Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4433257 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1152) (1153) (1154) (1155) (1156) (1157) (1158) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2020
barrydiv7:
pls what rate did u get in February then?

3.5% for 182 days.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Nigeria is also on the same part with Lebanon..with huge foreign loans to be paid back from dollars earning so where wilm the dollars for import of medicine and machinery come from ... ( def from our 20 billion dollars dorm holdings )....they can convert all the dorm holding by fait.... ( worst case ) or limit your access to your money ...this what is happing in Lebanon

Ha. Nawao. And I just sent a few dollars to my dorm account this morning.

Where's now the safest place for someone to keep their money?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by naijaoyibo: 12:39pm On Apr 29, 2020
It's best to just buy a safe and hold cash.
Grupo:

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IamR: 12:41pm On Apr 29, 2020
naijaoyibo:
Lol
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Midex88(m): 12:42pm On Apr 29, 2020
naijaoyibo:

Even with the risk of arm robbers? undecided undecided
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 29, 2020
Jarus:

cool
Great ife smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 12:46pm On Apr 29, 2020
naijaoyibo:

Smh! What's this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2020
Grupo:

where is 99 percent more accessible by u alone and u have control over when , how , much u intend to spend
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by naijaoyibo: 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2020
I agree with you on this. However, what if it's the Euro that is underpriced because people do not use Euro as much as the dollar in Nigeria. The Nigerian currency reserves stands at $33 Billion dollars as at today with 30% of that being owned by foreign investors. Back in 2016 when the price of oil crashed, The Naira jumped from 199 to 520 and finally settled at 360. This time around, our reserves are probably lower than that of 2016, and before now the Naira was trading at 360. If we use lessons from the past, the real value of the USD to Naira might be about 600 Naira per dollar. However like a wiseman said above, Nigerian is a country where politics is more important than the economy. The CBN could intervene and crash the rates down to 400, but the question is for how long? Their funds are limited. Russia also has an oil dependent economy much larger than Nigeria's. Russia also possesses more than $500Billion in their reserves. However their currency has lost about 20% value; from 63 ruble to a dollar in February to about 75 ruble to a dollar today. During the steep crash in march, the currency briefly touched 80 ruble to a dollar but has settled down at 74 due to intervention of their Central Bank. Even I still have some Naira Investment but yet to make up my mind on how to react.
TotoNaRubber:
The reason why buying dollar at this time is a rip off

The current buy rate for dollar stands at N460/$ while the buy rate for euro is N450/€ (This is economically impossible, euro is stronger than dollar anywhere in the world and has always been, and will always be EXCEPT in the manipulated Nigerian black market), looking at Aboki even though dollar seems to sell at N460 even though with some contacts you can buy dollar at N400/$ but it will not be in your best interest due to ;
1. You may be scammed (you lose all or part of the money).
2. Buying now only enriches the black market hoarder's pockets, take for instance your Naira is already devalued, you use the same devalued Naira to buy dollar at high rate to put the dollar under your pillow while waiting for a huge rise so you can sell and make profit, while you are waiting the CBN starts intervention and rate stabilises at N430/$, you make losses under selling your overpriced dollar, you make loss in unearned interest on your initial Naira for the period the dollar was under your pillow.

Even though dollar is rising uncontrollably it will be at your own loss to buy now, grow your Naira, worse case, use the Naira and buy a domestic property and mitigate your loses.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 12:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
Watch bbc news and see Lebanon...currently u can withdraw from your dorm accounts (suspended) the banks have used all the saving in dorm accounts to buy dollars bond issued by the govt ....now the govt doest have dollars to pay back ( cos they dont print dollars) so if u need u money (dollars) u have to collect the labanese pounds which is devalued by 60 percent...now with a huge dispoary community ...no body want to wire money into Lebanon....Nigeria is currently having same symptoms...unless crude oil goes back to 70 dollars

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 12:57pm On Apr 29, 2020
Dollar can push hard on currencies but never overtakes.
xe.com
New York times
London stock exchange

olujaidi:

How did you determine the relative strength of the Euro? What objective criteria did you use?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 1:07pm On Apr 29, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Correct

Easier for a frugal top corporate executive who earns N24 million and above to save 50% of his income, than for a civil servant who earns N3 million to save 50% of his income
People earn 24million naira per month as salary in Nigeria??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 1:10pm On Apr 29, 2020
kristien4:
400m a staff in dangote

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:13pm On Apr 29, 2020
kristien4:

Salaries are annual.

CEOs of big companies can earn between N300 million and N600 million per annum

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yomi007k(m): 1:20pm On Apr 29, 2020
naijaoyibo:
Note. You can liquidate your T-bills before maturity. You will only be paid interest accrued to the date of liquidation.
I invested in T-bills August last year at 12.3%. Date of maturity was meant to be 3rd quarter of this year. Immediately I got intel about the devaluation from 360 to 380 back in March, I immediately liquidated, managed to get 6% interest in total and still converted my money to USD at 360 before the devaluation came into effect.

Sharp guy.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 1:28pm On Apr 29, 2020
This your statement about electronic money and limiting withdrawal from domiciliary account is one of my fears about having money saved there.

ahiboilandgas:
Worst scenerio, u convert your naira to dollars and keep where ...dorm account...it still in the banking system the banks can deflaut and only give u naira equivalent at 380....or limit your withdrawals to 100 dollars per days ....if u keep inside your house risk of arm robber...lebanon central bank has used up 100 bn dollars of people saving in dorm accounts ....so u only have it as electronic balances but not physical...Lcb is now te ll people if u want your cash u must accept the labanese pounds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 1:31pm On Apr 29, 2020
ojesymsym:
This your statement about electronic money and limiting withdrawal from domiciliary account is one of my fears about having money saved there.

the cbn has already done that electronic deposits (only electronic transfers) for goods or service...then physical deposits only physical withdrawals

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by buJu234: 1:33pm On Apr 29, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Watch bbc news and see Lebanon...currently u can withdraw from your dorm accounts (suspended) the banks have used all the saving in dorm accounts to buy dollars bond issued by the govt ....now the govt doest have dollars to pay back ( cos they dont print dollars) so if u need u money (dollars) u have to collect the labanese pounds which is devalued by 60 percent...now with a huge dispoary community ...no body want to wire money into Lebanon....Nigeria is currently having same symptoms...unless crude oil goes back to 70 dollars

I dont believe this scenario can work in Nigeria worst will b $$$ withdraw restrictions..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2020
Ahib has made many observations that turned out to be true before o. Even as I hope this scenario never plays out, it is still important to be aware of it.
buJu234:

I dont believe this scenario can work in Nigeria worst will b $$$ withdraw restrictions..

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 1:46pm On Apr 29, 2020
Wrong Motives/Pitfalls to Avoid while Investing:

1. investing just because others are doing so
2. investing as part of the rat race
3. investing to avoid given needed help that is in your power to do
4. investing to avoid taking care of your immediate family current basic needs
5. investing to compete and at the expense of necessity of life
6. investing to shame your friends or others/to show off
7. investing to feed your ego

Right Motives for Investing:

1. Investing to generate passive income
2. Investing as a means of planning for future
3. Investing to increase streams of income
4. Investing to take care of present and future needs of yourself and family
5. Investing to help the needy to meet necessity of life
6. Investing to retire well

For good investment products from Investment One - stocks or mutual funds contact: 08181057319 or click the link on my signature to open account online.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 1:48pm On Apr 29, 2020
Hi guys, does anyone here have idea about catfish farming in a large scale in Nigeria and how lucrative it is, your advise/ideas is much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 1:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
buJu234:

Why not?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 2:06pm On Apr 29, 2020
buJu234:

it not about believing ..it not religion its economy and reason....

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:08pm On Apr 29, 2020
XiaoLi:
Hi guys, does anyone here have idea about catfish farming in a large scale in Nigeria and how lucrative it is, your advise/ideas is much appreciated.

Are you trying to do this as a hobby or business
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 2:11pm On Apr 29, 2020
buJu234:

http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/03/shocking-20-billion-idle-in-banks-as-govt-begs-for-5b-external-loan/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 2:24pm On Apr 29, 2020
As a business
emmanuelewumi:

Are you trying to do this as a hobby or business
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:27pm On Apr 29, 2020
XiaoLi:
As a business

Try and learn the business, there are lots of tricks in Agribusiness.

When you are starting, please start small, learn and grow.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 2:51pm On Apr 29, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/03/shocking-20-billion-idle-in-banks-as-govt-begs-for-5b-external-loan/
I listened to GTB earnings call days ago, they have $1.3Billion in dollars(not customer deposits). They are also hedging against devaluation.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 3:20pm On Apr 29, 2020
Thanks for your advise, the part of the world where i live is very good in agribusiness and i am willing to learn here on the best way to do it, i actually have a cousin in Nigeria who is into it but in a small scale with about 5000 fishes, he said the business is so lucrative and have explained to me a bit how they do it, infact the profit margin he quoted was something insane that made me thinking if it is right to go into it while in Nigeria as i have lived most of my life abroad and planning to relocate to Nigeria soonest.
emmanuelewumi:

Try and learn the business, there are lots of tricks in Agribusiness.

When you are starting, please start small, learn and grow.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by naijaoyibo: 3:21pm On Apr 29, 2020
CBN just made the following announcement:

In view of the gradual easing of the COVID-19 lockdown both globally and in Nigeria, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has resumed provision of foreign exchange to all commercial banks for onward sales to parents wishing to pay schools fees and SMEs wishing to make essential imports needed to revamp economic activities across the country. In particular, the CBN is resuming the provision of over US$100 million per week for both categories.

https://www.proshareng.com/news/Forex/CBN-Resumes-Dollar-Sales-For-SMEs,-School-Fees/50743
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by naijaoyibo: 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2020
We should expect a short term rate crash downwards I think.
naijaoyibo:
CBN just made the following announcement:

In view of the gradual easing of the COVID-19 lockdown both globally and in Nigeria, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has resumed provision of foreign exchange to all commercial banks for onward sales to parents wishing to pay schools fees and SMEs wishing to make essential imports needed to revamp economic activities across the country. In particular, the CBN is resuming the provision of over US$100 million per week for both categories.

https://www.proshareng.com/news/Forex/CBN-Resumes-Dollar-Sales-For-SMEs,-School-Fees/50743
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 3:26pm On Apr 29, 2020
Olaide1295:

I listened to GTB earnings call days ago, they have $1.3Billion in dollars(not customer deposits). They are also hedging against devaluation.

How did you get the information about the earnings call?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1152) (1153) (1154) (1155) (1156) (1157) (1158) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Lookandlaugh and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.