Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,004 members, 7,845,246 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4479828 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (2238) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2017
Reyus:

The easiest way is just go and rob your bank. Then deposit the money into your bank account. Then apply for Tbills in the same bank..

Thank me later.. grin cheesy grin
jom28gy:
Did I asked question for joke?if you don't know you keep quite.

grin grin grin grin

Comic relieve......

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2017
Reyus:

The easiest way is just go and rob your bank. Then deposit the money into your bank account. Then apply for Tbills in the same bank..

Thank me later.. grin cheesy grin

This was exactly my thoughts (really verbatim),when I saw the post. People sometimes reason exactly the same way...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:30pm On Aug 13, 2017
casiello:

Which branch?
The branch is irrelevant in the sense that at that particular time, it's the same you will be given at any or all First Bank branches. It's an online information for ALL First bank branches.
What he got at the branch he visited will also be what you would have gotten too at that same time at ALL First Bank branches.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:47pm On Aug 13, 2017
jom28gy:
Did I asked question for joke?if you don't know you keep quite.

You caused it all.
It appears you are being lazy to do the needful.
If you had taken time to go and read from page 0, or approached your dictionary, you wouldn't be asking that question that has been answered severally on this forum.

Again how on earth can you be asking how one can get money to invest in it.? It's too funny a question that I think deserves the type of answer you got from him.

Sorry o if I sound harsh.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by casiello(m): 5:38pm On Aug 13, 2017
TONY56:

The branch is irrelevant in the sense that at that particular time, it's the same you will be given at any or all First Bank branches. It's an online information for ALL First bank branches.
What he got at the branch he visited will also be what you would have gotten too at that same time at ALL First Bank branches.
Ok then.. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 8:09pm On Aug 13, 2017
Hello all
I guess we all are still in the dark as to when this new policy will come into effect...Guess we we all should make hay while the sun still shines.. just saying
AkDave1:
Guys on this thread are the best ever...

Lets suppose the Plan of the finance ministry sees the light of day. When will the National assembly ratify it, and when will this take effect on the NTB market.

I think these info would help us make informed decisions and salvage what we have now.

Answers please!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 9:40pm On Aug 13, 2017
AkDave1:
Guys on this thread are the best ever...

Lets suppose the Plan of the finance ministry sees the light of day. When will the National assembly ratify it, and when will this take effect on the NTB market.

I think these info would help us make informed decisions and salvage what we have now.

Answers please!
3-6months max

they need that money to start election campaign by January...

they also have the power to fast track the ratification so 3 months is very possible
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ... 3 months at the least is still ok for us to take advantage... I am expecting higher rates before the enactment of the policy, possibly a resistance @ 19%, before we regress to a support @ the earlier suggested 16%... My thoughts though
RealityShot:

3-6months max

they need that money to start election campaign by January...

they also have the power to fast track the ratification so 3 months is very possible
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 10:12am On Aug 14, 2017
Gaddaffi121:
Thanks everyone for the education so far. I have spare cash of 1million naira. I recently approached my bank- stanbic ibtc for TB, The guy at d desk told me to do FD. I insisted on TB. When he saw i knew what i wanted, he angrily told me to come back on wednesday 16/8/2017 that there will be primary market opening that day. As a newbie, when should i arrive the bank? What and what should i ask for and what should i expect? I dont want to sell myself out as a novice on that day. Please hint me sirs. I know u guys have answered similar questions b4. But just refresh it. Thanks

The Secondary market is what is available with N1m thus you can make your purchase any day you want. Primary market bids start at N50.001m.

The guy at your stanbic bank is wasting your time and your funds will be in the account for a little longer with the bank if you wait endlessly for the primary market dates... (which might have been his objective)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 14, 2017
NL1960:

See the post above and the CBN NTB calendar below. I have a GTB 182-day TB maturing on 17/08/2017. So na una own TB money dem go take pay me on 17/08/2017. grin

My mum is in the first bank now and trying to bid for primary market but they told her that she can only go for secondary. What does she need to do?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 1:53pm On Aug 14, 2017
okochaik:

My mum is in the first bank now and trying to bid for primary market but they told her that she can only go for secondary. What does she need to do?

She should ask for what is available.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 14, 2017
Desanta:

She should ask for what is available.

Someone already told me that there is primary market on Wednesday. So why are they denying her the access to bid
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2017
Speak to the officer attending to her and make them understand that you want to go with the bank's rate for the upcoming bid. However,
note that there is no tenor for 364 days this week. Because this also might be the reason they are asking her to go for the secondary market.
okochaik:

Someone already told me that there is primary market on Wednesday. So why are they denying her the access to bid
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 2:03pm On Aug 14, 2017
okochaik:

Hmmmmmmmm. I do not know what to say to this. Maybe she should threaten to call their head office to find out.

modify: see what the above person AkDave1 said and act accordingly.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 14, 2017
AkDave1:
Speak to the officer attending to her and make them understand that you want to go with the bank's rate for the upcoming bid. However,
note that there is no tenor for 364 days this week. Because this also might be the reason they are asking her to go for the secondary market.

Okay thanks a lot. I will give her a call now. She is already on the line. Which person is she supposed to meey inside the bank?. She wants to apply for 182 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 14, 2017
NL1960:

Hmmmmmmmm. I do not know what to say to this. Maybe she should threaten to call their head office to find out.

modify: see what the above person AkDave1 said and act accordingly.

Thanks bro
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 2:12pm On Aug 14, 2017
jom28gy:
What is treasury bill?can someone explained it to me.and how do one get money to invest on it?
A short term instruments issued by Fg thru Cbn. Simply put it a way Govt also borrows.

Talk to your account officer for more or simply follow this thread.

If I have time, will share more info from the little knowledge I gather here.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C4Ltd: 2:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
please wit all the talk about restructuring maturity tenor et al is it RISK FREE to bid for tbills? I'm new and would like to do gtb tbills. can I go ahead?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PropertyAsset: 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
Your thought is in line AkDave1. Same as expected because the regress is almost certain.
AkDave1:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ... 3 months at the least is still ok for us to take advantage... I am expecting higher rates before the enactment of the policy, possibly a resistance @ 19%, before we regress to a support @ the earlier suggested 16%... My thoughts though
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 3:20pm On Aug 14, 2017
She can speak to anyone (staff).. preferably customer care, They would direct her to the appropriate quarters.
okochaik:

Okay thanks a lot. I will give her a call now. She is already on the line. Which person is she supposed to meey inside the bank?. She wants to apply for 182 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 14, 2017
AkDave1:
She can speak to anyone (staff).. preferably customer care, They would direct her to the appropriate quarters.

Thanks bro finally she went to another bank branch and the bid was successful at 17.0%. she was told to return to the bank on Thursday to check if the bid was successful. So finally I did my first TB investment.

A bottle of Guinness that have been very helpful here,. A grateful heart

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 4:58pm On Aug 14, 2017
AkDave1:
19%? Haha I understand you are Rates hungry but common that's not realistic, haven't you noticed that Tbills has bee dropping gradually?
19% is far-fetched and cannot happen atleast not this year
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stevemims(m): 5:20pm On Aug 14, 2017
okochaik:

Thanks bro finally she went to another bank branch and the bid was successful at 17.0%. she was told to return to the bank on Thursday to check if the bid was successful. So finally I did my first TB investment.

Hey bro/sis, could you please throw more light on how she got It done and what bank? From your previous posts I thought the TB was for her but reading through this I guess it's yours. Is there a possibility of parents or siblings helping to initiate the investment without being physically present?

I sent you a pm a though.

Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 5:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
Very welcome sir. Cheers!!!
okochaik:

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 5:31pm On Aug 14, 2017
Lol... I understand your point. What I'm projecting is that, following the skepticism that might trail the announcement of this new Policy, the CBN might need to entice the NTB subscribers, by further upping the Stop rates. So the 19% is a possibility (Best case scenario).
Just saying... grin
chukzyfcbb:

19%? Haha I understand you are Rates hungry but common that's not realistic, haven't you noticed that Tbills has bee dropping gradually?
19% is far-fetched and cannot happen atleast not this year
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 5:44pm On Aug 14, 2017
AkDave1:
Lol... I understand your point. What I'm projecting is that, following the skepticism that might trail the announcement of this new Policy, the CBN might need to entice the NTB subscribers, by further upping the Stop rates. So the 19% is a possibility (Best case scenario).
Just saying... grin
I still don't agree with you, The true yield of treasury bills is still above inflation rate, so to the savvy investors even a stop rate of 16.5% is still good because the true yield could be 17%+. And Also, inflation is also dropping gradually, so it will tell on the stop rates overtime.

Now speaking of investors, we don't know the ratio or volume of amount from foreign investors that's in Tbills, if the bond is issued to them at say 7%, they will grab it, because upon any further devaluation of the naira, the foreign investors will gain more should they convert the proceeds to naira.

so its a win-win situation. According to the DMO(Debt management office)
The ratio of Local:Foreign debt is presently at 83:14. The medium to long term strategy is to lower this to the agreed 60:40 ratio.

As for the rates I don't see it going high this year, its time to appease the foreigners so they can bring in enough dollars that our govt will use for election ,lol

The more dollars, the more improved our exchange rate. The less the MPR rates, the cheaper the loans accessible to people.

connect the dots!

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinnella(f): 6:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
I ve been following this thread for somedays now and decided to invest. Bankers played alot of pranks on me to do FD including giving me a FD form in place of T-bill form. But i overcame them. They informed me today that the max for 91days is 13‰, is that correct? Should i go for it?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
Well said!
chukzyfcbb:

I still don't agree with you, The true yield of treasury bills is still above inflation rate, so to the savvy investors even a stop rate of 16.5% is still good because the true yield could be 17%+. And Also, inflation is also dropping gradually, so it will tell on the stop rates overtime.

Now speaking of investors, we don't know the ratio or volume of amount from foreign investors that's in Tbills, if the bond is issued to them at say 7%, they will grab it, because upon any further devaluation of the naira, the foreign investors will gain more should they convert the proceeds to naira.

so its a win-win situation. According to the DMO(Debt management office)
The ratio of Local:Foreign debt is presently at 83:14. The medium to long term strategy is to lower this to the agreed 60:40 ratio.

As for the rates I don't see it going high this year, its time to appease the foreigners so they can bring in enough dollars that our govt will use for election ,lol

The more dollars, the more improved our exchange rate. The less the MPR rates, the cheaper the loans accessible to people.

connect the dots!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 6:09pm On Aug 14, 2017
zinnella:
I ve been follow this thread for somedays now and decided to invest. Bankers played alot of pranks on me to do FD including giving me a FD form in place of T-bill form. But i overcame them. They informed me today that the max for 91days is 13‰, is that correct? Should i go for it?

Which bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 14, 2017
stevemims:
Hey bro/sis, could you please throw more light on how she got It done and what bank? From your previous posts I thought the TB was for her but reading through this I guess it's yours. Is there a possibility of parents or siblings helping to initiate the investment without being physically present?

I sent you a pm a though.

Thanks.

Actually it is my money but since I am living abroad, there is no way I can access TB and so I told her to go and open an account with her name on first bank. So she is investing the money on my behave through her account. This is my first time doing TB and since I am not around it is her that know no knowledge about it will go to the bank and so it wasn't that easy. Well today she went to a First bank branch that is in my town and the banker told her that there is nothing like primary market and that primary market is done by the bank and then sell to customers in secondary market. Since I am sure that we can do primary market from what I have been reading here on Nairaland, I told her to insist and even threaten to withdraw all the money in that account and find another bank. Yet the banker insisted and tell her to shut down the account if she wants. No be small thingoo, I even began to doubt is a customer can bid in primary market.

But then I told her to go to another branch of first bank. When she got there, she told me that they give her primary bid form without any hustle. Also the the bank rate was 17.0% for 182 days. Finally her to come on Thursday to check if the bid was successful. I hope it will be

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinnella(f): 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
Investnow2017:

Which bank?
First bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C4Ltd: 6:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
zinnella:
I ve been following this thread for somedays now and decided to invest. Bankers played alot of pranks on me to do FD including giving me a FD form in place of T-bill form. But i overcame them. They informed me today that the max for 91days is 13‰, is that correct? Should i go for it?

same here o. They kept posting me saying I should do fd.

I went today too. 13% 91 days. Two banks confirmed last bid was about 13% for 91 days tenor. so go ahead. I've applied already

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (2238) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: SetrakusRa(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.