Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,313 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1969) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4446616 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1966) (1967) (1968) (1969) (1970) (1971) (1972) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:29am On Jul 26, 2021
LagosNissan:

I have tbills with access and gtb.
But tbills were purchased from personal savings account.

Stanbic IBTC can give you a short term loan which is 12 months, that is equivalent to 80% of the value of mutual funds with them

If you have N5 million worry of mutual funds you can get maximum loan of N4 million from the bank

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LagosNissan: 7:20am On Jul 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Stanbic IBTC can give you a short term loan which is 12 months, that is equivalent to 80% of the value of mutual funds with them

If you have N5 million worry of mutual funds you can get maximum loan of N4 million from the bank

Thanks, I wonder what the interest rate would be like and if it would not be better to liquidate and use my funds then.

Imagine having 5m at tbills at 8% and then borrowing 4m at 12%, would it not be better to liquidate and use the money?

Again, is it not possible to borrow without collateral?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 7:42am On Jul 26, 2021
ultron12345:

1000 cows is even small.

There's a dairy company called Almarai in Saudi Arabia. They milk over 22 litres per day each cow, and they have 94,000 cows. They produce 1 billion litres of milk annually. They process this milk into different products. They have 38,000 staff, do $3.9B in revenue annually, with market cap of $13.1B (that is packaged Fulani herdsmen company = dangote cement x 2, or dangote cement + MTN Nigeria)

They do their dairy farming in the Saudi desert. They imported management from Ireland. Imported all their cows (modified breeds). They even had to put AC (air conditioning) in all the farm sheds for all the cattle to protect them from the harsh desert heat which can sometimes reach as high as 45C. Since they can't grow grass to feed the cattle, they bought land in Argentina and the US, grow the grass there then import them to Saudi Arabia to feed the cattle.

All this struggle and stress yet they are able to produce products that in terms of price are competitive in the international market, hence they also export to other countries. If it's Nigerians, they'll come up with 1000 reasons why it can never work and blame the government. Nigerians will be waiting for Dangote or indians/lebanese/chinese. If Dangote does it finally, they'll say it's monopoly. If it's Lebanese or Indian, theyll say it's money laundering.

Fonterra, a dairy cooperative owned by 10,500 farmers in New Zealand makes $12B in revenues exporting milk and other dairy products. That's 30% of the world's dairy exports, from tiny New Zealand.

Chiquita is doing $3B in revenue growing ordinary bananas in South America and selling in US. Dole does $4.5B doing same along with ordinary water melon and pineapple.

Ecuador, Philippines, Columbia, Costa Rica, Guatemala make $3.3B, $1.9, $1.6B, $1B and $1B annually from exporting ordinary banana. Ivory Coast and Cameroon get $340M and $250M from the same banana. Nigerians will be blaming government. Thank God banana is not an electricity intensive business. I wonder what excuse will be given for this. It's labour intensive and we have cheap labour, cheap land, conducive tropical climate and a weak currency, yet we can't do anything.

All these are the kind of things we need in this country, this is what will grow our economy, not coding another ride-hailing app or biscuit ordering app.

Even if we want to do tech, we should go for IT outsourcing like India, not to be coding apps that our people are too poor to use. Where we can use our massive university educated and cheap labour resources to provide labour intensive IT services to companies in the developed world. Instead of them playing Americans $60,000 per annum, they'll outsource to Nigerian companies at quarter that price. This is what TCS, Infosys, Tech Mahindra, Wipro and many others do in India. These 4 companies employ 450000 (yes, not 4,500, not 45,000 but 450,000. Four hundred and fifty thousand employees), 242000, 125000, and 175000 people respectively and made $23B, $13B, $5B and $9B in revenues respectively. Over 95% of this revenue is "exports", meaning the money came in foreign currency. And they have over 20 of such companies in India, employing in hundreds of thousands. Imagine we had just one in Nigeria. But no, it's only hotel and filling station we can build. Ordinary call center, we could not do. We had to wait for an Indian company disguised as an "African Company" to come and get BPO contracts from our Telecom companies. That Indian company is employing thousands of Nigerians across several locations today. Only in Ibadan, they have over 2000 staff at their call center. All this while Nigerians blamed the government.

As we talk about making policies for ease of business, we should also ask, making these policies for who? Because it seems Nigerians are not ready to do anything apart from blaming the government.

So sorry to digress oo, back to your post.

I don't like the idea of CBN or government owning enterprises. They should just create policies and try to make things easier. In my opinion, the CBN is really trying, one can get low interest loans through the bank of agriculture and bank of industry. CBN is now the one doing the work of ministry of agriculture.

Even if they must own farms, they should have minority stake of 40% maximum, so that the private shareholders make the decisions. Before some stupid Nigerians enter government and kill the farm by using the management positions to reward their incompetent friends and relatives.

Best post of the year 2021. If you agree, click like

35 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Macktaob(m): 10:21am On Jul 26, 2021
just2endowed:

Best post of the year 2021. If you agree, click like
Funny thing is, all of us would read this through, applaud it, loud how intellectually challenging the write up is but none would think about it again once we exit nairaland, none of us would ponder over it at night and none of us would try to consider where we individually can use the points provided to better the country/state. That, we leaving for the government and imaginary others.

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:22am On Jul 26, 2021
LagosNissan:

Thanks, I wonder what the interest rate would be like and if it would not be better to liquidate and use my funds then.

Imagine having 5m at tbills at 8% and then borrowing 4m at 12%, would it not be better to liquidate and use the money?

Again, is it not possible to borrow without collateral?

If you confident about the venture, you won't mind giving a collateral

You can also sell your investment to fund your business.

Smart Business people prefer having their assets and also getting returns through leverage.

Imagine having N10 million worth of mutual fund at 10%, and you have a business opportunity that can fetch you 15% in 6 months

You can borrow N8 million against your investment at 20%, do the business that will fetch you the 15% or N1.2 million in 6 months.

Payback the bank in 6 months or less, your interest payment will only be 800k. You have made a profit of 400k and you still have your investment of N10 million that will give you a dividend of N1 million in a year

This is just an examples, people make profit of over 25% per annum from business

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LagosNissan: 11:35am On Jul 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

If you confident about the venture, you won't mind giving a collateral

You can also sell your investment to fund your business.

Smart Business people prefer having their assets and also getting returns through leverage.

Imagine having N10 million worth of mutual fund at 10%, and you have a business opportunity that can fetch you 15% in 6 months

You can borrow N8 million against your investment at 20%, do the business that will fetch you the 15% or N1.2 million in 6 months.

Payback the bank in 6 months or less, your interest payment will only be 800k. You have made a profit of 400k and you still have your investment of N10 million that will give you a dividend of N1 million in a year

This is just an examples, people make profit of over 25% per annum from business

Thanks for the input.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 1:51pm On Jul 26, 2021
Long we saw this rate, catch up.

Every required info is on the attachment except you have specifics not touched then you can ask, the ogas will do justice to it

1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by brandable: 2:09pm On Jul 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

There is a book that explain more about this that you recommend about Making money with other people's money.

Please what's the name again.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:30pm On Jul 26, 2021
RayRay06677:

Thanks Chief.

But you can still make it more explicit to the house. The information not complete finish grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 3:19pm On Jul 26, 2021
freeman67:

Thanks Chief.

But you can still make it more explicit to the house. The information not complete finish grin grin grin

Got that from investment house, its a commercial paper which is like Tbills but issued by cooperate organisation to raise fund just like govt do with Tbills. Always having tenor of less than 364 days and minimum of 5m, the rate here is 12.3% for 270 days which is awesome compared to recent history. Last week we had one for 11.56%. Basically commercial papers have been saving men since the slump of Tbills only problem it doesn't have a calendar so always keep cash in view for the kill. Apart from the gamble, I like this brand of investment. Company rating is very important though, I can't speak more on that as I lack basic authorization but I strongly believe that the authorities wouldn't let them float if not with potentials of paying back.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2021
RayRay06677:

Every required info is on the attachment except you have specifics not touched then you can ask, the ogas will do justice to it

I got 13.25% in the last FG bonds auction in the primary market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:46pm On Jul 26, 2021
RayRay06677:

Got that from investment house, its a commercial paper which is like Tbills but issued by cooperate organisation to raise fund just like govt do with Tbills. Always having tenor of less than 364 days and minimum of 5m, the rate here is 12.3% for 270 days which is awesome compared to recent history. Last week we had one for 11.56%. Basically commercial papers have been saving men since the slump of Tbills only problem it doesn't have a calendar so always keep cash in view for the kill. Apart from the gamble, I like this brand of investment. Company rating is very important though, I can't speak more on that as I lack basic authorization but I strongly believe that the authorities wouldn't let them float if not with potentials of paying back.

Commercial paper is not a gamble as such, very few companies can pass the rigour test of SEC before they can issue commercial papers.

MTN, Dangote Cement, Nigeria Brewery, Flour Mills, Lafarge Cement, makers of indomie noodles etc are credit worthy

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2021
RayRay06677:

Thanks, I wanted to more about the issuer and the issuing houses involved to see if there is anyone close enough and open to deal with. I now know it is just Chapel Hill Denham and The Coronation Marchant Bank itself that are handling it. Their rating is not bad. They also seem to be involved in most of the FG Bond and SUKUK these days.

So it's a good one.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 5:10pm On Jul 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Notice was too short For me and I didn't have cscs account, I was busy trying to get cscs account when it elapse but I am happy I have it now for future use so didn't regret it in all. That was a good deal from recent history. Thanks for the guidance. We keep moving no matter how small it is, every Kobo counts.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Commercial paper is not a gamble as such, very few companies can pass the rigour test of SEC before they can issue commercial papers.

MTN, Dangote Cement, Nigeria Brewery, Flour Mills, Lafarge Cement, makers of indomie noodles etc are credit worthy

I always keep taps on commercial papers as there are always higher than tbills. I always prefer bank related papers.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 5:15pm On Jul 26, 2021
freeman67:

Thanks, I wanted to more about the issuer and the issuing houses involved to see if there is anyone close enough and open to deal with. I now know it is just Chapel Hill Denham and The Coronation Marchant Bank itself that are handling it. Their rating is not bad. They also seem to be involved in most of the FG Bond and SUKUK these days.

So it's a good one.

Afrinvest sent to me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tvegas(m): 5:24pm On Jul 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

So you can't say workers are not well paid, most Nigerians are poor and can't afford to pay for premium services, therefore the workers will be poorlowners
Weldone pa Emma, for consistently dishing out sound advice on investing in Nigeria I visited the Agritech page and this page today and I could see the litany of losses made by investors via agritech, some have up to 20mil locked up with these agritech companies who are no longer paying.

I remembered your warning about this investment, fx trading and cryptocurrencies months ago. We even analysed the days of Nospetco,sefteg etc back then to remind people. But It seems this is a recurring cycle in our country, can we Estimate what people have lost to these ventures? Why do our people keep falling for such high risk schemes? Is there more we can do in terms of CSR to sensitise people and get the Government to be more proactive?

Nigeria already have many poor people, it breaks my heart when people are fleeced of their hard earned savings and made poorer.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:05pm On Jul 26, 2021
RayRay06677:

Notice was too short For me and I didn't have cscs account, I was busy trying to get cscs account when it elapse but I am happy I have it now for future use so didn't regret it in all. That was a good deal from recent history. Thanks for the guidance. We keep moving no matter how small it is, every Kobo counts.

The next one is the third Wednesday in August, be prepared

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:08pm On Jul 26, 2021
Tvegas:
Weldone pa Emma, for consistently dishing out sound advice on investing in Nigeria I visited the Agritech page and this page today and I could see the litany of losses made by investors via agritech, some have up to 20mil locked up with these agritech companies who are no longer paying.

I remembered your warning about this investment, fx trading and cryptocurrencies months ago. We even analysed the days of Nospetco,sefteg etc back then to remind people. But It seems this is a recurring cycle in our country, can we Estimate what people have lost to these ventures? Why do our people keep falling for such high risk schemes? Is there more we can do in terms of CSR to sensitise people and get the Government to be more proactive?

Nigeria already have many poor people, it breaks my heart when people are fleeced of their hard earned savings and made poorer.

We keep on sharing our thoughts, eventhough they will call us old school.

People should know that there is no free and easy money anywhere, does not matter if it is from business promoters, pastors, alfas, High Yield Investment Schemes etc.

Slow and steady wins the race

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2021
Tvegas:

I remembered your warning about this investment, fx trading and cryptocurrencies months ago. We even analysed the days of Nospetco,sefteg etc back then to remind people. But It seems this is a recurring cycle in our country, can we Estimate what people have lost to these ventures?[b] Why do our people keep falling for such high risk schemes? [/b]Is there more we can do in terms of CSR to sensitise people and get the Government to be more proactive?

Our people keep falling for such schemes because many of us do not like to do even if it is a little research before investing money. Lot of us are just plain gullible and easily brainwashed and when someone tries to open our eyes we take them as enemy of progress. Also the get rich quick syndrome has really eaten deep into our system that once a mouth watering return is pronounced from any endeavour, we throw due diligence out of the way.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 7:16pm On Jul 26, 2021
RayRay06677:

Afrinvest sent to me

Okay, I contacted Corontion and a form was sent to me.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 9:12pm On Jul 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

The next one is the third Wednesday in August, be prepared

Next big thing will happen in my life by 9th of September @ tbills maturity. Will unavoidably miss it again. The future is open. Thanks a million for carrying poor me along

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 10:30pm On Jul 26, 2021
I take it you went for the 30 year - reopening... That's good. Well done. cool TTM 28 yrs 8 months. Next coupon payment Sept 2021 wink
emmanuelewumi:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:17am On Jul 27, 2021
skydiver01:
I take it you went for the 30 year - reopening... That's good. Well done. cool TTM 28 yrs 8 months. Next coupon payment Sept 2021 wink

Yes, next coupon payment is 27th September 2021
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 8:07am On Jul 27, 2021
Coupon on FGN 2045 bond which is supposed to drop on July 24th is not received until now, I used FirstBank.
Did anybody else experience this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 9:46am On Jul 27, 2021
I believe its because 24 July was a Saturday. Don't fret you should receive your alert today.

XiaoLi:
Coupon on FGN 2045 bond which is supposed to drop on July 24th is not received until now, I used FirstBank.
Did anybody else experience this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:57am On Jul 27, 2021
skydiver01:
I believe its because 24 July was a Saturday. Don't fret you should receive your alert today.

Today is Tuesday,
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by condomuser: 11:46am On Jul 27, 2021
The FGN bonds that is due today, has anyone been paid?.
I heard the senate approved fresh N982 billion for buhari, with the way things are going, the govt is likely to run out of printing paper when they can't afford to repay all loans
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IyaTola: 1:26pm On Jul 27, 2021
Tvegas:

He didn't kick against the bolded he said 5% of your networth. He would soon buy into the crypto space soon. Watch out for his analysis.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IyaTola: 1:26pm On Jul 27, 2021
condomuser:
The FGN bonds that is due today, has anyone been paid?.
I heard the senate approved fresh N982 billion for buhari, with the way things are going, the govt is likely to run out of printing paper when they can't afford to repay all loans
The reason CBN is opening a digital currency soon.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 2:49pm On Jul 27, 2021
I had a smooth one with dangote cement last year, though at a poor rate (5%).

Can one buy into this with Fbnquest? Ps. I doubt I can even meet up with the closing day, repatriating funds from Stanbic money market could be time consuming.

RayRay06677:

(1) (2) (3) ... (1966) (1967) (1968) (1969) (1970) (1971) (1972) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Emumakpo and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.