Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk - Health (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (8130326 Views)

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) / Can I Still Get Pregnant Or Do I Remove The Fibroid / Revealed: The Secret Fertility System That Cures Infertility & Get You Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (6954) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 10:24pm On Apr 11, 2012
@Efemena i added you mommy wink forgive me for forgetting
@ Blank do they offer the steroid injections in Nigeria? If yes @ what gestationla age is it allowed? I know in Canada if the baby is considered high risk they give the shot at 24 weeks gestation
@ all you guys are mentioning some real big babies OMG shocked shocked
@ tessy girl i hope LO comes soon, hopefully youll let us know how the labour goes, safe delivery momma.
@imurboss, low bp is common in first tri, but low bp is certainly better than high bp ooo
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by EfemenaXY: 10:27pm On Apr 11, 2012
agiboma: @Efemena i added you mommy wink forgive me for forgetting
@ Blank do they offer the steroid injections in Nigeria? If yes @ what gestationla age is it allowed? I know in Canada if the baby is considered high risk they give the shot at 24 weeks gestation
@ all you guys are mentioning some real big babies OMG shocked shocked
@ tessy girl i hope LO comes soon, hopefully youll let us know how the labour goes, safe delivery momma.
@imurboss, low bp is common in first tri, but low bp is certainly better than high bp ooo

Lol! No worries but I had her in Feb, not April o! smiley
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 10:53pm On Apr 11, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Lol! No worries but I had her in Feb, not April o! smiley

OMG sorry I corrected it feb 2012 smiley
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by imurboss: 11:43pm On Apr 11, 2012
Thanks Agiboma,I'm in my 2nd trimester and dat phrase 'Too Low' scares d living daylight out of me
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 2:11am On Apr 12, 2012
imurboss: Thanks Agiboma,I'm in my 2nd trimester and dat phrase 'Too Low' scares d living daylight out of me
ok what is your normal bp prior to pregnancy, some people naturally have low bp by nature. Are you drinking more fluids, try to drink @ least minimum 1.5Liters a day. Normal bp is anywhere from 120/60 - 140/80 this is considered to be normal.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by blank(f): 3:58am On Apr 12, 2012
imurboss: Thanks Agiboma,I'm in my 2nd trimester and dat phrase 'Too Low' scares d living daylight out of me

Ask your doctor. If i was the one i won't have left that place without him explaining the implications and what i can do better. Pls, go back and ask.

@ Agiboma, it is not all hospitals and then their policies are different. The one my cousin used started giving her at 30 weeks. Luckily she gave birth at 38weeks. My own hospital don't give except there is absolutely no way around it.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by olamide123: 7:31am On Apr 12, 2012

When I had low bp in pregnancy, I was told to stand up slowly as there is a tendency to feel dizzy. Also, to increase my salt intake moderately. But then again, our cases may be different. I think you should consult your doctor for advise...and yea, like Aigboma said, it's way better than high bp wink
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by diamondlove: 8:36am On Apr 12, 2012
walks in singing. . . . .
what more can i do
sobs and continues singing
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by imurboss: 9:32am On Apr 12, 2012
well i asked him and he said i have to be taking lots of water and enough rest too. Thanks all
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 11:42am On Apr 12, 2012
imurboss: well i asked him and he said i have to be taking lots of water and enough rest too. Thanks all

Do you know what your bp was prior to pregnancy because you can compare to see if there is a significant difference, like i said some people naturally have low bp and you could be one of them. Bu you should just follow his advice, try not to worry and enjoy your pregnancy.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by imurboss: 12:23pm On Apr 12, 2012
Thanks Agiboma,well i don't know what it was before now but i just know this is the first time he's telling me about that since i've been visiting,i think i will just follow his advice,thanks alot Agiboma.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ayobarmy(m): 1:48pm On Apr 12, 2012
Pls mummys in the house, help me on this issue; can some1 knows how many weeks she is pregnant with scan result? Or how best can i know? Pls i need answer asap.... May God bless u all
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by EfemenaXY: 2:11pm On Apr 12, 2012
ayobarmy: Pls mummys in the house, help me on this issue; can some1 knows how many weeks she is pregnant with scan result? Or how best can i know? Pls i need answer asap.... May God bless u all

A good indication is to start by calculating from when she saw her LMP (Last Menstrual Period).

But in answer to your question, yes - the scan result would give a fairly accurate result as it's based on certain measurements taken.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ayobarmy(m): 2:21pm On Apr 12, 2012
@efe, sorry for bothering u, but does this mean that the scan result can be relied on? Because i have heard many times that scan dates are just mere quessing
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by blank(f): 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2012
ayobarmy: @efe, sorry for bothering u, but does this mean that the scan result can be relied on? Because i have heard many times that scan dates are just mere quessing

Scan dates are more accurate than the calculation based on LMP. It will definitely tell you how many weeks you are. However, no matter how accurate the scan is, the baby will come whenever he pleases and does not care about your dates.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ayobarmy(m): 2:44pm On Apr 12, 2012
Thanks @ efe, why am askin all this question is becuz her she was told her cervix has slightly open last weeks meanwhile, she she isnt sure of how many weeks she is, and she was ask to go for another scan on 9th of this month and the result shows 33weeks +4days, now am praying she stays another 2weeks b4 my big boy finnally arrive.... But they keeps telling her in her clinic that "no problem".. Am scared
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2012
@ayobarmy please try to calm down and dont be afraid, I want to tell you even if your baby comes @ 34 weeks it is ok. The baby has avoided a lot of complications that are often associated with premature birth. My son came way before 34 weeks and to g-d be the glory he is 20 months and doing great. Your wife and son will be just fine. The rule of thumb is that an ultrasound can determine the gestational age ( give or take 2 weeks, so on the plus side she can actually be 35 weeks 4days, but on the negative side she can be 31 weeks and four days)

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by biddiebest: 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2012
@ Ayobarmy, relax all will be well, when i did my 1st scan, it was d exact duration (weeks)with the calculation from my LMP, i think d scan result can be accurate, depending on.......had my 1st child on my EDD
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by EfemenaXY: 6:35pm On Apr 12, 2012
ayobarmy: @efe, sorry for bothering u, but does this mean that the scan result can be relied on? Because i have heard many times that scan dates are just mere quessing

@ Ayobarmy, no worries at all. I'm guessing this is your wife / partner's pregnancy?

The Ultrasound scan results are fairly accurate and can be relied on. However as mentioned, your son would come when he is ready and this could be a couple of days before or after the EDD (Expected Due Date). But I wouldn't worry too much about it because modern science has come a long way and babies born prematurely at 26weeks have a good chance of surviving. (I think it's called viable? Not sure.)

ayobarmy: Thanks @ efe, why am askin all this question is becuz her she was told her cervix has slightly open last weeks meanwhile, she she isnt sure of how many weeks she is, and she was ask to go for another scan on 9th of this month and the result shows 33weeks +4days, now am praying she stays another 2weeks b4 my big boy finnally arrive.... But they keeps telling her in her clinic that "no problem".. Am scared

I think what you mean here is that her cervix is a couple of centimetres dilated. Again this is normal at this stage in pregnancy as it's quite common to find expectant mums could be up to 4 or 5 cm dilated for two weeks or so before the baby comes smiley. Again, I don't think you've got any reason to be scared my brother. The most important thing here is that mother and baby are healthy.

Come to think of it, my kids were way past 40 weeks. I even had a 41+5 baby! Anyway good luck with the scan and best wishes for a safe delivery! smiley
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ayobarmy(m): 6:54pm On Apr 12, 2012
Ok mums, but i still have 1 more question, is it possible for her carry my big boy for at least another 4 weeks? With her cervix already slightly open? And her clinic never mention anything like BEDREST. But i dont like it when my wife complain of anything most expecially pain in her back&lower abdomen....... U knw how it is as a first timer
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by EfemenaXY: 7:12pm On Apr 12, 2012
ayobarmy: Ok mums, but i still have 1 more question, is it possible for her carry my big boy for at least another 4 weeks? With her cervix already slightly open? And her clinic never mention anything like BEDREST. But i dont like it when my wife complain of anything most expecially pain in her back&lower abdomen....... U knw how it is as a first timer

Lower back pain is common at the later stages of pregnancy due to the increased weight of the baby.

I don't know about pains in the lower abdomen. That, I suggest you both speak to her doctor about it.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ayobarmy(m): 8:29pm On Apr 12, 2012
Thanks @ all for your prompt answer, may God be with you all......
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 8:49pm On Apr 12, 2012
ayobarmy: Thanks @ all for your prompt answer, may God be with you all......

@ayobarmy please just enjoy the rest of the pregnancy ooo, come back and tell us about the labor, your wife may just go over term i have herd of women that carry for many more weeks even after the cervix open. My only suggestion in terms of medication to prevent the cervix from opening is "progesterone" specifically p17 injection, i am not sure if they are available in Nigeria.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by avatur: 9:13pm On Apr 12, 2012
I've been following this thread since day 1 and thorougly enjoyed every single story, entry and expecting parents. Kudos to agiboma for handling the captain's rudder. I'm a regular Nlder but didn't want to post with my ID cos of privacy issues so I'll use this one for posting on this topic smiley. Sorry it'll be a bit long but I just gotta share this one lol.

I am 7mths pregnant, 31 weeks to be exact, and this is my first. My due date in somewhere in the middle of June and I cannot wait to see the face of this little warrior, troublemaker, angel, acrobat, kickboxer etc etc cheesy that has given me the toughest time of my life. When they say every woman's pregnancy is different it is 1000% true. Before I got pg, I was in perfect health and perfect shape, worked out 3days a week, and played high activity tennis & bball the other 3 days of the week, sunday was my only 'rest day'. But this pregnancy has so humbled me ehn lol.

My symptoms began almost immediately, ~2-3 weeks PG, I started experiencing dizzyness and increased heart rate. The real wahala begun around 6weeks. And here's my hug to Diamondlove here, I had the worst morning sickness you can imagine and it was in full force thru the first 4months, and then slowly waned off till I hit 6mths. I was so sick, I was throwing up every single day for months, at least 4-5 times a day. I would go for days without eating, and the little I could eat after those days, I'd end up dumping in the toilet. I lost a good 15pounds, and I am a slim person to begin with so I looked just horrible lol. I would even wake up in the middle of the night to vomit lol. I dunno why they call it morning sickness, mine seemed to increase thru the day. All those treatments they suggest like 'eating small meals, taking crackers, using lemons, sucking candy etc etc' there was nothing I didn't try and absolutely nothing worked for me. The best advice I can give someone going thru it is to 'distract yourself'! I was still going to work the entire time (I don't even know how I survived lol and I probably would not do so again cos looking back I was pushing myself too hard, lunch time at work produced all kinds of smells from food that would send me vomiting so I'd spend lunch time sittin in my car), but don't dwell on how sick you are, it'll just make you more miserable. They say while 50% of women will experience MS, only ~1% will get this sick - I honestly think God was humbling me lol. I still tried to exercise, but it made me even sicker when I would leave the gym that I had to stop completely and gosh I miss it...anyways I can look back and laugh now but I was more miserable than the word miserable. My husband was my only lifeline and I don't know how I could've survived without him.

There is no symptom I haven't battled or currently battling. First 6mths: Nausea, lack of appetite (till now self) dizzyness, heartrate (the kind that feels like your chest will explode lol), that weird 'cold/throat thing' that parks itself at the back of your throat (I'd wake up unable to breathe becos mucus would block my airway (not fun at all), ear popping (lol just be happy if you don't know what this is), sleeplessness, swollen gums, migraines, and then these weird 'attacks' as I came to call it- a sudden onset of fever, dizzyness and extreme pain with the feeling like the temp just went up 10degrees that would make me close to fainting and then poof in a matter of minutes it would be gone (I had many close calls in public places, na to just strong face, take off whatever clothing I could, pray & find a chair to pass the storm) - kai! this child has suffered me lol.

6mths and counting: thank God most of the nausea is gone, just the occasional episode. My daily issues now are mostly back pains, siatic nerve pain (the most painful symptom now), carpal tunnel (swollen hands) occasional migraine and extreme fatigue - but this is a walk in the park compared to the earlier stuff. I still don't eat very much and I'm always wondering how other pregnant women say they can't stop eating, where is the space to force the food down? lol. I've gained 20pounds exactly from my regular weight and the doc says I have about 10more to go.

Finally and the best part, The Baby: The baby is healthy!!! cheesy and that is the one joy that has sustained me thruout. We don't know if its a boy or girl (we're going to be suprised) but this child can KICK!!! what! lol. The first kick I felt was powerful at exactly 4months, it wasn't a little butterfly swipe, no, a full fledged karate roundhouse kick that left me tearing with joy. Infact it is squirming around as I type this lol. My baby is very active and constantly moves - squirms, kicks, punches, runs - yes oh, quick fast movements that feel like its running lol, jabs etc etc I was so concerned it was overactive but the doc says there's no such thing as a 'too active baby' that its a good sign. I just love watching it on the surface of my tummy, my husband and I touch and try to figure out if its its fingers, head, limb etc lol, and you can tell! My husband loves to talk to it, telling it to kick me whenever I 'misbehave' lol, to which I reply, I'm kicked all day anyways lol. The baby also loves to play with/around my belly button, almost like it'd grab a nerve/muscle there and just pull, gosh its so cute but sooo painful. And it has a lil attitude too, when its poking out (head, hand, leg) I gently push it in, it responds by giving me a strong resounding kick! and then I tell it, see this one, you'll come and meet me soon then your shakara will stop cheesy.

All in all, I just can't wait to hold my baby, its been a long and arduos journey but I will do it again cos I want more kids. To all the expecting mamas and papas, may God bless you all and guide your pregnancies, it will be well and you will hold your babies with joy. Amen! smiley

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by avatur: 9:13pm On Apr 12, 2012
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 4:35am On Apr 13, 2012
@ Avatur welcome and congrats on your pregnancy, ahh yes enjoy it my Lo is 20 months and he is awake and running around the house he refuse to sleep @ night, so try to enjoy the sleep now while you still can. wink
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by diamondlove: 9:12am On Apr 13, 2012
Wow
AVATUR, wonderful experience

well mothers
i have stopped taking my pills cos i noticed it makes me puke
pregcare and folic acid
i hide it from mum and elder cousin, gd lord, i cant stand it
now wat can i tk dat wont mk me puke
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Ib(f): 1:44pm On Apr 13, 2012
@Diamondlove....you could try taking your pills just before you sleep instead of taking it in the morning. It worked for me!
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Dudugirl01(f): 8:24pm On Apr 13, 2012
Hi all how's it going? Hope ok? Been a bit down lately, and my boo has been a hanful, just checking
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by agiboma(f): 3:02am On Apr 14, 2012
@ Ib great advice for diamond
@dudugirl, oooo ((hugs)) i hope you feel better soon. Whats wrong if you dont mind me asking? Are you feeling a bit sad or is it pain?
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ayobarmy(m): 11:25am On Apr 14, 2012
Singing::.::...: Come and joy me sing halleluyah ooooo, Jehovah jaire has done me well::......... The ever faithful God has finnally done it, My wife delivered a bouncing baby boy yesternight and according to the news reaching me dis morning, both the mother and the baby are doing just FINE, the labour lasted for about 30minites after waterbreaking......., .I AM THE HAPPIEST MAN ON EARTH TODAY.........

9 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by osikhueme(f): 11:30am On Apr 14, 2012
Awwww congrats 2 d newest daddy in town. More blessings 2 u n ur family

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (6954) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: UmmuFareed and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.