Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,173 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (10367) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8673217 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10364) (10365) (10366) (10367) (10368) (10369) (10370) ... (14141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by benji93: 5:22am On Jun 20, 2021
More importantly, he's been consistently playing below average against good teams.
patrickmuf:
Bruno again with another poor performance...

That guy should be reminded his job is to create chances and not to score especially as he has two very defensive minded players behind him...You don't leave the midfield in search of goals...

I have always resisted the urge to point out his flaws especially when playing for Manchester United but not anymore, he has to realize his role on the pitch...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by timay(m): 7:18am On Jun 20, 2021
afrodoc2:

He was suffering from the AWB syndrome. AWB has the same difficulty whenever he faces wingbacks.

The Portuguese manager messed up. He should have changed formation at half time. He made the German LWB look like the new coming of Roberto Carlos.

I won't blame semedo. Both silvas were not tracking back the way Jota was tracking back to help his full backs on the other side. Semedo was always isolated and his wing is always overloaded because of those two midget silvas in the first and second halves.

Wing backs are always difficult to track by defenders if your wingers are not assisting.

Defending Is a team Job and Portugal did a terrible job of it. Even their sitting two midfielders that was suppose to provide defensive solidity were shit, for players who were supposed to be defensive minded
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 7:35am On Jun 20, 2021
afrodoc2:

It’s not about minutes played or fatigue. He is not very tactically aware of what his position needs. He plays big teams the same way he plays small teams, which is why his play often struggles in big games.

With the way Germany was dominating the midfield he should have dropped into the midfield properly to help those 2 statuesque midfields that were struggling to move the ball forward.
Exactly...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BikeMan: 7:35am On Jun 20, 2021
Proper scummy thing to do, bring excuses for a player that penalties have helped his career. Remove him from penalty duties and you will see that the guy is not in anyway better than Grealish. He will be exposed next season, don’t worry.

10 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingAlabi: 8:15am On Jun 20, 2021
This guy must see Bruno in his dreams.

Idontgerrit honestly cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by engrelvis(m): 9:05am On Jun 20, 2021
KingAlabi:
This guy must see Bruno in his dreams.

Idontgerrit honestly cheesy
ln terms of creativity Bruno is good but Jacik Grealish is better

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 9:53am On Jun 20, 2021
patrickmuf:
If you go back a few pages, you'd see where I commented on their opening match, he was always in and around the box while the match was tied but as soon as he stepped back into midfield, he gave a nice pass that unlocked the defense of Hungary...He is too goal conscious, he should do more as an AMF...
afrodoc2:

It’s not about minutes played or fatigue. He is not very tactically aware of what his position needs. He plays big teams the same way he plays small teams, which is why his play often struggles in big games.

With the way Germany was dominating the midfield he should have dropped into the midfield properly to help those 2 statuesque midfields that were struggling to move the ball forward.
well then maybe he's playing to instructions in these games or the managers will have a word. why is that not a possibility?
he gets on goal contribution quite a lot and any manager will prefer he's as close to the opponent box as often and trust his intuition. players can be carried away sometimes but corrections can be made where necessary that's why the manager is there.

I don't know how Portugal sets up, I don't watch the tournament.
At United, his starting position is AMF but he more or less is given a free role in-game. I don't agree he's always playing as a shadow striker at all.

Fernandes had 2849 touches for United (most) the past season and created 94 chances (most) in the league.
he also covered the second most distance for the season, and if we stretch it to account from his arrival, his defensive contribution is only behind AWB, Fred and Maguire. Bruno ran the most of every player on the pitch in 17 top flight fixtures last season, recording a distance peak of 12km in two games (against Man City and West Ham).

those are not tales of a shadow striker and anybody who's watching closely will see the fatigue in his play from towards the end of last season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 10:32am On Jun 20, 2021
ChristineC:
well then maybe he's playing to instructions in these games or the managers will have a word. why is that not a possibility?
he gets on goal contribution quite a lot and any manager will prefer he's as close to the opponent box as often and trust his intuition. players can be carried away sometimes but corrections can be made where necessary that's why the manager is there.

At United, his starting position is AMF but he more or less is given a free role in-game. I don't agree he's always playing as a shadow striker at all.

Fernandes had 2849 touches for United (most) the past season and created 94 chances (most) in the league.
he also covered the second most distance for the season, and if we stretch it to account from his arrival, his defensive contribution is only behind AWB, Fred and Maguire. Bruno ran the most of every player on the pitch in 17 top flight fixtures last season, recording a distance peak of 12km in two games (against Man City and West Ham).

those are not tales of a shadow striker and anybody who's watching closely will see the fatigue in his play from towards the end of last season.
Let's get one thing clear, away from creating chances which for me is one stat that can mask the inefficiency of an AMF, how well does he link the midfield and attack? I watch Portugal games and most Manchester United games (for emphasis, watch Manchester United vs Villarreal and Hungary vs Portugal) and you'd notice the gaping hole between midfield and attack and that's where Bruno is supposed to be...I don't just look at stat, I watch matches and draw conclusion from what I see...

For instance, Portugal beat Hungary by 3 goals to nil but in reality, the match was a close contest. Ronaldo scored 2 goals but prior to the goals, he didn't have a good game. Stats will mask all that...As an attacking midfielder, you need to present yourself to receive the ball from your DM/CM and not remain stationed in the opponents box for most part of the game...That extra body in midfield counts for something...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nathz101(m): 10:34am On Jun 20, 2021
ChristineC:

Fact
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 10:35am On Jun 20, 2021
engrelvis:
ln terms of creativity Bruno is good but Jacik Grealish is better
Grealish is very good but he needs a coach like Pep, he needs to learn to release the quicker...Neymar and Grealish in one team will be frustrating to watch as most times, they rather prefer to draw fouls than pass the ball to a team mate who is better positioned...If he can improved on that aspect of his game, he will be even more dangerous...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 11:15am On Jun 20, 2021
Statistically, I've once said it Bruno is god, but linking Midfield to Attack as an AM, Dude needs to work on it.

Bruno should be more assist-concious than goal-concious. He did leave the AM Position, most time at United for Fred to take charge while still defending.

Bruno is good no doubt. Is he good enough an as AM? Well maybe as a false 9.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hensben(m): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2021
Oasis007:
Statistically, I've once said it Bruno is god, but linking Midfield to Attack as an AM, Dude needs to work on it.

Bruno should be more assist-concious than goal-concious. He did leave the AM Position, most time at United for Fred to take charge while still defending.

Bruno is good no doubt. Is he good enough an as AM? Well maybe as a false 9.
Bruno is just like Havertz, they are not actually number 10. Bruno play as supporting striker just like Rooney then in old traditional 442 formation.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 20, 2021
patrickmuf:
Let's get one thing clear, away from creating chances which for me is one stat that can mask the inefficiency of an AMF, how well does he link the midfield and attack? I watch Portugal games and most Manchester United games (for emphasis, watch Manchester United vs Villarreal and Hungary vs Portugal) and you'd notice the gaping hole between midfield and attack and that's where Bruno is supposed to be...I don't just look at stat, I watch matches and draw conclusion from what I see...

For instance, Portugal beat Hungary by 3 goals to nil but in reality, the match was a close contest. Ronaldo scored 2 goals but prior to the goals, he didn't have a good game. Stats will mask all that...As an attacking midfielder, you need to present yourself to receive the ball from your DM/CM and not remain stationed in the opponents box for most part of the game...That extra body in midfield counts for something...
Maybe you need to rephrase your question better because creating chances by an AM is the same as linking the midfield with the attackers. That's his primary job, opening up defenses, if you're now talking about dictating the tempo of the game or transitioning from defense to midfield it's another thing entirely.

Aside this, I agree that he should get more involved in more midfield play and dictating the tempo in big games and stop playing as an SS. But like ChristineC pointed out, it's likely he's playing according to instructions from coaches because of the goal threat he offers. This makes him hidden in big games that are more tactical and difficult.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 1:17pm On Jun 20, 2021
Lol, I was very sure that this Bruno discussion would surface on this thread. Dude has a free role at United, and we are talking about instruction.

Bruno is not a very good midfielder.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Trevor012(m): 1:19pm On Jun 20, 2021
nitrogen:
Lol, I was very sure that this Bruno discussion would surface on this thread. Dude has a free role at United, and we are talking about instruction.

But when I said it earlier in the season you where among those calling me an hater and a troll cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Trevor012(m): 1:20pm On Jun 20, 2021
I love this grin grin

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 1:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
Trevor012:

But when I said it earlier in the season you where among those calling me an hater and a troll cheesy cheesy

Are you sure you are alright? Where is the evidence? I have always avoided Bruno discussion except when he is compared to Pogba.

Check my posts.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 2:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
patrickmuf:

I'm not even mentioning his goal/assist right now.
if he's had the most touches in the team over the course of a season (all competitions), it simply means he's been around the pitch more than others. it also means his teammates see him as the go-to guy. so what was he linking with the ball? he must have been receiving the ball from somewhere and sending it somewhere, even if it's table soccer.
another thing you can point at is "pass accuracy is not great". the end goal is to make spaces for the team to have a sight on goal as regularly as possible.
before Fernandes, the team created little and whenever Fernandes struggles in a game the team creates almost nothing. Ole had to bin Pereira for something different.
the onus is now on the coaches to find a balance that compliments your best players. if you are expecting that he changes to a ball recycler like Scholes or Carrick, then why did we sign Bruno Fernandes?
we have Donny and Pogba, we should find the balance in there.

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BARAJ92(m): 3:03pm On Jun 20, 2021
nitrogen:

Then who is a good Midfielder.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 3:38pm On Jun 20, 2021
ChristineC:

I'm not even mentioning his goal/assist right now.
if he's had the most touches in the team over the course of a season (all competitions), it simply means he's been around the pitch more than others. it also means his teammates see him as the go-to guy. so what was he linking with the ball? he must have been receiving the ball from somewhere and sending it somewhere, even if it's table soccer.
another thing you can point at is "pass accuracy is not great". the end goal is to make spaces for the team to have a sight on goal as regularly as possible.
before Fernandes, the team created little and whenever Fernandes struggles in a game the team creates almost nothing. Ole had to bin Pereira for something different.
the onus is now on the coaches to find a balance that compliments your best players. if you are expecting that he changes to a ball recycler like Scholes or Carrick, then why did we sign Bruno Fernandes?
we have Donny and Pogba, we should find the balance in there.
Nobody is saying he should become a ball recycler, he just needs to drop into that AM space more when things are not working out well...

At United, we have Pogba but in the absence of Pogba you have Fred and McTominay who are tasked with shielding the back 4 just like you have Pereira and Carvalho at Portugal...In the absence of Pogba at United and for Portugal, Neves/Moutinho, Bruno should be conscious of the added responsibility on his shoulders...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 4:09pm On Jun 20, 2021
handelex:
Maybe you need to rephrase your question better because creating chances by an AM is the same as linking the midfield with the attackers. That's his primary job, opening up defenses, if you're now talking about dictating the tempo of the game or transitioning from defense to midfield it's another thing entirely.

Aside this, [b]I agree that he should get more involved in more midfield play and dictating the tempo in big games and stop playing as an SS. [/b]But like ChristineC pointed out, it's likely he's playing according to instructions from coaches because of the goal threat he offers. This makes him hidden in big games that are more tactical and difficult.
Just what I want to see from him more...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Jodera: 4:19pm On Jun 20, 2021
patrickmuf:
Bruno again with another poor performance...

That guy should be reminded his job is to create chances and not to score especially as he has two very defensive minded players behind him...You don't leave the midfield in search of goals...

I have always resisted the urge to point out his flaws especially when playing for Manchester United but not anymore, he has to realize his role on the pitch...
Lol... If we're being honest, this is exactly what Tr.evor have been saying.
Maybe he might go too overboard or been too overbearing at times, but this exactly what he's been saying

7 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 4:27pm On Jun 20, 2021
BARAJ92:
Then who is a good Midfielder.

There is a reason I included the word ‘very’.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MRTA7: 5:46pm On Jun 20, 2021
Bruno has been quite poor since March tbh.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingAlabi: 5:56pm On Jun 20, 2021
nitrogen:

Na this kin talk dey vex me, define a very good midfielder.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by LostMyZeal(m): 6:01pm On Jun 20, 2021
patrickmuf:

For instance, Portugal beat Hungary by 3 goals to nil but in reality, the match was a close contest. Ronaldo scored 2 goals but prior to the goals, he didn't have a good game. Stats will mask all that...As an attacking midfielder, you need to present yourself to receive the ball from your DM/CM and not remain stationed in the opponents box for most part of the game...That extra body in midfield counts for something

This is soooo apt grin

Awon statmasters and statmistresses

Watch the live game and stop coming here to call figures that person cannot buy ordinary Jenka chewing gum with undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingAlabi: 6:01pm On Jun 20, 2021
Bruno has been poor lately, no doubt, but make una stop dey exaggerate now.

When we play big teams they know Bruno is our major creative source, so what do they do?, They choke the hell out of him, then Bruno either joins the attack or goes to the wings to find space, he hardly drops back which is one place he has faults but wait should he drop back with 4 players behind him in midfield?

Bruno loose form, una don dey wire am.

Make una calm down abeg.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingAlabi: 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2021
I watched that Portugal game against Germany, Bruno obviously seemed fatigued, he wasn't running which was unlike Bruno, he played shiit, and was rightfully substituted, what did moutinho play differently?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Sniper4real(m): 6:08pm On Jun 20, 2021
Una just dey give trebor joy over this Bruno argument.

One tin I know about Bruno is that, if match start. He's usually in the middle to link up with defense and attack. But as match goes on and there's no goal yet. He'll join the attack in search of goals.

And during big games. He's always man marked and he's not the type that can delete players with dribbling like pogba or hug on to ball, trying to go through many players at once.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by LostMyZeal(m): 6:22pm On Jun 20, 2021
Very predictable as usual

So, y'all are looking at only Bruno
When Bruno came newly, he was a messiah. So, what could have gone wrong?

Why don't we talk about that useless Ole who ran Bruno down, huh?
Bruno has someone who can deputize for him, but Ole has refused to rest Bruno and now he's obviously worn out.

Rashford is facing same thing, as well as Maguire.

What then do y'all expect. They'll definitely serve stinkers na

I fear for next season sha. Cos Ole has ran our players down.

The idiot even plays some players through injury and all.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingAlabi: 6:40pm On Jun 20, 2021
Do you see ole in your sleep?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingAlabi: 6:40pm On Jun 20, 2021
Sniper4real:
Una just dey give trebor joy over this Bruno argument.

One tin I know about Bruno is that, if match start. He's usually in the middle to link up with defense and attack. But as match goes on and there's no goal yet. He'll join the attack in search of goals.

And during big games. He's always man marked and he's not the type that can delete players with dribbling like pogba or hug on to ball, trying to go through many players at once.
Fact bro, fact.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10364) (10365) (10366) (10367) (10368) (10369) (10370) ... (14141) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.