Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (680) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4441415 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cooldudeng(m): 11:28am On Jan 25, 2019
cooldudeng:
I believe I-invest is backed by Sterling bank. Did one T-bill investment with them when they started and it was swift

The only reservation I have is that the interest earned is not upfront and even the rate on offer are also low

So if you are re-investing my interest, I expect a higher interest rate than what is applicable in the market, hence it’s just some FD with a rate higher than the banks

Please always do your DD before going into any investment vehicle

My comment above is not a recommendation but based on my personal experience

Also, Sterling bank has not come out to say they own it. However, attached is a survey I was sent after I exited my investment

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 25, 2019
cooldudeng:

Also, Sterling bank has not come out to say they own it. However, attached is a survey I was sent after I exited my investment

when my money got stuck, their customer care at Uyo office denied knowing them, that they are separate entity. As for me and my household, Sterling is just their banker just like they are to you and me. Anything you transact is strictly between both of you.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MCeemajesty(m): 12:10pm On Jan 25, 2019
Considering the volume of 1m (which is <50m min. bid volume in the treasury bills primary market auction as stipulated by CBN),you will be availed a secondary market rate at below 11%pa on treasury bills. My advise would be you go for a Fixed deposit with an investment house or Non-bank financial institution that invest in risk-free instrument(money market). Hope you find this helpful
Sunwa1:
Good morning TB investors,
Please, I need some clarifications, if I have a million naira tof run a short term investment for 90 days, which is preferable treasuring bill or fixed deposit

Please, what is the likely interest rates for 1million on a 90 days tenure in a fixed deposit and on a treasuring bill.

Thanks will appreciate if I get a comprehensive response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MCeemajesty(m): 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2019
You can invest it with Bismarck Rewane company-Financial Derivatives Company ltd- A licensed wealth mgt/investment company. I do use them and so far the service has been satisfactory with attractive rates. hope it helps
SolomonAdeola:
Hello fam...i just came across this wonderful family. I have 500k..pls what's the best way to invest it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Quincykay: 2:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
MCeemajesty:
Considering the volume of 1m (which is <50m min. bid volume in the treasury bills primary market auction as stipulated by CBN),you will be availed a secondary market rate at below 11%pa on treasury bills. My advise would be you go for a Fixed deposit with an investment house or Non-bank financial institution that invest in risk-free instrument(money market). Hope you find this helpful

Excellent advise.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 234ng44uk(m): 2:42pm On Jan 25, 2019
MCeemajesty:

You advised fixed deposit because he won't get more than 11% on treasury bills. No fixed deposit will pay more than 11% either. In fact he'll be lucky to get half of that.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 3:01pm On Jan 25, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
truth ,I took several calculate risk too both in stock ,trucks ,bond etc ...but I don't know if am even rich or not cos it feels same but the feelings is Good sha..i earn around 9m annually from money market after 7 years ,extreme investments addiction affected me for several years i was driving a Honda 2000,some time I don't even have a car I use cabs /and bike ...but after the death of my personal investment friend and seening how is work was wasted I started using the income on my self...

Hmm BOSS, you can balance your life! i came from a very poverty stricken home and i lost my dad when i was small so all i told myself is, guy you must fight poverty will all your blood and God of heaven answered my prayer and gave me investment ideas. The point am making is, there should be moderation in everything we do in life, anything we do in excess will not make our life be comfortable, i eat whatever i desired to eat and my young family are comfortable reasonably, also have a car which am using. One must invest smartly and not just bad wagon investment, you do not need to go hunger for you to achieve your investment plan. the bible says it is good for parents to leave inheritance for their children, all we need to do is to let the know how money works right from their cradle, we should teach them how to grow money and invest same. If we do that, they will be able to manage whatever is left behind. You can enjoy your life without necessarily kill the chicken laying the egg. Eg. if i plan to buy jeep this year very possible without touching my investment capital How? ok i pulled out about 14m from both my tb and savings to invest in capital market and am buying just GTB, ZENIT and UBA. with my calculation, i will get 1.2m in dividend and about 5m in capital appreciation. Mind you, i positioned at the right time and all those stock mentioned are all looking up and i believe they would after the election so 14+5+1.2=20m if i take 20m to tb at 14.25% for 364 i will have 2.8m and buy whatever jeep i want to buy without touching the capital. So one can have a balanced life while investing.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dammybrite: 3:48pm On Jan 25, 2019
Can't he bid at the bank's rate in the primary market?
MCeemajesty:

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 234ng44uk(m): 4:09pm On Jan 25, 2019
dammybrite:
Can't he bid at the bank's rate in the primary market?

Exactly what I'm saying. Highest fixed deposit for that amount that I know if is Diamond HIDA at 4.5%. How is that better than even the worst treasury bills out there?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 4:17pm On Jan 25, 2019
madakiagwom:
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/06/06/olusoga-i-invest-will-enrich-nigerians/?amp
EVERYONE...
this is a sign that this company will scam people!

they are advertising it as "make-money-system"!

beware

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 4:29pm On Jan 25, 2019
Gavrelino123:

Thanks dipoolowoo.....At least we are most certain of getting 15% for 364 days in the next primary markets auctions.....God bless our investments.

You are not certain of anything these days...

Yields in the Secondary markets are coming down...seem our foreign brothers are already shopping once again ahead of the Presidential elections..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 4:55pm On Jan 25, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
truth ,I took several calculate risk too both in stock ,trucks ,bond etc ...but I don't know if am even rich or not cos it feels same but the feelings is Good sha..i earn around 9m annually from money market after 7 years ,extreme investments addiction affected me for several years i was driving a Honda 2000,some time I don't even have a car I use cabs /and bike ...but after the death of my personal investment friend and seening how is work was wasted I started using the income on my self...

I have a large family ,so i spend half of my tb intrest every year while i reinvest the rest. When it comes to works,i literally work my bones out, but when it comes to enjoyment, i don't look back as long as i have d funds. Cld hear some waiter's discuss me when i visit their eatry every Sunday with my family, i don't give a damn, if it's worked for, it must be enjoyed while I'm Alive not dead. The only things for now I kinda slow down to acquire are xpensive cars, it raises eyebrow, especially if living in not too porshd Area (i belong to that schl of thought : of living simple outside but enjoy deeply inside) , so i say to my self, i have to relocate b4 i get a new whip. I will work hard, even harder then go get those things my heart desires.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MCeemajesty(m): 5:32pm On Jan 25, 2019
There are investment companies that give as high as that on TD, if not more. You can enquire further, best rates are given by Non-banking financial institutions
234ng44uk:

You advised fixed deposit because he won't get more than 11% on treasury bills. No fixed deposit will pay more than 11% either. In fact he'll be lucky to get half of that.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:14pm On Jan 25, 2019
Akin3891:

I have a large family ,so i spend half of my tb intrest every year while i reinvest the rest. When it comes to works,i literally work my bones out, but when it comes to enjoyment, i don't look back as long as i have d funds. Cld hear some waiter's discuss me when i visit their eatry every Sunday with my family, i don't give a damn, if it's worked for, it must be enjoyed while I'm Alive not dead. The only things for now I kinda slow down to acquire are xpensive cars, it raises eyebrow, especially if living in not too porshd Area (i belong to that schl of thought : of living simple outside but enjoy deeply inside) , so i say to my self, i have to relocate b4 i get a new whip. I will work hard, even harder then go get those things my heart desires.
who are my type ....a Benz is tempting me ..but it might raise eyebrow
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by janga(m): 6:48pm On Jan 25, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
who are my type ....a Benz is tempting me ..but it might raise eyebrow

brother no be only you Benz dey temp undecided
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:54pm On Jan 25, 2019
So buhari has suspended ononghen and the Niger Delta boys warned there could b grave consequence, I know this is not a political thread but I think we can analyse the effect.

1. I pray this doesn't lead to social instability because the judiciary is threatening strike, the southern governors have warned against this decision.
2. What does this do to the availability of forex and foreign direct investment viz a vis liquidity.

Personally I hope and pray peace and order is maintained ooh. I don't understand this buhari man.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 11:16pm On Jan 25, 2019
zamirikpo:
So buhari has suspended ononghen and the Niger Delta boys warned there could b grave consequence, I know this is not a political thread but I think we can analyse the effect.

1. I pray this doesn't lead to social instability because the judiciary is threatening strike, the southern governors have warned against this decision.
2. What does this do to the availability of forex and foreign direct investment viz a vis liquidity.

Personally I hope and pray peace and order is maintained ooh. I don't understand this buhari man.

I see you already told us this is not a political thread but you still went on to post controversial political issue on it. It would have been better if you open a thread for then invite those who are interested in the discussion...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 12:33am On Jan 26, 2019
freeman67:

I see you already told us this is not a political thread but you still went on to post controversial political issue on it. It would have been better if you open a thread for then invite those who are interested in the discussion...
Oga freeman as your name implies,There are exemptions to some political posts.....What @ Zamirikpo posted is an issue we all need to analyse and deliberate on...Because whether we like it or not,it has an effect on our investments....Just take it real slow brother.
Nigeria is probably headed to anarchy.
God bless our investments.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 2:15am On Jan 26, 2019
234ng44uk:

Exactly what I'm saying. Highest fixed deposit for that amount that I know if is Diamond HIDA at 4.5%. How is that better than even the worst treasury bills out there?
Best fixed deposit for NGN1million we know of is 10.5%p.a. from Ecobank (30 - 90) days. However, like you say, it does not beat the tbills rates available, especially as it falls to 9.45%p.a. after 10% withholding tax is deducted.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by speak2lift: 2:21am On Jan 26, 2019
Its not realistic comparing a product offering from a bank licensed by CBN to a junk product(MMM) which everyone knew from day one was fraudulent.

Because Sterling isnt in the same league as the likes of GT, Stanbic and the likes doesn't mean they should be relegated to MMM level. Comeon!!!

RealityShot:
please stop preaching that app here.

that is how hMMM started.. And later killed people!

be warned...

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 2:25am On Jan 26, 2019
cooldudeng:

Just like the appearance of Sterling in that survey, I-Invest is now listed at the bottom of Sterling's investment page: https://sterlingbankng.com/personal/investment/. That still does not mean they explicitly declare ownership.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 2:39am On Jan 26, 2019
LadyBeee:
please which bank is offering 15%?
If you are interested in the Secondary Market, the most generous rates we typically see come from Wema Bank; they had 14.83% for 273 days on 17th, a day after the last primary auction. More recently, 2 days ago (24th), UBA had 14.5% for 350 days.

It is currently more common to find 14% rates for 300-360 days. Before the auction, it was closer to 14.25-14.4% for that same duration. Maybe banks expect rates in 30th January's auction to come in lower than the 16th...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by speak2lift: 2:46am On Jan 26, 2019
I certainly agree with this. Life is a gift and one should ensure we create time to enjoy oneself in moderation.

I particularly agree with the bit that says "you slow down in the acquisition of expensive cars" and also just like you I do not deny myself of little treats every now and then.

I have come to a point in my life where I now believe cars are overated especially in this Nigeria...my philosophy now is to maintain the car I have and focus on other pleasures most especially travelling and seeing beautiful places in the world(and there are quite a no of them) and its even more surprising that within the range of 750k to 1M, you can have an amazing trip. And all this whilst I keep devoting at least 50% of my income to low risk savings(Tbills, Eurobonds and MMF). 50% Yeap- The trick is to focus on basic necessities and do not strive to show off or impress anyone. Do good to those around you in a quiet manner and enjoy your money low key.

Kudos to everyone who has been keeping this thread alive. And finally always remember to commit your investment into Gods hands.

Cheers guys

Akin3891:

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 3:36am On Jan 26, 2019
eghos24:
Please what's the difference between primary and secondary?
I have a million naira to invest. How do you advice I go about it.
There are a few:

Amount
Primary - 50m to participate directly, but banks pool funds so accept as low as N10k (UBA etc.)
Secondary - 250m to participate directly, but banks pool funds so accept as low as N100k (Access, Diamond, Ecobank, FirstBank, Heritage, Stanbic IBTC, Sterling, Union, Wema, etc.)
You - have N1million, I believe most banks, if not all, accept this or less for either Primary or Secondary.

Tenor
Primary - 91, 182 and 364 days
Secondary - 7 to 364 days
You - want less than 91days, or any duration less than a year but not fixed at 91, 182, or 364, then you will have to go secondary. Note TBills mature typically every other Thursday, so you can pick an ideal date for getting back your capital with Secondary market which gives more flexibility.

Availability
Primary - typically sold 2wice a month, every other Wednesday and becomes effective Thursday
Secondary - available as much as every working day, effective same day
You - dont want your million earning 4.2-6% or less before the next auction on 30th Jan, and you dont have a high earning suitable MMF you can pay into and withdraw from in a timely fashion, without charge, then consider investing secondary instead.

Cost / Deductions at start
Secondary can be just marginally/negligibly cheaper as at least some banks do not charge you Commission Fees, and 5% VAT on (Transaction/Processing Fees & Custodian/Safe Keeping Fees).See post by teeielts360 on page 676 https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/675.
You - have a per-minute sim, and cry when you hang up a call & notice you had just exceeded the minute mark by 3seconds. Or just believe every little helps. Then, for some banks 14.2% for 364 days in secondary market is better than 14.2% for 364 days in primary market. E.g., you might not be charged the N100 commission fee in the secondary market.

Risk should be same as ultimately, the FGNigeria owes you, is the issuer. Not the bank, so should be one of the lowest risk investment as FGNigeria also supplies the local currency/Naira on which tbills is based.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 4:12am On Jan 26, 2019
freeman67:

If u have foresight u would know that this move can destabilize democracy as we know it, there by endangering our investments. Imagine if blowing up of pipelines resume in the Niger Delta in protest, don't u think it will affect our oil exports and cash flow....

This move has further created a divide between the north and southern part of Nigeria. Remember our investments is insured by Nigeria.

I pray for peace and stability , in the interest of our investment.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 4:12am On Jan 26, 2019
Gavrelino123:

Oga freeman as your name implies,There are exemptions to some political posts.....What @ Zamirikpo posted is an issue we all need to analyse and deliberate on...Because whether we like it or not,it has an effect on our investments....Just take it real slow brother.

Thank you jare.....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 4:45am On Jan 26, 2019
Gavrelino123:

In fairness to freeman, we shouldn't allow this thread to be politicised. We should leave all political statements to the politics section. Once we allow political debate, I can assure you that we will digress into the murky water of politics and this thread will lose its purpose. Some of us are PDP members and some are APC and other political parties. We should see ourselves as one here. We are here to save our investments and make some coins at the same time. The only language we understand here is how to make money while our capital is intact.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 7:17am On Jan 26, 2019
If blowing up the pipelines will raise $1 = N1000 over short term. Let them do it jare.

We don tire.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 8:10am On Jan 26, 2019
Agbaletu:

In fairness to freeman, we shouldn't allow this thread to be politicised. We should leave all political statements to the politics section. Once we allow political debate, I can assure you that we will digress into the murky water of politics and this thread will lose its purpose. Some of us are PDP members and some are APC and other political parties. We should see ourselves as one here. We are here to save our investments and make some coins at the same time. The only language we understand here is how to make money while our capital is intact.
In fairness..?....lol
Well,i understand your plight in positive terms.
Any politics that has an effect on our Economy shouldn't be overlooked!!!!!
Look @ Zamirikpo posts and count how many times he has posted about unnecessary politics on this thread....."That is true fairness"
It's not all about making money.....You should also know about the value of money your are investing and the best timing to invest.
If these southern guys start their regular bombing of oil installations vigorously,"God forbid" naira depreciates to 400 per dollars.....and one just recently suscribed a TB of 364 days tenure,isn't it a loss..?
We should be very vigilant this period of election so that we won't be taken by suprise or invest wrongly.
One should also know when to give certain exemptions to political posts that is critical to our economy on this thread..
Happy weekend's.

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:51am On Jan 26, 2019
I am a lover and follower of this thread and want to invest in treasury bills as soon as I can. I have made this thread part of my favourite over a couple of months since I knew about this thread. Please I know we all belong to one party or another and emotions are rising because of the suspension of CJN. I will not support or oppose that move here because I am here to learn all I can about TB and make long term investment. Let us all in everything we do not allow this thread to go up in flames of politics.

We can discuss how whatever bad or good situation will help us make more money from the economy. Bad news is good news, depending on how you see it. We should discuss on how any news will benefit us by taking quick action on liquidating and reinvesting instead of always calling out Government or Opposition which will degenerate into political threads

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 9:54am On Jan 26, 2019
Why are most people misunderstanding @zamirikpo's post? He did not ask anybody to start discussing politics but to talk about how the politics in the coming days could affect our investments. I don't think that's wrong in anyway, but as usual, the many emotional people we have here will always allow their emotions go before them.

For instance, I'm thinking of going to the bank on Monday or Tuesday to fill a form for 364 days bid. But honestly, my mind is telling me to still wait a bit.

Anyway, if I pray to my ancestors from today till tomorrow and they give me a go ahead, I'll fill the form and face the consequences, whether good or bad.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by saipn: 10:09am On Jan 26, 2019
Grupo:
Why are most people misunderstanding @zamirikpo's post? He did not ask anybody to start discussing politics but to talk about how the politics in the coming days could affect our investments. I don't think that's wrong in anyway, but as usual, the many emotional people we have here will always allow their emotions go before them.

For instance, I'm thinking of going to the bank on Monday or Tuesday to fill a form for 364 days bid. But honestly, my mind is telling me to still wait a bit.

Anyway, if I pray to my ancestors from today till tomorrow and they give me a go ahead, I'll fill the form and face the consequences, whether good or bad.
lol so it is the issue of CJN that will collapse Nigeria? you are funny....

(1) (2) (3) ... (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Chudymario, emmasoft(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.