Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1977) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4461242 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1974) (1975) (1976) (1977) (1978) (1979) (1980) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 7:34am On Aug 12, 2021
[quote author=skydiver01 post=104699861][/quote]
Wow. TB rates on 364 tenure is nose diving again.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yazga: 7:40am On Aug 12, 2021
Chikebrain:

Wow. TB rates on 364 tenure is nose diving again.
Omo e get as e be
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Foodempire: 8:03am On Aug 12, 2021
Thanks

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chuky7(m): 10:25am On Aug 12, 2021
Hello guys am new here and I would like to be properly informed on how to convert my money to dollars.

This includes both savings and investment purposes to avoid inflation n devaluation.

Just trying to secure wealth for the future

Please this info is not just for me alone as I am young but my more experienced family members.

So how do you guys go about this and what are the tips or advice.

Cc
Emmanuelewumi.
Ahiboilandgas
Chigo4u
Jedisco freeman67

I heard you guys are pros in this area.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Entrepreneurrr: 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2021
I am a newbie here, i read some information about t-bills.
I ask firstbank today about 91 days tenor and they said is 2.5000 which i did not understand what they mean.
Can u pls enlighten me and the best banks to invest with?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 1:00pm On Aug 12, 2021
Nothing wrong with First Bank. They are very adept at purchasing these instruments for their customers.
91 days is a shorter tenor and that is about the rate for this tenor at the moment (c2.5%).

Entrepreneurrr:

I am a newbie here, i read some information about t-bills.
I ask firstbank today about 91 days tenor and they said is 2.5000 which i did not understand what they mean.
Can u pls enlighten me and the best banks to invest with?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pizapato(m): 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2021
Please how can I invest in this commercial paper. Through which bank did you buy it

RayRay06677:

How did you do it

U can liqudate all and reinvest some but never can you liquidate part, please enlighten me if I am still wrong, we are here to learn. I just liquidated 10m worth with maturity of Sept 9th and got 9.925m to boost up and reinvest on Wednesday on 15.4942% commercial paper at 270 days.

Did my maths and realized I will be making about 35k for terminating though am losing about 75k as penalty. Bought at little above 4% and liquidated at 7.5% to reinvest at 15.4%. if I waited till Sept, might not get that 15%.

So my guy that liquidated part of your investment, please show me how, thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abdulahi001: 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2021
Please my people, what do I call the bidding of every two weeks of Treasury Bills 'cos the guy I met at this first bank branch is talking gibberish.

Yesterday, he said it's only 7.1% available and today it's only 6.1% available. He said those are the secondary market rates. I was trying to explain to me the stop rate yesterday was 7.35% but he wasn't listening.

Please Oga Emma and Co, come to my aid.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2021
He is probably right, other guys could have snatched up the available 7.1%.
Secondary market is usually what is available when you miss out at the primary market.
abdulahi001:
Please my people, what do I call the bidding of every two weeks of Treasury Bills 'cos the guy I met at this first bank branch is talking gibberish.

Yesterday, he said it's only 7.1% available and today it's only 6.1% available
. He said those are the secondary market rates. I was trying to explain to me the stop rate yesterday was 7.35% but he wasn't listening.

Please Oga Emma and Co, come to my aid.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abdulahi001: 5:56pm On Aug 12, 2021
ojesymsym:
He is probably right, other guys could have snatched up the available 7.1%.
Secondary market is usually what is available when you miss out at the primary market.

Okay, I guess I should have told him that, I'm only interested in the auction of yesterday which was the primary market? Is that correct?

Also, he said first bank was unable to have any successful bid yesterday because their network was bad, how true?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 6:22pm On Aug 12, 2021
If you wanted Wednesday's bid then your application should have been with them latest Tuesday with the funds in your account. Coming on Thursday means you want to buy from the secondary market.
Yes, it is not uncommon for banks not to have successful bids but hardly for that reason he gave anyway. Usually happens if their bid was higher than what CBN is offering.

abdulahi001:

Okay, I guess I should have told him that, I'm only interested in the auction of yesterday which was the primary market? Is that correct?

Also, he said first bank was unable to have any successful bid yesterday because their network was bad, how true?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bjtinz: 9:08pm On Aug 12, 2021
Have been debited, but nonsense as far as am concerned. From my calculations I got about 7% for 365. So pissed off. angry

I will be shelving TBs for now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bjtinz: 9:18pm On Aug 12, 2021
Edit

I'm sorry o

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:30pm On Aug 12, 2021
^^^^ Hahahahaha... grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Entrepreneurrr: 6:16pm On Aug 13, 2021
skydiver01:
Nothing wrong with First Bank. They are very adept at purchasing these instruments for their customers.
91 days is a shorter tenor and that is about the rate for this tenor at the moment (c2.5%).
Okay. I understand.
I will apply for 364 then.

Can u advice that i should apply 100k every 2 weeks (For 500k) maybe i will hit some higher percentage
Or i should apply all once ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by favoured247(m): 8:54pm On Aug 13, 2021
Chuky7:
Hello guys am new here and I would like to be properly informed on how to convert my money to dollars.

This includes both savings and investment purposes to avoid inflation n devaluation.

Please this info is not just for me alone as I am young but my more experienced family members.

Cc
Emmanuelewumi.
Ahiboilandgas
Chigo4u
Jedisco freeman67

Please can someone respond to this? I am also interested

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 10:19pm On Aug 13, 2021
favoured247:

Please can someone respond to this? I am also interested
I did an extensive search on this when I got tired of Naira investment. I finally settled for below,
1. Did Eurobond, spoke with my broker to convert my Fixed Income capital. Because it was a bulk money I got N496/$1 (going to 2mths now). I settled for this because it wasn't easy to transfer $ on my own to their account. Even Everdon BDC rate was higher.
2. Put sizeable amount in RISE got in @ 485/1$ (2mths ago)
3. I venture into crypto with an amount I could easily loose without impact on my well being.
Initially I lost about half of my capital, then learn over time. Have since recouped my loss and in profit now.
Now I buy only the dip, usually once in 20 to 30 days, when I'm sure I will sell at profit and immediately move the money to USDT.
The money in crypto has given me the most return so far even though I was just using it to learn for now.
I still have some % in Naira though
Hope this helps....

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Suck2pool: 10:23pm On Aug 13, 2021
Register and verify your account and be rewarded immediately.

https://ocxie.com/register?referrer=998197318027.

For more clarification
https:// chat.whatsapp .com/ IDqtLMB4ZgwHxRczWsWgmo

Join us and cash out

Always learn how to use WhatsApp and telegram to cash out

Or write me on suck2pool@gmail.com for more ways to make money with WhatsApp and telegram

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obysuccess: 9:28am On Aug 14, 2021
ndidigood:
Mr.Ewumi you can upgrade to being a new school
I honestly think that if u take charge of ur trade.u will be getting the best deal in the market, l use to send mail/ text to my broker but most times they buy high and sell low
Trading by ursef is the best thing that can happen to ur investment life.
Let me give u example of what on Wednesday.
I have a target price of selling my UBA PLC at #9.while monitoring the price movement of stocks, UBA got to 8.75 .l quickly sold 20000 units to me is fair, before l knew it it got to #9 ah ah kilode l screamed.
In a twinkle of an eye it got to #9.10-#9.15,l sold another #20000, and#10000 again making it 50k unit and then greed set in.why selling everything one mind told me.and l left the remaining units.guess what? UBA closed @ 8.85 or so

U see? If na broker u asked to sell for u he go just offer ur order at a particular point in time without checking the pulse of d mkt
I follow market from 10am-2.30 live
Benefit of online trading
1.u take charge of ur portfolio
2. U make decision by ursef
3. U buy any quantity I like
4 u see live trade as in what people are buying
5. U see offer and bid
6. U sell now and buy another immediately
7. U see ur portfolio anytime anywhere
8. U save ursef stress of mailing or texting ur broker
9. U see summary of charges( very transparent).
10. U balance and re- balance ur portfolio whenever and however
11. U use any browsing paka phone to navigate.
What more can l say.is a Total package.
I use Morgan capital anyway.

On what platform do you trade?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:31am On Aug 14, 2021
Chuky7:

Cc
Emmanuelewumi.
Ahiboilandgas
Chigo4u
Jedisco freeman67

Hi, welcome.. lots of discussion have been done about it in the past. The general known to convert was by buying directly from Bureau De Change (BDC). However, recently the CBN have stopped the supply to BDCs and instead ask people to buy from bank instead. The headache there now is that unlike BDC where you can just go and buy what you want without question, the will restrict customers to an amount. You would also follow a process before buying/converting.

With what was discussed here in recent past and the present economic situation, just having your funds in USD is enough to beat inflation and devaluation. The only worry would be how to keep it safe if it is in your custody. That said, you can also invest it in FG Euro Bond if it is upto the minimum required or Euro Bond Funds with asset managers to increase it.

These are just the basics...

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Foodempire: 3:27pm On Aug 14, 2021
Nigeria economy getting her citizens poorer, your purchasing power keep dropping once you make Naira your buddy as most things you need money for are subjected to dollar valuations.

Imagine making some few gains on your naira investments in the course of two years but only to be wiped off in a twinkle of an eye by the almighty inflation n Naira devaluation.

It's apparent that CBN can't save the Naira ( at least for now) with their try and error policies, if I'm not mistaken this is the third or fourth times they stopped selling FX to BDC but they always reverse Thier decision as things only get worse. It's imminent that dollar may rise to #550/#600 by December because of high demands.

One of the ways I think might bring rates stability is for the cbn to provide teller points at the banks to sell FX to customers at a considerable rates irrespective of who provide documents of purchase, CBN should have two different rates for this purpose, one for the well documented purchases and one for random purchases .most businesses in Nigeria needs dollar for sustenance but no legal documents for back up hence they have to rely on BDC and this put them on top.

For now, I will just convert all my naira investments to dollar and see what comes up in January. Investing in only Naira denominated securities is so draining me and getting me poorer.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SALVAI: 9:24pm On Aug 14, 2021
Buy or sell your paypal funds
$110 PayPal from balance
420/$ what'sapp 0809 632488 9
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 9:24pm On Aug 14, 2021
cheesy cheesy

I thought we've talked about this Dollar issue before
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:47am On Aug 15, 2021
Nezzjnr:
cheesy cheesy

I thought we've talked about this Dollar issue before

So, when you finished talking about it then, did the problem permanently go away?
He's bringing in another perspective to it.
You can't finish talking about Nigeria's problems.
They're myriad, insoluble and constantly evolving.

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Helejyk: 8:30am On Aug 15, 2021
SALVAI:
$110 PayPal from balance
have you sold it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 10:45am On Aug 15, 2021
Foodempire:
Nigeria economy getting her citizens poorer, your purchasing power keep dropping once you make Naira your buddy as most things you need money for are subjected to dollar valuations.

Imagine making some few gains on your naira investments in the course of two years but only to be wiped off in a twinkle of an eye by the almighty inflation n Naira devaluation.

It's apparent that CBN can't save the Naira ( at least for now) with their try and error policies, if I'm not mistaken this is the third or fourth times they stopped selling FX to BDC but they always reverse Thier decision as things only get worse. It's imminent that dollar may rise to #550/#600 by December because of high demands.

One of the ways I think might bring rates stability is for the cbn to provide teller points at the banks to sell FX to customers at a considerable rates irrespective of who provide documents of purchase, CBN should have two different rates for this purpose, one for the well documented purchases and one for random purchases .most businesses in Nigeria needs dollar for sustenance but no legal documents for back up hence they have to rely on BDC and this put them on top.

For now, I will just convert all my naira investments to dollar and see what comes up in January. Investing in only Naira denominated securities is so draining me and getting me poorer.

Which investment firm did you use

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Entrepreneurrr: 11:08am On Aug 15, 2021
Entrepreneurrr:

Okay. I understand.
I will apply for 364 then.

Can u advice that i should apply 100k every 2 weeks (For 500k) maybe i will hit some higher percentage
Or i should apply all once ?
Anyone with an advice should help pls

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 11:19am On Aug 15, 2021
Foodempire:

I no longer bother myself about the forex situation of the country..
Early this year when CBN started giving free naira to those sending in forex was when it became obvious they were desperately out of ideas... Since then it's only got worse. Right now, they're back to witholding forex from BDCs and they think the outcome would be different from 2015..

I wonder how those at CBN think the forex needs of the country can be reduced to a list of few items... Or that the nation subsidising forex for those seeking medical attention or schooling abroad at the detriment of virtually every other business endeavour is a good idea... I wonder if there's any economic benefit in that or if its poor folks sending their kids abroad

Across major aspects of the economy, effects of similar decisions are obvious
Thesame way the poor are subsidising forex for the rich, is thesame way Nigeria supplies cheap petrol to surrounding African nations at the expense of our infrastructure in the name of fuel subsidy and also same way electricity is subsidised at the expense of regular supply and industrialization

Either way, certain things are given... As far as some folks for whatever reason have access to significantly cheaper forex, the downward spiral of the naira is guaranteed to continue as has been the case whenever that was the situation for the past 40 years. I will only start thinking of keeping significant sums in Naira when everyday market folks can easily access a rate close to the CBN official rate to run their businesses.

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 11:22am On Aug 15, 2021
Chuky7:

Cc
Emmanuelewumi.
Ahiboilandgas
Chigo4u
Jedisco freeman67

I've shared thoughts on this in the past here and they've largely remained unchanged
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sheisenough01: 12:15pm On Aug 15, 2021
SALVAI:
$110 PayPal from balance

Scammer do not deal with this individual.

A simple search shows his history.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 6:26pm On Aug 15, 2021
Sheisenough01:

Scammer do not deal with this individual.

A simple search shows his history.

https://punchng.com/investigate-before-investing-in-any-funds-sec-advises-nigerians/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:10pm On Aug 15, 2021
SALVAI:
$110 PayPal from balance
You hawking ur PayPal here, who's going to send first?

Why not take it to the currency exchange thread?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1974) (1975) (1976) (1977) (1978) (1979) (1980) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.