Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,493 members, 7,816,167 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1805) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4438194 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1802) (1803) (1804) (1805) (1806) (1807) (1808) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 9:55am On Mar 14, 2021
ositadima1:

Their will be a diminished demand for petroleum products in d western countries, but in Africa not so much, I still see a lot of 90's cars on the streets. Most African countries cant generate enough electricity to run their basic needs talkless of using it to run vehicles.

50 years from now, the internal combustion engine will still be prevalen in most parts of Africa.

Gbam. People are buying 2001 Toyota Corrola and doing thanksgiving on it and somebody is saying electric cars will replace fuel cars. It might replace in Europe and US but not in Africa. People are still struggling to pay high electric tariff in Africa just to put on bulbs and fans. Is it charging of electric car they will use such for?. Closing down fuel car production plants might be a big opportunity for such to be moved to Africa.

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:37am On Mar 14, 2021
ositadima1:

Trust me, I have done some research on utilizing solar panels to charge PEVs (Plug-in electric vehicles) and it is not viable on a commercial scale. Except there is a drastic improvement in the efficiency of solar panels.

Let me do a little math here:

2020 Tesla Model 3 Long Range only requires 26 kWh of energy per 100 miles.

A standard solar panel generates 300W per hour.

You need 26000 / 300 = 86 pannels to fully charge one vehicle in 1 hour.

You need 26000 / (300 × 2) = 43 pannels to fully charge one vehicle in 2 hour.

You need 26000 / (300 x 5) = 17 pannels to fully charge one vehicle in 5 hour.

U get my drift? Note that I am not accounting for losses during the energy transfer.

On your second point, like u said, people solving these problem don't take Africa into account - they dont take our abysmal electricity situation into account.

Even at that, they are not going to run this vehicles on solar, they are planning to install charging stations for these cars supplied from a grid.

Do we have such infrastructure in Nigeria, most importantly, are we going to have them in the near future?
To add to your submission.Will the heavy duty cars which Carry goods run on electric engine too.Then this solar power thing is not working.Most houses and businesses installing it hadly use it for six months.It either stops working or not generating enough power.look at goverment street lights.The panel always have one issue or the other.Why are the banks not using them.Most people will rather go for inverters being charged by phcn power or generator.The use of fuel is not going anywhere in the next 50yrs in Africa and many poor nation.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LauraClasikVibe(f): 10:47am On Mar 14, 2021
Biafran4life:
To add to your submission.Will the heavy duty cars which Carry goods run on electric engine too.Then this solar power thing is not working.Most houses and businesses installing it hadly use it for six months.It either stops working or not generating enough power.look at goverment street lights.The panel always have one issue or the other.Why are the banks not using them.Most people will rather go for inverters being charged by phcn power or generator.The use of fuel is not going anywhere in the next 50yrs in Africa and many poor nation.
The solar panels are working the one procured by the government are the ones that does not last and to ensure the call them back to either install or run maintenance on it periodically. Our roads come to mind as regards this.

Same way they said About ATM, AirbnbB, and many other innovations.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 10:59am On Mar 14, 2021
Biafran4life:

The same way people thought GSM would not work, and too expensive for Nigerians. Renewable energy costs have been on the decline in the paat decade. As more capital is allocated to renweable energy, costs would come down making it more afforable for people. Also, oil companies like Shell or Chevron are already commiting to renewable energy. BP already has a fledging renweable energy unit. If your biggest consumers (US, China, India and Europe) re moving away from oil, would producing crude still be profitable in the long term? Is it the African market that would produce enough fx to meet Nigeria's needs? Saudi is already investing massively in hydrogen and is aiming at having the cheapest renweable energy coats globally.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:23pm On Mar 14, 2021
Donbrig:
From emmasoft who is still banned. As you rightly said, there is incentive fees for fund managers in mutual funds which makes the displayed rate as net for some funds, depending on the managers.

There is management incentive for VGIF, the difference is where the incentives come from which differs from other types of funds and it is one of the uniqueness of VGIF.

No incentive is deducted from the guaranteed rate (SDF) which is currently 4.5%

All incentives come from the excess returns above the SDF.

Here is the excess above SDF sharing formula for VGIF: 35% of excess above SDF for investors of fund, 15% of excess above SDF revenue reserve of the fund, 50% of excess above SDF is incentive fees for the fund managers and fees for other parties to the fund.

This is a win win situation for investors in VGIF, since fund managers always get paid from the excess above SDF, they strive to always have excess above SDF because no excess no pay and once there is excess the investors get additional earnings above the guaranteed rate.

In this case, the current 4.5% is the least all investors will get, they will always get more.

Thank you very much. Has CBN reviewed the SDF?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by keeper303: 1:06pm On Mar 14, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Welcome. Baba oyoyo. I hope you brought puff puff for your students. Lol
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 2:30pm On Mar 14, 2021
ositadima1:

Trust me, I have done some research on utilizing solar panels to charge PEVs (Plug-in electric vehicles) and it is not viable on a commercial scale. Except there is a drastic improvement in the efficiency of solar panels.

Let me do a little math here:

2020 Tesla Model 3 Long Range only requires 26 kWh of energy per 100 miles.

A standard solar panel generates 300W per hour.

You need 26000 / 300 = 86 pannels to fully charge one vehicle in 1 hour.

You need 26000 / (300 × 2) = 43 pannels to fully charge one vehicle in 2 hour.

You need 26000 / (300 x 5) = 17 pannels to fully charge one vehicle in 5 hour.

U get my drift? Note that I am not accounting for losses during the energy transfer.

On your second point, like u said, people solving these problem don't take Africa into account - they dont take our abysmal electricity situation into account.

Even at that, they are not going to run this vehicles on solar, they are planning to install charging stations for these cars supplied from a grid.

Do we have such infrastructure in Nigeria, most importantly, are we going to have them in the near future?

Lets not drag on the numbers or the technology that would replace oil, its not in my place to say anything on that

but the practical example i gave should show you that the world is heading somewhere, " the normal electrical store usually possess 1 i pass my neigbour Generator to test bulbs, DVDs, and sundry that customer buys, the fact that many have moved to solar tells me this traders have seen something practical in it...................... This definitely is revenue loss both for NEPA and Oil traders...........

Africa will definitely not be left behind, rather i would say maybe Africans would use technology of lower quality, If Apple phones are too expensive, we use tecno and itel and not grand mama telephone

Me and You know that Yankee Coke taste better than Nigerian Bottled Coke, but Coke na still Coke, Africans are not drinking Zobo and calling it coke

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 14, 2021
afroxyz:

The same way people thought GSM would not work, and too expensive for Nigerians. Renewable energy costs have been on the decline in the paat decade. As more capital is allocated to renweable energy, costs would come down making it more afforable for people. Also, oil companies like Shell or Chevron are already commiting to renewable energy. BP already has a fledging renweable energy unit. If your biggest consumers (US, China, India and Europe) re moving away from oil, would producing crude still be profitable in the long term? Is it the African market that would produce enough fx to meet Nigeria's needs? Saudi is already investing massively in hydrogen and is aiming at having the cheapest renweable energy coats globally.
Oga I no get strength.We don't live in the moon.How many Nigerian drive new cars presently or can afford quality one including you.The electric car will come as brand new car.And how much do you think it will cost for the low/middle class to buy one With good safety standard..Pls don't even advocate people can go the way of consumer loan

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 14, 2021
maishai:

Lets not drag on the numbers or the technology that would replace oil, its not in my place to say anything on that

but the practical example i gave should show you that the world is heading somewhere, " the normal electrical store usually possess 1 i pass my neigbour Generator to test bulbs, DVDs, and sundry that customer buys, the fact that many have moved to solar tells me this traders have seen something practical in it...................... This definitely is revenue loss both for NEPA and Oil traders...........

Africa will definitely not be left behind, rather i would say maybe Africans would use technology of lower quality, If Apple phones are too expensive, we use tecno and itel and not grand mama telephone

Me and You know that Yankee Coke taste better than Nigerian Bottled Coke, but Coke na still Coke, Africans are not drinking Zobo and calling it coke
Oga no body has moved to anything solar.Go around the small business Everywhere it is still generator.I better pass my neighbor. The medium and big businesses are still on generators.Abeg I am on the street and say what I see.Go to any plaza, or estate is all generator.All fast food, fueling stations,salon,banks,welders etc,Whr are you getting your own information.Hope you have not turned to APC

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2021
Petrol cars go de for a very long time at least for Africa.

Na people for Congo wan go buy electrical car??

Next 50 years sef... I wont be surprised if many factories are relocated to Africa and Asia. Many of those factories could be sold to Africa and Asia entrepreneurs.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by akinola98: 3:21pm On Mar 14, 2021
IyawoToBe:
I asked and was told it has not been listed. How true is this?

That is strange.... because most of those that were bought at the same time are being listed long ago . U need to dig more into this
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 4:31pm On Mar 14, 2021
From emmasoft: For now, SDF has not been reviewed. Personally, I believe SDF review could happen in any of the next three CBN meetings in March, May or July.

The reason for my opinion is because inflation is still on the rise, so CBN may want to fight back by increasing rates.

emmanuelewumi:

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Silverpurple: 5:19pm On Mar 14, 2021
maishai:

Most POS cash point operators use solar to charge their units. These kind of places were powered by tiger generators.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:24pm On Mar 14, 2021
Biafran4life:
Oga no body has moved to anything solar.Go around the small business Everywhere it is still generator.I better pass my neighbor. The medium and big businesses are still on generators.Abeg I am on the street and say what I see.Go to any plaza, or estate is all generator.All fast food, fueling stations,salon,banks,welders etc,Whr are you getting your own information.Hope you have not turned to APC

If solar is working as maishai is claiming, how come the GSM companies have not switched their base stations to it but are still relying on diesel powered generators.

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 5:49pm On Mar 14, 2021
Im not claiming anything, what Im saying is that whatever makes the govt of developed countries trying to phase out petrol and diesel engine cars from their roads will also trickle down to Africa ............... Im not a scientist to start advocating the advantages of one form of energy over another, what im saying is that this technologies that are touted to replace engines are filtering in gradually to the streets, Solar is just an example that I have seen being used daily around me with laymen advocating its efficiency over Nepa and petrol generators.......................... The more this tech gets cheaper the more the adoption, the more you see them in Africa ..........

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 6:05pm On Mar 14, 2021
Biafran4life:
Oga I no get strength.We don't live in the moon.How many Nigerian drive new cars presently or can afford quality one including you.The electric car will come as brand new car. And how much do you think it will cost for the low/middle class to buy one With good safety standard..Pls don't even advocate people can go the way of consumer loan

there are lots of enterprising folks hustling trying to make ends meet..................... Let me give an example, when the price of Keke marwa was getting out of hand, someone out there probably in Ladipo came up with the Idea of bringing in this Suzuki hijet buses from Japan as tokumbo replacement for keke, a risk that finally paid off as it is priced in conjuction with new keke.......................... At inception I once priced this buses for 100k and the seller would sell gladly to me, something you cant get now for 900k

One thing with free markets is that people will come up with solutions, You will be suprised

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 6:16pm On Mar 14, 2021
Biafran4life:
Oga I no get strength.We don't live in the moon.How many Nigerian drive new cars presently or can afford quality one including you.The electric car will come as brand new car.And how much do you think it will cost for the low/middle class to buy one With good safety standard..Pls don't even advocate people can go the way of consumer loan

Never bet against innovation. Its all I'm saying

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:29pm On Mar 14, 2021
maishai:

there are lots of enterprising folks hustling trying to make ends meet..................... Let me give an example, when the price of Keke marwa was getting out of hand, someone out there probably in Ladipo came up with the Idea of bringing in this Suzuki hijet buses from Japan as tokumbo replacement for keke, a risk that finally paid off as it is priced in conjuction with new keke.......................... At inception I once priced this buses for 100k and the seller would sell gladly to me, something you cant get now for 900k

One thing with free markets is that people will come up with solutions, You will be suprised
I don't think so in Lagos sha it was the ban of keke and bike that brought mini buses in Mass ....it govt regulation notting ....

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:32pm On Mar 14, 2021
afroxyz:

Never bet against innovation. Its all I'm saying
with dollars hitting 500 na only 0.00001 percent of Nigerians go ever drive brand new car....currently the tokubo na challenge next na Nigeria use people go dey use

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23pm On Mar 14, 2021
NL1960:

If solar is working as maishai is claiming, how come the GSM companies have not switched their base stations to it but are still relying on diesel powered generators.

A lot of BSTNs run on solar. Only the backbone sites run strictly on generator.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 14, 2021
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 9:46am On Mar 15, 2021
Some banks are on solar now, FCMB Eket branch
in the long run, solar usage is very profitable economically. like that bank that max during the day and minimal usage at night, if properly managed will be more profitable than public power source. over 6years I have used solar and I wish to share the good news, its better than any other source in Nigeria, before then I spent 14k monthly for NEPA plus gen but now with my meter, I spent less than 1k in a month and only uses gen to pump water. you can help me calculate the six years cost then compare with the cost of solar system.

years to come, fuel will phase out. the electric car will start having tokumbo and we will switch lanes.

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 15, 2021
RayRay06677:
Some banks are on solar now, FCMB Eket branch
in the long run, solar usage is very profitable economically. like that bank that max during the day and minimal usage at night, if properly managed will be more profitable than public power source. over 6years I have used solar and I wish to share the good news, its better than any other source in Nigeria, before then I spent 14k monthly for NEPA plus gen but now with my meter, I spent less than 1k in a month and only uses gen to pump water. you can help me calculate the six years cost then compare with the cost of solar system.

years to come, fuel will phase out. the electric car will start having tokumbo and we will switch lanes.
Since you have used it.I have not.
I will like to find out something from you
1.How many panel and size are you using
2What appliances is this capacity covering for you
3what duration does it last or supply power
4.What is the total cost both for installation and gadgets
5How long have you been using it.
6What is the maintenance cost
Please this is just to know whether to switch from generator.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:37am On Mar 15, 2021
Oga, solar works especially when properly sized, that I can tell you for free.

Most people have an energy mix of Solar, Gen and PHCN.

There is a very active thread for solar, you will be properly guided on how to go about it.

The rule of thumb is usually to start by powering just you most essential appliances and grow gradually from there as you begin to understand the system.

Biafran4life:

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yazga: 10:41am On Mar 15, 2021
wink
ojesymsym:

There is a very active thread for solar, you will be properly guided on how to go about it.

The rule of thumb is usually to start by powering just you most essential appliances and grow gradually from there as you begin to understand the system.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:49am On Mar 15, 2021
ojesymsym:

ok thanks.i didn't know thr is a thread for it

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Freciprocal: 11:09am On Mar 15, 2021
ojesymsym:

Sadly you were not even the one he quoted

How have u answered his questions now?

Jumping on mentions without reading and comprehending. If u must answer someone questions, do so intelligently.

Sadly you were not even the one he quoted.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:34am On Mar 15, 2021
Biafran4life:
There is a solar thread here on nairaland. You will learn alot and set up a very reliable system if you follow the instructions there.

That's how I set up my own solar system and its been serving me well for 3 years now.

https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 12:03pm On Mar 15, 2021
Biafran4life:

I started using it in 2015, cost was 900k. 3.5kva.
8panels but can't be specific on size, 4 200AH batteries.

TV and accessories, deep freezer 10hrs daily from 7am to 5pm. fans and lights. it supports 24/7. on maintenance, I changed the charge controller, bought a new board for inverter after thunder burst the original, fortified the earthing after that event and it has never repeat. I bought surge controller. no other expenditure/cost

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 12:39pm On Mar 15, 2021
ahiboilandgas:
with dollars hitting 500 na only 0.00001 percent of Nigerians go ever drive brand new car....currently the tokubo na challenge next na Nigeria use people go dey use
The cost of Tesla car is reducing because of breakthrough in battery technology . The chinese are also making cheaper versions. Las las second hand market go dey. Just the mobile phones were first expensive before everyone could afford them. It may take a long time, but there would be a time the country would have no choice

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 1:06pm On Mar 15, 2021
afroxyz:

The cost of Tesla car is reducing because of breakthrough in battery technology . The chinese are also making cheaper versions. Las las second hand market go dey. Just the mobile phones were first expensive before everyone could afford them. It may take a long time, but there would be a time the country would have no choice
no doubt by 2100 ....crude oil will still be used for Trucks(AGO) , Planes (Atk) cooking Gas (Lpg ) heating Gas And Gas turbines it might take 0ver years to fully transit

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1802) (1803) (1804) (1805) (1806) (1807) (1808) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.