Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,403 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1945) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4440478 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) (1946) (1947) (1948) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:35pm On Jun 25, 2021
Sniper4real:

That ended with degree I've got. And took this on my own, hoping for the best

Go and get a job or acquire a functional skill.

A lot of smart graduated used their NYSC allawee to start a business and they are now millionaires.

Wasting another 2 years to acquire a paper, whose functionality and income generating ability is also zero is not the right thing to do.

This is an investment thread, assuming while serving you asked on how to save and invest 500k after your NYSC, I would have given my own insights

17 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Emmydude(m): 11:42pm On Jun 25, 2021
Gurus in the house, I need insight please. If one buys a bond of #10M now, what will be the value in 5yrs assuming one compounds?
I prefer this to TBills.
Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:56pm On Jun 25, 2021
Emmydude:
Gurus in the house, I need insight please. If one buys a bond of #10M now, what will be the value in 5yrs assuming one compounds?
I prefer this to TBills.
Thanks.
Depends on the rate you get. Without that, no one can calculate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Frenchkiss564: 9:17am On Jun 26, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Cant you see how the marketers of the investment houses on this thread jump and pass? Your 500k cannot help their ministry. Write am again say you get 5m or 10m and see them all begging you to come and keep your money with them grin

On a serious note sha, just go your bank and do fixed deposit or buy secondary market t bills if your bank will let you do with that amount. Or try one of those investment houses wey dey guarantee capital if they will accept your 500k.

Thank you so much and God bless. cool

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:21am On Jun 26, 2021
I recall there was an argument here not too long ago about the justification for the increase in the reported number of imported cars for the year 2020 when numbers were expected to be low considering it was a pandemic year.

Well, while going through a thread on yahoo yahoo guys, someone made the comment below which to me seems reasonable enough.

yahoo paid big this year because of covid. Benefit is for those who lost their jobs, unemployed or have their business collapsed .
We also have SBA loan paying up to $40k which some got but some people never got theirs approved
Everyone knows this and now that people are getting back to work in usa, benefit is harder this year than last year 2020 and thats why more people bought cars in Lagos in 2020 than 2021

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Frenchkiss564: 9:22am On Jun 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Do you have a job or a business?

If you don't have a job, think of a business you can use the money for or pay for a course that can increase your earning ability.

500k is small for a passive income, you need to create active income through a job, trading or business.

The fund can't give you more than a steady monthly return of 5k

Thank you so much for your premium advice.

Yes, i have a job that guarantees steady income albeit on the low side.

The 500k is my savings, i guess i will try and buy T-bills.

May i ask what your take on foreign stocks through chaka, trove and other allied app is,

I am very grateful.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Wapgod(m): 10:17am On Jun 26, 2021
Is CAVERTON Offshore support Group a good stock to buy and hold for long term?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:48am On Jun 26, 2021
Frenchkiss564:

Thank you so much for your premium advice.

Yes, i have a job that guarantees steady income albeit on the low side.

The 500k is my savings, i guess i will try and buy T-bills.

May i ask what your take on foreign stocks through chaka, trove and other allied app is,

I am very grateful.

You are doing well
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Get 100k ouy of your savings and pay your school fees, instead of begging on an Investment thread

This is not the beggy beggy guy. This is the guy that was asking how to invest his 500k grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 26, 2021
ojesymsym:
I recall there was an argument here not too long ago about the justification for the increase in the reported number of imported cars for the year 2020 when numbers were expected to be low considering it was a pandemic year.

Well, while going through a thread on yahoo yahoo guys, someone made the comment below which to me seems reasonable enough.

Makes sense
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 26, 2021
Emmydude:
I prefer this to TBills.
Thanks.

Last week, March 2027 bonds were issued at a marginal rate of 12.74%. You can use this rate (or say 12.5%) to get a rough estimate...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 26, 2021
ukay2:

Your not cheated at all

The bond is ok

Just target at discount prices next time to help you buy at discount price, like buying 1.5M bond for 1.4M...

...you get better the more you invest

Some investors may have bought at higher premium prices like 150 in the early days of their bond investments...

Keep learning as you invest....

As per bolded, it’s not up to the investor at all. It all depends on what the current market pricing is. If current interest rates are high, then bonds with lower coupons will sell at a discount in order for a buyer to get yields where the current interest rates are. Otherwise, why would anyone buy that bond?

If you divide your coupon by the amount you pay for a discounted bond and compare to current interest rates, you will realize that you didn’t make any gain by buying a discounted bond...

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:30am On Jun 26, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

This is not the beggy beggy guy. This is the guy that was asking how to invest his 500k grin

I am sorry, I will modify my comment
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 26, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
Not bad

When your papa and mama na big dawgs, you can get anything done in Naija lipsrsealed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 1:10pm On Jun 26, 2021
do u mean to say @ premium may b better?
Lazyyouth4u:

As per bolded, it’s not up to the investor at all. It all depends on what the current market pricing is. If current interest rates are high, then bonds with lower coupons will sell at a discount in order for a buyer to get yields where the current interest rates are.

If you divide your coupon by the amount you pay for it and compare to current interest rates, you will realize that you didn’t make any gain by buying a discounted bond...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 1:13pm On Jun 26, 2021
Will they accept his 10M, I thought it is usually 50M minimum?
Lazyyouth4u:

Last week, March 2027 bonds were issued at a marginal rate of 12.74%. You can use this rate (or say 12.5%) to get a rough estimate...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 26, 2021
ojesymsym:
Will they accept his 10M, I thought it is usually 50M minimum?

Secondary market...

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 26, 2021
Akerewe:
do u mean to say @ premium may b better?

Whether you buy at premium, par or discount , just try to get the highest ‘yield’ possible (note I didn’t say ‘coupon’)

Yield = coupon divided by the amount you paid for the bond

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bjtinz: 2:59pm On Jun 26, 2021
NL1960:

If you do not want to tie down your money for long, then go for the likes of MBA forex and other ponzi schemes. They have short tenors and high rewards. Note that high reward equates to high risk. cool

Abeg oo. I'm not after high returns. After all, I have sizable cash in mutual funds whose rates are far lower than the coupons.

Just not a fan of keeping funds tied down for prolonged periods.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bjtinz: 3:01pm On Jun 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

You don't have to hold till maturity, they are highly liquid so you can easily sell. Hundreds of billions of Naira worth are traded from Monday to Friday

Hmm. I see. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Whether you buy at premium, par or discount , just try to get the highest ‘yield’ possible (note I didn’t say ‘coupon’)

You are quite informed on how these things work.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 3:52pm On Jun 26, 2021
anyhow anyhow i think rate are still better either premium, discount or par currently compare to the last sukuk of 11.2%. like u said the yield make sense on the long run.
Lazyyouth4u:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 5:36pm On Jun 26, 2021
Correct and on point. wink cool
Lazyyouth4u:

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by prittygift114: 6:14pm On Jun 26, 2021
Hi everyone, my question might be funny but i honestly need an answer to it.

I did a forextrading with 1000usd in the year 2011. But i actually lost access to my account up till now.

Does forex trade still in existence and how can i recover my account.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:19pm On Jun 26, 2021
prittygift114:
Hi everyone, my question might be funny but i honestly need an answer to it.

I did a forextrading with 1000usd in the year 2011. But i actually lost access to my account up till now.

Does forex trade still in existence and how can i recover my account.
What forex platform is that and how did you loss access to your account?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PresidentBuhari: 6:21pm On Jun 26, 2021
Could anyone help calculate this.
I bought FGN Bond with a coupon of 16.39%.
The capital was N1,850,000 with bi-annual coupon payments of N132,000.

I was informed the capital to be received at the end of the tenure is N1,585,000.

Is this normal or an expensive bond?
emmanuelewumi:

You are doing well

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 6:57pm On Jun 26, 2021
With a coupon of 16.39%, then it is most likely your bought the FGN bond maturing on 27 January 2022. Therefore you bought above par and the capital you state below of N1.85m includes includes accrued interest to the date you made your purchase so it is perfectly normal. Kindly note that you get the accrued interest back at the first semi-annual date of the bond following your purchase which would be next month. Finally, it is not expensive since the yield of about 7.4% if bought recently perfectly reflects the short duration to maturity of about 7 months.

PresidentBuhari:

I was informed the capital to be received at the end of the tenure is N1,585,000.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Thisnut(m): 8:17pm On Jun 26, 2021
Sniper4real:

Please bosses in the house. I'm presently doing my MSC program in UI and exams is knocking at the door. But the problem I have currently is that, I'm yet to pay for the sch fees which is #141400.

Please, I'm pleading to you guys. In anyway you can be of help to me. Please help me with any little amount you can. Please, please.

God bless you as I anticipate your benevolence.
first degree is a necessity, while second degree is a luxury. You you are supposed to use the profit from the first business to diversify to start up a second business. The way you sound now, you might as well beg to acquire a PhD degree.

If you are doing a business and you are not making anything of it, that is a real concern and reevaluation is needed. You don't just keep pumping more money into a business that is becoming a liability. Yes, school is a business

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by akinola98: 9:48pm On Jun 26, 2021
PresidentBuhari:

This coupon rate is definitely high for this period… likely a secondary bond I believe…. Pls what broker did u purchase from ??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sniper4real(m): 10:52pm On Jun 26, 2021
Thisnut:
first degree is a necessity, while second degree is a luxury. You you are supposed to use the profit from the first business to diversify to start up a second business. The way you sound now, you might as well beg to acquire a PhD degree.

If you are doing a business and you are not making anything of it, that is a real concern and reevaluation is needed. You don't just keep pumping more money into a business that is becoming a liability. Yes, school is a business

Alright boss. If you want to get a car or you know anybody that wants to buy car. Halla. Please
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:18am On Jun 27, 2021
PresidentBuhari:

Your annual coupon is N264,000, that is a yield of about 16%..

Did you buy through a Stockbroker or a bank?

You bought at a slight premium?

I need to see the contract note after the transaction in order to answer your question correctly
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:21am On Jun 27, 2021
skydiver01:
With a coupon of 16.39%, then it is most likely your bought the FGN bond maturing on 27 January 2022. Therefore you bought above par and the capital you state below of N1.85m includes includes accrued interest to the date you made your purchase so it is perfectly normal. Kindly note that you get the accrued interest back at the first semi-annual date of the bond following your purchase which would be next month. Finally, it is not expensive since the yield of about 7.4% if bought recently perfectly reflects the short duration to maturity of about 7 months.

He said bi-annual coupon and not annual coupon.

Meaning he will get the stated coupon twice in a year

(1) (2) (3) ... (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) (1946) (1947) (1948) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.