Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,027 members, 7,838,577 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (97) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8800702 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (14184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Hugoboi(m): 6:15pm On Aug 30, 2012
Cristalz: I'm sure I can see my reflection in Messi's shoes.
I hope he wins.

Maybe UEFa decided to try a new face this time. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:24pm On Aug 30, 2012
montelik: damn, after last year I was hoping for a tougher group so complacency wouldn't be a concern.

if we get anything less than 15 points in this group, fergie should be sacked!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 6:28pm On Aug 30, 2012
Galatasaray away should be the only place we are allowed to drop points
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:54pm On Aug 30, 2012
chamotex: Galatasaray away should be the only place we are allowed to drop points

welcome to hell!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 6:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hugoboi:

Maybe UEFa decided to try a new face this time. grin

Good point. grin
He deserves it though, for club and country.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by A40(m): 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
Una don start over-confidence again! This was what y'all said last season and we all saw what happened. Don't write off Braga tho! I saw their game against Udinese! They are a technically sound team and CSI may have to come mop ur team's remains if you take them for granted

Lemme weigh in on the Nani debate! Do I think Nani is worth 120k?? Maybe not but he is a big part in what Utd have accomplished over the last few seasons! Let's face it no one in professional sports today is earning what they are really worth anyway. Selling Nani would be a colossal uber-mistake! I look at the Utd team and asides RVP I don't see any other player who is capable of anything magical on the roster! I would take a motivated Nani over 95% of the wingers in England

@Starboard
Mr Clichy and Mr Ashley Cole will not agree on your assessment of Nani oh! As far as the last 3 seasons go you would struggle to bring out a winger that has performed better than Nani! We wey dey play Fantasy League we know him worth. And don't forget 10-11 season he was by far Utd's best player that year. 10 goals and 14 assists in the league. I say y'all increase his guap to at least 110 and watch him perform. Nani on his day is almost unplayable! I still remember the blitzkrieg against Bayern at Ojoro Trafford vividly
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
so Berba failed follow the transportation arranged for him by Fiorentina, to now sign for Fulham. Sounds familiar. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 11:38pm On Aug 30, 2012
As annoying as some players can be you cant just do without them

Ashley young might do the job vs the Fulham and Wigan of these world but do you expect him to deliver at the topmost stage? thats what we need these marquee players for.

Nani is a player even opponents would respect.

Like its said Robben is one of the most annoying players in Europe but you cant do with him you cant do without him.

His coming to Bayern probably turned us from a quarter final team to a finals team

Sell Nani and see wetin go happen
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 11:39pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hugoboi:

Maybe...but every player has his shitty day and his whole career shouldn't be judged by that. Against Everton, Rooney was atrocious. Does that make him a crap player?
I don't see why Nani is being written off while the likes of Young are still allowed to wear a United jersey. Which player in this modern day pushes the ball around with his eyes fixated to the ground. Infact, Young's transfer should be investigated. I won't be surprised if SAF made a 'killing' by the side from that transaction.

I don talk am tay tay say Ashley Young isnt any better than manga Mohammed
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 12:46am On Aug 31, 2012
What do some think about a loan move for Essien of Chelsea. No doubt he has seen much better days, but he could provide some steel and verve if needed. No doubt he isn't anywhere near as good, but he would easily be an upgrade over Giggs and Scholes who are liabilities when we aren't totally bossing the game.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 12:59am On Aug 31, 2012
Abeg If Una no want Nani make una sell am una to Milan.....Galliani, Berlu and co would welcome him with open arms to the San siro.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 2:00am On Aug 31, 2012
montelik: What do some think about a loan move for Essien of Chelsea. No doubt he has seen much better days, but he could provide some steel and verve if needed. No doubt he isn't anywhere near as good, but he would easily be an upgrade over Giggs and Scholes who are liabilities when we aren't totally bossing the game.

Essien's real age is probably above Scholes and Giggs' (no difference)
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 5:12am On Aug 31, 2012
@dayokanu,
Nani is over-rated.Much like Robben but on a lesser scale.Robben does stuff well till he gets to finals, at least.
Nani was at the Euros, nothing spectacular except involving himself in a controversy in the penalty-shoot out loss.He didn't make the team of the tournament.So why is everyone on his d/ick?
Aside from a few times when he's really turned it on, Nani hasn't done it consistently enough over the period he's been at United for me to believe he's actually the player we think he is.That has been my point.
You talk about Nani being feared.Really? I don't see it.
@A-40,
That same 2010/11 when we played Chelsea in the champions League,who did Fergie bench?Nani was dropped in favour of a returning Valencia for both legs, and United won home and away. I'm guessing that should say something about his value.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:43am On Aug 31, 2012
I'd take a half-fit Theo Walcott over a motivated Nani!

angry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:47am On Aug 31, 2012
As per the UCL. . .bad as e bad reash, at least we're guaranteed 6-points from Cluj!

grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 9:18am On Aug 31, 2012
Joey Barton going to France. . .uh la la, I don't think Ligue-un have a clue whats coming, no they don't grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 9:27am On Aug 31, 2012
StarBoard: @dayokanu,
That same 2010/11 when we played Chelsea in the champions League,who did Fergie bench?Nani was dropped in favour of a returning Valencia for both legs, and United won home and away. I'm guessing that should say something about his value.

So Fergie dropping Rooney for RVP last week says something about the value of Rooney?

RVP was rubbish at the Euros, did that stop Utd paying 250k for him?

Your weak logic doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The fact is that coaches pick players with the best form/attributes at a particular time, and it doesn't mean the others were rubbish. A player's performance over the course of the season is the best reflection - 10 goals and 14 assists is a high level of performance in any season in the EPL no matter how you cut it.

Nani is a maverick - by nature that makes him inconsistent, just like Robben. Your issue is more to do with the type of player Nani is than his performances. If you're looking for Valencia-type performances you're wasting your time because they are different types of players.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 9:31am On Aug 31, 2012
chamotex:

Essien's real age is probably above Scholes and Giggs' (no difference)

LOL grin
Other than Essien's age, Fergie still doesn't believe his team needs a traditional DM.

Read that it's Arsene begging RDM for the guy. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 9:47am On Aug 31, 2012
^^

I jump am pass. . . .that would be worse than signing Silvestre from United. angry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:47am On Aug 31, 2012
debosky:
So Fergie dropping Rooney for RVP last week says something about the value of Rooney?

i wonder.....

ronaldo was rubbish in euro 2008, did it stop Madrid paying £80 m?
starboard is a fantasist!

Your weak logic doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The fact is that coaches pick players with the best form/attributes at a particular time, and it doesn't mean the others were rubbish. A player's performance over the course of the season is the best reflection - 10 goals and 14 assists is a high level of performance in any season in the EPL no matter how you cut it.

more than 24 hrs later and starboard has not mentioned a better wined than nani in the premier league and he wants us to sell him and replace him with who? jarvis? lennon? adam johnson? larsson? mcclean? gervinho?

Nani is a maverick - by nature that makes him inconsistent, just like Robben. Your issue is more to do with the type of player Nani is than his performances. If you're looking for Valencia-type performances you're wasting your time because they are different types of players.

nailed!
the type of player nani is makes him inconsistent but it also makes him a magician! this is why he's more likely to conjure something out of nothing cos he's not afraid to take risks!
valencia on the other hand loves to play it safe and he's far predictable! a pacy fullback renders valencia impotent cos he lacks the trickery nani has got!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 10:12am On Aug 31, 2012
debosky: ^^

I jump am pass. . . .that would be worse than signing Silvestre from United. angry

Hush, Debo. "In Arsene we you trust". grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:27am On Aug 31, 2012
Berbatov -> Juve, Florentina, QPR, Fulham, now Spurs. . .the speculations are quite rife now; where is this dude really going to!!?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:30am On Aug 31, 2012
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has raised the possibility of record signing Dimitar Berbatov returning to Tottenham.

Berbatov has no future at Old Trafford and, after a day of speculation, it was thought the Bulgarian had settled on a move to Fulham. Cottagers boss Martin Jol spoke optimistically about the transfer on Thursday but Ferguson insists no deal has been completed.

"I do not know what has happened," the Scot said. "He has not gone yet. I do not know anything about it. There's not been any contact from him. We thought he was in Italy but it turned out he isn't. He could be anywhere. I really mean that. I wouldn't be surprised if he was at Tottenham. There are rumours going around. I do not think it is settled at Fulham."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/fergie-hints-spurs-return-berba-084959899.html
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 31, 2012
coogar:
other clubs know united won't sell him so they didn't even try - spaletti of zenit tabled £25m bid but fergie rejected it! why would united sell nani? if nani was a player of another club, fergie would have bought him. that's our dna - we stock out and out wingers!
Story.
Provide a genuine link to prove Spaletti put in a 25 mill bid.Stop peddling speculative rumours.
If Spaletti did, I'm pretty sure Nani would have wanted a move given that he would more than likely earn that same wage he's asking for.
coogar:
guardiola wanted nani - it's all over the net, it's not a question of if it were true.....
nani exploded when he won our player of the season - got the highest number of assists in the league(20 in the premier league alone) - explosion is not only about scoring goals alone!
I've checked through the net, I can't substantiate your claims on Guardiola.
Guardiola wanted Fabregas and courted him continuously for at least two years. I didn't see that with Nani.
Please stick to the facts and not rumours
Please put a link.I've searched the net and can't find anything half as decent as a hint that your claim is true.
And as per explosion, why couldn't Nani do similar stuff last season?
If he were paying attention to his gaffer at United, would we be having this discussion?
coogar:

nani would play to the instructions of his gaffer - you saw him in the euros, one of the best players @ the tourney! did he look out of place amongst the wingers in that tourney? he even did well than ronaldo minus goal scoring - he was always the one making the final pass.....13 key passes!

Was Nani in the team of the tournament or not?
If not, then all you've said in the above don't mean nuttin to me, i'm sorry.

coogar:

nani put in a much better performance against the same rival in his debut season here.... man utd 4-0 arsenal(2008)! nani was so good arsene wenger accused him of showboating! giggs was frustrating, more frustrating than nani but ryan played in a much better team with keane, scholes, stam, yorke, etc. when united had a stronger team in 07/08, nani was mercurial!

Wait, you mean to tell me you'd compared a game in an FA Cup second-round tie at home with a semi-final replay at a neutral ground?
You mean to tell me that ball-juggling can be compared to running at 5 Arsenal players in extra time and scoring the winner in the process after United were down to 10 men?
You mean to tell me the Arsenal team of 2007/8 was anything to write home about and compare it with the Arsenal side of 1999 that we pipped to the title by just one point,as good as our team then was?
Honestly I have no replies for you on this one.Like I said, let Nani decide an FA Cup semi-final when we are down to 10 men in extra time. Then I will compare him to Giggs,and endorse whatever raise he's asking for.
coogar:

yeah, let's compare giggs to nani - nani has spent 21 seasons at old trafford so the comparison is justified. this argument is tedious! giggs gets this accolades because of his longevity not necessarily because of his performance. giggs would have been sold since 2007 if mourinho was our gaffer! which ryan giggs are we talking about here?
Circumstancial rebuttal at best.
And Giggs has put in great performances.Otherwise his longevity would be a non-factor.Or do you have any other reasons why he has lasted this long at United?
coogar:
he's as good on the left as he can be on the right! when he mauled arsenal and liverpool in 07/08, he did so from the left channel! we are lucky we have a player like him! he has bailed us out from sticky situations more than any winger has done for his club since we have had him here......
And how many times thereafter, 5 seasons after, has he repeated those feats?
Herein lies the crux of my argument, but you refuse to get it.
And name those sticky situations he bailed us out from;i seem to have a brain lag. . .or is it just that he hasn't done exactly that?. . .
coogar:
i have told you - dembele was non-existent in the first half when it was a straight match-up between ando-clev and dembele-diarra. the united boys ran rings around him. martin jol said the same, the stats said the same. then vidic scored an own goal which completely changed the tide of the game. smart martin jol then pushed dembele further up the pitch to trouble our shaky defense partnership - dembele mauled our defence, not the midfield!
Ah but the stats dont tell us Dembele was ineffective (according to you) in the first half.
The stats tell us Dembele had 96% pass completion,for instance. How does that conote what you claim?
Face it,stats don't tell us everything about a game.
Again,I might be wrong,but how does a midfielder maul a defence without getting past a midfield?Please explain, I might be short of memory chips in my head.
coogar:
nani has got both in his ammo - he has got flair and he's pretty efficient - his stats(productivity) shat on valencia's. nani can shoot better, [b]dribble better [/b]and make something out of the ordinary! apart from rooney, nani is the only other player that can wave the magic wand out of nowhere and deliver! it's not debatable and he's scored more goals against tough defences than any other winter in the league! abeg, tony valencia is 2 light years below nani! he's afraid to try and too conservative, in this business - fortune favours the brave!
So you finally agree that Rooney is more important than Nani.
Toni Valencia was 2 light years behind Nani yet he managed to be voted the clubs player of the season for last season.
I remain to be convinced.
Nani's shooting is atrociouos.Let's not even debate that.
Nani for all his bravery (cries and moans like a biyatch) hasn't gotten anywhere near the stratospheric levels you claim his "potential"should have carried him. Instead he's haggling for an improved contract using his agent as his ammo instead of his performances.

coogar:

vidic should shut up and sort out his fitness problems first before pointing fingers. he scored an own goal, got dominated by fellaini and was given a horrid time by dembele and ruiz....what chutzpah has he got to point fingers? wow or victory? i want both and nani gives us both!
Apparently you haven't had to recover from a serious knee injury when you're 30 years old and your body is battle-weary, so I don't expect you to make any sense of what your captain is saying.
I'm also glad you said you want him to give us both because he 'hasn't given us wins by himself.
coogar:

so which of these big names has valencia murdered? nani sold it to kompany and kompany bought it. it was this same nani that won us the shield after we went 2 goals down. he got the equaliser and the winner(by raping kompany)!

Ask Ashley Cole who Valencia is.OT vs Chelsea back-end of 2010/11.
vs Chelsea at OT Champions league ame season.
Nani won us a meaningless Charity Shield but when the title was at the line at the Etihad (when it mattered more) he hid under everybody else.Where was he then?
coogar:
nani has mauled all those fullbacks way way before - do i need to jog your memory? you forgot nani's belter against chelsea last season? his numerous decapitation of baines in previous duels? why are you trying to rewrite history?
He met Baines on the 20th of August (just 11 days ago).What happened?
coogar:

rooney was a better player than ronaldo at 18/19, how did ronaldo leave rooney in the pits? why should we compare nani to ronaldo? i don't see city fans compare tevez/aguero to messi or do you?

Blasphemous at best.
Ronaldo was tearing up the Dutch Eredivisie at that age.So try another line.
Rooney was nowhere near the Great One at that age or at any phase of his career,abeg.
Are Tevez/Aguero's styles similar to Messi to warrant comparisons?

coogar:
nani has about 18 months left on his contract - this is the time to renegotiate his contract, it has nothing to do with walcott or balotelli. nani deserves a raise especially when ashley young is on £120k/week!! if we wait till he shows something on the pitch, his contract would run down to 6 months - fergie should pay up and stop brainfarting!
If Fergie was daft enough to give Ashley Young that contract(which I still feel is fraudulent at best), then Nani should take up the challenge to prove the old man wrong,instead of bitching like a wimp about his contract.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 31, 2012
debosky:

Didn't expect that from you;but in a way it isn't surprising.
You'd compare the second game of a 38-game season vs a mid-table side with a knock-out quarter final tie of the champions league against a team that up till then found a way to have your number.
Interesting.
debosky:

Interesting Perspective you have there.
Van Persie scored one of the two Dutch goals at the Euros, so I wouldn't classify that as rubbish.
The Dutch in general were rubbish,but I wouldn't say same for van Persie.
I'm thinking 31 Premier League goals the previous season had something to do with that.Even though I wasn't ( and still am not) in favour of that signing,that should be enough reason in his view.You're always fond of comparing apples and oranges.
van Persie was a top talent signed from a rival team.Obviously his situation is different from Nani,or isn't it?
debosky:

And I'm expected to believe what you typed above?
We're talking about his over-all performances since he's been at United which have been inconsistent at best,and you're throwing words about.
No need to respond to that.
Apparently you haven't been reading what I've been writing.The emboldened tells me so.
debosky:
Maverick my flat a$$.
Are we supposed to pay someone for inconsistency?
Would you dare ask your boss to raise your pay if your work was viewed by your boss as inconsistent during the last appraisal?
You people just throw words about for the sake of it without checking how realistic situations are.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 11:18am On Aug 31, 2012
StarBoard:
Didn't expect that from you;but in a way it isn't surprising.
You'd compare the second game of a 38-game season vs a mid-table side with a knock-out quarter final tie of the champions league against a team that up till then found a way to have your number.
Interesting.

A football game is exactly that - a game, regardless of when in the season it was. Unless of course, United was not interested in winning the 2nd game of the 38 in which it dropped Rooney. The fact is, the manager picks the best team for the day - it's no reflection of a player's value.

Interesting Perspective you have there.
Van Persie scored one of the two Dutch goals at the Euros, so I wouldn't classify that as rubbish.
The Dutch in general were rubbish,but I wouldn't say same for van Persie.
I'm thinking 31 Premier League goals the previous season had something to do with that.Even though I wasn't ( and still am not) in favour of that signing,that should be enough reason in his view./quote]

Glad you've seen some reason - this obviates the validity of a player's performances in the Euros as a basis for him signing/getting a raise.

[quote]
You're always fond of comparing apples and oranges.
van Persie was a top talent signed from a rival team.Obviously his situation is different from Nani,or isn't it?

I didn't equate their positions - pay attention! What I equated was trying to use the Euros performance as a basis on whether to sign a player or not.

And I'm expected to believe what you typed above?
We're talking about his over-all performances since he's been at United which have been inconsistent at best,and you're throwing words about.
No need to respond to that.
Apparently you haven't been reading what I've been writing.The emboldened tells me so.

Define what you mean by inconsistent - Nani scored 10 goals in 2010/11, 10 goals in 2011/12. Is that not consistency in goal scoring tallies? As I've repeatedly said, apart from game to game variations (affecting all players) it's the performance over the course of a season that determines whether a player has been consistent or not.

Maverick my flat a$$.
Are we supposed to pay someone for inconsistency?

Inconsistency (in Nani's case) is the other side of being a maverick. You pay for the maverick performances, knowing there will be some inconsistency in there.

Would you dare ask your boss to raise your pay if your work was viewed by your boss as inconsistent during the last appraisal?
You people just throw words about for the sake of it without checking how realistic situations are.

Are footballers now regular employees? Was Rooney consistent in the season he got £250k?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 31, 2012
debosky:

A football game is exactly that - a game, regardless of when in the season it was. Unless of course, United was not interested in winning the 2nd game of the 38 in which it dropped Rooney. The fact is, the manager picks the best team for the day - it's no reflection of a player's value.

And you really think that some games aren't more important than others?
debosky:
I didn't equate their positions - pay attention! What I equated was trying to use the Euros performance as a basis on whether to sign a player or not.
And did you bother to ask where that position of the Euros came up?
debosky:

Define what you mean by inconsistent - Nani scored 10 goals in 2010/11, 10 goals in 2011/12. Is that not consistency in goal scoring tallies? As I've repeatedly said, apart from game to game variations (affecting all players) it's the performance over the course of a season that determines whether a player has been consistent or not.

What about the three seasons before then?
debosky:
Inconsistency (in Nani's case) is the other side of being a maverick. You pay for the maverick performances, knowing there will be some inconsistency in there.

For real you don't have to say anything just because you have to.Does your boss expect you to be inconsistent at some point when he is hiring you?
debosky:

Are footballers now regular employees? Was Rooney consistent in the season he got £250k?

Ludicrous at best.
Do footballers have regular contracts ot not?If yes, I guess you know the answer to your question.
Don't you expect to move to another place if you get a better offer?
So if footballer's aren't regular employees, what are they?Please explain.
As per Rooney, how many goals did he get the previous season before demanding the 250k?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 12:18pm On Aug 31, 2012
StarBoard:
And you really think that some games aren't more important than others?

This is a diversion - I am not thinking games differ in importance, but to make a fatuous linkage between the quality of a player and whether he features in one particular game is ludicrous.

And did you bother to ask where that position of the Euros came up?

I saw where it came up - all I am challenging is your inconsistency. A mediocre Euros is ok for RVP who went out at the first round with his rubbish performances, but Nani who reached the knock out stages with Portugal is rubbish because he didn't make the team of the tournament. grin

What about the three seasons before then?

You might as well ask how many goals he scored when he was 12. His goals tally has been consistent for two seasons - yes or no?

For real you don't have to say anything just because you have to.Does your boss expect you to be inconsistent at some point when he is hiring you?

Another diversion - inconsistency (from game to game) is a flip-side of being a maverick - one day you do something other worldly, the other you're just ordinary. Anyone hiring a maverick expects that type inconsistency. Simple. Besides, no employee performs at the same level throughout.

Do footballers have regular contracts ot not?If yes, I guess you know the answer to your question.

They don't. Do you have image rights in your work contract? Do you get paid for signing shirts? Do you do press conferences? grin

If you get injured and are unable to work, does your boss have to pay you for 3 years if you sign a 3 year contract today? Get real SB.

As per Rooney, how many goals did he get the previous season before demanding the 250k?

Why use one season? Tell me how many he scored in 3 seasons before that as you're attempting to do with Nani. You can't even make a consistent argument and you're accusing Nani of being inconsistent! grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:14pm On Aug 31, 2012
StarBoard:
Story.
Provide a genuine link to prove Spaletti put in a 25 mill bid.Stop peddling speculative rumours.If Spaletti did, I'm pretty sure Nani would have wanted a move given that he would more than likely earn that same wage he's asking for.

you might need to upgrade your internet service cos every man and his dog know nani was courted by zenit! why would nani leave england to go and play for zenit who don't get to play champions league football? is it always about money alone?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2194473/Zenit-hope-sign-Nani-25million.html

I've checked through the net, I can't substantiate your claims on Guardiola.
Guardiola wanted Fabregas and courted him continuously for at least two years. I didn't see that with Nani. Please stick to the facts and not rumours. Please put a link.I've searched the net and can't find anything half as decent as a hint that your claim is true.

guardiola wanted nani....firstly in 2009 and then later in 2011. had they failed to land alexi sanchez, nani was their plan-b!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/5994935/community-shield-nani-looks-forward-to-stepping-out-of-cristiano-ronaldos-shadow.html

And as per explosion, why couldn't Nani do similar stuff last season? If he were paying attention to his gaffer at United, would we be having this discussion?Was Nani in the team of the tournament or not?
If not, then all you've said in the above don't mean nuttin to me, i'm sorry.

the signing of ashley young meant limited appearances! ashley young on the left meant nani and valencia had to be rotated on the right wing....even with that, he scored 8 goals and 12 assists in 2104 league minutes.....in comparison to valencia's 4 goals + 14 assists in 2124 league minutes. do the math - who's been more productive? stop embarrassing yourself, you are better than this!

Wait, you mean to tell me you'd compared a game in an FA Cup second-round tie at home with a semi-final replay at a neutral ground?

the prize at stake was the same thing - arsenal were running away with the league title in 2008. that performance buoyed united's confidence and shattered arsenal's. their form went belly up after that particular game.

You mean to tell me that ball-juggling can be compared to running at 5 Arsenal players in extra time and scoring the winner in the process after United were down to 10 men?
You mean to tell me the Arsenal team of 2007/8 was anything to write home about and compare it with the Arsenal side of 1999 that we pipped to the title by just one point,as good as our team then was?

arsenal of 07/08 were as good if not better than the 98/99 team. arsenal of 2007/8 led the league from august till march that season. they were 5 points clear of the united team that had the holy trinity, a fit owen hargreaves and a tip-top central defensive partnership of rip and vidic! that arsenal team played the best brand of football in the last 7 seasons or thereabout until the nani show!!!!

Honestly I have no replies for you on this one.Like I said, let Nani decide an FA Cup semi-final when we are down to 10 men in extra time. Then I will compare him to Giggs,and endorse whatever raise he's asking for.

nani decided a community shield against our bitterest rivals in man city! although the prize @ stake here was not too important but there's no friendly in a manchester derby! city gave it their best - mancini was desperate for a win and nani scored 2 good goals to see off a city squad that was built with half a billion pounds!

Circumstancial rebuttal at best.
And Giggs has put in great performances.Otherwise his longevity would be a non-factor.Or do you have any other reasons why he has lasted this long at United?

how many great performances has he put in the last 5 seasons? giggs is a liability these days - he's just enjoying the fact that he's a member of the fergie's fledglings!

And how many times thereafter, 5 seasons after, has he repeated those feats?Herein lies the crux of my argument, but you refuse to get it

how many games did nani play in his first 2 seasons he was here? ronaldo didn't let him get a sniff. his emergence came after ronaldo departed and he's been good value for money since ronaldo left. go check out his stats in the last 3 seasons and marvel!

And name those sticky situations he bailed us out from;i seem to have a brain lag. . .or is it just that he hasn't done exactly that?. . .

plenty of games - nani's assist or nani's goal has saved us plenty of times! i cannot begin to count! his exploits at the emirates alone is enough to make him a legend!

Ah but the stats dont tell us Dembele was ineffective (according to you) in the first half.
The stats tell us Dembele had 96% pass completion,for instance. How does that conote what you claim?

dembele was ineffective in the first half - the first half stats said so, his manager said so. if he was effective, his team wouldn't have gone 3-1 down. he stepped it up 15 mins after the 2nd half when sidwell came on and dembele became a 2nd striker....he mauled united's defenders not united's midfield!

the 96% pass completion were also passes that didn't hurt united. anderson copped 95% pass completion. none of the united midfielders copped less than 90% so who did dembele maul in the midfield? like i keep saying, it was late in the second half when he played in the hole that he did the damage!

Face it,stats don't tell us everything about a game.
Again,I might be wrong,but how does a midfielder maul a defence without getting past a midfield?Please explain, I might be short of memory chips in my head.

long balls over the midfield - duh! that was what fellaini did against everton! united had all the possession but fellaini still mauled the defence. everton kept lumping it up to him and he kept winning the aerial battle! we had no answer to fellaini as a second striker just like we had no answer to dembele(when he moved to that position)!!!

So you finally agree that Rooney is more important than Nani

i did not say that - i said nani and rooney are the only united players that can conjure magic out of nowhere. rooney aside, nani is the only other united player with a magic wand! if rooney is on £200k/week, nani should be on £160k/week at least!

Toni Valencia was 2 light years behind Nani yet he managed to be voted the clubs player of the season for last season. I remain to be convinced.

laughable excuse - as you can see above....nani had more productivity than valencia..hell, ashley young had more productivity than nani/valencia but football fans are romantics...valencia got the vote after what he went through with his injury...to actually come back and still perform to the level at which he did last season requires some mental strength so he deserved the award! on the pitch though, valencia was our 3rd most productive winger!!!

Nani's shooting is atrociouos.Let's not even debate that.
Nani for all his bravery (cries and moans like a biyatch) hasn't gotten anywhere near the stratospheric levels you claim his "potential"should have carried him. Instead he's haggling for an improved contract using his agent as his ammo instead of his performances.

nani's shooting is atrocious? petr cech and all sane chelsea fans disagree with you! if his shots are atrocious, what would you say about valencia's? remember nani's debut against tottenham? his goal against reina that season? you are really short of memory chips!!

Apparently you haven't had to recover from a serious knee injury when you're 30 years old and your body is battle-weary, so I don't expect you to make any sense of what your captain is saying. I'm also glad you said you want him to give us both because he 'hasn't given us wins by himself.

it puts things into perspective then that the captain that scored an own goal is pointing accusing finger to his teammates! if vidic is now battle-weary, let him retire so we know we need an experienced head in the defence! his defence has conceded 3 goals - i know what fans would be saying if it's rio marshalling the defence!

Ask Ashley Cole who Valencia is.OT vs Chelsea back-end of 2010/11.
vs Chelsea at OT Champions league ame season.

is that all? this valencia must be special! look around europe and tell me which fullback nani has not mauled.... bayern? barcelona(preseason battles), milan, etc. you are clutching at straws now, ain't you?

Nani won us a meaningless Charity Shield but when the title was at the line at the Etihad (when it mattered more) he hid under everybody else.Where was he then?

valencia(your hero) took part in the game too - where was he? where was rooney? your manager lined up giggs, park and scholes against city's barry, nasri and yaya toure and you want nani to light up the stage? leo messi would have been nonexistent on the night....

He met Baines on the 20th of August (just 11 days ago).What happened?
i could say the same for rooney, vidic, scholes, evra, ferguson, etc. yes let's sack all of them!

Blasphemous at best.
Ronaldo was tearing up the Dutch Eredivisie at that age.So try another line.
Rooney was nowhere near the Great One at that age or at any phase of his career,

i meant cristiano ronaldo - not fat ronaldo! @18/19, rooney was the better player!!

Are Tevez/Aguero's styles similar to Messi to warrant comparisons?

yes!
they all play for argentina - same built, same stocky frames, similar attributes!

If Fergie was daft enough to give Ashley Young that contract(which I still feel is fraudulent at best), then Nani should take up the challenge to prove the old man wrong,instead of bitching like a wimp about his contract.

nani has proven himself already - he's won our player of the season, he's been the mos productive winger in the top division in the last 3 seasons....the ashley young you deride at every given opportunity was our most productive winger last season - it seems you just love arguing against facts and logic.....it's a no brainer - fergie would give nani what he wants and he would be very idiotic to let him leave the club!

for the umpteenth time, mention a better winger than nani in the premier league and stop evading the question.....
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by A40(m): 1:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
StarBoard:
@A-40,
I'm almost convinced you simply have beef for the guy! Dropping Nani to the bench coulda been tactical could also have been due to loss of form! Afterall Fergie put Berbatov on the bench for the 10-11 UCL Final does that prove anything? Anyway we are still waiting! Name 3 wingers in England better than Nani!
Nani trumps Valencia in goals and assists over the last 3 seasons so I don't know what you are expecting really. Are there some other metrics you use to judge wingers which we don't know of??
Is it not the same Valencia that cost y'all the title at Ewood Park?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by A40(m): 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
RuuDie: I'd take a half-fit Theo Walcott over a motivated Nani!

angry
I'm pro-Walcott and even I wouldn't say that
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2012
Cooger aren't u takin' ya Hydrocele ailment to the Paraolympic?

Jxt a Question from a concerned pal
cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (14184) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: ChristoBam and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.