Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,653 members, 7,813,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4433630 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1154) (1155) (1156) (1157) (1158) (1159) (1160) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:20pm On Apr 29, 2020
Dangote will come with a story that equipments and raw materials still need to be imported he need forex....

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 8:14pm On Apr 29, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
after we stop rice the naira was supposed to move back to 250...

Smuggling might be to blame for this. Local production cannot currently meet local demand. Does the refinery lack this capacity? Will there be smuggling of finished petroleum products?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 8:32pm On Apr 29, 2020
The CBN have said they will start fx interventions on monday.
So speculators,make una take note and be on alert.
They also said they will be starting with 100million dollars as lockdown eases.
Let's see how they will cope with this one,I guess this is what the IMF loan they asked for was meant for undecided
So that if oil rebounds before they deplete the $3.4b loan,they'll cut their losses,go to the reserve to refill whatever they might have spent on interventions and repay them or...
If oil doesn't rebound,they'll still deplete it for interventions as usual(political reasons),then upon exhaustion of the fx,they'll use reserves to repay the loan and finally float the naira shocked shocked
It's still going to be bloody then,all their gymnastics will just delay inflation and not deny it,that is if oil stays low till last quarter of 2021 as analysts project grin
So a smart speculator might still know what to do sha.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 8:49pm On Apr 29, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Dangote will come with a story that equipments and raw materials still need to be imported he need forex....
Dangote will earn dollars for his refined oil exports. Is he mandated to bring back his revenue in to Nigeria and convert to Naira?
It won’t pay him to be the defender of the Naira. Using his own money to protect a national currency.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 8:57pm On Apr 29, 2020
Olaide1295:

Dangote will earn dollars for his refined oil exports. Is he mandated to bring back his revenue in to Nigeria and convert to Naira?
It won’t pay him to be the defender of the Naira. Using his own money to protect a national currency.
This has nothing to do with dangote.
If he likes,let him burn the dollars from petrochemical sales,no one cares.
The effect will be from the NNPC no longer having to source for dollars to import fuel.
When the demand isn't there no more,price will crash automatically.
Besides,dangote refinery will be mostly naira oriented since locals will patronize more undecided
Only African countries whose currencies have no direct exchange rate with naira will come with dollars.
The rest that have will exchange their local currencies for naira,this excess demand for naira can also strengthen the naira.
I can hardly see a scenario where dangote refinery will make money in dollars because I don't see him exporting fertilizers to the west where there is a lot of local need here and too much competition in the west in my opinion.
Just that its presence will ease pressure on the dollar,that's all.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:57pm On Apr 29, 2020
CsRockefeller:

As in eh. Me I go enter here see figures, read and go.

My hand never too reach.

Make your mind reach first, then your hand go follow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 9:03pm On Apr 29, 2020
olujaidi:

Smuggling might be to blame for this. Local production cannot currently meet local demand. Does the refinery lack this capacity? Will there be smuggling of finished petroleum products?
How is smuggling to be blamed for it?
I'll really love you to teach me if you can.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chiscomax(m): 9:16pm On Apr 29, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
if u can drive truck i will give a job ....Apapa - join aviation facilty ( ikejia )

what is Aviation facility sir?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 9:22pm On Apr 29, 2020
Theconglomerate:
How is smuggling to be blamed for it?
I'll really love you to teach me if you can.

My thinking is that the FX used is still sourced from Nigeria isn't it? Official records have it that importation of rice has fallen so except if something else took its place, demand for FX should have reduced, yet, we're still the second highest buyer of rice globally. Can you reconcile both?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2020
olujaidi:

My thinking is that the FX used is still sourced from Nigeria isn't it? Official records have it that importation of rice has fallen so except if something else took its place, demand for FX should have reduced, yet, we're still the second highest buyer of rice globally. Can you reconcile both?
Now this is why I asked you that question in the first place because I know too well that the fx used to purchase this rice does not come from Nigeria.
Rather countries like Benin rep,Cameroon,Togo,etc....So this is why I had doubts as to why smuggling of rice from those countries to Nigeria should affect fx pricing in Nigeria.
Nigerians don't go to these countries and import rice through them by themselves,no!There is a chain of command as there is in any other business.
They go there and buy from indegenes of that country who are dealers and bulk buyers of rice in those countries who source their fx for rice from their local economies.
The only effect amugglingof the product have is to beef up demand for their local currencies thereby strengthening it to the naira by little degrees,which is even a good thing as it discourages round-tripping(which even is proof for naira strength) and currency smuggling and beefs up Nigeria's informal export sector which is huge by the way.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 9:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
Theconglomerate:
Now this is why I asked you that question in the first place because I know too well that the fx used to purchase this rice does not come from Nigeria.
Rather countries like Benin rep,Cameroon,Togo,etc....So this is why I had doubts as to why smuggling of rice from those countries to Nigeria should affect fx pricing in Nigeria.
Nigerians don't go to these countries and import rice through them by themselves,no!There is a chain of command as there is in any other business.
They go there and buy from indegenes of that country who are dealers and bulk buyers of rice in those countries who source their fx for rice from their local economies.
The only effect amugglingof the product have is to beef up demand for their local currencies thereby strengthening it to the naira by little degrees,which is even a good thing as it discourages round-tripping(which even is proof for naira strength) and currency smuggling and beefs up Nigeria's informal export sector which is huge by the way.

First off, I said "might". Rice isn't the only thing smuggled anyway. Secondly, if that's the case, then why didn't this affect the exchange rate?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by handsomebolanle: 9:59pm On Apr 29, 2020
Olaide1295:

There is a law that keeps that in check.. To be paid a certain percentage of your revenue in Naira(I think 40 percent)..But the organisation always have their way around it because our system is so porous

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 10:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
olujaidi:

First off, I said "might". Rice isn't the only thing smuggled anyway. Secondly, if that's the case, then why didn't this affect the exchange rate?
Maybe the rice trade has always been insignificant.
Have you thought about that?
300-400 million dollar a year?come on.. cheesy
It just don't matter cheesy
Every other thing smuggled don't also have it's fx coming from Nigeria too na.
Another proof that agriculture that Nigerians have been screaming about is rubbish.
Coconut pyramid my foot.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 29, 2020
wura2u:
Nobody seem to talk about Gold as store of value. I have been thinking about purchase of gold to hedge against inflation or currency devaluation. Anybody thinking along this line? Who is into this line of business? How do you keep the gold against robbery?
Buy a safe in any bank and keep your valuables there just like you bank your money.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IyawoToBe(f): 10:39pm On Apr 29, 2020
Sholapey:
Buy a safe in any bank and keep your valuables there just like you bank your money.

No Nigerian bank currently offer this service. They stopped years ago.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 10:47pm On Apr 29, 2020
Theconglomerate:
Maybe the rice trade has always been insignificant.
Have you thought about that?
300-400 million dollar a year?come on.. cheesy
It just don't matter cheesy
Every other thing smuggled don't also have it's fx coming from Nigeria too na.
Another proof that agriculture that Nigerians have been screaming about is rubbish.
Coconut pyramid my foot.

What about baskets of tomatoes?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 10:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
ositadima1:

What about baskets of tomatoes?
that's my area of specialty,I get am.
You want buy?basket 3500 naira and then mudu is 700 naira. grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 11:07pm On Apr 29, 2020
Theconglomerate:

You are right sha.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chelseamann(m): 5:08am On Apr 30, 2020
The value of Bitcoin keeps increasing and I advice we all to key into cryptocurrency investing.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 6:21am On Apr 30, 2020
odimbannamdi:

I just read the post in below link about the LCB issue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN2252NX

The situation is very sad. If our foreign reserves gets too low, our government may do same.
We are heading towards that direction.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Pascopele: 7:11am On Apr 30, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

You should have shared this at the appropriate threads
We have "potential" clients every where but offline and online.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Pascopele: 7:12am On Apr 30, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
chai make tb move back to 18.5 then we can use the o.5 play around ....now we heading for a recessions..na exclusively family for now
it will and we are anticipating your return to the battle field.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 7:25am On Apr 30, 2020
wura2u:
Nobody seem to talk about Gold as store of value. I have been thinking about purchase of gold to hedge against inflation or currency devaluation. Anybody thinking along this line? Who is into this line of business? How do you keep the gold against robbery?

This is an avenue I think one should explore

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Pascopele: 7:49am On Apr 30, 2020
afroxyz:

This is an avenue I think one should explore
Where can one buy or investment?
Bank
Stock broker
Where?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by salenco1: 8:10am On Apr 30, 2020
Goodmorning fellow Nairalanders. I am new to this thread, can someone explain to me what treasury bill is, and if I want to invest in it how do I go about it. Is it worth investing in?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Viqtour(m): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2020
Good day house.

Please does anyone know the stop rate of the auction yesterday. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ManOfSteel2(m): 8:18am On Apr 30, 2020
Theconglomerate:
Your use of "mudu" shows u are currently living or have lived all ur live in northern Nigeria.....
Which state to be exact?
And thought I read somewhere u said u were a merchant in Onitsha main market

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 8:36am On Apr 30, 2020
ManOfSteel2:

Your use of "mudu" shows u are currently living or have lived all ur live in northern Nigeria.....
Which state to be exact?
And thought I read somewhere u said u were a merchant in Onitsha main market
Not exactly.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by missjekyll: 8:36am On Apr 30, 2020
salenco1:
Goodmorning fellow Nairalanders. I am new to this thread, can someone explain to me what treasury bill is, and if I want to invest in it how do I go about it. Is it worth investing in?

Hi! Nnoo. We usually say read the first 20 pages of this thread. Then come back and ask any questions. Do you think you can do that? it makes for an interesting read. See you soon

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:01am On Apr 30, 2020
Any body with yesterday auction results
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dsticks47(m): 9:07am On Apr 30, 2020
Benefits of Investing in Mutual Funds

Date: 1st May, 2020
Time: 1pm

Join the Webinar

https://zoom.us/j/7389911083?pwd=c09RUDIwNytoVmZjWDJaM2taTG1tZz09