Moreno or Alvaro Vazquez(if he shakes off his injury), who are doing quite well or even recall Raul who has been great for Schalke so far and of course, there's Torres, though I doubt he'll get a look in. So, they're pretty much sorted up front.

One major concern for VDB would be the which combination he should go with. With Ramos having established himself as a top, top CB, will he go with Puyol - Pique or drop one of the Barca duo for Ramos and play Arbeloa at RB?

Again, I don't think Spain needs a double pivot of Busquets and Alonso because they enjoy so much possession against whoever they play against. Only one should be starting, preferably, Busquets. Iniesta should play as AM and Xavi should play CM. Just like Barca.

Since Albiol and Marchena are likely gonna be dropped. VdB should call up Isco(Malaga), Muniain(Bilbao) or Casado(Vallecano). They've been fantastic so far.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by ritchboy(m): 1:46am On Feb 13, 2012
medjai:
Since Albiol and Marchena are likely gonna be dropped. VdB should call up Isco(Malaga), Muniain(Bilbao) or Casado(Vallecano). They've been fantastic so far.

I've been impressed by this boy every time I've seen him play. . .
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dyabman(m): 5:48pm On Feb 15, 2012
Following the dutch side. . . . .

they have been fantastic these past years , just of recent form they lost to sweden and germany consecutively if am not wrong. .

I believe Elia should make his way into the team after several spells at club level, sniedjer should replicate his form at the world cup , huntelaar in fine form so far this season, ,  they should nick it this time around,with RVP in his best form of his life!

GO dutch!
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by Basics007: 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2012
I'm loving how everyone is tipping team germany all the way. That team is loaded with so much skill and efficiency. As for Spain well what can i say? It's gonna be a straight fight betwen them and germany. If del bosque can sit Torres ass on the bench and give Soldado the chance he deserves they will have a better chance of winning it mainly because they are more of an all-round team compared to the germans
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by Basics007: 6:50pm On Feb 17, 2012
I think the OP should do this thread group by group. Maybe like putting up a group each week and we discuss them. Would make it more organised
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 6:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
Eljero Elia has had a stinker of a season at Juve and I dont think should make the Dutch 11

Also many of the Dutch top stars are not in top form

e.g Sneijder, Robben and VdV only exception is KJHuntelaar
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by Basics007: 2:20am On Feb 18, 2012
Sneidjer was even blamed for last nite 3nil home loss to bologna. I think his stock his rapidly falling. That's why i'm not too sure the oranjes are goin to have a fantastic euro campaign. New kids are not coming thru and the old ones are stagnating.e.g De Jong is warnin the bench at City,Affelay has been injured since forever. I heard even Robben doesnt seems to have an automatic shirt in Bayern any longer. But that Emmanuelson kid in Milan looks good.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by Nobody: 8:12am On Feb 18, 2012
I would really love Germany to win the euro
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 3:38pm On Mar 16, 2012
Guys,
Nothing new regarding Euro 2012?
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 3:39pm On Mar 16, 2012
Only that German injured players are gradually coming back though Mertersacker might nt make it in time

Recent bad results has poured cold water on the Harry Redknapp for England fire
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 3:51pm On Mar 16, 2012
^^
Mertensacker is definitely out for the season, and does not look likely to make it to Poland/Ukraine.
Neither will Harry Redknapp, from the look of things. Unless he finds a way for Spurs to win, soon. They seem to be out of gas.
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by dayokanu(m): 8:01pm On May 08, 2012
Goal: Manuel Neuer (Bayern München), Marc-André ter Stegen (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Tim Wiese (Werder Bremen), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96)

Defense: Jerome Boateng, Holger Badstuber, Philipp Lahm (all Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (FC Arsenal), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)

Midfield: Mesut Özil, Sami Khedira (both Real Madrid), Toni Kroos, Thomas Müller, Bastian Schweinsteiger (all Bayern München), Marco Reus (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Mario Götze, Ilkay Gündogan (both Borussia Dortmund), Sven Bender (Borussia Dortmund), Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Andre Schürrle (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke 04), Lukas Podolski (1. FC Köln)

Attack: Cacau (VfB Stuttgart), Mario Gomez (Bayern München), Miroslav Klose (Lazio Rom)
Re: Euro 2012 All-Action Thread by AjanleKoko: 10:30am On May 09, 2012
Looks like Puyol is definitely out for Spain. Villa is also not looking likely.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Vitoria de Guimaraes Vs Arsenal : Europa League (1 - 1) On 6th November 2019 / Aston Villa Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 9th December 2023 / Manchester City Vs Atletico Madrid (1 - 0) On 5th April 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.