Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,335 members, 7,957,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:49 PM

Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? (8774 Views)

Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? / More Than 5000 Nigeria-trained Medical Doctors Practise In Us’ / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by busybee24: 1:11am On Mar 14, 2012
I think all in all I have spent all of 5 year in Nigeria over the course of my 20 plus some years.
I am set to be a qualified lawyer in the UK and just wondering if coming home is a good idea.
I mean i have romanticized version of things as they were. you know a well culture society, with respect for elders and other things the western world doesn't really hold dear.
is it worth it giving two years of my life- 1 to do youth corp and the other to do law school to convert my degree??

Culture wise
Are nigerian men really as sexist as some have led me to believe?

Thanks in advance
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by kelz88(f): 1:34am On Mar 14, 2012
More than two years. Law school is for 2 years, NYSC 1. . . . . or there about. I'm in similar situation and I've been hearing mixed replies. But my heart lies more in Naija. . . . No place like home.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by tpia5: 4:21am On Mar 14, 2012
depends on what your goals and vision are.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by igbo2011(m): 9:04am On Mar 14, 2012
What do you want to do in your life? What are your plans and goals? If you want to start a business than NIgeria is the place but if you want to be a lawyer than maybe UK. I am not to kean on law and I don't know the pay difference between UK and Nigeria. It all depends though. You need to be more detailed.

Also, Nigerian guys, some of us are sexist not all. Depends on where they were raised and the person.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by blacksta(m): 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2012
I suspect you dont have practice experience yet in the UK. Please dont come home and upstage the local market - it is already saturated with unemployed law graduates person. Gain the necessary experience in the u.k, do the necessary conversion in Nigeria and start your own firm thus employing people. it will be shame coming back home with all your experience and expensive education fighting with the local populace for a job in local firm . what a waste.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by Okontami: 1:18pm On Mar 14, 2012
Madam poster, You need to put your plan into God's hand. Naija is sweet , althugh i dont live in Naija my self too, but if you will like to know the truth TOURISM is not the same as MIGRATION i.e visiting Naija is not the same as living in Naija. For Job, you need to be alert and approach a lot of companies for vacancies so that your pay could worth it. If its business, (DONT YOU WANNA PRACTICE LAW AGAIN?)unless u want to run it in parallel. As per boys , boys plenty o. Dem go show you love, them go show you hate, dem go trip you like never before, dem go give you groove, and also they will also submit their pricks for you. Infact them go really f.uu.ckk you for Naija as you have never been. Boys are not smiling at all. All the trips must bring out result grin
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2012
My honest advice is to work in a law firm abroad for 2 - 4 years and then go back home. I understand you may want to go home, but if you go back home now, you will start at entry level and lawyers in Nigeria are poorly paid unless you work for top law firms like Banwo&Ighodalo or Ajumogobia &Okeke or Templers.

If you can get to work in a decent law firm abroad for some years, then your chances of getting into the top law firm in Naija are higher and you will come at a much higher level. These law firms pay quite well too. If you can't get a job abroad, you can think of a Masters in Law from a good University too. But the most important thing is having the foreign work experience. It really helps

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by baslone: 1:20pm On Mar 14, 2012
With the situation of things in Nigeria at the moment, I'll advise you to come back home.

If your folks have good connections or destiny gets you through- you are in for some big dough.

Big time lawyers now legally own a large chunk of illegally acquired wealth of our politicians.
In-fact, most of our judges(definitely civil servants) are now billionaires or run their own oil-well.
As a lawyer you can get involved in the too many under-ground deals getting rolled out daily. From "new licence
plates" to "new camous for police". Down here, a set of camou(shirt and trouser) might cost as high 300K officially.

But if your luck no shine, you'll end up setting up a chair under a tree in a magistrate court running "Charge and Bail"!!

Oriii ni men!!
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by blacksta(m): 1:36pm On Mar 14, 2012
baslone: With the situation of things in Nigeria at the moment, I'll advise you to come back home.

If your folks have good connections or destiny gets you through- you are in for some big dough.

Big time lawyers now legally own a large chunk of illegally acquired wealth of our politicians.
In-fact, most of our judges(definitely civil servants) are now billionaires or run their own oil-well.
As a lawyer you can get involved in the too many under-ground deals getting rolled out daily. From "new licence
plates" to "new camous for police". Down here, a set of camou(shirt and trouser) might cost as high 300K officially.

But if your luck no shine, you'll end up setting up a chair under a tree in a magistrate court running "Charge and Bail"!!

Oriii ni men!!

so you are advising that he or she should come back to be part of illegality

Anyway people have traded their soul for money.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by hardbody: 1:37pm On Mar 14, 2012
Let me put it this way. If you want to practise law, and you have a good degree, and slightly well connected, the grade A Law firms will snap you up, considering you have a foreign degree, and believe me, their welfare package competes favourably and sometimes better than what some banks pay. The craze for foreign degree graduates in corporate employments is dying down, what with the low performance of their other contemporaries who could not fit into the demands of the labour market.

If for some reason you do not get the employment of those elite law firms, and yet you are well connected, you may open a practice firm, streams of briefs may come through based on your affiliations. You may for this purpose employ a junior (fairly well remunerated) to take you through the rudiments and ropes of street practice in Nigeria (and i assume Lagos), briefs do not always come in regularly, but if you carve a niche, before long, you will be comfortable.

In taking a decision, factor in the usual Nigerian issues, bad roads, traffic snarls, irregular power supply, crime and violence, health care, etc. In all, you can make good money and enjoy a level of legal practise depending on who you know, and how good you are.

I am not able to answer the twin arm of your question. I do not have a definition of Nigerian men being sexist (either in the positive or negative sense), but suffice it to say that we are all humans with individual idiosyncracies and will definitely act differently in various situations.

Finally do not believe everything you hear about Nigeria, some are really exaggerated but in all, you may choose to take some time to come and see things yourself, in the end, the choice is yours and i wish you the very best.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by jaybee3(m): 1:44pm On Mar 14, 2012
Not sure if Law is one of the career to return to in Nigeria as a graduate looking for employment.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by MBG4Real(m): 1:48pm On Mar 14, 2012
If you need to come back to Nigeria for your youth corp and for Law school, you are welcome. You will enjoy it here. May I know have come back to do the the youth service program here. It is a very nice experience. If I had my way, with better pay I would want to do youth service again.

If you have a job offer in Nigeria, or you know you can do good business here, do well to come. The environment here (except for electricity) is business friendly, no much tax and bills. If you want to practice law you can do better in UK. It will take you a longer time to establish yourself.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by baslone: 2:05pm On Mar 14, 2012
blacksta:

so you are advising that he or she should come back to be part of illegality

Anyway people have traded their soul for money.

What is wrong in defending Abubakar Atiku, Uzor Kalu or Dimeji Bankole in court!

She's going to get paid for doing her job and since she knows they are worth
billions, there is absolutely nothing wrong billing them billions as well.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by ronkebp(f): 2:29pm On Mar 14, 2012
@ Poster, there is nothing wrong with you oooo, i think it is time that we as individuals and citizens of Nigeria, try our best and contribute our quota to the country. Our fathers who are supposed to be laying down examples are not doing anything at all. And i see that the future of Nigeria lies solely in our hands now. My dear, go ahead and move to Nigeria, it is going to be tough, but you will succeed.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by crackhouse(m): 5:17pm On Mar 14, 2012
Mr woman what do u want in particular?. Is it the sexiest Nigerian men or whether to come back and practice law in Nigeria?. Well, if it's whether to come back and practice law, i think it's better u stay there because ur kind of profession is no longer needed here. Nigerians are wise now, nobody want to be a trouble maker these days because there is no money for court case this time. We prefer to settle our case amicably within ourselves than going to court. But if u still want to come back, then u should be ready to collect house rents for landlords and swear court affidavits for people because that's the only job left, apart from that, another one that is manageable is the charge and bail law practice.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by crackhouse(m): 5:17pm On Mar 14, 2012
Mr woman what do u want in particular?. Is it the sexiest Nigerian men or whether to come back and practice law in Nigeria?. Well, if it's whether to come back and practice law, i think it's better u stay there because ur kind of profession is no longer needed here. Nigerians are wise now, nobody want to be a trouble maker these days because there is no money for court case this time. We prefer to settle our case amicably within ourselves than going to court. But if u still want to come back, then u should be ready to collect house rents for landlords and swear court affidavits for people because that's the only job left, apart from that, another one that is manageable is the charge and bail law practice.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by AngelicM: 5:56pm On Mar 14, 2012
Well,i'l say u should pray 2 God and ask for his direction be4 u take any step..

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by busybee24: 6:07pm On Mar 14, 2012
I just want to say thank you to everyone for their input into this matter. The reason I brought up the sexism was just to gauge how much more difficult it would be to break into the higher levels of the firm. Wow 2 years just for conversion.. i believe thats for the bar 11 courses thats intense... i feel like i have been in school for ages... so that makes it three in all.But hard work never kills anyone and whats done must be done smiley I initially had the mindset of going into trademarks and copyrights here in london however given the fact that I wanted to eventually come home i think a switch to maritime and shipping law or oil and gas will be more appropriate I do intend on getting some experience here and eventually opening my own firm back home. However the conversion and youth corp point must be dealt with.
Again thanks for the input.

Sincerely,
Bee
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by bakila: 6:19pm On Mar 14, 2012
crackhouse: Mr woman what do u want in particular?. Is it the sexiest Nigerian men or whether to come back and practice law in Nigeria?. Well, if it's whether to come back and practice law, i think it's better u stay there because ur kind of profession is no longer needed here. Nigerians are wise now, nobody want to be a trouble maker these days because there is no money for court case this time. We prefer to settle our case amicably within ourselves than going to court. But if u still want to come back, then u should be ready to collect house rents for landlords and swear court affidavits for people because that's the only job left, apart from that, another one that is manageable is the charge and bail law practice.
Is that you level? You only know charge and bail lawyers.
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by bakila: 6:29pm On Mar 14, 2012
Everywhere in the World being a junior Lawyer is hectic and requires a lot of petiance. If you can practice for a year in the Uk and come spend two years here for the Nigerian Bar. Your NYSC year will offer you more puppilage in the Nigerian bar if you are lucky to be posted to a Good Firm your foriegn call may set the stage for your employment. The market in Nigeria is growing and if you have contacts here that will push good briefs your way, you will enjoy it.
If you find it too tough you can fall back to you English call.
Sex in Nigeria is not an issue if you can show you are capable of delivering on you job. If is to bed someone that one no be problem at all check our population growth
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by dasparrow: 9:12pm On Mar 14, 2012
bakila: Everywhere in the World being a junior Lawyer is hectic and requires a lot of petiance. If you can practice for a year in the Uk and come spend two years here for the Nigerian Bar. Your NYSC year will offer you more puppilage in the Nigerian bar if you are lucky to be posted to a Good Firm your foriegn call may set the stage for your employment. The market in Nigeria is growing and if you have contacts here that will push good briefs your way, you will enjoy it.
If you find it too tough you can fall back to you English call.
Sex in Nigeria is not an issue if you can show you are capable of delivering on you job. If is to bed someone that one no be problem at all check our population growth

I don't think you quite understood the OP's last question. She is asking if Nigerian men are sexist as in do they discriminate against women and not whether they can perform in bed. It pays to read and comprehend what is being read bro.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by i1: 3:08am On Mar 15, 2012
legal practice in nigeria is quite lucrative if you can get into the class a firms..
your qualification is it as a barrister or a solicitor? if it is the latter then you will be hot cake here... have friends that took that route....
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by EHITZ(m): 1:59pm On Mar 15, 2012
It also depends on if u are called to the english bar as a barrister or solicitor, if u are called as a solicitor or if that's the route u took over there, u can leverage on that back here in nigeria and do conveyancies, incorporation of companies and general drafting and real estate.These will pay you well, you can make a lot of money from these. especially in abuja were I practice.so I advice that even if u are coming back to the nigerian bar, it would take u time to grasp the court procedures, as each court has its rules, so, I would advice u major on soliciting.for more help, email me @ lawprinz_esq@yahoo.com
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by busybee24: 11:25pm On Mar 15, 2012
I took the barrister route and im set to be called soon and again thanks for all of the information.
Bee
Re: Is It Wise To Return To Nigeria To Practise Law? by freshera: 2:30am On Mar 17, 2012
Before you come back, calculate how long it may be before you get on your two feet and have enough savings for that.

Because this one that Nigerians are hating on people who studied abroad, well.

As if sending their own children abroad is not at the top of their prayer rquests.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Job Terminated B/c I Refuse To Date My Boss / A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To / How To Earn The Respect Of Your Employer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.