Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,073 members, 7,835,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (360) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4465833 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:28am On Aug 11, 2017
redcap:
Pls I urgently need answers,I did tbills through fidelity bank last week but yet to be given proof of transaction.Its my first and I have been sick since then hence could not follow up.I need to know which documents I should request for on my next visit to the bank.thx

Cc:TONY56

1.Did you fill a Treasury Bills form stating or indicating that you wanted either a 91-day, 182-day or 364-day tenor Treasury Bills?
2.Did you receive any notification that it was done and successful either through text message or email?
3.Where you debited for the amount and credited with the upfront interest few days after?

If the answers to the questions above are yes, then go to the Branch you did it and simply walk to the officer in charge of the Treasury Bills and demand for your hard copy of the Treasury Bills you did last week and it will be given to you.

On the contrary, if the answers are NO, then it was not done and your money should still be intact In your account. So check your balance to confirm, except if they saw you as a newbie and had tricked you into signing for Fixed Deposit.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:37am On Aug 11, 2017
zamirikpo:

Ive been praying hard for the rates to remain high, at least for the next 6months, but with this news on refinancing(which i dont understand),its evident that the game is about to change.

anyone with a clear understanding on the implication of this new development,should pls educate the house. i cant seem to find any useful material about the subject matter online.

if u ask me, they want to transfer the debt profile to foreign investor, yes they would clear off local debts but how would they raise funds to payback foreign debts in future. anyway our fingers are crossed,i hope the national assembly looks into this issue critically before endorsing it.

The answers my friend is on this page. Just scroll down. Treasury Bills are not going to be discontinued in Nigeria. It's only about the Re-financing of the debt payments. They're still going to raise the funds through this very local Treasury Bills only that the repayment period or tenor will increase and that will give the CBN a breather.

Also, click on to the site mentioned and read the government explanation yourself for better understanding
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by redcap: 5:42am On Aug 11, 2017
TONY56:

1.Did you fill a Treasury Bills form stating or indicating that you wanted either a 91-day, 182-day or 364-day tenor Treasury Bills?
2.Did you receive any notification that it was done and successful either through text message or email?
3.Where you debited for the amount and credited with the upfront interest few days after?

If the answers to the questions above are yes, then go to the Branch you did it and simply walk to the officer in charge of the Treasury Bills and demand for your hard copy of the Treasury Bills you did last week and it will be given to you.

On the contrary, if the answers are NO, then it was not done and your money should still be intact In your account. So check your balance to confirm, except if they saw you as a newbie and had tricked you into signing for Fixed Deposit.

Thx bro, I was actually debited after some days but I became indisposed. I will visit my branch this morning.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:47am On Aug 11, 2017
redcap:

Thx bro, I was actually debited after some days but I became indisposed. I will visit my branch this morning.

That's good but were you credited with your upfront interest few day after?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:58am On Aug 11, 2017
TONY56:

The answers my friend is on this page. Just scroll down. Treasury Bills are not going to be discontinued in Nigeria. It's only about the Re-financing of the debt payments. They're still going to raise the funds through this very local Treasury Bills only that the repayment period or tenor will increase and that will give the CBN a breather.

Also, click on to the site mentioned and read the government explanation yourself for better understanding

If the Treasury Bill is refinanced, the funds from the refinanced debt ie TB will be used to pay the local investors whenever their TB matures. Rather than Nigerians providing short term funds to FG, this will be done by foreigners and Nigerians who have access to forex.

I foresee a situation whereby yields on TB will reduce, forex may become scarce for local TB or Eurobond investors, thereby affecting the exchange rate.

The government is trying hard to promote the savings bond. The winners as a result of this proposed policy are the banks and Federal Government.

I see a situation whereby many A-list companies will come out for their corporate bonds and commercial papers, qualified state governments may also raise funds through bonds, l also see increase activities and returns from the stock market, hopefully things ought to start looking up in the real estate sectors.

These are my layman's opinions, I hope I am 60% correct with my projections.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 7:01am On Aug 11, 2017
gnykelly:

these are junk bond you guys need to be careful.

Why did you classify it junk?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:03am On Aug 11, 2017
Toboi:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/08/10/fg-restructures-debt-profile-to-issue-dollar-backed-treasury-bills/

What does this mean for the T-Bills market? Can someone help explain the intricacies involved.

That is why real investors try to invest in different asset classes, TB went as low as 10% about 18 to 24 months ago.

FGN savings bonds may come to the rescue.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:08am On Aug 11, 2017
gnykelly:

these are junk bond you guys need to be careful.

They are only for qualified and sophisticated international investors.

Open your inner eyes, I see other opportunities for the smart investors in the Nigerian financial markets and investment terrain.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:16am On Aug 11, 2017
zamirikpo:

Ive been praying hard for the rates to remain high, at least for the next 6months, but with this news on refinancing(which i dont understand),its evident that the game is about to change.

anyone with a clear understanding on the implication of this new development,should pls educate the house. i cant seem to find any useful material about the subject matter online.

if u ask me, they want to transfer the debt profile to foreign investor, yes they would clear off local debts but how would they raise funds to payback foreign debts in future. anyway our fingers are crossed,i hope the national assembly looks into this issue critically before endorsing it.

The issuing houses and the investment banks, packaging the deal would have looked at our ability of paying back the refinanced loan. Our ability to earn more dollars has increased with the current price of crude oil in the international market and all indicators are pointing to the fact that we are out of recession.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 7:22am On Aug 11, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

If the Treasury Bill is refinanced, the funds from the refinanced debt ie TB will be used to pay the local investors whenever their TB matures. Rather than Nigerians providing short term funds to FG, this will be done by foreigners and Nigerians who have access to forex.

I foresee a situation whereby yields on TB will reduce, forex may become scarce for local TB or Eurobond investors, thereby affecting the exchange rate.

The government is trying hard to promote the savings bond. The winners as a result of this proposed policy are the banks and Federal Government.

I see a situation whereby many A-list companies will come out for their corporate bonds and commercial papers, qualified state governments may also raise funds through bonds, l also see increase activities and returns from the stock market, hopefully things ought to start looking up in the real estate sectors.

In the first place, part of the rationale behind issuing NTB at such rates is to attract foreign investors to bring in USD. Upon maturity, these investors will repatriate the funds in USD which would have put a strain on USD supply. Meanwhile the CBN still needs to ensure exchange rate stability. Funding the FIs and sustaining the intervention in the fx market at the same time could be challenging.

So, floating a bond in USD to refinance was probably the best option to ensure dollar liquidity for the repatriation by FIs and the local fx market demand.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odaniel1(m): 9:59am On Aug 11, 2017
chyima:
I got below from stanbic @the secondary market, and invested my upfront interest for the 93 days,and I have be credited upfront from this also.Treasury bill is bae
Maturity. Tenor Discount Rate
9th November 2017 93.00. 17.20%
15th February 2018 191.00. 17.30%
26th July 2018 352.00. 17.9
i'm a bit stuck with how u make calculations for your yields, cld u hlp me throw more light?
Say i invest 500k just as you have done for 91 days @ 17%....hw much will i be expecting and can i just roll it over to another 91 days tenor and on and on like that?
Will appreciate your response maam, tnk u
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by redcap: 10:19am On Aug 11, 2017
TONY56:

That's good but were you credited with your upfront interest few day after?

They actually debited me Less my interest.
I have visited the bank they ask that I return later as they would have to copy a mail to head office and the the documents forwarded to them.thx bro.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 10:34am On Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the clarification.

Need to get something started while the rates are high...Scared of this new idea by FEC.

chukzyfcbb:

let me answer it straight. The "rates" are fixed.
if you get 18% for 364 and in 2wks time it changes to "15% , it doesn't affect your investment.

Now for the profit, remember you are paid upfront so what you receive upon maturity is your capital.
eg I invest 100,000 at 18% for 364days
interest is 18,000 , after charges it could be 17,000.
I will be paid this interest immediately if bid is successful
so at the end of the 364days my 100k will be refunded back to me. get it now?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gnykelly(m): 10:46am On Aug 11, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

They are only for qualified and sophisticated international investors.

Open your inner eyes, I see other opportunities for the smart investors in the Nigerian financial markets and investment terrain.

most people here don't even know how to calculate time value of money. though they maybe lucky with their past investment. don't recommend it for them. it is only meant for professionals.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gnykelly(m): 10:48am On Aug 11, 2017
olujaidi:

Why did you classify it junk?

the rules have changed and this is for professionals. if you don't know I would advise you to checkout.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 11:30am On Aug 11, 2017
odaniel1:

i'm a bit stuck with how u make calculations for your yields, cld u hlp me throw more light?
Say i invest 500k just as you have done for 91 days @ 17%....hw much will i be expecting and can i just roll it over to another 91 days tenor and on and on like that?
for 91days at that condition, you will earn bout 21,000naira

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:36am On Aug 11, 2017
gnykelly:

the rules have changed and this is for professionals. if you don't know I would advise you to checkout.
"CHECKOUT" of what?

tolajay:
Thanks for the clarification.

Need to get something started while the rates are high...Scared of this new idea by FEC.

scared of what?

SIMPLE... If they sell TBills below INFLATION RATE..most investors will pull out...that will afftect liquidity/cashflow for the govt.

They must continue TBills above inflation Rate . So they have found a cheaper source of loan to reduce the OVERALL COST of the loans....

18% TBills + 7% Int Bond = 25%

divide that by 2 to get the actual interest rate you get 12.5% for the next 3years...

but TBills stays above inflation Rate locally..

everybody wins...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 12:23pm On Aug 11, 2017
RealityShot:

"CHECKOUT" of what?

scared of what?

SIMPLE... If they sell TBills below INFLATION RATE..most investors will pull out...that will afftect liquidity/cashflow for the govt.

They must continue TBills above inflation Rate . So they have found a cheaper source of loan to reduce the OVERALL COST of the loans....

divide that by 2 to get the actual interest rate you get 12.5% for the next 3years...

everybody wins...

I truly like your outlook and analysis, but what borders me is why the govt chose to float the Savings bond below the inflation rate of 16.1% and still expect that retail investors for whom it is targetted would patronise same. If you ask me, their present discovery of a much discounted int bond to refinance their costs of loans may not so much scale down the rates at which local TBills are auctioned unless they care less about liquidity factor.

Overall though how can the implementation of the 2017 budget which is the driver for this fiscal initiatives drag down the inflation rate within the 6 months window left for this year?

Unless something dramatic occurs like a steady rise in the price of oil and a deliberate declaration of emergency on infrastructure development, the whole effort of raising funds and refinancing costs of loans would all crumble on the altar of misappropriation - a continuous cycle of liability.

I think i am even more concerned about how i can always cash in on any opportunity each step they take offers.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 12:28pm On Aug 11, 2017
RealityShot:

"CHECKOUT" of what?

scared of what?

everybody wins...
Slow down bruh, Its not a clause that inflation must always be under Tbills rate. In 2016, the first four months of last year had inflation over Tbills , yet investors were still falling over themselves to invest in Tbills.

Need to remind you that there has been pressures on the CBN to reduce their rates so that manufacturers can get loans at cheaper rates.

Now Tbills rate will gradually come down seeing that inflation is also decreasing judging by the stats from NBS, present bout 16.25% leaving investors with net profit of 2% after Tbills investment.

Now here is what I think, since euro bonds are to be issued more,
-it certainly means the govt will influence Tbills ( MPR) to be sold at reduced rate which will cause a ripple effect on inflation, causing inflation to fall.

- The exchange rate will improve knowing that foreign investors actually prefer Eurobonds to our stocks or debt instruments. Also causing another ripple effect in inflationary rates.

Its my prediction that Tbills rate will reduce from 18% to find stability at say 15% if they go ahead with their plan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abimbola01(m): 1:42pm On Aug 11, 2017
Greetings,
Please, How can someone invest in CBN OMO ?
Thanks

Please, any hint ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chyima(f): 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
odaniel1:

on 500k your return should be about 21250 with 17% as the interest for 91days,yes you can rollover either with your upfront if its above 100k depending on your bank minimum or at the end of the tenure of the existing investment with the initial capiltal

I do my treasury bill with stanbic ibtc and they have no option for re investment on their form ,so I invest in the primary market and receive my upfront ,with this upfront I reinvest in the secondary market cos I don't want to have access to the money for now and may not be able to wait till the next bidding in the primary market

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by wellsaid(m): 2:37pm On Aug 11, 2017
Good afternoon all, please which day of the week do you think is best for one who wants to buy TB on the secondary market? For example is like favorable to buy from the secondary market on Mondays or Fridays? Which day of the week is it highly probable to have the best interest rate in these banks or is it that there is no correlation between the days of the week and interest rates?

I use Stanbic and Diamond.

Second question is do you get your interest upfront when you buy from the secondary market? I will appreciate a quick answer. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 8:21pm On Aug 11, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Your projections are very good brother. Those are the possibilities.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
redcap:

They actually debited me Less my interest.
I have visited the bank they ask that I return later as they would have to copy a mail to head office and the the documents forwarded to them.thx bro.

Congratulations!!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

The issuing houses and the investment banks, packaging the deal would have looked at our ability of paying back the refinanced loan. Our ability to earn more dollars has increased with the current price of crude oil in the international market and all indicators are pointing to the fact that we are out of recession.

TB rates may drop to around 15% but that is not my headache. ....my wahala is the tenures, from the usual 91 - 364 days to 2 - 3yrs. That's outright crazy.

These woman minister is just scattering my 2018 projections.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odaniel1(m): 9:45pm On Aug 11, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

for 91days at that condition, you will earn bout 21,000naira
Thank you, God bless you...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odaniel1(m): 9:47pm On Aug 11, 2017
chyima:

on 500k your return should be about 21250 with 17% as the interest for 91days,yes you can rollover either with your upfront if its above 100k depending on your bank minimum or at the end of the tenure of the existing investment with the initial capiltal

I do my treasury bill with stanbic ibtc and they have no option for re investment on their form ,so I invest in the primary market and receive my upfront ,with this upfront I reinvest in the secondary market cos I don't want to have access to the money for now and may not be able to wait till the next bidding in the primary market
Far too kind, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 11, 2017
zamirikpo:

TB rates may drop to around 15% but that is not my headache. ....my wahala is the tenures, from the usual 91 - 364 days to 2 - 3yrs. That's outright crazy.

These woman minister is just scattering my 2018 projections.
it for the dollar loan ,tb main purpose is to tackle liquidity in Naira/inflation ,provide short term loan 1 year its universal

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 4:08am On Aug 12, 2017
Alikote:
it for the dollar loan ,tb main purpose is to tackle liquidity in Naira/inflation ,provide short term loan 1 year its universal

I don't understand......do u mean TB still remains max. 1yr tenure. I tot they changed it to btwn 2-3yr tenure.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 8:27am On Aug 12, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Slow down bruh, Its not a clause that inflation must always be under Tbills rate. In 2016, the first four months of last year had inflation over Tbills , yet investors were still falling over themselves to invest in Tbills.

Need to remind you that there has been pressures on the CBN to reduce their rates so that manufacturers can get loans at cheaper rates.

Now Tbills rate will gradually come down seeing that inflation is also decreasing judging by the stats from NBS, present bout 16.25% leaving investors with net profit of 2% after Tbills investment.

Now here is what I think, since euro bonds are to be issued more,
-it certainly means the govt will influence Tbills ( MPR) to be sold at reduced rate which will cause a ripple effect on inflation, causing inflation to fall.

- The exchange rate will improve knowing that foreign investors actually prefer Eurobonds to our stocks or debt instruments. Also causing another ripple effect in inflationary rates.

Its my prediction that Tbills rate will reduce from 18% to find stability at say 15% if they go ahead with their plan
AGREED

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 8:37am On Aug 12, 2017
Investnow2017:

I truly like your outlook and analysis, but what borders me is why the govt chose to float the Savings bond below the inflation rate of 16.1% and still expect that retail investors for whom it is targetted would patronise same. If you ask me, their present discovery of a much discounted int bond to refinance their costs of loans may not so much scale down the rates at which local TBills are auctioned unless they care less about liquidity factor.
savings bond covers a long period..2yrs
crude price can rise, Buhari can win again, many things can happen ..thats why the rate for long term investments must be lower.

i hate to say it but ELECTION PLANS have started!
everything the govt does now must be tied to 2019 elections.

This dollar Bond will expire AFTER that election, ring a bell?

On paper, its a good deal..FIs dont have to convert to Naira again
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by casiello(m): 9:07am On Aug 12, 2017
chyima:
I got below from stanbic @the secondary market, and invested my upfront interest for the 93 days,and I have be credited upfront from this also.Treasury bill is bae
Maturity. Tenor Discount Rate
9th November 2017 93.00. 17.20%
15th February 2018 191.00. 17.30%
26th July 2018 352.00. 17.9
Which branch?

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: freeman67, Akby(m), Macktaob(m), Foodempire and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.