Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,225 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1819) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4438252 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1816) (1817) (1818) (1819) (1820) (1821) (1822) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:10pm On Mar 24, 2021
afroxyz:

if there would bw improvement in economy then why woukd tbill rates increase? isnt it meant to be the opposite?
One of the purpose of TB is to reduce the money in circulation.To check mate banks from unwarranted loans and politicians on spending madness they will have to increase TB not to create artificial inflation. TB is also for Short time borrowing of government not really an indicator to say the economy is doing well

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 24, 2021
afroxyz:

if there would bw improvement in economy then why woukd tbill rates increase? isnt it meant to be the opposite?

The guy go think say he has made sense. How on earth can higher interest rates lead to growth in an economy? How can higher interest rates mean an improvement in the economic indices of a country? So because people dey collect higher rates for Tbills, it now means the economy is growing and improving? SMH.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2021
ojesymsym:
How does this effect or affect us?

At the end of the two-day bimonthly MPC meeting, all policy levers were maintained following a unanimous vote of all committee members.

• Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) - 11.50%
• Asymmetric corridor around the MPR - +100/-700bps,
• Cash Reserve Ratio – 27.50%, and
• Liquidity Ratio 30.0%.

Thank you, but these same set of people have been voting unanimously in favour of one policy or the other yet things aren't better for the naira.
Is this a case of the 'Nay' or the 'Yeh' have it like our sleeping senators

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 24, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

The guy go think say he has made sense. How on earth can higher interest rates lead to growth in an economy? How can higher interest rates mean an improvement in the economic indices of a country? So because people dey collect higher rates for Tbills, it now means the economy is growing and improving? SMH.
Maybe I should write in igbo for you to understand because all you just said is an opposite of what I wrote or you are just looking for fault.The improvement I mentioned is in relationship to Dan refinery an not TB and as per election year will be closer.... monkey girl that has turned to a man because of identity crisis

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 24, 2021
Even an idiot will know that the economic indices that will be coming out from next quarter of next year will be far better than what we have now.If not so on what will the ruling party hang it's campaign.Or will it be on security which we know they have nothing to show for it.And thr biggest joker is Dan refinery as the fertilizer section will kick start this month.Then with Dan refinery,our dollar expenditure will reduce which will straighten the naira which is why it is partly financed by CBN.So expect improvement next year whether artificial or real

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 24, 2021
Biafran4life:
Even an idiot will know that the economic indices that will be coming out from next quarter of next year will be far better than what we have now.If not so on what will the ruling party hang it's campaign.Or will it be on security which we know they have nothing to show for it.And thr biggest joker is Dan refinery as the fertilizer section will kick start this month.Then with Dan refinery,our dollar expenditure will reduce which will straighten the naira which is why it is partly financed by CBN.So expect improvement next year whether artificial or real

So what has this gibberish you have written got to do with double digit T Bill rates?

What has Dangote fertilizer got to do with anything? Are you aware that Notore and Indorama are currently producing excess fertilizer that they are struggling to sell in the international market?

So when Dangote refinery comes onboard and we save on forex and Naira strengthens (as you claim), why would CBN want to increase rates to double digits? Think...

If you don’t know how things work, you really don’t have to comment wink

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Beansman: 2:04pm On Mar 24, 2021
Good afternoon every one.
Please I need bankers and financial experts in the house to help out on this.
A friend of mine is a co signatory to an account that his father open with one of Nigeria bank,and the account is solely for receiving payment from an oil company in Nigeria(pipeline surveillance contract). My friend's father also gave him power of authority with respect to the surveillance contract.
My friend's father is late now and the bank is saying my friend can no longer operate the account and it is the money from the account he uses to paying worker carrying out the surveillance of the oil pipeline.
What is the way forward please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 24, 2021
Yahooze lipsrsealed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 2:52pm On Mar 24, 2021
Beansman:
Good afternoon every one.
Please I need bankers and financial experts in the house to help out on this.
A friend of mine is a co signatory to an account that his father open with one of Nigeria bank,and the account is solely for receiving payment from an oil company in Nigeria(pipeline surveillance contract). My friend's father also gave him power of authority with respect to the surveillance contract.
My friend's father is late now and the bank is saying my friend can no longer operate the account and it is the money from the account he uses to paying worker carrying out the surveillance of the oil pipeline.
What is the way forward please?
It's your not your friend.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 24, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

So what has this gibberish you have written got to do with double digit T Bill rates?

What has Dangote fertilizer got to do with anything? Are you aware that Notore and Indorama are currently producing excess fertilizer that they are struggling to sell in the international market?

So when Dangote refinery comes onboard and we save on forex and Naira strengthens (as you claim), why would CBN want to increase rates to double digits? Think...

If you don’t know how things work, you really don’t have to comment wink
Go and sit in the gutter.You want to justify you claim as professional investment figure head You think is by writing English without practical job or investment portfolio.I won't be surprised, i am even more knowledged in investment matters than you do based on academic qualifications.The real truth is that what you get in class room mostly when the motive is to pass exams and graduate is not like the knowledge you get in forums like this.If you go back to my post you will see whr I mentioned the two main purpose of TB.You can belong to the group that don't believe that Dan refinery when it comes alive it will make a difference,I do strongly believe it will.You just turned to be a man.Why didn't you dispute moons ago in my old post as you are cid in digging up old post
Finally your type have nothing to show me when it comes to accomplishment because an Abusite is ahead of naturally.My post has been on TB and the economy general.You can continue looking for loopholes in my comments as you can't find old post to place me.I can't be poor by his grace.I am on this investment threads to see how to create generational wealth as my late old man was millionaire if we use present parameter.You know what it is to buy 505 @11 k early 80.This is not supposed to be here but I know you are trying very hard to dig up old post to profile me.In the days of SMN my best individual was nosa because he no send you massage.How old are you slay queen?

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 24, 2021
Biafran4life:
Go and sit in the gutter.You want to justify you claim as professional investment figure head You think is by writing English without practical job or investment portfolio.I won't be surprised, i am even more knowledged in investment matters than you do based on academic qualifications.The real truth is that what you get in class room mostly when the motive is to pass exams and graduate is not like the knowledge you get in forums like this.If you go back to my post you will see whr I mentioned the two main purpose of TB.You can belong to the group that don't believe that Dan refinery when it comes alive it will make a difference,I do strongly believe it will.You just turned to be a man.Why didn't you dispute moons ago in my old post as you are cid in digging up old post
Finally your type have nothing to show me when it comes to accomplishment because an Abusite is ahead of naturally.My post has been on TB and the economy general.You can continue looking for loopholes in my comments as you can't find old post to place me.I can't be poor by his grace.I am on this investment threads to see how to create generational wealth as my late old man was millionaire if we use present parameter.You know what it is to buy 505 @11 k early 80.This is not supposed to be here but I know you are trying very hard to dig up old post to profile me.In the days of SMN my best individual was nosa because he no send you massage.How old are you slay queen?

Na wa o undecided

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 4:46pm On Mar 24, 2021
Biafran4life:

So you follow us dey SMN?. Where Nosa dey self. The guy was very blunt and take no prisoners for people that are lazy. There was this other guy that was in Scotland that i have forgotten his name. Oga Emma aka Baba Landlord was a guru on SMN with the likes of Waaaannn$$$$ and Wanaj0.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 24, 2021
NL1960:

So you follow us dey SMN?. Where Nosa dey self. The guy was very blunt and take no prisoners for people that are lazy. There was this other guy that was in Scotland that i have forgotten his name. Oga Emma aka Baba Landlord was a guru on SMN with the likes of Waaaannn$$$$ and Wanaj0.
He comments sometimes on stock trade.Person wan claim investment professional,watin oga Emma (human encyclopedia),Ogg, waaann$$$ ,wanajo and others.She thinks people who are here are hungry and looking for thr first tens of million.I have been in stock purchase far back ,2001.I had a vendor who always bring stock watch early 2000 before 2008 crash.Then all I wanted was I place to put cash other than bank.Participated in many ipo and private placement. One small girl will come here and be acting James bond because it is TB thread Make she go try am for stock thread as she claims professional.I see the rubbish she agreed that most people here are people of questionable or criminal character.I kept quiet because it is not so in stock thread .Is not really her fault because what is TB all about beside you go in at a particular interest rate, collect interest up front, reinvest if you want and go to sleep

Just like I advised a young man whose bro is in the fast lane in SA when the bro sent him 30M to keep because he was coming home in a year plus for building purpose.And he wanted to make something out of it .I took him to FBN and he got 15% for 364 days.The young man has not stopped thanking me because the amount he got and the upfront thing.He channelled iit nto his new biz which the bro gave him #5m to start too.He keep thanking because he has never hard of it and how easy it went through being a graduate.You see why she can support rubbish about the thread

16 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 8:00pm On Mar 24, 2021
afroxyz:

Abeg leave that business day article. the metric they used is car registration. What about people who brought in cars and it was trapped in the ports due to the pandemic? Definetely they clear the cars and register there would be an upsurge.

In data analysis, there is a huge difference between correlation and causation. What data do you have to back up your own claims? In the absence of any, the veracity of the article remains unquestionable.

To be frank, most of my circle have made significantly more just by investing in U.S stocks this year. Even locally, take a look at the financials of companies in the NSE. Based on these primary data, there is a huge possibility that more money was made during the pandemic.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 8:03pm On Mar 24, 2021
Also remittance increased from $17.5bn in 2019 to $24bn in 2020.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by QuinModah(f): 8:58pm On Mar 24, 2021
afroxyz:

You are absolutely right. Background check is necessary. But the part that got me cracking was that the person's wife has to be working. grin

On a serious note, when some think of nigerians and their attitude, they just prefer to invest than bring money inro real economy
It's not easy at all at all.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:06pm On Mar 24, 2021
Biafran4life:
He comments sometimes on stock trade.Person wan claim investment professional,watin oga Emma (human encyclopedia),Ogg, waaann$$$ ,wanajo and others.She thinks people who are here are hungry and looking for thr first tens of million.I have been in stock purchase far back ,2001.I had a vendor who always bring stock watch early 2000 before 2008 crash.Then all I wanted was I place to put cash other than bank.Participated in many ipo and private placement. One small girl will come here and be acting James bond because it is TB thread Make she go try am for stock thread as she claims professional.I see the rubbish she agreed that most people here are people of questionable or criminal character.I kept quiet because it is not so in stock thread .Is not really her fault because what is TB all about beside you go in at a particular interest rate, collect interest up front, reinvest if you want and go to sleep

Just like I advised a young man whose bro is in the fast lane in SA when the bro sent him 30M to keep because he was coming home in a year plus for building purpose.And he wanted to make something out of it .I took him to FBN and he got 15% for 364 days.The young man has not stopped thanking me because the amount he got and the upfront thing.He channelled iit nto his new biz which the bro gave him #5m to start too.He keep thanking because he has never hard of it and how easy it went through being a graduate.You see why she can support rubbish about the thread

From the way you write and reason, you are clearly not very bright. You sure say you go school so? You are a good example of why our schools should be revamped. Look at the kind of graduate a school produced undecided. I can’t even make sense of the gibberish he writes. Senseless!

You so desperately want me to be a woman because women are easy targets for weak small dyk men like you to insult. You better go and work on your self esteem issues before they completely consume you.

Meanwhile, I notice say your body just dey shake since I talk investment professional. As in kini big deal na? Bro that’s some serious inferiority complex you are suffering from. Try and work on your self confidence man. I’m not surprised sha. Illiterates always envy well educated professionals for obvious reasons wink

Na the likes wey Sholapey and her monikers dey give you dey ginger you? Continue to exhibit your illiteracy and stupidity na grin

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 24, 2021
Frustrated monkey hunters on this thread are not smiling o grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hamachi(f): 9:16pm On Mar 24, 2021
As regards REITS, if you have a quarter of a million and below it's not a bad idea to Invest in them.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Brainbox0806: 12:16am On Mar 25, 2021
This e.diot will mess up the thread with abusive memes like a toddler desperately looking for free candies. Your Bipolar is so strong, you need help ASAP .

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 6:35am On Mar 25, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

In data analysis, there is a huge difference between correlation and causation. What data do you have to back up your own claims? In the absence of any, the veracity of the article remains unquestionable.

To be frank, most of my circle have made significantly more just by investing in U.S stocks this year. Even locally, take a look at the financials of companies in the NSE. Based on these primary data, there is a huge possibility that more money was made during the pandemic.

What is the relationship between number of cars registered/sold in lagos a particular period and US stocks for christ sake? undecided the metric they used is what i'm questioning. People buy cars and keep them to be registered later. Nigerians lost N171bn in MBA forex. Did more nigerians invest in US stocks than in MBA forex?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 7:06am On Mar 25, 2021
You obviously don't have an idea about data collection and analysis. You claimed that the metric used to measure the number of cars purchased was registration and it surged because cars that were bought before the pandemic weren't registered.

My question is what data do you have to back up your own claims? At least, that way we can deduct that number from what Business Day had recorded.

My examples of remittance and stocks is to show you that even on personal basis, people made more money. The original car data was a response to someone here talking about how people made more money during the pandemic. So adding more data points totally makes sense.

Data literacy is always a bigger issue than data accuracy sha. So I'm considerate with you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36am On Mar 25, 2021
afroxyz:

What is the relationship between number of cars registered/sold in lagos a particular period and US stocks for christ sake? undecided the metric they used is what i'm questioning. People buy cars and keep them to be registered later. Nigerians lost N171bn in MBA forex. Did more nigerians invest in US stocks than in MBA forex?

Is it possible that it was the MBA forex gainers that went out to buy those cars? grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47am On Mar 25, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
You obviously don't have an idea about data collection and analysis. You claimed that the metric used to measure the number of cars purchased was registration and it surged because cars that were bought before the pandemic weren't registered.

My question is what data do you have to back up your own claims? At least, that way we can deduct that number from what Business Day had recorded.

My examples of remittance and stocks is to show you that even on personal basis, people made more money. The original car data was a response to someone here talking about how people made more money during the pandemic. So adding more data points totally makes sense.

Data literacy is always a bigger issue than data accuracy sha. So I'm considerate with you.

Last year was rough for the average Nigerian o. People lost jobs, salaries were slashed and those lucky to maintain their salaries were cautious with their spending. Nobody knows when the pandemic will end so you can’t just go out and be blowing money anyhow. Don’t even forget the Naira devaluation. So it is kinda hard to imagine that lots of cash was spent on buying cars of all things when people are just trying to survive.

Then to think that when people and Tokunbo car dealers are buying used cars, they typically will import from North America. Last year, North America was mainly on lockdown and ports were mainly not operating at normal capacity, so it is hard to think that cars were shipping at a high rate last year o.

The average Nigerian may have made gains last year from the short bull market run but how many do you think make enough money to buy cars? The average retail investor in Naija invests coins. Yes I said it. Coins. The average person has much less than a thousand dollars in the stock market. So how much gains will they make to buy cars?

Please let’s not talk about US stocks. How much do you think the average Nigerian is investing in US stocks? Around 100 dollars. So go figure.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 25, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

The only rational explanation to justify the claim that more cars were registered is that many cars that were bought pre-pandemic were registered during the pandemic.

Or maybe MBA forex owners and gainers went out and bought all the car inventories at car dealerships or from people that had to sell their cars to raise money due to owu wey blow for Naija last year grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 25, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

The only rational explanation to justify the claim that more cars were registered is that many cars that were bought pre-pandemic were registered during the pandemic.

Or maybe MBA forex owners and gainers went out and bought all the car inventories at car dealerships or from people that had to sell their cars to raise money due to owu wey blow for Naija last year grin

I'm also looking at our Internet fraudsters, 2020 was a good year for most of them.

Also, the prices of vehicles was really on the decline early to mid last year so vehicles were more affordable. A friend bought a full option RX 330 with good mileage below 3m. As of now, you'll struggle to get it below 4m.

Another thing I can think of is, Bolt expanded operations to other cities so many bought cars to invest.

Considering the current exchange rate and the ridiculous prices vehicles are being sold, I expect car sales to tank this year.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:04am On Mar 25, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Last year was rough for the average Nigerian o. People lost jobs, salaries were slashed and those lucky to maintain their salaries were cautious with their spending. Nobody knows when the pandemic will end so you can’t just go out and be blowing money anyhow. Don’t even forget the Naira devaluation. So it is kinda hard to imagine that lots of cash was spent on buying cars of all things when people are just trying to survive.

Then to think that when people and Tokunbo car dealers are buying used cars, they typically will import from North America. Last year, North America was mainly on lockdown and ports were mainly not operating at normal capacity, so it is hard to think that cars were shipping at a high rate last year o.

The average Nigerian may have made gains last year from the short bull market run but how many do you think make enough money to buy cars? The average retail investor in Naija invests coins. Yes I said it. Coins. The average person has much less than a thousand dollars in the stock market. So how much gains will they make to buy cars?

Please let’s not talk about US stocks. How much do you think the average Nigerian is investing in US stocks? Around 100 dollars. So go figure.

Less than a thousand dollar in stock keh, maybe those who started the business about a year ago or speculators.

Investors are getting more than a thousand dollar as dividends from just one stock. The big Stockbroking firms in Nigeria need a minimum of $10,000 to open a Stockbroking account

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 25, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Less than a thousand dollar in stock keh, maybe those who started the business about a year ago or speculators.

Investors are getting more than a thousand dollar as dividends from just one stock. The big Stockbroking firms in Nigeria need a minimum of $10,000 to open a Stockbroking account

I said average Nigerian retail investor o. You are not the average Nigerian investor na grin

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:09am On Mar 25, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

You are not making any point. You can't use only car registration to ascertain the number of cars SOLD in a period. They did not go to JIJI, Cars 45 or even agents that bring in cars. Or dont you know of people that buy cars and just cover them with trampoline?

How is it possible to bring in and sell more cars when the global supply chain was shut down due to the pandemic? Even Amazon could not meet up with orders. Currently there is even a scarcity of containers because the supply chain has been stretched.

So for the fact that there was remmittance and people made more money in the pandemic (according to you), means they would buy more cars? A consumer discretionary good in a period of recession and high umployment? This is a spill over effect from 2019.

When did they make this 'more money' that it was enough to offset the volume of the previous years? Is it in June at the height of the pandemic? Or in december, a month to the end of the year?

Just because it is data does not mean it is representative. As a self-professed data analyst, you should know that when you present data the first thing you would be asked are your scales of measurement. Which is what i have problem with as regards the article.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:16am On Mar 25, 2021
Biafran4life:
One of the purpose of TB is to reduce the money in circulation.To check mate banks from unwarranted loans and politicians on spending madness they will have to increase TB not to create artificial inflation. TB is also for Short time borrowing of government not really an indicator to say the economy is doing well
Thats why i was asking. But you have exp2lined in your subsequent post regading the upcoming elections
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:17am On Mar 25, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

I said average Nigerian retail investor o. You are not the average Nigerian investor na grin

4 million Nigerians are playing the stock market with a capitalisation of about N20 Trillion. That should give an average of N4 million.

Assuming the Dangotes, Ovia, Otudeko and other other High Network Nigerians own 80% of this N20 Trillion .

We have N4 Trillion for the very average Nigerians

They will still have an average of N1 million, most workers have more than 503 of their networth in their Retirement Savings Account which are also invested in fixed income securities and the stockmarket.

Please note stockmarket speculators hardly build substantial wealth through the market, so I will agree with you that such people have less than $1000
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 25, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

4 million Nigerians are playing the stock market with a capitalisation of about N20 Trillion. That should give an average of N4 million.

Assuming the Dangotes, Ovia, Otudeko and other other High Network Nigerians own 80% of this N20 Trillion .

We have N4 Trillion for the very average Nigerians

They will still have an average of N1 million, most workers have more than 503 of their networth in their Retirement Savings Account which are also invested in fixed income securities and the stockmarket.

Please note stockmarket speculators hardly build substantial wealth through the market, so I will agree with you that such people have less than $1000

The average Nigerian retail investor is the guy that takes his disposable income to invest directly in the stock market. This obviously does not include the amount held by the pension funds on their behalf. Can you cash out your holdings in the pension funds?

Unfortunately, the bulk of retail investors that joined the market last year are not long term investors. Just people looking for where to park their money and make gains until Tbill rates pick up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1816) (1817) (1818) (1819) (1820) (1821) (1822) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Awesomemama, okenzo22, Itsrm(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.