Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,996 members, 7,828,515 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1916) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4457398 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1913) (1914) (1915) (1916) (1917) (1918) (1919) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 2:20pm On Jun 03, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Chairman, why you lock up na? Why not engage tobex on US stocks na? Let us learn from the discussion na.

Abi you wan dey collect your millions in profit alone the same way you chopped your million dollar profit with Bitc0ins? grin

K

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 03, 2021
9jatriot:
On this particular one, I admit I did contribute a lot in drawing him out.

For a person who profiles people, I confess that I was deeply worried when he played one of his old tricks on Emma. He did same with Sholapey, biafraguy..., Ogogo... and many others. Very similar pattern of gathering info and then striking when you least expect.

No be only ogogo. Na dagogo.

All this while you really think I didn’t know you were ogogoro freak the audio bitc0ins billionaire? I just dey look you dey smile. Continue hiding to taunt na. Make una just continue grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 03, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
The dividend yield is 0.014 but you're taxed 30% if you are not a U.S resident.

The beauty of VOO is that while it's a no-brainer for new investors, even experienced investors that do not want to deal with the stress of following up many individual companies can cop it.

I agree that index funds (or ETFs that track indexes) is the way to go if you don’t like wahala. But how do you buy VOO from Nigeria? Vanguard does not let non-residents purchase their funds.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 03, 2021
My people finally back to town.Villa was fun though owerri was hot but it was for a right purpose.
No one has Monopoly of violence.The massage has been delivered to the government.
Has the TB gotten to two digits as we are almost through with last year dividend except for few like uacn. Abi now cyrto gambling we go enter for the main time.Or the ones praying for dollars to enter Ik to a dollar.The enemies of the nation.We need to keep our money working for us.Abeg I no follow for the billionaires in naira or dollars, believing God to get thr someday

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

You are expected to get approval before selling Investment products to the public.

I guess people wrote SEC for clarification

SEC will try to protect them, they will complain. SEC leaves them to go ahead and lose their life savings, they will still blame SEC for not protecting them. What do Nigerians want?

I’m just feeling sorry for those that will lose their money when one of those guys crashes. The clock is ticking.....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 11:40am On Jun 04, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

SEC will try to protect them, they will complain. SEC leaves them to go ahead and lose their life savings, they will still blame SEC for not protecting them. What do Nigerians want?

I’m just feeling sorry for those that will lose their money when one of those guys crashes. The clock is ticking.....
its called entitlement mentality

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:40pm On Jun 04, 2021
maishai:
its called entitlement mentality

Victim mentality

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phyde: 6:42pm On Jun 04, 2021
Should we be expecting another Sukuk payment this June 16

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 04, 2021
Access offered around 5% for 182 days T bills.

The Branch manager was pleading that we do fixed deposit at 3.5 % that she had fixed deposit targets to meet. Isn't that laughable?

Please assuming we had 50 million, what's the best way of doing T bills with it?

By bidding directly through banks or firms? If yes, which bank or firm is the best?

Or buying secondary market from banks, if yes, which bank is the best?.

Cc
Emmanuelewumi.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odaniel1(m): 9:16pm On Jun 04, 2021
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 9:32pm On Jun 04, 2021
Phyde:
Should we be expecting another Sukuk payment this June 16
sure
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 2:46pm On Jun 05, 2021
Once again dollarize your networth out of the reach of this wicked administration. It may be hard to do, but so will it be hard to see all your value wiped away.

This can be done in either of these ways:

1. Legally get out of Nigeria
2. Open off shore USD accounts
3. Use stable coins

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 2:51pm On Jun 05, 2021
Forget old men telling you that naira is safe. They have lesser number of years to live so even if dollar hits 1200 naira, they are not necessarily affected.

But if you're in your 20's, you have more capital projects to run in the course of your lifetime. Also you would probably witness more devaluations than these old men. I used to day 60-40 before. But now convert 80% of your money to USD. It may be stressful but it would be worth it.

A country that relies only on oil, disrespects the rule of law, unattractive to investors, has security/kidnapping problems, governed by clueless mofos, has a growing unemployment population can never have a strong currency in the next years to come.

So the risk is on naira, mark this tweet and check it by 2050.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 2:53pm On Jun 05, 2021
And I'm sure they will all come to tell you that USD investment don't give high returns. We have already talked about this several times. There are decent instruments that will give you 6-10% annually on USD.

You have no business investing in naira denominated instruments that give you less than 35% annually. Inflation is already 18%.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
And I'm sure they will all come to tell you that USD investment don't give high returns. We have already talked about this several times. There are decent instruments that will give you 6-10% annually on USD.

You have no business investing in naira denominated instruments that give you less than 35% annually. Inflation is already 18%.

And If you are talking about equity investments, nothing is guaranteed. The US equities market is doing well now because of all the stimulus cash that people are pouring in. Many people believe there will be a correction after Covid. And nobody knows how long it will take the market to pick up after that. I’m not saying people can’t make money there o. But people need to know how volatile the market is. Enter at the wrong time and watch your life savings evaporate.

By the way, you never responded to my question. How are you able to buy VOO from Naija. Just curious as Vanguard does not sell to non-residents.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
Forget old men telling you that naira is safe. They have lesser number of years to live so even if dollar hits 1200 naira, they are not necessarily affected.

But if you're in your 20's, you have more capital projects to run in the course of your lifetime. Also you would probably witness more devaluations than these old men. I used to day 60-40 before. But now convert 80% of your money to USD. It may be stressful but it would be worth it.

A country that relies only on oil, disrespects the rule of law, unattractive to investors, has security/kidnapping problems, governed by clueless mofos, has a growing unemployment population can never have a strong currency in the next years to come.

I don’t quite agree with the bolded. The old men you are referring to have their life savings, retirement funds and children’s school fees in Naira. They are the ones suffering more from HBP and stroke that comes with the stress of making sure their kids future is secure when they are gone. The guy in his 20s has very little to lose (and very little money to invest) so of course they can afford to take risks.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

This one follow for post.You have right to your opinion
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 4:07pm On Jun 05, 2021
I agree that corruption is an age long issue.

But it's also impossible to conclude that Atiku would have banned Twitter. This was someone that was the V.P under the administration that has arguably been the best economic team we have ever had.

Even Jonathan that people carried his coffins at Ojota did not react to protesters the way this clueless mofo is.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 4:13pm On Jun 05, 2021
The other day Twitter assessed that Nigeria was not a good place to have an African HQ despite Nigerians being the most users from Africa.

Their reason was simple: Ghana supports free speech and open freedom.

Guess what? 2 months after, they were absolutely right.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 4:21pm On Jun 05, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

I don’t quite agree with the bolded. The old men you are referring to have their life savings, retirement funds and children’s school fees in Naira. They are the ones suffering more from HBP and stroke that comes with the stress of making sure their kids future is secure when they are gone. The guy in his 20s has very little to lose (and very little money to invest) so of course they can afford to take risks.

I may be wrong but I don't think an investor that has lesser years to live will be more concerned about devaluation because of their kids future than a young person whose present is obviously more affected.

And i don't know what we mean by risks in investing in USD. Especially at a time when the safest naira investments aren't even offering any interest close to inflation rate.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 5:30pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

I may be wrong but I don't think an investor that has lesser years to live will be more concerned about devaluation because of their kids future than a young person whose present is obviously more affected.

And i don't know what we mean by risks in investing in USD. Especially at a time when the safest naira investments aren't even offering any interest close to inflation rate.
I wonder why people think this too when the biggest risk is investing in Naira cos the interest you get is actually a loss in disguise. Naira has been on a free fall for many years, it's still falling and would still fall.

Anyone who thinks things would change for the better in the nearest future must be living in a fools paradise.

This paper is almost 40yrs old.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 5:36pm On Jun 05, 2021
What guarantee usd investment one can invest in
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

So far, Nigeria has followed the currency crises in Lebanon toe to toe with CBN copying every step they made. Earlier this year, we had our 3rd devaluation when CBN started giving folks extra naira for every dollar sent back. That was a red flag abd the point when I knew the devaluation might get really worse down the road. Now, we have the 4th devaluation already... CBN has been waiting for dangote refinery which I don't think will help as he has dollar denominated loans to offset. Next step by CBN would be to ban domiciliary accounts or force withdrawals at their rate...

Sometimes, when I look at the issues playing out in Nigeria, I begin to ask myself, what is wrong with us...
Same issue playing out with petrol subsidy and dollar subsidy which are the biggest problems with our economy now. With petrol subsidy, we're enriching a few and supplying the whole of West Africa subsidized petrol in the name of subsidy... With dollar subsidy, we're also enriching a few and perpetuating the continued devaluation of the naira....

Whoever knows Emiefele should explain to him basic maths- since the origin of the naira, nothing has guaranteed the continued devaluation of the naira as having two exchange rates..... This time will not be different

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 5:56pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

It's not even about looking for USD denominated investments...
I always look at trends for over a long period before choosing where to invest...

Someone who kept 1000 usd at 120,000 naira 11 years ago would today have 500,000 naira. What other naira denominated investment can match that?Which local and 'safe' investment has kept up with the dollar over the past 4 years?..

Although this may not sound patriotic, fact is that by simply holding the dollar, you are very likely to outperform those invested in a local asset be it bonds, TB's, stocks e.t.c.... Whenever, Emiefele decides to stop his majic, one can convert back and look for where to invest.

At the early days of the devaluation, most foreign investors were rushing to leave at black market rates... I initially thought they were panicking unnecessarily.... They must have seen the endless quagmire the CBN was plunging itself into.......

They've been trying every trick left (e.g closing borders, dashing folks naira, banning crypt0 e.t.c) to no avail without addressing the main issue... Their next target should be domiciliary accounts

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fuhrerfran6(m): 6:16pm On Jun 05, 2021
jedisco:

It's not even about looking for USD denominated investments...
I always look at trends for over a long period before choosing where to invest...

Someone who kept 1000 usd at 120,000 naira 11 years ago would today have 500,000 naira. What other naira denominated investment can match that?Which local and 'safe' investment has kept up with the dollar over the past 4 years?..

Although this may not sound patriotic, fact is that by simply holding the dollar, you are very likely to outperform those invested in a local asset be it bonds, TB's, stocks e.t.c.... Whenever, Emiefele decides to stop his majic, one can convert back and look for where to invest.

At the early days of the devaluation, most foreign investors were rushing to leave at black market rates... I initially thought they were panicking unnecessarily.... They must have seen the endless quagmire the CBN was plunging itself into.......

They've been trying every trick left (e.g closing borders, dashing folks naira, banning crypt0 e.t.c) to no avail without addressing the main issue... Their next target should be domiciliary accounts

Please, what can the CBN possibly do to domiciliary accounts? I want to know please so I can take caution.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fuhrerfran6(m): 6:23pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
Once again dollarize your networth out of the reach of this wicked administration. It may be hard to do, but so will it be hard to see all your value wiped away.

3. Use stable coins

How can one open an offshore account? Any heads-up?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:23pm On Jun 05, 2021
Fuhrerfran6:

Please, what can the CBN possibly do to domiciliary accounts? I want to know please so I can take caution.
The worst they can do is stop domiciliary accounts and pay you in the current bank rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 6:32pm On Jun 05, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
The worst they can do is stop domiciliary accounts and pay you in the current bank rate

This has happened severally and nothing happened...

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 05, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

3. Use stable coins

These are not realistic solutions for the common man na.

1. How many people can afford to get out of Nigeria?

2. How many people can open offshore accounts?

3. Wetin concern common man and stable coins? grin

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 05, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
I wonder why people think this too when the biggest risk is investing in Naira cos the interest you get is actually a loss in disguise. Naira has been on a free fall for many years, it's still falling and would still fall.

Anyone who thinks things would change for the better in the nearest future must be living in a fools paradise.

This paper is about 40yrs old.

40 years
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 6:53pm On Jun 05, 2021
A common man obviously does not need to run capital projects.
A common man isn't saving for his kids future as him sef never chop.

A common man obviously needs to first look for ways to be an high income earner by upskilling himself in current work, entering a new career line, starting a scalable business, or even moving to new locations with better opportunities.

Most of the advise here are not targeted to the common man. You need to have tangible discretionary income before considering these kinds of investments.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1913) (1914) (1915) (1916) (1917) (1918) (1919) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Rizin, Ogelite, Chikebrain and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.