Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (446) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4447369 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinaunreal(m): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2017
GODAKPAN:

Fill another form and transact. Or you terminate the first one and apply with 1.2m u might incur loss by terminating before maturity. Best option is invest separately or run it to terminate with the previous, then you can invest both together
thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 7:12pm On Dec 21, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 11:54pm On Dec 21, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gare2510(m): 7:10pm On Dec 22, 2017
ARM Mutual Money Fund doing 17.6%. Interest paid quarterly

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinnella(f): 8:07pm On Dec 24, 2017
vitality22:

Honestly, you've said it all. I had to delve into crypto (bitcoin) with Usi-tech. My greatest regrets is not joining it early enough. I was busy doing Tbills only basically out of fear not to lose money. Bitcoin is now over $15,000. @Feelamong introduced bitcoin with Usi-tech to me.
Just request to be added to the Usi-tech whatsapp group, honestly you will learn alot and convinced to invest.
im interested in this
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 5:05am On Dec 25, 2017
New year's resolutions are typical for this period. As investors, for us, the typical would be new financial goals as well as new strategies of achieving them.
So, I'd like to drop some tips, please pick whatever makes sense to you, it'd be alright to ignore whichever.

1. If you've set a goal of financial independence, set a figure to it. $1mn, #100mn, whatever does it for you. Then know what percentage you're starting the year at, and which you wanna end it at. With 100mn, and a great investment plan, you can have a passive monthly income of about 1.2mn, and with $1mn, it'd be up to 4.2mn monthly.

2. Any investment portfolio in excess of 5m could use some diversification. But place a cap on your exposure to volatile assets. 20% in a bull market is fine for the average person. 80% may however be pretty safe and healthy if you're that kind of person. If the bears are here to stay, 0% may be necessary. Cash is king, capital preservation is Bliss. If yours is a smaller portfolio, and you're not a full time investor, you may yet stick to the money market. 20% of such portfolio may not be much anyways.

3. Watch out for bulls that may be nearing their end. A coin moved from about $1000 to $16000 in 2017, That's a 1500% increase. Could it move from 16000 to 256000 in 2018? if 24,000 is more like it, you can determine the attractiveness, and if you're into a HYIP that's based on it, you'd expect lower returns or a much reduced chance of sustainability compared to 2017.
Same goes for stocks, some which had up to 150% YTD some days in 2017, may be so close to the ceiling already, that you can at best make a 20% off them in the coming year.

4. Based on an elderly man's words, I have come to notice that "2^10" has a significance. The man said if you could double whatever money you had repeatedly for 20 cycles, #1,000 would become #1bn, I checked, it was true. By the same token I realized one could turn #1 mn to #1 trn.

But the issue is, the first few cycles are often easy, but afterwards, getting that next double may take just so long. So I figured since "2^10" =1024, it will only take 10 cycles to turn #100,000 to #100mn, and #1mn to # 1 bn. With God's help 10 cycles could happen for someone in 2,5,0r 10 years.

The man also mentioned that around '09/10, he lost about 11mn to the stock market and another 5m to Forex. That's not to say there aren't several peeps who make fortunes from these vehicles. It's just to highlight the need for caution.

5. In investment, percentage is one really important term in which you'll have to put things into perspectives.

6. Bears present great entry opportunities for most investments, but a better entry time would be just at the start of the bulls or soon afterwards. James O'Neill said if you believe in the long term potential of a company(he didn't mean start ups), you don't have to tie your money down on them, you'd still be able to get in just when things start to blossom.

7. A successful investment strategy does not lack simplicity. what make the difference are the right balance, and the perfect timing.

Finally, it's not just in knowing these thing. There are things that'll always be beyond our control in life, and those we could normally control may a times get out of control. Now God can help us handle them all, but we'll have to ask Him, and ask Him right.

It's 9 days to the next auction. 364day discount won't fall below 14%. That'll keep yields above 16%

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 6:43am On Dec 25, 2017
Happy Christ Mass!
And a Saviour was born on a day like this.. Pa Rum Pam Pam Pam!

remember my signature

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by harlee(m): 10:58am On Dec 25, 2017
awesomeJ:
New year's resolutions are typical for this period. As investors, for us, the typical would be new financial goals as well as new strategies of achieving them.
So, I'd like to drop some tips, please pick whatever makes sense to you, it'd be alright to ignore whichever.

1. If you've set a goal of financial independence, set a figure to it. $1mn, #100mn, whatever does it for you. Then know what percentage you're starting the year at, and which you wanna end it at. With 100mn, and a great investment plan, you can have a passive monthly income of about 1.2mn, and with $1mn, it'd be up to 4.2mn monthly.

2. Any investment portfolio in excess of 5m could use some diversification. But place a cap on your exposure to volatile assets. 20% in a bull market is fine for the average person. 80% may however be pretty safe and healthy if you're that kind of person. If the bears are here to stay, 0% may be necessary. Cash is king, capital preservation is Bliss. If yours is a smaller portfolio, and you're not a full time investor, you may yet stick to the money market. 20% of such portfolio may not be much anyways.

3. Watch out for bulls that may be nearing their end. A coin moved from about $1000 to $16000 in 2017, That's a 1500% increase. Could it move from 16000 to 256000 in 2018? if 24,000 is more like it, you can determine the attractiveness, and if you're into a HYIP that's based on it, you'd expect lower returns or a much reduced chance of sustainability compared to 2017.
Same goes for stocks, some which had up to 150% YTD some days in 2017, may be so close to the ceiling already, that you can at best make a 20% off them in the coming year.

4. Based on an elderly man's words, I have come to notice that "2^10" has a significance. The man said if you could double whatever money you had repeatedly for 20 cycles, #1,000 would become #1bn, I checked, it was true. By the same token I realized one could turn #1 mn to #1 trn.

But the issue is, the first few cycles are often easy, but afterwards, getting that next double may take just so long. So I figured since "2^10" =1024, it will only take 10 cycles to turn #100,000 to #100mn, and #1mn to # 1 bn. With God's help 10 cycles could happen for someone in 2,5,0r 10 years.

The man also mentioned that around '09/10, he lost about 11mn to the stock market and another 5m to Forex. That's not to say there aren't several peeps who make fortunes from these vehicles. It's just to highlight the need for caution.

5. In investment, percentage is one really important term in which you'll have to put things into perspectives.

6. Bears present great entry opportunities for most investments, but a better entry time would be just at the start of the bulls or soon afterwards. James O'Neill said if you believe in the long term potential of a company(he didn't mean start ups), you don't have to tie your money down on them, you'd still be able to get in just when things start to blossom.

7. A successful investment strategy does not lack simplicity. what make the difference are the right balance, and the perfect timing.

Finally, it's not just in knowing these thing. There are things that'll always be beyond our control in life, and those we could normally control may a times get out of control. Now God can help us handle them all, but we'll have to ask Him, and ask Him right.

It's 9 days to the next auction. 364day discount won't fall below 14%. That'll keep yields above 16%

first of all,merry Xmas and God bless.being realistic about option one, what investment do you advice on a capital of 1m and what if the capital is up to 5m

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CallofDuty(m): 11:06am On Dec 25, 2017
Please I heard minimum for NTB is now 50M cry cry cry Please how true can this be?? Merry Chistmas Everyone!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 1:40pm On Dec 25, 2017
harlee:
first of all,merry Xmas and God bless.being realistic about option one, what investment do you advice on a capital of 1m and what if the capital is up to 5m
Except you're exceptionally good with the stock market, 1m should be split between MMF and T-bills. 5m would allow more rooms for bonds and stocks. That's my take.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2017
awesomeJ:

Awesome
U r really awesome with ur analysis. First, merry Christmas and a prosperous New year.

Then have u any info. On trading the United States equities.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 3:22pm On Dec 25, 2017
zamirikpo:

Awesome
U r really awesome with ur analysis. First, merry Christmas and a prosperous New year.

Then have u any info. On trading the United States equities.
Not anything out of the ordinary, but in my opinion, the returns on NYSE can be quite modest compared to the NSE when it's having its bulls but having assets in the world's most significant currency sparkles.

perhaps you can google search this book. "how to make money in stocks-A winning strategy in good times or bad" by William J O'Neill. McGraw-Hill.
He covered everything from finding the right broker to picking winning stocks that could forever change one's fortunes.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vitality22(m): 10:57pm On Dec 25, 2017
zinnella:
im interested in this
Send me a whatsapp message on 08099663004 with your name and you will be added to the whatsapp group.
Cheers
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 25, 2017
I have 8 btc to sell in exchange for perfectmoney 1 btc $10,000 perfectmoney. Current price as at this moment is 13665 . Price was at 17,000+ when I bought it and I fear it would decline more. I need to keep my cash in perfectmoney so I can monitor the movement. I have lost alot already embarassed embarassed cry

Interested buyer should email me
geraldokwu@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 3:28am On Dec 26, 2017
nonsman07:
I have 8 btc to sell in exchange for perfectmoney 1 btc $10,000 perfectmoney. Current price as at this moment is 13665 . Price was at 17,000+ when I bought it and I fear it would decline more. I need to keep my cash in perfectmoney so I can monitor the movement. I have lost alot already embarassed embarassed cry

Interested buyer should email me
geraldokwu@gmail.com

Please ooh let me understand u. U bought 1 btc at $17,000 . And it has declined to $13000. So who will buy it now when it may further decline.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 3:30am On Dec 26, 2017
awesomeJ:

Not anything out of the ordinary, but in my opinion, the returns on NYSE can be quite modest compared to the NSE when it's having its bulls but having assets in the world's most significant currency sparkles.

perhaps you can google search this book. "how to make money in stocks-A winning strategy in good times or bad" by William J O'Neill. McGraw-Hill.
He covered everything from finding the right broker to picking winning stocks that could forever change one's fortunes.

Oh. Thanks my oga. I trade the us equities already I just wanted ur insight /analysis on possible plays for 2018.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mrkonibaje: 6:11am On Dec 26, 2017
Please how do I calculate my treasury bills yield if I choose the reinvest interest option on the FBN form?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by harlee(m): 9:43am On Dec 26, 2017
awesomeJ:

Except you're exceptionally good with the stock market, 1m should be split between MMF and T-bills. 5m would allow more rooms for bonds and stocks. That's my take.
aint good with bonds,stock or mmf.am familiar with tbills
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:27am On Dec 26, 2017
zamirikpo:

Oh. Thanks my oga. I trade the us equities already I just wanted ur insight /analysis on possible plays for 2018.
Then I should be the one learning from you. A scan through results for double digit EPS growth, or maybe a balance of Buffet's picks with yours.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:36am On Dec 26, 2017
harlee:
aint good with bonds,stock or mmf.am familiar with tbills
MMF is similar to T-bills, It's perhaps even simpler. Read up here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds/50
Being able to get bonds with less than 50m is the issue. otherwise, it's as easy as instructing your dealer.
Try stocks only when you have become versed enough about its workings. If you must do stocks, however with limited knowledge, then buy a good equities mutual fund, or maybe an exchange traded fund- whichever has good enough performance.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 26, 2017
mrkonibaje:
Please how do I calculate my treasury bills yield if I choose the reinvest interest option on the FBN form?

Am in this same class, someone please help
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 3:53pm On Dec 26, 2017
GODAKPAN:

Personally what I do as a layman is to calculate the expected upfront of the my initial capital with the rate and tenure already given.... e.g 100,000 @ 13.5% for 364 days (100000/100x13.5 = 13500) I will den do 13500/100x13.5=1822.5 then add both...

Accountants and mathematicians in the house have their separate was sha.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 5:33pm On Dec 26, 2017
GODAKPAN:

Read the first 10 pages of this thread for your answers.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 26, 2017
Investnow2017:

Read the first 10 pages of this thread for your answers.

thanks boss but no free tutorials?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 8:08pm On Dec 26, 2017
Is anyone asking you to pay in order to read page 0-10 of this thread?

Which other free tutorial are you asking for ?

GODAKPAN:

thanks boss but no free tutorials?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 26, 2017
amjustme2:
Is anyone asking you to pay in order to read page 0-10 of this thread?

Which other free tutorial are you asking for ?

JUST READ TO PAGE 12 YET NO ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, IS IT FAIR?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 8:44pm On Dec 26, 2017
GODAKPAN:

To avoid confusion and misinterpretation...i got dis post by feelamong here

How Do I Calculate The Returns On Investment?

Treasury bills are issued at a discount. Therefore, the yield that you get upon the maturity of the bill is the difference between the purchase price and the maturity price. For example, if you pay N95 (discount rate being 5%) for a Treasury bill with a face value of N100 at an auction for a 1-year Treasury bill, your yield to maturity, or amount earned if you hold the bond for one year, is [(N100-N95) / N95]x 100 = 5.26%.

lets say the discount rate is 15% for 1 year. For a N500,000 face value
you will pay N425,000.
if you hold to maturity = [(500,000-425,000)/425,000] * 100 = 17.64%

In essence if you hold for one year ur effective yield is N88,235.3

BTW.. dat 88k interets in the eg above is for the year o!!! not monthly abeg!! FGN no be money doublers naaa!!

They will actually pay both your upfront interest and principal into ur account at maturity.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 26, 2017
Investnow2017:

To avoid confusion and misinterpretation...i got dis post by feelamong here

How Do I Calculate The Returns On Investment?

Treasury bills are issued at a discount. Therefore, the yield that you get upon the maturity of the bill is the difference between the purchase price and the maturity price. For example, if you pay N95 (discount rate being 5%) for a Treasury bill with a face value of N100 at an auction for a 1-year Treasury bill, your yield to maturity, or amount earned if you hold the bond for one year, is [(N100-N95) / N95]x 100 = 5.26%.

lets say the discount rate is 15% for 1 year. For a N500,000 face value
you will pay N425,000.
if you hold to maturity = [(500,000-425,000)/425,000] * 100 = 17.64%

In essence if you hold for one year ur effective yield is N88,235.3

BTW.. dat 88k interets in the eg above is for the year o!!! not monthly abeg!! FGN no be money doublers naaa!!

They will actually pay both your upfront interest and principal into ur account at maturity.

THANKS A MILLION

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 9:18pm On Dec 26, 2017
Lol
No knowledge is waste

GODAKPAN:

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 12:18am On Dec 27, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 8:08am On Dec 28, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dalighieri: 2:58pm On Dec 28, 2017
bisiki2:
Thanks a lot bro I have done all that and followed all the processes.Please which brokerage firm can you recommend.seasons greetings to you and everyone in the house.

-To receive payment on all outstanding dividend, kindly take the following document to the attached address( fortunately, all your shares is housed under one registrars );
1) All dividend warrant with you
2) A valid means of identification
3) Passport photographs

Please note that between 2006 to date, NB and FBNH have both declared bonus shares.

- To divest some of your shareholding, you will need to open a Brokerage Account with a Stockbroking Firm assuming you don't have one already.

(1) (2) (3) ... (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.