Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1979) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4446215 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1976) (1977) (1978) (1979) (1980) (1981) (1982) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 2:32pm On Aug 17, 2021
PresidentBuhari:
As much as never say never, I would say such situation whereby a Taliban occupies the government is not possible in the UK, USA, Germany, Russia and China. They can only hold people hostage on these soils for a maximum of 72 hours and the bullets and ammunition that will be used to clear them will be one of its kind.

That was how they said nobody can invade the Capitol Hill. cool

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:48pm On Aug 17, 2021
mickky22:

Mr Emmanuelewumi, I was at first bank and access bank... I was told that for to buy FGN Bond from primary market ... Minimum amount is N50M.... Which stanbic stock broker said I can only by from secondary market.

The question is I wish to buy from primary but I don't have upto N50M.

Wha can ido?

Thanks

Bought N4.5 million worth through the primary last month, it was facilitated by my bank

You can buy from the secondary market through your Stockbrokers or bank.

Find attached the updates after today's bond trading as it was sent to me 5 minutes ago

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by keeper303: 3:38pm On Aug 17, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Bought N4.5 million worth through the primary last month, it was facilitated by my bank

You can buy from the secondary market through your Stockbrokers or bank.

Find attached the updates after today's bond trading as it was sent to me 5 minutes ago

Please can you explain further on the table? Using #2m and targeting 12.4% 2036 as example, how much will i pay to purchase #2m worth To enable me earn 12.4% annual coupon.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:44pm On Aug 17, 2021
keeper303:

Please can you explain further on the table? Using #2m and targeting 12.4% 2036 as example, how much will i pay to purchase #2m worth To enable me earn 12.4% annual coupon.

Google bond market price list from FMDQ, that will give you an idea of the current price of the bond...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 4:01pm On Aug 17, 2021
Quite right. The beauty of diversification. wink

emmanuelewumi:

Just be prepared, nothing should come as surprise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by keeper303: 4:39pm On Aug 17, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Google bond market price list from FMDQ, that will give you an idea of the current price of the bond...

You didn't get my question. When one ask questions it is not only for the benefit of the person who asked the question but for other newbies to benefit too. You quoted 2 figures -bid and offer, assuming I want to invest #2m in the 12.4% bond, how much will I pay? I know I will still get interest of 12.4% dividends in a year, paid twice every 6 months. Google will not show me this. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 5:05pm On Aug 17, 2021
He got your question. You did not get his response. He was simply saying google will give you the website of FMDQ where you can get an idea of prices of all the FGN bonds. That aside, the closing mid price of the 12.4% 18 March 2036 is N96.4 per unit. Meaning your offer price will be slightly higher if you wish to buy e.g. +N1 to N3 and lower if you wish to sell e.g. -N1 to N3

So your example of wanting to purchase N2m worth at e.g. N98 will give you 20,408 units which will have a par value of N2,040,816. And yes you get the annual interest paid on the face value of the units held twice a year.

keeper303:

You didn't get my question. When one ask questions it is not only for the benefit of the person who asked the question but for other newbies to benefit too. You quoted 2 figures -bid and offer, assuming I want to invest #2m in the 12.4% bond, how much will I pay? I know I will still get interest of 12.4% dividends in a year, paid twice every 6 months. Google will not show me this. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by keeper303: 5:56pm On Aug 17, 2021
skydiver01:
He got your question. You did not get his response. He was simply saying google will give you the website of FMDQ where you can get an idea of prices of all the FGN bonds. That aside, the closing mid price of the 12.4% 18 March 2036 is N96.4 per unit. Meaning your offer price will be slightly higher if you wish to buy e.g. +N1 to N3 and lower if you wish to sell e.g. -N1 to N3

So your example of wanting to purchase N2m worth at e.g. N98 will give you 20,408 units which will have a par value of N2,040,816. And yes you get the annual interest paid on the face value of the units held twice a year.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:12pm On Aug 17, 2021
skydiver01:

Thank you for the explanation, he should be able to get roughly 19,500. I gave allowance for the commission and other charges

But why selling at a discount.

From Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers.

The bank has a better yield

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2021
You are welcome wink
keeper303:

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PresidentBuhari: 6:52pm On Aug 17, 2021
Thé power of the dollar to Naira
It is incredible how Naira has lost value, I just checked the USD I bought at N370/$ has gained over 41% against the Naira since March 2020 till date.

Meanwhile Sukuk bought at 11.2% interest hasn't even done 3% and it matures 2027.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PresidentBuhari: 6:53pm On Aug 17, 2021
Haha you are right, an oxymoron indeed

ChybuzzDD:

Your ideas and suggestions show you're reasonable, but they're not in agreement with your moniker. A reasonable 'PresidentBuhari' is an oxymoron.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 7:05pm On Aug 17, 2021
True but the 2036 is not offered to purchase or sell in the table below thus not available at this time from Stanbic.

People sometimes choose to sell at a discount when they wish to use the funds for something else. For example some may simply decide to sell some FGN bonds to invest in FX earning assets (USD, EURO, YUAN etc) or some other asset class.

emmanuelewumi:

Thank you for the explanation, he should be able to get roughly 19,500. I gave allowance for the commission and other charges

But why selling at a discount.

From Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers.

The bank has a better yield

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 7:07pm On Aug 17, 2021
The beauty of diversification wink

PresidentBuhari:
It is incredible how Naira has lost value, I just checked the USD I bought at N370/$ has gained over 41% against the Naira since March 2020 till date.

Meanwhile Sukuk bought at 11.2% interest hasn't even done 3% and it matures 2027.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:15pm On Aug 17, 2021
skydiver01:
True but the 2036 is not offered to purchase or sell in the table below thus not available at this time from Stanbic.

People sometimes choose to sell at a discount when they wish to use the funds for something else. For example some may simply decide to sell some FGN bonds to invest in FX earning assets (USD, EURO, YUAN etc) or some other asset class.

The 2036 was in the first table sent to me by Stanbic IBTC Bank

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 7:30pm On Aug 17, 2021
PresidentBuhari:

what you describe is a function of all fiat currency in use in the world, even the dollar is not immune to devaluation against real assets ...............

Money generally is a tool of control of the masses

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2021
I am looking for a good broker/asset manager that has a branch office in Abuja who deals with FGN Bonds, Treasury Bill, Cooperate Bonds, Commercial Papers and Private Placement. My broker Morgan doesn't do more than FGN Savings Bond and SUKUK.

I was frustrated by Stanbic IBTC Bank today. Last week I went to a branch in Wuse 2 and was told there will be an auction this week. I was also told to visit a particular branch ( Garki Branch) early on Tuesday. Only to get there today and find that all the staff there are just novice to many things or just pretending to be Ignorant.

I put a call through to their customer service and the guy that picked promised to call back. I went further to mail them but didn't get a reply. The guy later called back and was trying to tell me TB rates. I reminded him it was FG Bond I discussed with him earlier. Then he said he was going to call back again but didn't.

I went to a GTB closeby and was told to call my account officer. First time I will try such. He picked and was like hello sir., hello sir.. and before I know, he complained he couldn't hear me and cut the call. I tried calling back but he wouldn't pick. Then I went to a First Bank branch and was told that they have not been adviced on it for now. That I should drop my number so he can call me back whenever they reply..All to no avail.

So I need to have more brokers for flexibility. Cashcraft used to be an alternative untill it trapped it's customers. Abeg anybody that knows any good one should please help me with name ooo...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jobark: 8:29pm On Aug 17, 2021
freeman67:
I am looking for a good broker/asset manager that has a branch office in Abuja who deals with FGN Bonds, Treasury Bill, Cooperate Bonds, Commercial Papers and Private Placement. My broker Morgan doesn't do more than FGN Savings Bond and SUKUK.

I was frustrated by Stanbic IBTC Bank today. Last week I went to a branch in Wuse 2 and was told there will be an auction this week. I was also told to visit a particular branch ( Garki Branch) early on Tuesday. Only to get there today and find that all the staff there are just novice to many things or just pretending to be Ignorant.

I put a call through to their customer service and the guy that picked promised to call back. I went further to mail them but didn't get a reply. The guy later called back and was trying to tell me TB rates. I reminded him it was FG Bond I discussed with him earlier. Then he said he was going to call back again but didn't.

I went to a GTB closeby and was told to call my account officer. First time I will try such. He picked and was like hello sir., hello sir.. and before I know, he complained he couldn't hear me and cut the call. I tried calling back but he wouldn't pick. Then I went to a First Bank branch and was told that they have not been adviced on it for now. That I should drop my number so he can call me back whenever they reply..All to no avail.

So I need to have more brokers for flexibility. Cashcraft used to be an alternative untill it trapped it's customers. Abeg anybody that knows any good one should please help me with name ooo...

Try Afrinvest, Maitama
address: Oakland Centre
Plot 2940, Aguiyi Ironsi Street
Maitama, Abuja FCT
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2021
Noted.
emmanuelewumi:

The 2036 was in the first table sent to me by Stanbic IBTC Bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PresidentBuhari: 9:51pm On Aug 17, 2021
Buying FGN bonds via Stanbic is quite frustrating, the branches don't do it, they need to call their stock broking unit, the unit will require funding their stockbroking account with minimum of N5m, they may delay opening CSCS account for you while holding on to your funds for two weeks.

freeman67 :

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:22pm On Aug 17, 2021
jobark:

Try Afrinvest, Maitama
address: Oakland Centre
Plot 2940, Aguiyi Ironsi Street
Maitama, Abuja FCT

Okay, thanks. Do you have idea of their requirements?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:27pm On Aug 17, 2021
PresidentBuhari:
Buying FGN bonds via Stanbic is quite frustrating, the branches don't do it, they need to call their stock broking unit, the unit will require funding their stockbroking account with minimum of N5m, they may delay opening CSCS account for you while holding on to your funds for two weeks.

That's the issue. And no how to meet their stock broking unit except through the branches.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jobark: 10:39pm On Aug 17, 2021
freeman67:

Okay, thanks. Do you have idea of their requirements?

well i advice you check their website and also speak to them for official information. I'm sure the requirements wouldnt be beyond the usual KYC and all.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:53pm On Aug 17, 2021
jobark:

well i advice you check their website and also speak to them for official information. I'm sure the requirements wouldnt be beyond the usual KYC and all.

Yep, I am already checking up their website. Will try and pay them a visit too. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 12:06am On Aug 18, 2021
PresidentBuhari:
The CBN just halted activities of most of these companies and froze their accounts, risevest inclusive ...

https://www.nairaland.com/6707187/cbn-secures-order-freezing-risevest

Froze account of stocks wey they domiciled with Drivewealth..lol. Una they rate this una mumu CBN sha..

Well most of those companies will have funds in Nigerian accounts, but mainly company funds for operations. So this isn't a good news all the same.

My advice: stay away from Nigerian dorm accounts as much as possible. In fact, anything forex within the reach of this desperate/clueless government.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oluayebenz: 12:27am On Aug 18, 2021
STNWAUME:

By 2050 exchange rate will be around N10000 per USD that is even if Nigeria still exist.

MARK MY WORD

Negative people sad

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oluayebenz: 12:28am On Aug 18, 2021
Nezzjnr:

The way you guys predict doom for your country dey shock me to be honest.

All these Beer parlour analysts that will just sit down at the comfort of their home and start predicting what won't happen.

Thats black people mentality .....

Always negative

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 4:45am On Aug 18, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

Froze account of stocks wey they domiciled with Drivewealth..lol. Una they rate this una mumu CBN sha..

Well most of those companies will have funds in Nigerian accounts, but mainly company funds for operations. So this isn't a good news all the same.

My advice: stay away from Nigerian dorm accounts as much as possible. In fact, anything forex within the reach of this desperate/clueless government.
All of a sudden, Nigerian government dey claim say na these companies dey put pressure on the Naira wey dey make am fall. So when these companies never exist, who come dey put pressure on the Naira?

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 6:25am On Aug 18, 2021
oluayebenz:

Thats black people mentality .....

Always negative
They're always quick to say a lot of nonsense that'll happen to the nation all because of likes

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 6:26am On Aug 18, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
All of a sudden, Nigerian government dey claim say na these companies dey put pressure on the Naira wey dey make am fall. So when these companies never exist, who come dey put pressure on the Naira?
Did you read the reason why they froze their accounts??

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:04am On Aug 18, 2021
freeman67:

Quote me on a dead thread on who to mail or call at Stanbic IBTC Bank head office.

If you have minimum of N5 million to invest you can always buy corporate bonds through major stockbroking firms eg Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers, United Capital Securities, Chapel Hill Denham, CSL Stockbrokers, Afrinvest Securities, FSDH Securities and many more.

If you don't have a minimum of N5 million to invest at a goal on a given commercial paper, Money Market Fund is also good.

Stanbic IBTC Stockbroker is the preferred one among Stockbroking firms for bond investments in the secondary market

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1976) (1977) (1978) (1979) (1980) (1981) (1982) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.