Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Ending Off-shore Derivation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ending Off-shore Derivation (11469 Views)

Borno Gov To Buhari: Give N/east 13% Oil Derivation / 13% Oil Derivation War / On-shore/off-shore Controversy: North Won’t Be Intimidated, Says Niger Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by ekubear1: 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2012
The Hausa-Fulani mentality is, "what is mine is mine, and what is yours is ours" grin cheesy grin

I hope people see through this tactic and understand why it must be resisted with 100% effort.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2012
eku_bear: Realchange, I am not sure if you are arguing against fairness and logic is because you think it is beneficial to your own state to do so.

So let us set aside what is right, fair, and logical temporarily and discuss na[b]k[/b]ed self-interest.

Given that you are an Igboman and the interest of at least one majority Igbo state (Rivers) is in both onshore AND offshore resource control, I am not sure it is in the best interest of your people to be against it.

My own "self-interest" calculus is:
a) supporting offshore hurts me and my state slightly
b) but is of massive, massive benefit to my people (Yoruba) as a whole. Like, who knows what will be found offshore over the next 20-30 years? Signing away that is exactly what Esau did.

I imagine that the self-interest calculus of any Igbo who thinks about it for more than 3 minutes will be similar (again, assuming that they are interested in maximizing the benefit of their people as a whole rather than just their own particular state.)

Lagos and Ondo already have commercial quantities of offshore oil, so your nake'd self interestr bears reason..
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by ekubear1: 9:38pm On Mar 21, 2012
re@lchange:

bruv i'm not really interested in what my people may gain after all nobody knows tomorrow
nigeria needs to start making sense
the federal government owns certain assets in nigeria. that is the way it is.
anybody who doesn't like it should simply secede.

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree. No doubt this will be settled in the courts at some point in the near future.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by DeepSight(m): 9:38pm On Mar 21, 2012
oiseworld:

i taya ohh bro. am surprised it has gotten to this. You can't seperate the sea from the states. Abi how i go talk am self? They bear the bad of the sea not the notherners. Loot at the tsunamies and tonadoes oil spillage and so on that take place in the sea and its coastal cities, nobody is talking about that. but with oil matter people from very distance region say na their own. Too bad. If gold is found in the desert up north where nobody lives them go say na their own. They even rear cattles from state to state soooootay fulani say na them get land.

As long as nigeria through delta,bayelsa,rivers extend over 200 meters into the sea, then those states own the sea and its resources.

Technically, under Section 44 (3), the Federation owns the resources. Thed issue is simply that when [b]dividing[/b]those resources, the Constitution requires that derivation is taken into account. To that extent, all those sea-ward resources must be affected by the derivation principle because the seas are part of states, under Section 2.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by nduchucks: 9:40pm On Mar 21, 2012
@Deep_Sight, I've told you befor to stop giving literal interpretations to constitutional provisions, that is the lazy way out.. If it were that simple, we wouldn't need the supreme court for any interpretation.

If we are to take your interpretion on its face value, then the concept of state boundaries will be useless as far as coastal states are concerned, for example. You see how ridiculous your interpretation is? I can assure you that the supreme court will not use your narrow interpretation.

TO KEEP NIGERIA ONE IS A TASK THAT MUST BE DONE cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 9:42pm On Mar 21, 2012
oiseworld:

i taya ohh bro. am surprised it has gotten to this. You can't seperate the sea from the states. Abi how i go talk am self? They bear the bad of the sea not the notherners. Loot at the tsunamies and tonadoes oil spillage and so on that take place in the sea and its coastal cities, nobody is talking about that. but with oil matter people from very distance region say na their own. Too bad. If gold is found in the desert up north where nobody lives them go say na their own. They even rear cattles from state to state soooootay fulani say na them get land.

As long as nigeria through delta,bayelsa,rivers extend over 200 meters into the sea, then those states own the sea and its resources.

Word. cool

I said earlier that maybe we should begin to lay claim to the atmosphere and solar insolation above the core-North as belonging to the FG and lets see how they feel about it.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by eghost247(m): 9:44pm On Mar 21, 2012
oYEEEEE
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by DeepSight(m): 9:44pm On Mar 21, 2012
@ Ndu Chucks - ^ Ol boy, I am tired of your ignorance in legal matters. I already explained above. The resources are owned by the Federation but are divided based on several principles, including derivation. For the purpose of computing what resources are earned from states, the seas are parts of states because Section 2 renders it so.

I don't have the neregy to engage you because you turned up blank the last time.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 9:46pm On Mar 21, 2012
ndu_chucks: @Deep_Sight, I've told you befor to stop giving literal interpretations to constitutional provisions, that is the lazy way out.. If it were that simple, we wouldn't need the supreme court for any interpretation.

If we are to take your interpretion on its face value, then the concept of state boundaries will be useless as far as coastal states are concerned, for example. You see how ridiculous your interpretation is? I can assure you that the supreme court will not use your narrow interpretation.

State boundaries?
Olodo. What has that got to do with the argument at hand?
In case you don't know, marine boundaries are decided by international principles.

By the way, I wanna claim the airspace above Sokoto, Kano, Jigawa, Borno, Kebbi, Zamfara and any other place where unu de. Deal? grin
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 21, 2012
Deep Sight: @ Ndu Chucks - ^ Ol boy, I am tired of your ignorance in legal matters. I already explained above. The resources are owned by the Federation but are divided based on several principles, including derivation. For the purpose of computing what resources are earned from states, the seas are parts of states because Section 2 renders it so.

I don't have the neregy to engage you because you turned up blank the last time.

the same reason why the federal government shares money to states every month.
certain duties are purely FG duties, else there my be trouble between nigerian states.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by DeepSight(m): 9:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
^ Yes, and in sharing the money, the derivation principle is taken on board for off shore as well because the seas are parts of states
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by alex14(m): 9:55pm On Mar 21, 2012
Buyayaha grin These lazy northern parasites never cease to amaze me when it comes to free OIL money. These clowns will always turn logic upside downn. I believe if the north gets back power, then this issue of 13% derivation will be overturned, as they already have a majority in the legislator due to their fake population figures,,,,,I guess it's their gift for convincing the rest of southern nigeria into accepting the "one-nigerian" slogan back in 1967.

Then again, what is right is right, and what is wrong is wrong. If the oil were to be located up north in the chad basin, we all know what the outcome would have been and we will not be having this conversation. This issue will not go away as long as the dungeon called nigeria remains. The north sees the control of oil resources in the ND thesame way they see the control of nigeria as their birth right undecided. May those with the best arguement win cool.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2012
Deep Sight: ^ Yes, and in sharing the money, the derivation principle is taken on board for off shore as well because the seas are parts of states

let me even think about this statement for a second
honestly i don't think that the writers of the nigerian constitution had states in mind when they were addressing offshore resources. they had nigeria as a whole in mind.
that is partly why i have never seen a map of nigeria with state boundaries inside ocean. their boundaries all stop on land. the nigerian national territorial waters is not demarcated into states. obasanjo did a lot of disservice to nigeria when he started implementing the 13% derivation without any clear state sea maps. some of the oilfields that should be in delta thus ended up in ondo state for example.

this controversy may force us to revisit all these and draw maps to reflect our new understanding of the issues
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by aljharem(m): 10:25pm On Mar 21, 2012
You see, once Nigeria separate, I see the Old Nigeria comming back to stab everyone of us.

I would go with Ndu-Chucks here and also taking consideration of Shoreline communities

1. Each Zone(notice that there is no state) should have her oil 200 miles out to the open ocean as part of the Zone's territory

2. After the 200 miles they rest would be shared among the zones equally ie North 33% , West 33% East 33% apart from the 200 miles for the west and east which is part of their territory.

Now the reasons for my stances are

1. You cannot just take Oil out of the equation from the West or North because we are in someway now dependent on it.

2. In case of oil spill, 200 miles would have minimal effect on the shore communities in those different countries

3. There would not be boundary dispute among former Nigerians as each knows her place and moreover 200 miles is enough unless greed sets in.

@Ekt_bear

I am disappointed. that is all
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by ekubear1: 10:27pm On Mar 21, 2012
There is nothing to be disappointed about. Present a logical argument if you want to convince me otherwise. So far, no one has offered anything.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by DeepSight(m): 10:36pm On Mar 21, 2012
re@lchange:

that is partly why i have never seen a map of nigeria with state boundaries inside ocean. their boundaries all stop on land.

Think about this. Have you even seen an international political map with boundaries in the sea either? You only see that when you search for a map addressing that. Nigeria must apply same principles in determining off shore internal borders
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by aljharem(m): 10:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 21, 2012
I want the Northern States to claim 200 nautical miles into the desert, if you find oil there, its your luck. Most oil blocks that the hausas are holding expires 2016; little wonder they dont want anyone apart froom hausa to be in power by 2016 to enable them renew the license back to themselves.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by aljharem(m): 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2012
LeoMax: I want the Northern States to claim 200 nautical miles into the desert, if you find oil there, its your luck. Most oil blocks that the hausas are holding expires 2016; little wonder they dont want anyone apart froom hausa to be in power by 2016 to enable them renew the license back to themselves.

How do you claim the desert when it is another's country ?
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 11:07pm On Mar 21, 2012
alj harem why did you delete your post?
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by dasa: 11:13pm On Mar 21, 2012
the idiot that wrote this article failed to consider that the owners of the land own the waters around it. if the oil spills, it will end up on the land. In my village in rivers state, there is no fish in our waters again due to spills. we are impacted by this everyday. North develope ur resources and leave oil.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by noiseless: 11:17pm On Mar 21, 2012
@physicsqed. No need for your reference about emmatok or emmke regarding where he claims to be originated, As noiseless doesn't just jump into a thread and start posting comments and replies,I have read most of their/his comments on different threads with interest there you go. @ekt-bear. There is no way the igbos would wish the northerners to succeed in this 419 even if it does not affect our delta igbos and rivers igbos nomatter what how much more now that it will affect our southsouth igbos. Ignore the way in which some our brothers are aproaching this topic,because if left them/us the northerners will never smell the oil in the first place,not after all the lies they (northerners) used to manipulate those our neighbours to spit in our face by claiming that all we ever care was "their oil", it's now crystal clear who has been only after oil between the north and igbos. Infact when my igbo brothers comment on this topic or even outside this topic nomatter how they may have sounded, all their point and massege to our neighbours (south south) has always been "be serious about breaking away from this country and do it fast, that is the only way the north could ever let you benefit from your oil and anything less than that it's just waste of time, as, as long as we are still trap in this aschwitz the nazis will keep violating everyone",so this i'm sure is the position of the igbos on topic such as this, but if you don't follow them properly you might think they are saying orderwise as most of us do believe the north has no business what so ever with the seas and whats beneath them.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by unclenna(m): 11:21pm On Mar 21, 2012
Honestly this move by the northern state governor is what will eventually lead to the division of this country. Mark my word. Greedy elephants. Who has ever as them to give account of all the mineral resources in their soil the mine secretly. angry
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 11:24pm On Mar 21, 2012
y ar dis northerners so obsessed wit dis our ss oil, or do u think we from NIGER DELTA will go all d way to drag ur arid land which is void of good things except onions,groundnut n yam. u all better think of a way to improve ur life n hw 2make a living selling beans,which is wt u all ar good at. u hv hijacked jos,nw tryin to colonize kogi n kwara n mayb lagos,bt u feel they aint worth it,n now u want to face ND with ur dry harmattan faces cos thats where d money is? u aboki's better think again
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by noiseless: 11:30pm On Mar 21, 2012
Niger deltan should be more serious in trying to breakaway from this aschwitz of a country than talking about offshore onshore derivation, that is where they will win better,and when that is done we will see if the northerners will turn to a wizard to sip off the oil in the atlantic without being some sort of lunch to the ocean fish to grow bigger.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 21, 2012
noiseless: Niger deltan should be more serious in trying to breakaway from this aschwitz of a country than talking about offshore onshore derivation, that is where they will win better,and when that is done we will see if the northerners will turn to a wizard to sip off the oil in the atlantic without being some sort of lunch to the ocean fish to grow bigger.

gbam that is it
sometimes it seem they want to eat their cake and have it
dunno if that can be done
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by noiseless: 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2012
@re@lchange. Brov, please try not make these one man 200 IDs operators think they are making any sense,as all can see them doing here is nothing short of deja vu, those northerners i mean thanks.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 11:42pm On Mar 21, 2012
alex_101: Buyayaha grin These lazy northern parasites never cease to amaze me when it comes to free OIL money. These clowns will always turn logic upside downn. I believe if the north gets back power, then this issue of 13% derivation will be overturned, as they already have a majority in the legislator due to their fake population figures,,,,,I guess it's their gift for convincing the rest of southern nigeria into accepting the "one-nigerian" slogan back in 1967.

Then again, what is right is right, and what is wrong is wrong. If the oil were to be located up north in the chad basin, we all know what the outcome would have been and we will not be having this conversation. This issue will not go away as long as the dungeon called nigeria remains. The north sees the control of oil resources in the ND thesame way they see the control of nigeria as their birth right undecided. May those with the best arguement win cool.

Yeah, they are masters of the awuf train. They not only want to claim everything, but want to assert themselves as owners of other peoples lands too.
Da infamous is reporting on another thread that today, there has been fighting in Ado Ekiti between indigenes and Fulani's:

https://www.nairaland.com/897535/b-r-e-k-n#10439570
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 11:44pm On Mar 21, 2012
noiseless: Niger deltan should be more serious in trying to breakaway from this aschwitz of a country than talking about offshore onshore derivation, that is where they will win better,and when that is done we will see if the northerners will turn to a wizard to sip off the oil in the atlantic without being some sort of lunch to the ocean fish to grow bigger.

Damn right.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 11:47pm On Mar 21, 2012
noiseless: @re@lchange. Brov, please try not make these one man 200 IDs operators think they are making any sense,as all can see them doing here is nothing short of deja vu, those northerners i mean thanks.

but some of these ND people just like nigeria the way it is, minus this resource control problem of course
that is part of why their argument sometimes fail to land home
if they are not happy with any new sharing formula, they should secede
if they don't, then they have no right to complain of anything
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by pazienza(m): 11:48pm On Mar 21, 2012
This makes sense. We will be watching, however,i don't see why any south easterner would not support the north on this or at least just sit on the fence,we have more to gain,after all 'they' have already accused us of trying to take their oil,it's high time they face their real enemy

The way i see it, the north takes over after GEJ, and abolishes the offshore derivation,the south south cries and attempts to secede, nigeria deals with them ,the yoruba sits on the fence as usual.Woe betide any igbo leader that will think of dragging us into south south problems,it's high time we learn to place ourselves before anyother person.

When push comes to shove,i don't see any state that is not among these five states,that will support them,why should they? They have more to gain when the offshore derivation is abolished,in all,there is only going to be one winner here,gosh! Nigeria just got interesting, you just have to give it up to the aboki,the most political savvy animal in the nigerian jungle *smirks*
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by ektbear: 11:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
*shrug*

Then in that case, the SS would be wise to ensure that whoever follows after GEJ is not a northerner.

They are in no position to be dictating demands when not even in power...

Honestly, this isn't even purely a SS issue, in my opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

SSS Raid Bomb Factory In Kano / Amaechi's Health Centres! / Buhari Commiserates With Innoson On Mother’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.