Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? (90733 Views)

Why Blackberry Playbook Is Cheap / Request For Your Blackberry Playbook Android Apps Or Games / Blackberry Playbook Hard Reset Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 11:23pm On Mar 13, 2012
Hello guys,I want to get a blackberry playbook.I decided on this tablet because I read that I Could link my blackberry phone via a bluetooth bridge to the playbook and browse on the playbook using my bis data plan at no additional cost.

Please I want to find out. From users in Nigeria how fast the internet is on the playbook using this means as this will be the only way I could connect to the net on the playbook since I don't have any Wifi hotspots around me and I don't want to pay for additional data plan.

Would it be fast enough such that I will enjoy the browsing experience? Imputs will be highly appereciated.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by Lexusgs430: 11:43pm On Mar 13, 2012
I use the blackberry playbook in the UK, and yes you can browse,ping, send and receive mails, android apps compatible (limited), not unless you tweek your device, then it can run all android apps, play games etc etc etc
I am sending this post via my playbook,and it is a pretty fast connection.
I will also be intrigued to know how fast Nigerian connection is vis a vis, blackberry bridge.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by aieromon(m): 2:12am On Mar 14, 2012
If your reason for getting a Playbook is solely to avoid incurring additional data costs,then go for it.Anything else and I recommend choosing the Galaxy Tab or the Ipad.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 7:13am On Mar 14, 2012
aieromon: If your reason for getting a Playbook is solely to avoid incurring additional data costs,then go for it.Anything else and I recommend choosing the Galaxy Tab or the Ipad.
well,that should be like an icing on the cake,but then,I don't want to shoot myself in the leg by getting a playbook only to discover that internet thru bridging is as slow as a snail.it would be useless to me as I'd be using it mainly to surf the web.please,do ypu have an idea of how fast the internet speed cud be via bridging?
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 7:21am On Mar 14, 2012
Lexusgs430: I use the blackberry playbook in the UK, and yes you can browse,ping, send and receive mails, android apps compatible (limited), not unless you tweek your device, then it can run all android apps, play games etc etc etc
I am sending this post via my playbook,and it is a pretty fast connection.
I will also be intrigued to know how fast Nigerian connection is vis a vis, blackberry bridge.
from the reviews I'd read online,I think PB users don't have a problem woth internet via bridge,just like you mentioned.but then I want to assume that 3G internet speed in a place like the UK or the US would be way faster than we have here in nigeria.I wish I could get more responses.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by aieromon(m): 8:39am On Mar 14, 2012
dan_dollar: well,that should be like an icing on the cake,but then,I don't want to shoot myself in the leg by getting a playbook only to discover that internet thru bridging is as slow as a snail.it would be useless to me as I'd be using it mainly to surf the web.please,do ypu have an idea of how fast the internet speed cud be via bridging?

BIS 3G is highly dependent on location so you need a consistent connection for you to enjoy BB bridging.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by owoblo345(m): 1:16pm On Mar 15, 2012
What type of BB do u use? I currently use my playbook bridged to my Torch 2 on MTN BIS and i can tell you the speed is good within 3G coverage and bearable even on EDGE. However, i cannot vouch for the experience using Curve or a BB with lower specs. Again, you will still need wifi to set up your new playbook as well as to access App World and some apps.

PS:
I've also used it with Etisalat BIS and its good.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by TCD: 4:45pm On Mar 15, 2012
Also interested in this....don't think the phone type used to bridge should matter , should It?
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by aieromon(m): 5:02pm On Mar 15, 2012
TCD: Also interested in this....don't think the phone type used to bridge should matter , should It?

Actually it matters a lot.You would do well to get a 3G phone if you intend to share internet access.The other determinant is the consistency of the network provider proving 3G BIS in that particular location.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by TCD: 5:31pm On Mar 15, 2012
aieromon:

Actually it matters a lot.You would do well to get a 3G phone if you intend to share internet access.The other determinant is the consistency of the network provider proving 3G BIS in that particular location.
yes I very much agree with you. What I was saying is something like You use a Curve 3 and then a Torch 4 to bridge (both 3G phones) , should there be a difference?
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by TCD: 5:36pm On Mar 15, 2012
Oh and guys using the playbook, how will you rate the device? I'd like to hear first hand experiences as regards performance, entertainment, battery life as well as durability.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 9:21pm On Mar 15, 2012
owoblo345: What type of BB do u use? I currently use my playbook bridged to my Torch 2 on MTN BIS and i can tell you the speed is good within 3G coverage and bearable even on EDGE. However, i cannot vouch for the experience using Curve or a BB with lower specs. Again, you will still need wifi to set up your new playbook as well as to access App World and some apps.

PS:
I use a torch 2 too. That means I am good to go? I intend getting the MTN MiFi along with it, to set it up as I don't know where I can get a wifi hotspot to set it up even if I will pay for the services.I just hope the MTN mifi wud suffice.between, can the MTN mifi be refered to as an adhoc wifi? Cos I read it can't be set up using an adhoc wifi.make I kno wetin I dey enter. grin
owoblo345: What type of BB do u use? I currently use my playbook bridged to my Torch 2 on MTN BIS and i can tell you the speed is good within 3G coverage and bearable even on EDGE. However, i cannot vouch for the experience using Curve or a BB with lower specs. Again, you will still need wifi to set up your new playbook as well as to access App World and some apps.

PS:
I use a torch 2 too. That means I am good to go? I intend getting the MTN MiFi along with it, to set it up as I don't know where I can get a wifi hotspot to set it up even if I will pay for the services.I just hope the MTN mifi wud suffice.between, can the MTN mifi be refered to as an adhoc wifi? Cos I read it can't be set up using an adhoc wifi.make I kno wetin I dey enter.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by owoblo345(m): 9:38pm On Mar 15, 2012
dan_dollar: I use a torch 2 too. That means I am good to go? I intend getting the MTN MiFi along with it, to set it up as I don't know where I can get a wifi hotspot to set it up even if I will pay for the services.I just hope the MTN mifi wud suffice.between, can the MTN mifi be refered to as an adhoc wifi? Cos I read it can't be set up using an adhoc wifi.make I kno wetin I dey enter. grin I use a torch 2 too. That means I am good to go? I intend getting the MTN MiFi along with it, to set it up as I don't know where I can get a wifi hotspot to set it up even if I will pay for the services.I just hope the MTN mifi wud suffice.between, can the MTN mifi be refered to as an adhoc wifi? Cos I read it can't be set up using an adhoc wifi.make I kno wetin I dey enter.

U r gud to go.I used the mtn mifi to set mine up as well so no wahala...
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 10:01pm On Mar 15, 2012
owoblo345:

U r gud to go.I used the mtn mifi to set mine up as well so no wahala...
that's why I love this land. Thanx, man.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by mjay(m): 7:11pm On Mar 20, 2012
If yorpu are on os 7.1 then just buy a data bundle and activate the hotspot, you are good to go on wifi. Just be sure you plug your fone to light.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by mjay(m): 7:12pm On Mar 20, 2012
If you are on os 7.1 then just buy a data bundle and activate the hotspot, you are good to go on wifi. Just be sure you plug your fone to light.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by lerryphada(m): 7:59am On Mar 21, 2012
Hw much is ur uk used playbook?
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 10:05am On Mar 21, 2012
mjay: If you are on os 7.1 then just buy a data bundle and activate the hotspot, you are good to go on wifi. Just be sure you plug your fone to light.
thanx.I read you can use the hotspot if your network permits.I suppose you are in Nigeria.do our networks allow the use of this hotspot?can I do the initial setup using the wifi from My 9810?
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by mjay(m): 5:47am On Mar 22, 2012
Yes hotspot is allowed by all networks in naija once u purchase a data bundle.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 12:01pm On Mar 22, 2012
mjay: Yes hotspot is allowed by all networks in naija once u purchase a data bundle.
thanx so much.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by dandollar1: 8:34am On Apr 07, 2012
mjay: Yes hotspot is allowed by all networks in naija once u purchase a data bundle.
I just updated my phone to os7.1.I tried activating the hotspot for glo and airtel.while airttel told me outright,glo asked me to get a plan for using hotspot.
Please,may I know the network that u use specifically?
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by mjay(m): 3:59pm On Apr 07, 2012
dan_dollar: I just updated my phone to os7.1.I tried activating the hotspot for glo and airtel.while airttel told me outright,glo asked me to get a plan for using hotspot.
Please,may I know the network that u use specifically?

Airtel should serve you well depending on your location. With airtel Bis subscription you dont need to buy extra bundle. This is because when you subscribe to the complete bis of 1400, they give you 1gig of data to use, and you can access this data as you would normal bundle of internet with their code for normal internet i.e *123*10# That means you are as good as having 1gig of data, and you can do as you wish with the data. You can tether, you can use it as hotspot, or you can put it in a router it will work all the same. don't forget, the apn is the normal airtel apn for data i.e 'internet.ng.zain.com' username is 'internet' psswrd is 'internet'with that you are good to to go.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by engrhamid(m): 6:30pm On Apr 07, 2012
Anyone interested in "like new bb playbook" 16gb coming with park and accessories?
Do let Me know if interested.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by alstacs(m): 10:19pm On Apr 07, 2012
engrhamid: Anyone interested in "like new bb playbook" 16gb coming with park and accessories?
Do let Me know if interested.
Pls what does "like new BB playbook" mean?
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by Baroba(m): 12:41am On Apr 08, 2012
The playbook is RIM's own 7 inch tablet launched early last year, initially selling for £500 16gb but due to poor sales and bad reviews, you can now own one for £169 (16gb) or less if you know where to look. I think it will do well in Nigeria due to the ability of bridging you BB phone using BB Bridge app to the PB. it runs on RIM's new QNX OS, if you are hoping to download lots of apps, be prepared to be dissapointed but if its for FB, Twitter, BBM, E-Mails, web browsing,reading E books then go for it. BTW, the build quality is pretty solid.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by engrhamid(m): 3:05am On Apr 08, 2012
alstacs:
Pls what does "like new BB playbook" mean?
Not brand new but close to new.
Its sold.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2012
Baroba: The playbook is RIM's own 7 inch tablet launched early last year, initially selling for £500 16gb but due to poor sales and bad reviews, you can now own one for £169 (16gb) or less if you know where to look. I think it will do well in Nigeria due to the ability of bridging you BB phone using BB Bridge app to the PB. it runs on RIM's new QNX OS, if you are hoping to download lots of apps, be prepared to be dissapointed but if its for FB, Twitter, BBM, E-Mails, web browsing,reading E books then go for it. BTW, the build quality is pretty solid.
_
The days of app disappointments are gone, 'cause with the new os 2.0, you can install and run android apps. So you get 'free' internet with Bridge, and android apps. Yay PB!
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by alstacs(m): 8:57am On May 06, 2012
Pls who has a practical experience with bridging of playbook with BB phone in Nigeria?I would like to know how satisfied satisfied or otherwise you are in areas with 3G and EDGE signal.
Do you think this experience is comparable to Samsung galaxy tab or superior in some aspects??

1 Like

Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by Nobody: 11:29am On May 06, 2012
@alstacs
Granted, the Galaxy Tab's got more screen estate, but it's all about the cost: With the Galaxy Tab, you'll have to subscribe to normal data plans to surf, but with the PlayBook, through BlackBerry Bridge, you use your BB data plan (i.e. 3k unlimited plan).
But I can say, in my opinion, that browsing on the PB is better'n the Galaxy Tab or the iPad, especially in terms of flash- (compared with the iPad), and HTML5-based sites.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by Nobody: 11:34am On May 06, 2012
And I use MTN in Enugu (urban), so getting 3.5G signal is not an issue.
Re: Blackberry Playbook: Anyone? by TCD: 11:41am On May 06, 2012
@alstacs . I'm getting a playbook soon. I would assume There is no difference between the bridging experience and the others like galaxy tab et all. The only thing that should make any difference is the Network providers 3G or EDGE. this will also affect the galaxy tab..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66) (Reply)

Boys Wearing Slippers, Tee Shirt And Short Nika With Iphone 11,12,13. / 15 Technically Possible But Awful Ways To Charge Your Phone Without Electricity / Step By Step: How To Get A Free USA Phone Number From Google Voice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.