Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1808) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4438350 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1805) (1806) (1807) (1808) (1809) (1810) (1811) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 3:01pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

To buy a listed bond is just like buying a listed coy on the exchange; if there is a seller then you can buy.

Since you have a cscs account already that is what it takes. You give a purchase order to your broker and if available they will buy for you.

However, if you wish to go along with investment one, the first thing is to open a cscs account, you can do that online just click on the link on my signature and complete the online form once it is opened we take it up from there.
Thanks for your timely response Chief Emmasoft, they later called me to explain things to me exactly like u said just now. But want thing I don't understand is that they told me about [/b]Offer Unit that might be different from the initial Unit the government sold it[b]. [/b]Can u please shed more lights as to the Units different and d Long time effective of such variations in original Unit vs Secondary offer Units and the effect on the overall yield. I can as well cite ur response with some empirical figures[b].
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
Thanks for your timely response Chief Emmasoft, they later called me to explain things to me exactly like u said just now. But want thing I don't understand is that they told me about [/b]Offer Unit that might be different from the initial Unit the government sold it[b]. [/b]Can u please shed more lights as to the Units different and d Long time effective of such variations in original Unit vs Secondary offer Units and the effect on the overall yield. I can as well cite ur response with some empirical figures[b].

Without going to any technicality just understand basically that once a bond has been offered in the primary auction the price, yield/rate on that bond will never be the same again when it's in the secondary market. For this SUKUK 3 now or any bond in the secondary market the price most likely will be higher than what it's at the primary auction and the yield lower. So buying now I doubt if you will get 11.2% as it's in the primary auction. The only time you get everything as it's written in the bond document is when you buy and hold to maturity.
Hence you notice that most discerning investors will not want a reopening bond.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 4:30pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

Without going to any technicality just understand basically that once a bond has been offered in the primary auction the price, yield/rate on that bond will never be the same again when it's in the secondary market. For this SUKUK 3 now or any bond in the secondary market the price most likely will be higher than what it's at the primary auction and the yield lower. So buying now I doubt if you will get 11.2% as it's in the primary auction. The only time you get everything as it's written in the bond document is when you buy and hold to maturity.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. But what I was told is that d interest rate remain d same 11.2% but d unit per price will change
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 4:36pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
Thanks a lot for the clarification. But what I was told is that d interest rate remain d same 11.2% but d unit per price will change

Yes with the price changed the yield changed as well.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:41pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:

That will make you yield to be lower unless you are lucky to buy at a discount

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:41pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

Yes with the price changed the yield changed as well.

Correct

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2021
Thanks all for this eye opening tutorials, I really appreciate your tutelage. God bless you all

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 5:01pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:

I want to suggest you keep the money in VGIF and continue to top up while waiting for the next SUKUK. since you can always enjoy any upward adjustment of rates and you can exit VGIF when you wish.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 5:05pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

I want to suggest you keep the money in VGIF and continue to top up while waiting for the next SUKUK. since you can always enjoy any upward adjustment of rates and you can exit VGIF when you wish.
at what rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 5:10pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
at what rate

Currently guaranteed rate is 4.5% with an additional interest that can get your total earning to around 8%. The payment is twice a year and like I said earlier if there is upward rate adjustment it also affect your funds in VGIF
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 5:19pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

Currently guaranteed rate is 4.5% with an additional interest that can get your total earning to around 8%. The payment is twice a year and like I said earlier if there is upward rate adjustment it also affect your funds in VGIF
Thanks for your insight
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 5:22pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

what do u mean by additional interest rate? Y not together? U mean u have passive and active interest rate on VGIF?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:28pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

How long does it take to open the account. Someone sent the scanned copies of his filled form to customercare@investment-one.com, since Wednesday but has not gotten a reply that the account has been opened for her
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yazga: 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
Thanks all for this eye opening tutorials, I really appreciate your tutelage. God bless you all
You can also decided to Invest in US Stocks using the link in my signature we both get FREE shares

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 5:38pm On Mar 19, 2021
yazga:
You can also decided to Invest in US Stocks using the link in my signature we both get FREE shares
Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godbpraised: 5:46pm On Mar 19, 2021
?
yazga:
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 5:47pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmasoft:

I went back to the drawing board nd I came out with thsee base on d initial question I ask. What dey are trying to let me know is dat d interest rates remain d same 11.2% but d unit per price may differ. Meaning..... d last Sukuk was sold at #1,000 per unit. Assuming you are buying 5m worth of money, ur total units will be #5m ÷#1,000 =5,000 units nd ur yield will b 5,000 × 11.2% which gives you 5,600.00 d same as #560,000.
NOW
This is what dey mean by change in unit price. Assuming dey decided to sell their own at the secondary market rate of let's say #1,100 per units. Now assuming u r coming with d same #5m to d secondary market @ #1,100 per unit, u will something like #5m ÷ 1,100 = 4,545, soo ur total units will be 4,545 units. Let's go again by the actual rate of 11.2% × 4,545 = 50,904:00 which translate to #500, 904 as d total yield. The above illustration is solely base on my on point of view as a layman in stock market and is subject to corrections, criticism, modification e.t.c
God bless you all

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godbpraised: 5:48pm On Mar 19, 2021
The Sixth Commandment of Investment, Knowest thou what thou invest in ? You must understand what you invest in? Know in full details. My advise
Akerewe:
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godbpraised: 5:51pm On Mar 19, 2021
Bro i advise you wait for the upcoming sale of the Sukuk this year, speculation are rife that it would be sold in june this year, be patient. My advise
Akerewe:
I went back to the drawing board nd I came out with thsee base on d initial question I ask. What dey are trying to let me know is dat d interest rates remain d same 11.2% but d unit per price may differ. Meaning..... d last Sukuk was sold at #1,000 per unit. Assuming you are buying 5m worth of money, ur total units will be #5m ÷#1,000 =5,000 units nd ur yield will b 5,000 × 11.2% which gives you 5,600.00 d same as #560,000. NOW
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:52pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
I went back to the drawing board nd I came out with thsee base on d initial question I ask. What dey are trying to let me know is dat d interest rates remain d same 11.2% but d unit per price may differ. Meaning..... d last Sukuk was sold at #1,000 per unit. Assuming you are buying 5m worth of money, ur total units will be #5m ÷#1,000 =5,000 units nd ur yield will b 5,000 × 11.2% which gives you 5,600.00 d same as #560,000. NOW

If the price increase to 1200. 5000 units will cost you N6 million and you will have a coupon of N560,000, your yield will be 9.33%

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 6:08pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

If the price increase to 1200. 5000 units will cost you N6 million and you will have a coupon of N560,000, your yield will be 9.33%
but dey selling in multiple of 1 unit at a time not
compulsory u buy bulk unit like 5,000 at ago. What u saying is d same thing as my illustration. D broker said d interest rates remain d same. Dat its d unit price that will change which av illustrated above
Simply d same as #6m ÷ 1200 = 5000units. Then 5,000 × 11.2% = #560,000
kindly signify if am right or wrong
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:28pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
but dey selling in multiple of 1 unit at a time not
compulsory u buy bulk unit like 5,000 at ago. What u saying is d same thing as my illustration. D broker said d interest rates remain d same. Dat its d unit price that will change which av illustrated above
Simply d same as #6m ÷ 1200 = 5000units. Then 5,000 × 11.2% = #560,000
kindly signify if am right or wrong

It is still the same thing. Prorate the calculation used for 1000 to 10 or 1.

Whenever the price increases the yield will reduce, eventhough the coupon is the same.

Please invest in what you understand, it appears you are having issues understanding this easy concept

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 6:53pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

How long does it take to open the account. Someone sent the scanned copies of his filled form to customercare@investment-one.com, since Wednesday but has not gotten a reply that the account has been opened for her

If it's VGIF max 48hrs cscs 72hrs.
Sincerely completing d form online is faster from experience.
However, if the form was received after noon you count from the next biz day.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 7:02pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
what do u mean by additional interest rate? Y not together? U mean u have passive and active interest rate on VGIF?

The guaranteed rate is benchmark with SDF and doesn't change except if there is change in SDF by CBN. The additional rate is anything above the bench mark and it's dependent on fund performance and not static.

The reason why there will always be additional interest is because from there the fund manager and other parties to the fund get their fees paid
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 19, 2021
Pls what I am get from this sukuk bond is that you can buy it at primary mrk and when is listed on secondary market it could go north.Now my questions
Is it possible it goes North in the secondary market by 50% or more and South the same way
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 7:38pm On Mar 19, 2021
Biafran4life:
Pls what I am get from this sukuk bond is that you can buy it at primary mrk and when is listed on secondary market it could go north.Now my questions
Is it possible it goes North in the secondary market by 50% or more and South the same way

It's possible anyway

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dsticks47(m): 8:19pm On Mar 19, 2021
Akerewe:
what is the interest rate on both package?
Good evening sir.
In respect to the question above, All the Funds in our Child Trust are invested as a pool at a current rate of 9% per annum, subject to reviews in line with market conditions. The returns on investment are consolidated and reinvested with the principal, year on year. Clients are entitled to their statement of account and investment statement and will receive same upon a request to their account officer or to our Customer Care team.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by QuinModah(f): 8:21pm On Mar 19, 2021
Godbpraised:
Madam yours is small, i have a tenant in my apartment for over 1 year his has not paid rent. i gave him 3months notice to park out and took him to Arbitration and complied him to pay we have given him up to march, the guy dey tell me say 31st March him go pay. His owing 385k. Meanwhile he always says that he knows The SSG to Buhari , he has 300 millon Naira contract in Abuja. My sister make God help us. You need to change that lawyer fast, the guy is milking you .
I fired him ASAP, his inompetence stinks to high heaven.

How do you meet such tenant?
Arbitration?
What's was the ruling of this arbitration?
Is arbitration a court?

Such tenant will never pay, from experience.

Avoid the following tenants
- Contractors (They keep expecting millions from contracts that never happened, telling you how they know Sanwo-Olu and how his yet to pay for the road in Ikorodu or supplies they made to Alausa that are yet to be paid for)

- Business men (don't even make the mistake at all, before he says, "I am a bus....man", just tell him straight up, you don't give out your houses to business men, they are never truthful, mess up the house, give false information, bring more than the specified number of occupants the house can occupy)

- Pastors (it's a constant battle with them, telling church members that you are the reason for his lack of success, and when it time to pay, he tell you stories, that God will do a miracle. I would have mentioned churches but I'll let it pass)

- Lawyers (On no account should you lease to them)

- Artists ( You will spend more than the money you collected for damages and rent to put the house to a good taste, my property I lease to Asa in Surulere, I spent 950k to put the apartment in order before the current occupant could stay there)

In addition, ensure whoever you rent out the house to, their wives MUST be working. I learnt that here.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alphascorpio(m): 8:40pm On Mar 19, 2021
Please was anybody able to successfully buy tbills today? I went to zenith bank early this week in anticipation of the next auction date but I was told by the officer in charge of tbills that purchase of tbills has been suspended for now. I'm really confused. Is that peculiar to zenith bank alone? I want to know if I'll need to move my money to another bank.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godbpraised: 9:15pm On Mar 19, 2021
Madam i am learning everyday. Hmmm

QuinModah:

Arbitration?
Is arbitration a court?

- Contractors (They keep expecting millions from contracts that never happened, telling you how they know Sanwo-Olu and how his yet to pay for the road in Ikorodu or supplies they made to Alausa that are yet to be paid for)

- Business men (don't even make the mistake at all, before he says, "I am a bus....man", just tell him straight up, you don't give out your houses to business men, they are never truthful, mess up the house, give false information, bring more than the specified number of occupants the house can occupy)

- Pastors (it's a constant battle with them, telling church members that you are the reason for his lack of success, and when it time to pay, he tell you stories, that God will do a miracle. I would have mentioned churches but I'll let it pass)

- Artists ( You will spend more than the money you collected for damages and rent to put the house to a good taste, my property I lease to Asa in Surulere, I spent 950k to put the apartment in order before the current occupant could stay there)

In addition, ensure whoever you rent out the house to, their wives MUST be working. I learnt that here.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 9:21pm On Mar 19, 2021
QuinModah:

Arbitration?
Is arbitration a court?

All this one for house? Just kukuma close shop

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stevemims(m): 9:24pm On Mar 19, 2021
Na wa o! Who to trust for this landlord-tenant palava? Nigerians! We be extraordinary people mehn ���
QuinModah:

Arbitration?
Is arbitration a court?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1805) (1806) (1807) (1808) (1809) (1810) (1811) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: freeman67

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.