Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,386 members, 7,861,060 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:48 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (12161) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8862922 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12158) (12159) (12160) (12161) (12162) (12163) (12164) ... (14215) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 2:48pm On Aug 16, 2022
melodyogonna:
https://twitter.com/UtdArena/status/1559522424454107142?t=8Yqw0SUifRUN4D1F1ZMztA&s=19

Perez is so so good mehn. This is how to run a club. Clear recruitment strategy, just buying whatever the manager want isn't a recruitment strategy, it's a recipe for fragmentation.

I believe it's been to buy quality players that fit an ideology, then get a manager that'll get the best out of them. Na why this Perez guy dey fire managers fast, if you're not up to it you're gone quickly, before you ruin the players.

This! I will only blame the owners for not adopting this system. We need to buy players and recruit managers for our system and not buy players for the managers. But then, they can tell you that the ‘other’ system has worked and is working for some teams. E.g Chelsea.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:53pm On Aug 16, 2022
eph12:
lol Patrick wanted to fight me the other day when I reminded him of his yarns just some weeks ago. Oh well cry
Do we have an incompetent board? Yes...

Will I blane the board for what is happening now? No...I blame EtH for going after unrealistic targets worst off, it doesn't look like he has alternatives that's why we're in the position we are. What I don't understand is what you guys will rather have the board do when a manager is insisting on particular players...Even when you listen to his pressers, he is always on about how we need more players and the players must be the right ones. You want the board to go against him so they'll be blamed again?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 2:53pm On Aug 16, 2022
ChristoBam:

Transfer window opened like 2 months ago, when did we start discussions for Antony?

We needed two midfielders, why did we just start the Rabiot talks last week?

ETH doesn't want Bissaka, and Liard has gone on loan. Two weeks to the end of the window and we have only one RB. When will we start discussions for a RB. They'll wait till the last minute so they'll give that excuse of high price tag.
We didn't start talks with Rabiot until it became obvious to ETH Fred and McTom won't do ... Obviously. That Brighton game exposed the sort of quality they would bring into the new season... If I had to guess I should think ETH planned to get FDJ or nobody, just manage wetin don already dey ground. Until McFred threatened to sack him.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2022
ovoP:
Ronaldo has an attitude problem .. it was when he came, we started having cliques in the dressing room.. Ronaldo is not our only problem, but he's a big part if not the reason for our dressing room issues.

You are just a hater. Go check our dressing room before Ronaldo joined. Under Mourinho, Ole, there were cliques. English vs French, new vs established players issues. Players on the bench were also not happy because they did not get chances to play.

It’s normal to have dressing room issues because the manager is dealing with more than 14 senior players and several fringe and junior players.

It’s crazy to think that a man Utd fan believes that Ronaldo is the source of all our problems.

Damn!

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2022
Ellexy:
Can't you just overlook somethings eh Doc

cry cry cry

After raising shoulder for 2 months that it was all ETH's fault he is now agreeing to what i said then that the board was incompetent. Consider that back in June he refused to listen to anyone saying the board was incompetent but now he has changed his tune.

To add insult to grievous injury he double dared me to show where he put all the blame on ETH. Me that i spent 4 years learning work from post.digger here. grin

6 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:55pm On Aug 16, 2022
melodyogonna:

We didn't start talks with Rabiot until it became obvious to ETH Fred and McTom won't do ... Obviously. That Brighton game exposed the sort of quality they would bring into the new season... If I had to guess I should think ETH planned to get FDJ or nobody, just manage wetin don already dey ground. Until McFred threatened to sack him.
You're spot on...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 2:56pm On Aug 16, 2022
nitrogen:

This! I will only blame the owners for not adopting this system. We need to buy players and recruit managers for our system and not buy players for the managers. But then, they can tell you that the ‘other’ system has worked for other teams. E.g Chelsea.
The thing is that Chelsea knows how to quickly move players, and managers.
In fact I no think that's how Chelsea run.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 2:56pm On Aug 16, 2022
nitrogen:

Who is a ‘competent DOF’? Also, tell me what competent DOFs do including when a manager asks for a specific player or players?
Nitrogen what are we going to ask next? Who is a competent president? who is a competent coach? who is a competent lawyer?

The competent DOF knows the direction the club wants to take over a period of time, and makes sure the manager aligns with that. The manager can't be 100% in charge of transfers. The competent DOF knows that you may not get your A targets, but there are others who can do well also, and get them

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 2:59pm On Aug 16, 2022
@Ovop, you need to stop making blanket statements. Does not make any sense. Check the article below to understand what has been happening in our dressing room years before Ronaldo joined.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rangnick-man-utd-problem-mourinho-25883138.amp
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristoBam: 3:00pm On Aug 16, 2022
melodyogonna:
https://twitter.com/UtdArena/status/1559522424454107142?t=8Yqw0SUifRUN4D1F1ZMztA&s=19

Perez is so so good mehn. This is how to run a club. Clear recruitment strategy, just buying whatever the manager want isn't a recruitment strategy, it's a recipe for fragmentation.

I believe it's been to buy quality players that fit an ideology, then get a manager that'll get the best out of them. Na why this Perez guy dey fire managers fast, if you're not up to it you're gone quickly, before you ruin the players.

When a player doesn't work they're also quickly moved on. I remember Real Madrid got a €70m striker few years ago who didn't work out, he got loaned out, I believe he would have been sold if that club could afford him.
Here we hold unto players and managers too long.
That's how it's done. The next manager appointment will then have to fit into that philosophy. We act as if we're so sure the manager we pick will be the next SAF or Pep. How can you sign a 5'8 CB because the manager asks you too.

If things go wrong and ETH gets sacked, Wtf is the next manager supposed to do with a 5'8 CB? These are the types of signings that fit only one Manager's philosophy. No long term thinking at all. And this is the problem.

This is why we have Bissaka and Maguire that fit a low block system but the next manager can't utilize them well cuz he wants to play an high line.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 3:00pm On Aug 16, 2022
eph12:

Nitrogen what are we going to ask next? Who is a competent president? who is a competent coach? who is a competent lawyer?

The competent DOF knows the direction the club wants to take over a period of time, and makes sure the manager aligns with that. The manager can't be 100% in charge of transfers. The competent DOF knows that you may not get your A targets, but there are others who can do well also, and get them

So, who determines A targets and B targets? Also tell me what will happen if the manager says A and the DOF says B?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 3:02pm On Aug 16, 2022
When people say the board is incompetent it does not mean that dey can't knack well. We said incompetent not impotent.

If you take 1 month to negotiate a deal that another person will negotiate in 1 week you are incompetent.

If you negotiate a deal paying a player 250k when he is not worth more than 150k you are incompetent.

If you can't convince players to join your club expeditiously and at a fair price you are incompetent.

If your negotiations and deals always take forever while other club's complete deals in good time then it is not about the players/agents you are dealing with but about you..........and you are incompetent.

If you can't do you job well and on time it might be better for you to resign. No be only manager fit resign.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 3:04pm On Aug 16, 2022
ChristoBam:

That's how it's done. The next manager appointment will then have to fit into that philosophy. We act as if we're so sure the manager we pick will be the next SAF or Pep. How can you sign a 5'8 CB because the manager asks you too.

If things go wrong and ETH gets sacked, Wtf is the next manager supposed to do with a 5'8 CB? These are the types of signings that fit only one Manager's philosophy. No long term thinking at all. And this is the problem.

This is why we have Bissaka and Maguire that fit a low block system but the next manager can't utilize them well cuz he wants to play an high line.

True, but Madrid also recruited managers and bought players that did not fit into their philosophy.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 3:04pm On Aug 16, 2022
patrickmuf:
Do we have an incompetent board? Yes...

Will I blane the board for what is happening now? No...I blame EtH for going after unrealistic targets worst off, it doesn't look like he has alternatives that's why we're in the position we are. What I don't understand is what you guys will rather have the board do when a manager is insisting on particular players...Even when you listen to his pressers, he is always on about how we need more players and the players must be the right ones. You want the board to go against him so they'll be blamed again?
Its common knowledge that you may not get your A targets. A competent board that has been in the game for years should know this. In fact, the incompetent ones know this too.

A serious board should have this discussion with the manager! This just shows he has never been in charge of transfers before. He can't start now. Instead they have the discussion and identify everyone that can fit in the style he wants to play. Its a red flag when the coach says only this player can play his style.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2022
afrodoc2:
When people say the board is incompetent it does not mean that dey can't knack well. We said incompetent not impotent.

If you take 1 month to negotiate a deal that another person will negotiate in 1 week you are incompetent.

If you negotiate a deal paying a player 250k when he is not worth more than 150k you are incompetent.

If you can't convince players to join your club expeditiously and at a fair price you are incompetent.

If your negotiations and deals always take forever while other club's complete deals in good time then it is not about the players/agents you are dealing with but about you..........and you are incompetent.

If you can't do you job well and on time it might be better for you to resign. No be only manager fit resign.

Is it the board that does the negotiations? Also, why do you want the board members to resign when they own the club?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Searchingvictor: 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2022
afrodoc2:

grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristoBam: 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2022
patrickmuf:
Is there any rumor that suggested we had other options in midfield?
There were rumors, from Neves to Fabian Ruiz to Tilemans and co. No real links.

I'll repeat drawing up targets shouldn't be Ten Hag's job. He didn't do this at Ajax. Why should he be doing this in a far bigger job with a far wider market?

Did Murtough not know for months that Ten Hag needs a press resistant ball carrier in the midfield?

The fact that we have only one RB says a lot about how we operate.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2022
nitrogen:

So, who determines A targets and B targets? Also tell me what will happen if the manager says A and the DOF says B?
They go for A and if A is not available, they go for B. No wasting of time. A is not always going to be available.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 3:07pm On Aug 16, 2022
eph12:

Its common knowledge that you may not get your A targets. A competent board that has been in the game for years should know this. In fact, the incompetent ones know this too.

A serious board should have this discussion with the manager! This just shows he has never been in charge of transfers before. He can't start now. Instead they have the discussion and identify everyone that can fit in the style he wants to play. Its a red flag when the coach says only this player can play his style.
The board are not operators or administrators. Just like saying that Chelsea’s board should be scouting and identifying B targets or even discussing every week with the manager.

You guys should try to understand that there are different levels of decision making.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 3:07pm On Aug 16, 2022
LostMyZeal:

Which one is OPTA again

We watched the eyesore of a game with our eyes nau

That stupid GK called DE GEA was at fault for passing the ball to a player who's already being pressed.

Eriksen was pressed from his blindside and got dispossessed.

It's common knowledge in football not to pass the ball to a pressed player nau.

Wetin OPTA con dey do for this simple talk undecided

The pressed player received the ball and lost the ball. Eriksen could have kicked the ball hard out of touch or play a simple back pass to De Gea - but he tried to play it wide and the pressing player anticipated Eriksen’s move and got the ball.

That was Eriksen’s fault. He’s not strong enough.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 3:08pm On Aug 16, 2022
What I don't understand about this our board sha, abi our scouts. Do we start scouting for players once transfer window already open or what?

Because as a serious club we suppose don already get targets in place before transfer windows open, maybe even agree deals in principle. This running around looking for players when other clubs are busy completing signings for targets identified months prior dey weak me.

This midfield stuff, we suppose pencil down 5 or 6 players that can really play that position at a high level and get like two of them no matter the cost.

Liverpool and Manchester City just spent £100m each for strikers, Man City also spent £100m for a winger last season, it's obvious now that's it's because they wanted to move on sterling the next summer, Liverpool spent around £80m for Vigil, and £75m for... What's their keepers name again.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2022
afrodoc2:
[b]

Who said this? cheesy

[b]

Today is not Monday but if you do too much i will do it like Monday for you. grin

grin

E be like Weedtakker that time wey dey ask of evidence of Pogba saying he wants to leave grin

I don’t know why it’s hard for some people to stay one place
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristoBam: 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2022
nitrogen:

True, but Madrid also recruited managers and bought players that did not fit into their philosophy.
There will obviously be some like that. City went after Ronaldo, Lukaku and even Pogba. But the bulk of them should be ones that fit what you want over a period.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 3:11pm On Aug 16, 2022
melodyogonna:
What I don't understand about this our board sha, abi our scouts. Do we start scouting for players once transfer window already open or what?

Because as a serious club we suppose don already get targets in place before transfer windows open, maybe even agree deals in principle. This running around looking for players when other clubs are busy completing signings for targets identified months prior dey weak me.

This midfield stuff, we suppose pencil down 5 or 6 players that can really play that position at a high level and get like two of them no matter the cost.

Liverpool and Manchester City just spent £100m each for strikers, Man City also spent £100m for a winger last season, it's obvious now that's it's because they wanted to move on sterling the next summer, Liverpool spent around £80m for Vigil, and £75m for... What's their keepers name again.

There are targets. Unfortunately, everything lies on the manager because Man Utd is used to the Fergie era when we bought players based on the manager’s preference. We need to change the system and structure. But then, they can argue that the existing system works well for other teams.

Meanwhile, I am hoping that we have all moved on from the ‘board don’t spend’ notion.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 3:15pm On Aug 16, 2022
nitrogen:

There are targets. Unfortunately, everything lies on the manager because Man Utd is used to the Fergie era when we bought players based on the manager’s preference. We need to change the system and structure. But then, they can argue that the existing system works well for other teams.

Meanwhile, I am hoping that we have all moved on from the ‘board don’t spend’ notion.
This board is one of the highest spenders in the world.
Nah the players we dey get be the problem.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristoBam: 3:15pm On Aug 16, 2022
melodyogonna:

I don't believe this. You know why? Cuz we only have one injury free striker(that wants out). We have only one Right winger(that'll rather play from the left), we have only one Right back, we don't have a back up goal keeper. You believe ETH is comfortable with all of these?

There's no way ETH doesn't know they're not good enough. There's no way he doesn't know he need two more signings there. But when everything's placed on him, what's he going to do? Go after the good one he knows really well.

For all we know ETH might even have like 5 midfielders on a list given to them. But most of them became unrealistic 2 weeks to the end of the window. What do you think wolves will ask for Neves now?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 3:16pm On Aug 16, 2022
nitrogen:

The difference is Madrid almost always buys quality players and they quickly get rid of poor quality.

That way, whatever method of playing a new manager wants, the Madrid players can easily adapt.

Man Utd buy poor quality players who are only suited to one style of playing. If a new manager wants a different approach, United players cannot adapt to the new methods.

AWB, Maguire, De Gea, Shaw, McFred, etc are all useless to the way Ten Hag wants to play. You can’t play a high line with these players and De Gea is never a sweeper keeper.

I have no doubt Mourinho would have made legends out of AWB and Maguire cos he favors low blocks over the high line.

In low blocks, Maguire can be very good but with the modern football methods that Ole/ETH are preaching, Maguire is totally useless to it. He’s got no recovering pace.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 3:18pm On Aug 16, 2022
melodyogonna:

This board is one of the highest spenders in the world.
Nah the players we dey get be the problem.

Tbf, we mostly signed very good players. Unfortunately, they became shyte after playing for us for a few weeks.

It’s just unbelievable that we are not getting things right!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 3:20pm On Aug 16, 2022
ChristoBam:

I don't believe this. You know why? Cuz we only have one injury free striker(that wants out). We have only one Right winger(that'll rather play from the left), we have only one Right back, we don't have a back up goal keeper. You believe ETH is comfortable with all of these?

There's no way ETH doesn't know they're not good enough. There's no way he doesn't know he need two more signings there. But when everything's placed on him, what's he going to do? Go after the good one he knows really well.

For all we know ETH might even have like 5 midfielders on a list given to them. But most of them became unrealistic 2 weeks to the end of the window. What do you think wolves will ask for Neves now?
ETH himself have repeatedly said he doesn't just want to sign a player, he wants to sign the "right" player.

On r/soccer yesterday an Ajax fan made a comment, he said Man United are going to realise ETH is a very stubborn man.

I think he's good but stubborn to a fault, which is good for him if he intends to achieve anything useful with these players. Bad for impatient fans though.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 3:20pm On Aug 16, 2022
Illimitable:

The difference is Madrid almost always buys quality players and they quickly get rid of poor quality.

That way, whatever method of playing a new manager wants, the Madrid players can easily adapt.

Man Utd buy poor quality players who are only suited to one style of playing. If a new manager wants a different approach, United players cannot adapt to the new methods.

AWB, Maguire, De Gea, Shaw, McFred, etc are all useless to the way Ten Hag wants to play. You can’t play a high line with these players and De Gea is never a sweeper keeper.

I have no doubt Mourinho would have made legends out of AWB and Maguire cos he favors low blocks over the high line.

In low blocks, Maguire can be very good but with the modern football methods that Ole/ETH are preaching, Maguire is totally useless to it. He’s got no recovering pace.

You are right. We don’t move players on ASAP. I guess we want to keep them around until we extract all the good in them.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 3:21pm On Aug 16, 2022
nitrogen:

Tbf, we mostly signed very good players. Unfortunately, they became shyte after playing for us for a few weeks.

It’s just unbelievable that we are not getting things right!
Which is why I asked few days ago, what is our recruitment strategy.
The players we sign, what profile do they fit into?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 3:23pm On Aug 16, 2022
Leyqute:

grin

E be like Weedtakker that time wey dey ask of evidence of Pogba saying he wants to leave grin

I don’t know why it’s hard for some people to stay one place

I am still waiting for pato to explain that his immaculate denial. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12158) (12159) (12160) (12161) (12162) (12163) (12164) ... (14215) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.