Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,036 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2070) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4468719 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2067) (2068) (2069) (2070) (2071) (2072) (2073) ... (2234) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pizapato(m): 8:22pm On Apr 02, 2022
Donbrig:
The world will soon be done with dollar hegemony. Russia/Ukraine crisis has opened the eyes of many countries. China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, India and other nations are now concluding plans on how to trade with each other using their local currencie instead of using dollars as the only means of payment. It is only a matter of time before African countries follow suit, dollar is certainly still gonna dominate but it will definately lose lots of relevance on the international market.

It is only a matter of time... The pace to reduce the strength of dollar globally has already been set.... even IMF has seen the hand writing on the wall.

The issues is not whether the world is done with dollar as a global reserve currency or not. The argument is naira maintaining a fair value against $,€, £ over a period of time.

Whether dollar loses its value as the global reserve currency or not, naira is not appreciating against it any time soon. If I want to keep the value of my money and still experience some appreciation without stress, I will rather keep the money in either $,€, £ instead of investing in Treasury bill or MMF.

If I want to hold naira, I will put it in equities where it can have 50% appreciation if the odds favour me

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by JavaSQL: 8:32pm On Apr 02, 2022
Very similar to what I mentioned here a few weeks ago, the sharp decline with Naira is inevitable, looking at the prices of commodities now can only indicate what will happen in less than a year from now.

I am thinking moving all my Naira to a fixed asset like property which has shown tremendous increase in value from 2020 till now, but then the difficulty remains either buying an already built or buy and build, the more you wait, the more costs go up.

I might just find a reputable real estate company and mitigate the risks to them

pizapato:

Over the last 3 years, the naira has consistently lost about 20% of its value per year

Jan 2020: 1$ = #360 | Dec 2020: 1$ = #460
Jan 2021: 1$ = #470 | Dec 2021: 1$ = #560
Jan 2022: 1$ = #560 | Dec 2022: 1$ = #?

Currently dollars sells between 580-590, by the end of the year it might sell for 660 if the pattern continues.
Investing in dollar dominated asset at 5% per annum will give 25% return annually when you factor in devaluation.

Any investment in naira that is not returning minimum of 20% per annum is not worth it because of the possibility of naira losing beyond 20% of its value in that period.

Better to convert your money to dollar and hide it under your pillow grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

There is a thread for that on Nairaland
Link, not stocks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 8:45pm On Apr 02, 2022
Donbrig:
The world will soon be done with dollar hegemony. Russia/Ukraine crisis has opened the eyes of many countries. China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, India and other nations are now concluding plans on how to trade with each other using their local currencie instead of using dollars as the only means of payment. It is only a matter of time before African countries follow suit, dollar is certainly still gonna dominate but it will definately lose lots of relevance on the international market.

It is only a matter of time... The pace to reduce the strength of dollar globally has already been set.... even IMF has seen the hand writing on the wall.

Sorry this will never happen. Dollar will still remain world currency for a long time to come, the propaganda against US and dollars is just emotions, we’ve been hearing for long time. Us will still dominate in our lifetime

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Labadi69: 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2022
JavaSQL:
Very similar to what I mentioned here a few weeks ago, the sharp decline with Naira is inevitable, looking at the prices of commodities now can only indicate what will happen in less than a year from now.

I am thinking moving all my Naira to a fixed asset like property which has shown tremendous increase in value from 2020 till now, but then the difficulty remains either buying an already built or buy and build, the more you wait, the more costs go up.

I might just find a reputable real estate company and mitigate the risks to them

Which property has shown tremendous increase in value? In which area? Have you tried to sell a house recently? Stop talking what you don’t know before strong yamayama fall on you this night o angry

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by JavaSQL: 9:22pm On Apr 02, 2022
You definitely haven't been following the property market, I can understand. It's not for the faint hearted.

Labadi69:

Which property has shown tremendous increase in value? In which area? Have you tried to sell a house recently? Stop talking what you don’t know before strong yamayama fall on you this night o angry

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Labadi69: 9:41pm On Apr 02, 2022
JavaSQL:
You definitely haven't been following the property market, I can understand. It's not for the faint hearted.

Answer the questions guy b4 yamayama fall on you. Have you sold a house recently? In what area? angry

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2022
just2endowed:
what account are u using to keep ur dollar

Stocks. Crypto.
Then keep some Euros in my Deutsche Bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 11:04pm On Apr 02, 2022
Tobex4realTobex234:

Stocks. Crypto.
Then keep some Euros in my Deutsche Bank.

Deutsche Bank operate from Nigeria?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 7:23am On Apr 03, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

Any Investment that combine the effects of a return of equity of 10%, earning growth of 15% will do that

There are not many local investments which offer that in a reliable and safe manner. Moreso one that is liquid enough. All these being tenable over a good period of time.

Over the last 7yrs, the gdp of the nation has largely been stagnant. Although there have veen some bright sparks in some sectors
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 7:29am On Apr 03, 2022
pizapato:

Over the last 3 years, the naira has consistently lost about 20% of its value per year

Jan 2020: 1$ = #360 | Dec 2020: 1$ = #460
Jan 2021: 1$ = #470 | Dec 2021: 1$ = #560
Jan 2022: 1$ = #560 | Dec 2022: 1$ = #?

Currently dollars sells between 580-590, by the end of the year it might sell for 660 if the pattern continues.
Investing in dollar dominated asset at 5% per annum will give 25% return annually when you factor in devaluation.

Any investment in naira that is not returning minimum of 20% per annum is not worth it because of the possibility of naira losing beyond 20% of its value in that period.

Better to convert your money to dollar and hide it under your pillow grin

2020 and 2021 weren't great for the naira but then, some years are better than others.
All said, the crux of the matter for our leaders should be strengthening the local economy. If everyone converts their naira to the dollar, we would not have a country to enjoy the returns. Eitherway, in Nigeria, you need to protect your head first.

Reason why the eurobond offering by the government will be a good one for local investors who can tap into it.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:30am On Apr 03, 2022
jedisco:

There are not many local investments which offer that in a reliable and safe manner. Moreso one that is liquid enough. All these being tenable over a good period of time.

Over the last 7yrs, the gdp of the nation has largely been stagnant. Although there have veen some bright sparks in some sectors

Dig deeper, some businesses have been having earnings growth of over 20% annualized in the last 5 years.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 8:37am On Apr 03, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

Dig deeper, some businesses have been having earnings growth of over 20% annualized in the last 5 years.

I know a few who have but like I said they are few and far between or largely operate in an inefficient market.
My issue with devaluation is not about me personally as I've well insulated myself. It's about hapless Nigerians who are being impoverished by the day.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 9:04am On Apr 03, 2022
In another news.... the latest eurobond offering was oversubscribed to the tune of 200% causing a rate reduction from 8.7 to 8.3. Of course the DMO will attribute this to 'invesor confidence' which is untrue. If the effective rate was much lower, I'd agree. The DMO needs to look into whoever is advising them on rates. A 0.5% rate drop would save the nation tens of millions in forex
I'm no economist but commonsense dictates that if I'm spending over 2/3rd of my income to pay old debts, any new debt I'm taking should be at the lowest rate possible.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 9:07am On Apr 03, 2022
To take things further... borrowing at high rates to pay subsudies.... hehe..
Reason why I wouldn't blame any individual trying to safeguard their investment in a legal way

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by JavaSQL: 9:52am On Apr 03, 2022
The only ones who takes responsibility for all the mess are the words FGN and CBN, not the governor, not the finance minister. The words are just mere entities, when kasala bursts every investor will be on their own.

jedisco:
In another new... the latest eurobond offering was oversubscribed to the tune of 200% causing a rate reduction from 8.7 to 8.3. Of course the DMO will attribute this to 'invesor confidence' which is untrue. If the effective rate was much lower, I'd agree. The DMO needs to look into whoever is advising them on rates. A 0.5% rate drop would save the nation tens of millions in forex
I'm no economist but commonsense dictates that if I'm spending over 2/3rd of my income to pay old debts, any new debt I'm taking should be at the lowest rate possible.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kalu61(m): 10:16am On Apr 03, 2022
chigo4u:

Sorry this will never happen. Dollar will still remain world currency for a long time to come, the propaganda against US and dollars is just emotions, we’ve been hearing for long time. Us will still dominate in our lifetime
Well, dollars still will remain the world currency but l don't think you will want to neglect the fact that the propaganda against usdt is insignificant.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pizapato(m): 10:39am On Apr 03, 2022
JavaSQL:

Real estate is good.
Like Pa emma always adviced, cash flow is the most important thing. Having properties bringing continuous cashflow while the properties appreciate in value is also a good way to beat devaluation.

The only challenge with real estate is getting tenants who will be reasonable and won't default on payment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kamzibobo(m): 10:44am On Apr 03, 2022
https:///G4gkPggb5eAIDzjHMx3aHQ

Join to earn legitimate cash with no stress
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kamzibobo(m): 10:45am On Apr 03, 2022
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 11:00am On Apr 03, 2022
JavaSQL:
The only ones who takes responsibility for all the mess are the words FGN and CBN, not the governor, not the finance minister. The words are just mere entities, when kasala bursts every investor will be on their own.

Finally, if it results in devaluation and more inflation, everyone will answer his name.
Regular Nigerians keeping savings in usd investments might do the nation more harm...but survival is a natural instinct. Those in power don't care
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 3:34pm On Apr 03, 2022
If your financial advisor hasn't recommended Bitco1n yet, fire them!. angry

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dum20: 12:48pm On Apr 04, 2022
Hello Gurus in the house,

Please i need a confirmation on FGN Bonds in the secondary and primary market.

I went to my broker they said the FGN Bonds for secondary market the minimum amount they can subscribe is N5 Million. Same thing with primary market. I want to confirm if that is true.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 3:00pm On Apr 04, 2022
Dum20:
Hello Gurus in the house,

Please i need a confirmation on FGN Bonds in the secondary and primary market.

I went to my broker they said the FGN Bonds for secondary market the minimum amount they can subscribe is N5 Million. Same thing with primary market. I want to confirm if that is true.

Each stockbroking or investment firm have their minimum deposit required from prospective Bond investor. It differs from one firm to the other. If you are to subscribe directly at the primary market you need N50 million.

It's this amount ( N50m) involved that brought about FGN Savings bond which investors can subscribe with a minimum of 5k and maximum of N50 million because many Nigerians can't afford N50 million.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dum20: 3:15pm On Apr 04, 2022
emmasoft:

Each stockbroking or investment firm have their minimum deposit required from prospective Bond investor. It differs from one firm to the other. If you are to subscribe directly at the primary market you need N50 million.

It's this amount ( N50m) involved that brought about FGN Savings bond which investors can subscribe with a minimum of 5k and maximum of N50 million because many Nigerians can't afford N50 million.

Emma thanks,

I need more understanding.

But the minimium for Treasury Bills is 50 million but people are able to buy with even 500k.

Does it mean that people with N1 million will not be able to buy FGN bonds in the primary market as well as secondary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Indigbo: 3:29pm On Apr 04, 2022
Can someone suggest a very short time 3-6 month where i can just dump this 30million and capital 100% safe?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Indigbo: 3:37pm On Apr 04, 2022
pizapato:

The issues is not whether the world is done with dollar as a global reserve currency or not. The argument is naira maintaining a fair value against $,€, £ over a period of time.

Whether dollar loses its value as the global reserve currency or not, naira is not appreciating against it any time soon. If I want to keep the value of my money and still experience some appreciation without stress, I will rather keep the money in either $,€, £ instead of investing in Treasury bill or MMF.

If I want to hold naira, I will put it in equities where it can have 50% appreciation if the odds favour me

I will put it in equities where it can have 50% appreciation if the odds favour me

Name them sir? cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 4:22pm On Apr 04, 2022
Dum20:

Emma thanks,

I need more understanding.

But the minimium for Treasury Bills is 50 million but people are able to buy with even 500k.

Does it mean that people with N1 million will not be able to buy FGN bonds in the primary market as well as secondary market?

Yes when you go through investment house/financial institution you can buy with less than N50 million.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pizapato(m): 5:27pm On Apr 04, 2022
Indigbo:

I will put it in equities where it can have 50% appreciation if the odds favour me

Name them sir? cheesy

I'm not experienced enough to give you recommendations. There is a thread dedicated to NSE on nairaland. You can follow the discussion there to know what to buy.

I will just share my experience over the last 18 months

UCAP gave me 60% capital appreciation last year, and that's because I jumped out early. Bought at #5+, sold at #9+, if I waited longer I would have left with over 100% because it eventually hit #14 few weeks back.

I bought Guinness at #48 and sold at #70 in less than a month in February this year.

Of course there's a risk of losing of money in equities like in case of UBA that underperformed but with dividend I recieved, I didn't make loss, just didn't make any profit but I don't mind.

I'm not recommending UCAP or Guinness, just stating that whatever I want to hold naira will have to be in investment with moderate risk and potential for high return.

What I'm not ready to risk is held in $$$

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:32pm On Apr 04, 2022
emmasoft:

With N100,000 you can buy FGN bond in the secondary market through Stanbic IBTC Stockbroker. With N1 million you can buy in the primary market through Stanbic IBTC Bank

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mickky22: 3:41am On Apr 05, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

With N100,000 you can buy FGN bond in the secondary market through Stanbic IBTC Stockbroker. With N1 million you can buy in the primary market through Stanbic IBTC Bank

Goodday Oga Emmanuelewumi

I was in one of there branches in Lagos... I was told that the minimum is 50m.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:12am On Apr 05, 2022
mickky22:

Goodday Oga Emmanuelewumi

I was in one of there branches in Lagos... I was told that the minimum is 50m.

Where is the branch? They get money from customers running to billions of Naira which they use to bid for them.

Send a mail to the head office

(1) (2) (3) ... (2067) (2068) (2069) (2070) (2071) (2072) (2073) ... (2234) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: TLAX, Lordchi and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.