Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,234 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Ending Off-shore Derivation - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ending Off-shore Derivation (11461 Views)

Borno Gov To Buhari: Give N/east 13% Oil Derivation / 13% Oil Derivation War / On-shore/off-shore Controversy: North Won’t Be Intimidated, Says Niger Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 21, 2012
pazienza: This makes sense. We will be watching, however,i don't see any why any south easterner would not support the north on this or at least just sit on the fence,we have more to gain,after all 'they' have already accused us of trying to take their oil,it's high time they face their real enemy

The way i see it, the north takes over after GEJ, and abolishs the offshore derivation,the south south cries and attempts to seccede, nigeria deals with them ,[b]the yoruba sits on the fence as usual.[/b]Woe betide any igbo leader that will think of dragging us into south south problems,it's high time we learn to place ourselves before anyother person.

When push comes to shove,i don't see any state that is not among these five states,that will support them,why should they? They have more to gain when the offshore derivation is abolished,in all,there is only going to be one winner here,gosh! Nigeria just got interesting, you just have to give it up to the aboki,the most political savvy animal in the nigerian jungle *smirks*

grin grin grin grin bros you wicked o.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 21, 2012
i wish SS luck on this one
me i don de waka jare.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by iconaus: 12:04am On Mar 22, 2012
This is a dicey situation.Too close to call but nonetheless the ND should try to go that is only way this can be resolved otherwise it is gonna be difficult for ND to win outrightly . Frankly this development will catalyse the disintegration of Nigeria and the ND needs the SE to acheive this .
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Afam4eva(m): 12:20am On Mar 22, 2012
eku_bear: The Hausa-Fulani mentality is, "what is mine is mine, and what is yours is ours" grin cheesy grin

I hope people see through this tactic and understand why it must be resisted with 100% effort.

That's actually what the constitution says. It's unfortunate though. That's why we need to review a constitution that was promulgated by the hausa/fulani oligarchy. When you have some stupid laws in our constitution, there's really nothing we can do. Tell me why the exploration of oil should be exclusive to the government. What happens to other resources that is being harnessed by northern states. I wonder if oil would have been a federal property if this oil were to be in the north.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by noiseless: 12:27am On Mar 22, 2012
@re@lchange. Brov we are really on the same side, but my real issue here in ngeria is when a stanger will do everything to create distrust between neighbours so he could use any of them whenever he pleases, then go home celebrete and call you both mumus that i try always to detect them first. We most understand that the northerners have never in life done any good to us, not even when they are not losing anything so they should stop trying to use people just for their selfish need all the time.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by noiseless: 12:42am On Mar 22, 2012
All they do now is to count on the distrust,pain and backstabbing they caused between peaceful neighbours until they surfaced to scene to drag everyone down.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by pazienza(m): 1:04am On Mar 22, 2012
It will be good to have igbo apologists to south south cause,but igbo leaders must put ndiigbo's interest first,and in this case,offshore derivation doesn't serve our interest. The south south don't need the south east for anything,they can do it on their own,with the help of their yoruba brothers. *grins* lets stop being sentimental and face realities for once,Nigeria is a jungle,it's all man for himself,ndiigbo have failed to understand this,and we have paid for it.

Think of what that extra allocation can do for Enugu,Owerri,Umuahia,Aba,Abakaliki,Awka and other south eastern towns. This is the way we should be thinking in this jungle,and not some sentimental eastern brotherly rubbish.

Those five states are fighting for themselves to keep the whole resources to themselves(and not to share with south east),the northerners are fighting for a part of the resources,the yorubas are as usual siting on the fence,pondering their next move that will benefit their region.But no,it's only the igboman that will surrender the need of his region just to fight the cause of another,and later he will turn and ask himself why he finished last.

Anybody that thinks that he can have the whole of the crude oil to himself,must be ready for a war,hopefully,this time around,ndiigbo can afford the luxury of being spectators,and maybe get to share the oil blocks with the aboki this time around.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by nduchucks: 1:09am On Mar 22, 2012
Deep Sight:
I reproduce below Section 2 of the Constitution of Nigeria -

2. (1) Nigeria is one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign state to be known by the name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(2) Nigeria shall be a Federation CONSISTING OF States and a Federal Capital Territory.

As such, every part of Nigeria is either in a state or the FCT.

That is the law.

Then ole n tel’afa, Beaf posted

Beaf:

With this quote, the thread ends and Deep Sight is hereby elevated to the status of a god. grin

Deep Sight, it is very amateurish to take a constitutional provision and then reach a very simplistic conclusion based on a very narrow and juvenile interpretation. I am very disappointed. The conclusion you reached “As such every part of Nigeria is either a state or the FCT” is deceptive and intentionally dishonest.

Section (2) 2. above simply states that the federation of Nigeria shall consist of States and a FCT. Thus, it would be unconstitutional to legislate that the Federation now consists of 4 regions and the FCT. Section (2) 2 above has nothing whatsoever to do with what you stated. The said section does not speak to the territorial waters of Nigeria in any way shape or form. No reasonable supreme court will subscribe to your narrow and uninformed interpretation.

So Beaf, before you jump for joy, obtain better interpretation from more knowledgeable folks. The best bet you people have, is to continue to appease your foes and prevent them from taking the issue to the supreme court. The supreme court should have no trouble rendering the derivation formula as implemented, unconstitutional.

afam4eva:

That's actually what the constitution says. It's unfortunate though. That's why we need to review a constitution that was promulgated by the hausa/fulani oligarchy. When you have some stupid laws in our constitution, there's really nothing we can do. Tell me why the exploration of oil should be exclusive to the government. What happens to other resources that is being harnessed by northern states. I wonder if oil would have been a federal property if this oil were to be in the north.

^+100
I agree wholeheartedly with you that we need a review of the constitution.

TO KEEP NIGERIA ONE IS A TASK THAT MUST BE DONE cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by ektbear: 1:12am On Mar 22, 2012
I personally don't know where my own folk will stand. Who knows, maybe they will sit on the fence or actively support ending offshore.

But from my own perspective and analysis, both would be the incorrect move to make.

Then again, it seems that they aren't too keen on doing necessarily what I think is best.

My hope is that the relevant people will think hard about this (shouldn't take more than 3-5 minutes really) and realize what the correct course of action is.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by nduchucks: 1:20am On Mar 22, 2012
ekt_bear: I personally don't know where my own folk will stand. Who knows, maybe they will sit on the fence or actively support ending offshore.

But from my own perspective and analysis, both would be the incorrect move to make.

Then again, it seems that they aren't too keen on doing necessarily what I think is best.

My hope is that the relevant people will think hard about this (shouldn't take more than 3-5 minutes really) and realize what the correct course of action is.

Worry not, Mallam ekt_bear, GEJ will not allow a case challenging the derivation formula, to be filed, let alone get to the supreme court. They will appease the Northerners, without all the drama. His administration has already announced that some northern states will be appeased with the payment of 13 per cent derivation on solid minerals with immediate effect.

TO KEEP NIGERIA ONE IS A TASK THAT MUST BE DONE cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Afam4eva(m): 1:21am On Mar 22, 2012
pazienza: It will be good to have igbo apologists to south south cause,but igbo leaders must put ndiigbo's interest first,and in this case,offshore derivation doesn't serve our interest. The south south don't need the south east for anything,they can do it on their own,with the help of their yoruba brothers. *grins* lets stop being sentimental and face realities for once,Nigeria is a jungle,it's all man for himself,ndiigbo have failed to understand this,and we have paid for it.

Think of what that extra allocation can do for Enugu,Owerri,Umuahia,Aba,Abakaliki,Awka and other south eastern towns. This is the way we should be thinking in this jungle,and not some sentimental eastern brotherly rubbish.

Those five states are fighting for themselves to keep the whole resources to themselves(and not to share with south east),the northerners are fighting for a part of the resources,the yorubas are as usual siting on the fence,pondering their next move that will benefit their region.But no,it's only the igboman that will surrender the need of his region just to fight the cause of another,and later he will turn and ask himself why he finished last.

Anybody that thinks that he can have the whole of the crude oil to himself,must be ready for a war,hopefully,this time around,ndiigbo can afford the luxury of being spectators,and maybe get to share the oil blocks with the aboki this time around.

The funny thing is that the bolded is always one-sided. That's how foolish Igbo leaders have been. I can tell you that a Niger Deltan(minus Igbo speaking areas) will rather vote an aboki than Igbo. We have to start thinking about what is best for Igboland irrespective of whose detriment it may be. We have to stop all these brotherly rubbish. We can always join heads with the ND but it must be for the interest of Igboland.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 1:28am On Mar 22, 2012
afam4eva:
The funny thing is that the bolded is always one-sided. That's how foolish Igbo leaders have been. I can tell you that a Niger Deltan(minus Igbo speaking areas) will rather vote an aboki than Igbo. We have to start thinking about what is best for Igboland irrespective of whose detriment it may be. We have to stop all these brotherly rubbish. We can always join heads with the ND but it must be for the interest of Igboland.

Lolzzz!
I wonder where your crazy idea's come from!
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by odumchi: 1:29am On Mar 22, 2012
The idea of there being a South South is merely a divide and conquer tactic.

How best do we punish the East for revolting?
Hmm... That's right! Let's divide them in half. Let's pit Igbo against non Igbo!

In actuality, there are two south souths. The eastern part of te South South (Akwa, Cross, Rivers, Bayelsa) is generally inclined to lean towards the Igbo on the political scale. Whereas the western part of the SS (parts of Delta, Edo) is generally neutral.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Afam4eva(m): 1:34am On Mar 22, 2012
Beaf:

Lolzzz!
I wonder where your crazy idea's come from!

You may lol as much as you like but i can tell you that Niger Deltans just hate the thoought of an Igbo man being the president of Nigeria. Forget the fact that Igbos and the south-south are social partners. I once saw an Ijaw man that said he would rather have an aboki rule Nigeria forever than an Igbo man ruling for just one year. It's that bad.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by aljharem(m): 1:47am On Mar 22, 2012
odumchi: The idea of there being a South South is merely a divide and conquer tactic.

How best do we punish the East for revolting?
Hmm... That's right! Let's divide them in half. Let's pit Igbo against non Igbo!

In actuality, there are two south souths. The eastern part of te South South (Akwa, Cross, Rivers, Bayelsa) is generally inclined to lean towards the Igbo on the political scale. Whereas the western part of the SS (parts of Delta, Edo) is generally neutral.

Maybe that was what Nnamdi was thinking when he split the West

BECAUSE THE FIRST REGION TO BE SPLIT WAS THE WEST NOT THE EAST so quite already and stop whining.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 1:57am On Mar 22, 2012
afam4eva:
You may lol as much as you like but i can tell you that Niger Deltans just hate the thoought of an Igbo man being the president of Nigeria. Forget the fact that Igbos and the south-south are social partners. I once saw an Ijaw man that said he would rather have an aboki rule Nigeria forever than an Igbo man ruling for just one year. It's that bad.

Where do you learn your fairy tales, bruv?
You once saw an Ijaw man... Blah, blah! I too can claim that I once saw an Igbo man who hates all ND people, therefore all Igbo's hate ND people; but would I be right or would I be narrow minded?

Dude, I can't understand what you mean by "social partners" when we are talking about politics in the raw. I think its naivete shining through.
Look at it this way; there are four players in the game, the core-North, Middle Belt, South East and South-South. The game has no referee and the core-Northern elite employ terror tactics and rely on generating hatred/distrust between the other regions to milk them all. In that scenario, would you rather be hater and get phucked, sit on the wall and get phucked, laugh at your neighbour today and get phucked tomorrow, dance with the beast and your kids get phucked etc? Or would you do the intelligent thing, ally and defeat the enemy?

Think.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Ozonna(m): 2:07am On Mar 22, 2012
Pres GEJ should Asap send the over 50 bills he wanted/promised to send last year to the NASS. I was told dat true federalism bill is also among the bills for constitutional amendment. Its of great importance now moreover SW,SS & SE want it.

My fear is that because money is involved, Middle belt has joined the core North again. This will show you the kind of ppl we call leaders and how politically savvy the Core North are. Have you guys noticed what's happening now,these guys are gettin ready for 2015 elections.

GEJ and Govs of Oil producing states should ensure that Middlebelt Leaders, Governors, Legislators( Federal &state) vote for true federalism(Resource Control). Even if it means money exchanging hands or states then let it be.

I strongly believe that Resource control and State Police'll go a Long way in helping us grow as a united nation.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by bittyend(m): 2:24am On Mar 22, 2012
Yoruba ronu ooooo!!

We should never allow them to end the off-shore derivation. Ogun, Lagos, Ondo, and the Itsekiri part of Delta belongs to us. We've to fight this stupidity as hard as we can. The Hausa/Fulanis have Sahara desert and lake Chad - they can get their own 13% derivation from the wealth accrued from selling the sand in Sahara desert.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Onlytruth(m): 3:00am On Mar 22, 2012
afam4eva:

The bolded is one issue that should be of concern to every Igbo. I don't know how big it is because we don't probe it here as much as we should (and we should start doing so immediately). We cannot be sacrificing for a partner that may not be interested in reciprocating our goodwill for whatever reasons. I will soon start a thread on SE/SS alliance/relationship to probe it.
I strongly suspect that the North must have obtained assurance of Igbo support before this round of sabre rattling. I know those Northerners to be very savvy and calculating politicians.

Honestly, apart from a STRONG ASSURANCE of alliance to the SE of a shared destiny by the so called "SS", I don't see any reason why Ndigbo should continue to support them on this issue, afterall they are not sharing the offshore oil money in any way. If there is an Eastern Nigeria economic development body being sponsored by part of this money, then Ndigbo would find an interest in this; else it would be very foolish to continue to support it.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 3:06am On Mar 22, 2012
^
Even the relationship between husband and wife is a trade. You shouldn't take part in a relationship that is one-sided. Is this one one-sided? I think not, there are things to trade on either side. Lets have a healthy day in the market.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Onlytruth(m): 3:26am On Mar 22, 2012
Beaf: ^
Even the relationship between husband and wife is a trade. You shouldn't take part in a relationship that is one-sided. Is this one one-sided? I think not, there are things to trade on either side. Lets have a healthy day in the market.

Honestly Beaf, I don't know. I am looking for an infrastructural proof that something has changed for the SE with GEJ in aso rock.
I would admit that GEJ was there for us during Ojukwu sickness and burial, and he has also appointed some of our sons and daughters to key positions in government; BUT our only international airport is being treated like a political ping pong. Our second Niger bridge remain indefinitely on the so called drawing board; we remain the only zone with 5 states, and so on. We would trade all those positions for ONE fully functional international airport for example.
These are things that should prove to us that an alliance is in existence.

One Caveat though: I COULD BE WRONG. cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 3:37am On Mar 22, 2012
^
From all I've read, something is being done about the 2nd Niger Bridge and it is a definite. I don't know much about the airport though, but I do recall it was a campaign promise (I might be wrong). The details of these things are worth finding out.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Onlytruth(m): 3:47am On Mar 22, 2012
Beaf: ^
From all I've read, something is being done about the 2nd Niger Bridge and it is a definite. I don't know much about the airport though, but I do recall it was a campaign promise (I might be wrong). The details of these things are worth finding out.

That airport is more important to us than almost every other thing because it would allow us to develop SE economically.
Anyway, I digress. The point I'm making is that the SE has no interest in SS's offshore oil derivation struggle; but if we have concrete infrastructure to show for our support, then it would be worthwhile; else it would simply be self immolation for an uninterested party.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Onlytruth(m): 3:55am On Mar 22, 2012
Beaf, just know that I'm talking as someone with little information on this issue.
I still believe in Eastern Nigeria no matter what because it is my catchment area. Nothing will ever change that.
The sooner the people in SE and SS understand that we must move jointly on ALL issues of interest to BOTH zones, the better for us.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 4:15am On Mar 22, 2012
Onlytruth:

That airport is more important to us than almost every other thing because it would allow us to develop SE economically.
Anyway, I digress. The point I'm making is that the SE has no interest in SS's offshore oil derivation struggle; but if we have concrete infrastructure to show for our support, then it would be worthwhile; else it would simply be self immolation for an uninterested party.

Lol! Its trade, bruv!
I hope that it all goes well and GEJ puts actual concrete that can be seen in the SE, cos it would be catastrophic to let the ball drop.
IMHO, there should be a properly formalised SE/SS pressure/cultural exchange group to hammer out agreements, needs, demands, positions and solutions. Things are a bit too amorphous now, I guess that is what everyone is trying to say here.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Abagworo(m): 4:26am On Mar 22, 2012
You people should not sectionalize or tribalize everything. Look beyond your ethnic group or zone and look at the interest of Nigeria. It is not in the interest of the country to make the North super poor and South-South super rich. We can model out a way of reducing over-population in the North by giving preferential treatment to those with less children.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by DuduNegro: 4:26am On Mar 22, 2012
Onlytruth, I have watched this post from beginning and kept shut. You just said something that I cannot keep quiet about.

In exchange for an International airport, you will support Deltans position on offshore oil. Is that right? Offshore oil is bigger than both you and Delta! Your support on it is irrelevant! Nonetheless, Fed owe you an International Airport. Building an operating International airport in East (. . .will you stop saying SE?) is an obligation of the Federal Govt and you do not have to bargain for it. Tell MASSOB to put heat on your Eastern governors behind and rouse them up to make the airport a reality before GEJ leave office.

West should remain on the fence on this issue. We loose nothing by doing so. Boots, guns and bullets were deployed to our soil for marching and protesting against oil subsidy removal. We are tired of pioneering and leading the forefront of political opposition.

The fact remains solidly clear - the natives and indigenous land and territories need to be clearly defined in relationship to the distance out to sea at which the sovereignty of Nigeria is supreme above that of any of its composite states.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Onlytruth(m): 4:31am On Mar 22, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Onlytruth, I have watched this post from beginning and kept shut. You just said something that I cannot keep quiet about.

In exchange for an International airport, you will support Deltans position on offshore oil. Is that right? Offshore oil is bigger than both you and Delta! Your support on it is irrelevant! Nonetheless, Fed owe you an International Airport. Building an operating International airport in East (. . .will you stop saying SE?) is an obligation of the Federal Govt and you do not have to bargain for it. Tell MASSOB to put heat on your Eastern governors behind and rouse them up to make the airport a reality before GEJ leave office.

West should remain on the fence on this issue. We loose nothing by doing so. Boots, guns and bullets were deployed to our soil for marching and protesting against oil subsidy removal. We are tired of pioneering and leading the forefront of political opposition.

The fact remains solidly clear - the natives and indigenous land and territories need to be clearly defined in relationship to the distance out to sea at which the sovereignty of Nigeria is supreme above that of any of its composite states.

I agree with all the bolded. BTW I am not exchanging the airport for support. I'm only giving an example of proof of physical infrastructure.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 4:55am On Mar 22, 2012
So, is that the idea they are trying to prove that offshore is in the North with that? They should source for other resources than waiting for oil derivatives or whatsoever. The Northerners are just too lazy!
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 5:00am On Mar 22, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Onlytruth, I have watched this post from beginning and kept shut. You just said something that I cannot keep quiet about.

Were did we hear this now familiar argument before? Aaaah! It was that boko haram was an ND/core-North issue so the SW should sit on the fence and spectate. Events have exposed the poverty of sidon look as far as boko haram is concerned.

Last time I looked, Lagos and Ondo had offshore oil interests. Keep on preaching sidon look without thoroughly informing yourself about the layout of the issue at hand. When the time comes, you go still de sidon look, while losing the honey you have.

ND will lose nothing. cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 5:04am On Mar 22, 2012
I have read the thread from beginning till end. The North's position is quite correct on this point. There's limit to what can be claimed on the sea by any state with a subsumed sovereignty under Nigeria.

The real trouble with Nigeria is not the solid unity in the North but the clear fact that such thing as the South does not exist. Going by the scenarios on Nairaland alone which mirror Nigerian reality, the best and the most trusted alliance the West can make is with the North. Only that such alliance should not be made on the basis of a divided West but of course on at least politically harmonious one and be made by people who truly understand the grand scheme of "things". Nigeria is a jungle and being a political gentleman can not fetch you anything in Nigeria.

Of course alternative is to push for a bold reform and restructuring to guarantee a true federal system in which case each unit can develop at its own pace without bordering so much about who controls the center.

1 Like

Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Ufeolorun(m): 6:49am On Mar 22, 2012

Dudu,
The west cannot be neutral here.One way or the other we shall be affected.
1.Ekiti,Oyo,Osun will get more money from the fed.purse
2 Lagos,Ondo,Ogun may lose a lot now and in the future.

We need proper analysis of the situation before taking a position but one thing is certain,we cannot sit on the fence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

SSS Raid Bomb Factory In Kano / Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck / Alex Ekwueme Diagnosed With Chest Infection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.