Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (359) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4467245 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (2234) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 9:49pm On Aug 09, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 10:09pm On Aug 09, 2017
okochaik:
Thanks for the master piece, I tried reading and here I got to know about TB but I think I need to read more as you suggested. Thanks a lot for the contribution
well you don't need to read all pages.
Read atleast the first five pages to understand where your money is going. See if the questions others have asked is what is troubling you and what was the reply.

All these should be in the first five pages. Now compare what you have read to the recent comments made here.
Once you have done all that, set out to the bank.

The more often you invest in Tbills, the more your knowledge base expands. Infact you will begin to pay more attention to business news once you do.

and yes your money can handle it, just tell her what is about the basics. when she gets to the phone try to ensure you and the bank staff in charge speak on the phone, so you both are clear on what you intend to do.

Do this and you are fine
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chyima(f): 10:40pm On Aug 09, 2017
I got below from stanbic @the secondary market, and invested my upfront interest for the 93 days,and I have be credited upfront from this also.Treasury bill is bae
Maturity. Tenor Discount Rate
9th November 2017 93.00. 17.20%
15th February 2018 191.00. 17.30%
26th July 2018 352.00. 17.9

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mup4life: 11:33pm On Aug 09, 2017
Pls house investing in T-bills or MMF with stanbic ibtc, which option is better or has more advantages? For MMF i was told the rate was at 18.2% p.a.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GodMercy2015: 6:14am On Aug 10, 2017
chyima:
I got below from stanbic @the secondary market, and invested my upfront interest for the 93 days,and I have be credited upfront from this also.Treasury bill is bae
Maturity. Tenor Discount Rate
9th November 2017 93.00. 17.20%
15th February 2018 191.00. 17.30%
26th July 2018 352.00. 17.9

Please I would like to invest 500k for 93 days tenor at stanbic, do you know the likely interest rate. Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Toboi: 7:50am On Aug 10, 2017
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/08/10/fg-restructures-debt-profile-to-issue-dollar-backed-treasury-bills/

What does this mean for the T-Bills market? Can someone help explain the intricacies involved.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 9:22am On Aug 10, 2017
FG will reduce the volume of TBills and the interest rates. The tenure will also be longer. This is my understanding of the report.

Toboi:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/08/10/fg-restructures-debt-profile-to-issue-dollar-backed-treasury-bills/

What does this mean for the T-Bills market? Can someone help explain the intricacies involved.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GreatManBee: 9:48am On Aug 10, 2017
Mup4life:
Pls house investing in T-bills or MMF with stanbic ibtc, which option is better or has more advantages? For MMF i was told the rate was at 18.2% p.a.

Any update on this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 9:58am On Aug 10, 2017
Toboi:

What does this mean for the T-Bills market? Can someone help explain the intricacies involved?

Upon maturity of existing treasury bills, it will be repackaged and sold as debt in the International Capital Market. The proceeds of this sale will be used to pay off the TB holders.

It's like a refinancing. Using debt to pay off debt. Creating dollar debt (with lower cost and longer tenor) to pay off naira debt.

Hopefully, the country's efforts to increase Fx revenue would have yielded fruit. If not, I shudder to think of the consequences.

For more clarity, see https://nairametrics.com/explained-fgs-plan-to-refinance-treasury-bills-with-dollar-debts/

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chyima(f): 10:15am On Aug 10, 2017
GodMercy2015:

Please I would like to invest 500k for 93 days tenor at stanbic, do you know the likely interest rate. Thanks.

walk into any of their branch from 10 and find out the available tenure and rate for the day.I think the portal closes by 12pm for secondary market so endeavor to be there before 12.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 10:20am On Aug 10, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 1:21pm On Aug 10, 2017
“You
are not increasing your debt. You are using $3
billion debt to pay off. So, the total debt stock
will not increase. The structure is going to
change. So, you are using debt, which is of
lower cost and longer maturities to take out
the short term debt. That is the best thing
that can happen to Nigeria.”

like some people mentioned earlier..
This high rates can't last forever!

however, its clear the banks are behind this sudden drastic move!

No worries.. 100% security of capital remains the beauty of treasury bills!

THEY ARE NOT STOPPING TREASURY BILLS ..yet or ever grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 2:19pm On Aug 10, 2017
Good news

Oil rises to $53 as inventory overhang erodes, Saudi cuts exports http://punchng.com/oil-rises-to-53-as-inventory-overhang-erodes-saudi-cuts-exports/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 3:39pm On Aug 10, 2017
Good!

So, what are the implications of this to TBills and other investment windows?

Investnow2017:
Good news

Oil rises to $53 as inventory overhang erodes, Saudi cuts exports http://punchng.com/oil-rises-to-53-as-inventory-overhang-erodes-saudi-cuts-exports/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cooldudeng(m): 3:46pm On Aug 10, 2017
chyima:

walk into any of their branch from 10 and find out the available tenure and rate for the day.I think the portal closes by 12pm for secondary market so endeavor to be there before 12.

Stanbic bank isn't great for secondary market, hence expect a lower rate but they are great for primary market. Otherwise, use FBN
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 3:54pm On Aug 10, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by msalami(m): 4:15pm On Aug 10, 2017
House, please a friend is asking a question here. What could be the implication if he invested in Treasury Bill with dollar and the rate crashed?

Your swift response would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vitality22(m): 4:21pm On Aug 10, 2017
cooldudeng:

Stanbic bank isn't great for secondary market, hence expect a lower rate but they are great for primary market. Otherwise, use FBN
Stanbic secondary market isn't bad either. Today 10-08-17, they had
91days @ 13.42%
182days @ 17.4%
364days @ 18.53%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 7:02pm On Aug 10, 2017
vitality22:

91days @ 13.42%
182days @ 17.4%
364days @ 18.53%

My friend, it's not possible at all to get 364 days at secondary market anywhere so I seriously doubt the authenticity of your post

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cooldudeng(m): 7:15pm On Aug 10, 2017
vitality22:

91days @ 13.42%
182days @ 17.4%
364days @ 18.53%

Those are the last primary market auction rates according to the CBN website. Stanbic can't deliver on that
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 7:28pm On Aug 10, 2017
tolajay:
FG will reduce the volume of TBills and the interest rates. The tenure will also be longer. This is my understanding of the report.

In a nutshell, the implication is that the present high rates in the Treasury Bills Market will drop as the aim of this move is to bring down inflation and consequently interest rates and cost of funds and the Banks will be happy for this as many MAY go back to FIXED deposits which pays the Banks much more than having their customers opting for Treasury Bills
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 7:33pm On Aug 10, 2017
Toboi:

TONY56:

In a nutshell, the implication is that the present high rates in the Treasury Bills Market will drop as the aim of this move is to bring down inflation and consequently interest rates and cost of funds and the Banks will be happy for this as many MAY go back to FIXED deposits which pays the Banks much more than having their customers opting for Treasury Bills
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vitality22(m): 8:32pm On Aug 10, 2017
TONY56:

My friend, it's not possible at all to get 364 days at secondary market anywhere so I seriously doubt the authenticity of your post
Well that was exactly what I was told today at stanbic. I normally use FBN, I had to open account with stanbic for Tbills only.
am waiting to terminate my insurance policy with Fbn insurance so I can use the money for Tbills. So I just walked in to do some enquiries and the lady checked and wrote it down for me.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by beyolah: 9:02pm On Aug 10, 2017
TONY56:

Toboi:

[quote author=Toboi post=59325112]http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/08/10/fg-restructures-debt-profile-to-issue-dollar-backed-treasury-bills/

Any ideas on when this would take effect? [i][/i]
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by redcap: 9:20pm On Aug 10, 2017
Pls I urgently need answers,I did tbills through fidelity bank last week but yet to be given proof of transaction.Its my first and I have been sick since then hence could not follow up.I need to know which documents I should request for on my next visit to the bank.thx

Cc:TONY56
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 10, 2017
@mamajaz I C U oo

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 10:23pm On Aug 10, 2017
beyolah:

Ive been praying hard for the rates to remain high, at least for the next 6months, but with this news on refinancing(which i dont understand),its evident that the game is about to change.

anyone with a clear understanding on the implication of this new development,should pls educate the house. i cant seem to find any useful material about the subject matter online.

if u ask me, they want to transfer the debt profile to foreign investor, yes they would clear off local debts but how would they raise funds to payback foreign debts in future. anyway our fingers are crossed,i hope the national assembly looks into this issue critically before endorsing it.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 11:10pm On Aug 10, 2017
Please I need clarification on this; If one buys a Tbill at 18% and FG changes the interest rate to 15%, will the investor still receive the interest of 18% at maturity despite 15% being the current/prevailing rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gnykelly(m): 12:11am On Aug 11, 2017
olujaidi:

Upon maturity of existing treasury bills, it will be repackaged and sold as debt in the International Capital Market. The proceeds of this sale will be used to pay off the TB holders.

It's like a refinancing. Using debt to pay off debt. Creating dollar debt (with lower cost and longer tenor) to pay off naira debt.

Hopefully, the country's efforts to increase Fx revenue would have yielded fruit. If not, I shudder to think of the consequences.

Formore clarity, see https://nairametrics.com/explained-fgs-plan-to-refinance-treasury-bills-with-dollar-debts/

these are junk bond you guys need to be careful.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 12:25am On Aug 11, 2017
tolajay:
Please I need clarification on this; If one buys a Tbill at 18% and FG changes the interest rate to 15%, will the investor still receive the interest of 18% at maturity despite 15% being the current/prevailing rate?
let me answer it straight. The "rates" are fixed.
if you get 18% for 364 and in 2wks time it changes to "15% , it doesn't affect your investment.

Now for the profit, remember you are paid upfront so what you receive upon maturity is your capital.
eg I invest 100,000 at 18% for 364days
interest is 18,000 , after charges it could be 17,000.
I will be paid this interest immediately if bid is successful
so at the end of the 364days my 100k will be refunded back to me. get it now?

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:09am On Aug 11, 2017
beyolah:

Click on the site and all details will be yours

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (2234) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.