Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,678 members, 7,823,915 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Ending Off-shore Derivation - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ending Off-shore Derivation (11470 Views)

Borno Gov To Buhari: Give N/east 13% Oil Derivation / 13% Oil Derivation War / On-shore/off-shore Controversy: North Won’t Be Intimidated, Says Niger Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by nduchucks: 8:11pm On Mar 22, 2012
PhysicsQED:
The ludicrous argument promoted by certain people online (ex: Ndu_chucks), and by northern pseudo-intelligentsia in real life, about offshore oil is a feint. The nation, and northerners in particular, should be worried about corrupt politicians, poverty, and terrorism in the north.

Physics, I don't think there is anything ludicrous about being law abiding and respecting the constitution of our great country. I believe that the derivation formular in its current state will be ruled as unconstitutional by the supreme court, if a challenge is ever examined by that court. It will not matter whether you think ending off-shore derivation is ludicrous or not.

You should be promoting constitutional changes instead of crying that opinions contrary to yours are ludicrous and are feints.

TO KEEP NIGERIA ONE IS A TASK THAT MUST BE DONE cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by jpphilips(m): 8:27pm On Mar 22, 2012
koruji:
It is greed that would make someone who lives on land claim resources 200 miles into the ocean. The only reason nations are given the right to 200 miles of sea around their borders is to prevent conflict - that doesn't apply at the sub-national level.

If towns or streets do not lay claim to rivers that flow through land, then they should not claim to own parts of the ocean either.

As someone said, may be the states need to get a higher cut of the funds derived from their land (25%), and a small cut of the offshore funds (5%). The rest becomes national resources to be shared among federating states. It is that simple.

you are a pathetic illetrate. what happened to all the buisnesses on the florida coast after the Bp gulf of mexico spill?
buisnesses closed down and the American govt ensured the affected buisnesses were compensated, are the americans stupid?

for every exxon offshore spill finds itself along the coast of IBENO and it affects their buisnesses.
the beach is f.ucked and people dont want oil stains on their shoes during beach hang out.

that is the geographical cross akwaibom is carrying .

do you know how much revenue ibeno beach is supposed to be generating for the Akwaibom state govt if not for offshore activities?

do you know how many buisnesses that ordinary should be sited there for revenue generation?

have you heard of surfing college before? what about sea food restraunt? beach recreation and parks? aquarium? jetty diving? beach soccer tournaments, etc
none of these buisness activities can thrive in akwaibom state thanks to offshore oil production, what about underground water contamination? u sincerely think they dont deserve their 13%?

did the spill go to kano? kaduna nko? anambra?

obasanjo did what is noble by activating the onshore offshore dichotomy, these northerners want to be mischievious.

ibeno community and all communiities along the coast of the Gulf of guinea have all lost their lively hood thanks to offshore drilling and you think they dont deserve what they get?

sanusi and his nrothern brothers should leave the south alone and harness the potential of islamic banking for their industrialization since that is the best his timid Islamic sharia infested brain could come up with, after destroying the banking institution of chukwuma soludo.

we used to have 20 solid financial institutions but today we are stuck with only GTB and first bank thanks to sanusi's vodoo economics, useless northerners , palm oil money no be oil money?
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by mufikings(m): 8:33pm On Mar 22, 2012
we all own nothing, absolutely nothing....
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by nduchucks: 8:43pm On Mar 22, 2012
Oga jp philips, your write-ups are more interesting without the name calling and insults. The name callings devalue them. make u no make me find one name for you o.

Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by jpphilips(m): 8:45pm On Mar 22, 2012
ndu_chucks: Oga jp philips, your write-ups are more interesting without the name calling and insults. The name callings devalue them. make u no make me find one name for you o.

i can stand the devil himself when it comes to Nairaland tantrums
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 8:49pm On Mar 22, 2012
Abagworo:
I wonder what you call development. When your people are short changed, you now feel good with yourself even in the face of living in the most inhuman condition on earth. Delta is not developed one bit. Asaba is liveable but the rest is funny. I've been to Ughelli, Agbor, Warri, Sapele and Asaba. Only Port Harcourt is developed in the 3 States and is not up to what it should be as Africa's oil capital.

Beaf, you should be careful before you travel to the riverine area and tell them that they are developed. Have you ever visited the illegal refineries? Have you ever been to fishing settlements? Beaf everybody is not comfortable like you. I will suggest an option to true federalism in due course because I don't see that happening soon.

I do not mean the ND is like a developed country by any means. No part of Nigeria is.
What I'm saying is that the majority of people who just lump insults at the ND as underdeveloped are doing so out of gross ignorance, because the place is more developed than most of Nigeria. And that is the truth, there are places you travel through and only see iroko trees or little hamlets in savannah areas so vast, you will be convinced that you can spot Ethiopia in the distance.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by codedguy1(m): 8:58pm On Mar 22, 2012
I have been reading and trying to weigh both sides of the arguements. well i think there is a moral/emotion and constitutional angle to this arguement (pls i know the constitution overides any emotional position) but in Naija i think emotions are running high that no one should ignore. Emotions is what will eventually lead us to breakup regardless of a fake impossed constitution.

How can a people who dont seem to want any other tribe /relegion exist in there so called land start talking about oil money that has no bearing on this so called land. People that want to declare a part of the country an islamic state by force and even go to the lenght of killing people who went about their business in a peaceful way, just because these people migrated to their lands. they declare sharia and then want to declare who owns what in this country. 9phuck the constitution).

I blame the south, all we need to do is seceed and all this nonsense will stop. they MIGHT have a reasonable arguement SOMEHOW backed by the constitution, depending on interpretation anyway, but think its time we put all these parasites where they belong.

Whats the process of secession? we need to start that now, let everything scatter sef angry
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Beaf: 9:06pm On Mar 22, 2012
noiseless: @beaf. As much as you know that many of us are ready to let every obstacles be kicked out of the way, so we can really move on, but you must also agree with me that you guys are not doing enough if at all there is anything to convince the scapetics,like really being bold and steping up the alliance or is there something already going on which we haven't heard. You guys first start being really serious and just mere sporadic statement as you know the enemy is already at his old games again. Finally it will be most imortant for you guys to start from every level,the vilages,towns/cities and states set a program and start a project and lunch it and carry the people that matters in your side with you and commission send deligates to your counterparts in the alliance to be, and start sorting/bridging the gaps in a negotiation table, have a head to head talks with them if you really want to be taken serious about this alliace, as you all know that you guys need to be in the forfront of all these as we igbos just like always can be viewed with suspicious should we be the ones making the move due to the way northerners have forced many of you to see us, and again gej has to be more bold in achieving these things by empowering his kinsmen to start looking eastward, but the frustrating issues here are that we only hear ones in while about this alliace mostly on papers with no really actions, and mind you that international airport and second niger bridge are not what i'm talking about here, i'm talking about social,cultural and political activities in various levels, orderwise it means we are still just bla bla bla! and we all know the igbos and south south don't just talk but do the walk as well, so why all these too much talks now with nothing like activities/actions or there still that unfounded belief that "oh it's our oil the igbos want or someting"lol!

These are wonderful ideas indeed. I've canvassed some of them and am glad to see that someone else shares the same ideas.
These things really need building as a matter of priority, especially from the grassroots as you have suggested. It is a mammoth task though, but I am sure it can be accomplished. It will take time though, for the alliances to percolate down from top level, but I agree that it needs to be aggressively driven and I hope GEJ and his people understand this, cos a lot lies in it.

As for '"oh it's our oil the igbos want or someting"lol!' grin, please, approach, respect, trust building, equity and direction are more important. In any event, Igbo's too have some oil.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by essangE(m): 9:36pm On Mar 22, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Physics, I don't think there is anything ludicrous about being law abiding and respecting the constitution of our great country. I believe that the derivation formular in its current state will be ruled as unconstitutional by the supreme court, if a challenge is ever examined by that court. It will not matter whether you think ending off-shore derivation is ludicrous or not.

You should be promoting constitutional changes instead of crying that opinions contrary to yours are ludicrous and are feints.

@ndu_chucks: and who made the bloody constitution?...is it not the same northerners?.....so as to rip us off our oil?...were the south-south part of the constitutional arrangement?.....n u expect us to foolishly fall for your antics?....is it our fault, God gave us crude oil and gave you palm oil?
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by noiseless: 10:22pm On Mar 22, 2012
@essangE. Which palm oil did God give to the north? groundnuts was what they use to have but now they have either abandoned all that or kept everything they have including solid minerals to themselves by taping them illegally,but are more interested in making sure that everything that is found in the south is looted dry before they can push the "INFIDELS" out of the way to form there islamia republic. How could these people be not ashamed of their killings of the same "INFIDELS" in their lands and yet have interest in what comes from their land, is this not sheer evil?
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Dede1(m): 10:27pm On Mar 22, 2012
Off-shore crude oil belongs to all Nigerians baring none. In fact, on-shore crude oil also belongs to all Nigerians except minor adjustments on the revenue allocation. Any activity inside the 200 nautical miles off the coast of Nigeria is an issue of responsibility that rests entirely on the shoulder of federal government of Nigeria not the state government.

When Bakassi issue erupted as Cameroonian army encroached into the territories considered Nigerian, it was not Cross River State’s army that reacted to such encroachment. It is foolhardy for any sane person to consider off shore crude oil as particular state’s endowment.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Callotti: 10:32pm On Mar 22, 2012
Good boy! wink
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by essangE(m): 10:36pm On Mar 22, 2012
Dede1: Off-shore crude oil belongs to all Nigerians baring none. In fact, on-shore crude oil also belongs to all Nigerians except minor adjustments on the revenue allocation. Any activity inside the 200 nautical miles off the coast of Nigeria is an issue of responsibility that rests entirely on the shoulder of federal government of Nigeria not the state government.

When Bakassi issue erupted as Cameroonian army encroached into the territories considered Nigerian, it was not Cross River State’s army that reacted to such encroachment. It is foolhardy for any sane person to consider off shore crude oil as particular state’s endowment.
@dede: which one is ''cross river state army''?..mumu...security belongs to the exclusive list of federal government...therefore, there is no such thing as a state police or state army, dumb!....or, you just want to talk?...don't say what you don't know.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Nobody: 11:34pm On Mar 22, 2012
essangE:
@dede: which one is ''cross river state army''?..mumu...security belongs to the exclusive list of federal government...therefore, there is no such thing as a state police or state army, dumb!....or, you just want to talk?...don't say what you don't know.

just like offshore oil also belongs to the federal government.
why do some of you refuse to use your heads? abi na de oyel don pollute una brain?
haba for dis kain illiteracy
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by ektbear: 12:48am On Mar 23, 2012
why does offshore belong to the FG, but onshore not?

Which law says this?
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by DuduNegro: 4:39am On Mar 23, 2012
Ufeolorun and Ekt,

On the issue of whether or not Yoruba should make a move on the offshore question, I want to draw your attention to two facts:

1. The reason Azikiwe carved MidWest out of Western Region was not because the Mid Westerners were agitating for separation or independence, it was because Zik intended on keeping oil wealth and ownership in the Eastern region. This happened in 1965 with a constitutional amendment.

2. The reason Gowon carved Rivers and East Central State out of Eastern Region was because (a) the Deltans wanted separation and indeendence from East; (b) to de-spirit Ojukwu from secession. This happened in 1967 with the issuance of a decree.

The regions are antagonizing one another over the Delta. Well, let's talk about the Delta. It's divided into three sectors -

1. West Delta
2. Mid Delta
3. East Delta

Only the West and East Delta are restive, the Middle Delta is not. West Delta is owned by Itsekiri (Yoruba); East Delta is owned by Efik (Ibibio, Annang and Efik) and Mid Delta is owned by Ijaw and Ogoni.

Igbos lay claim to parts of Ijaw land as their ancestral domain. Ijaws on the other hand has been encroaching on ancestral lands and territories that belonged to Itsekiri and Ogoni. People are bringing trouble to Ijaw or Ijaw is bringing trouble to others. There is plenty ethnic palaver in the Delta and is all localized to Ijaws of the mid Delta.

The global oil corporations that drill our oil are bigger and stronger, politically, than our country. They manipulate and dictate our oil policies, they are constantly assessing their risks and where the sovereignty of Nigeria might take it. If the Delta people (Itsekiri, Ijaw, Ogoni, Efik, Ibibio, Annang) have a better promise for economic partnership than they are enjoying from Nigeria, then they will be more upfront and interested in dissolving Nigeria so they can form new alliance with Delta over its oil.

No one can deny that Nigeria is socially stagnant and politically wrecked. So why is Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Texaco and the rest of these mega global oil monopolists comfortable in the risks of stagnation and wreckage?

It's because the North/South social dynamics and political antagonism is just the proper measure of recipe that is needed to keep us embittered at one another but not at the foreigners that are at the root of our political problems. Our stagnation and wreckage is a great risk to their economic interest, but if Nigeria dissolves, then Delta will splinter and dissolve also and they will then have to deal with a partner that has no internal enemy - the venom that had hitherto been directed against Hausa will now be aimed at them and from each of the three different sovereignties in which the three Deltas are now housed.

West Delta belongs to Itsekiri, there is no trouble in Itsekiri. There is a reason why GEJ is there and there is a reason why bokoharam is loose, there is a dynamics to the political unveiling. We should allow Ijaw to ruin itself if it wants to! Hausa did not just wake up one day and started fishing in Constitution for loopholes to exploit or seeking understanding on off shore oil and meaning of contigous coastline and continental shelf. Oil is in the South, if the Northerner does not understand his position in its ownership then he will have no grievance against derivation formula and its inequity. If he is shown the interpretation and its understanding and told how to manipulate the loopholes in the constitution to claim ownership, then he will have an awakening that puts him in direct confrontation with the Southerners.

There is no tragedy, it's all drama!! The hero and the villain in a tussle. If you allow the hero to kill the villain, then heroism ends there. You only allow humiliation so the villain can flee and prepare for a vengeance. By alternating their turn at humiliation, the fight lasts forever and the hero never dies.

Whether offshore oil is co-owned by the sovereignty or not, Yoruba needs to sit on the fence and work our collective interests toward 2015. . .we have been out of power for 8yrs or longer, we need to get back in it and consolidate our political influence. What we need to get upset and mad about is Ijaw's foolishness for bringing its trouble into West Delta. That's our people and our frontier and we should defend every one of our citizens and every piece of our land.

eni ti ose bi Ibadan laari, Ibadan o se bi baba eni kankan!! lmao!
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Onlytruth(m): 5:34am On Mar 23, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Ufeolorun and Ekt,

On the issue of whether or not Yoruba should make a move on the offshore question, I want to draw your attention to two facts:

1. The reason Azikiwe carved MidWest out of Western Region was not because the Mid Westerners were agitating for separation or independence, it was because Zik intended on keeping oil wealth and ownership in the Eastern region. This happened in 1965 with a constitutional amendment.

This is a historical fallacy because I have seen the referendum conducted in the Mid-west that led to the creation of the region, the ONLY political zone ever created in Nigeria by popular demand following a referedum.
This lie is shameful.

2. The reason Gowon carved Rivers and East Central State out of Eastern Region was because (a) the Deltans wanted separation and indeendence from East; (b) to de-spirit Ojukwu from secession. This happened in 1967 with the issuance of a decree.

This is another lie because the creation of Rivers and SE states was a MILITAY FIAT. There was no referendum conducted in the two areas before the states were created.You are only correct that Gowon wanted to despirite Ojukwu and sow a seed of divide and conquer in Eastern Nigeria to make it easier to defeat and exploit.

[s]The regions are antagonizing one another over the Delta. Well, let's talk about the Delta. It's divided into three sectors -

1. West Delta
2. Mid Delta
3. East Delta

Only the West and East Delta are restive, the Middle Delta is not. West Delta is owned by Itsekiri (Yoruba); East Delta is owned by Efik (Ibibio, Annang and Efik) and Mid Delta is owned by Ijaw and Ogoni.

Igbos lay claim to parts of Ijaw land as their ancestral domain. Ijaws on the other hand has been encroaching on ancestral lands and territories that belonged to Itsekiri and Ogoni. People are bringing trouble to Ijaw or Ijaw is bringing trouble to others. There is plenty ethnic palaver in the Delta and is all localized to Ijaws of the mid Delta.

The global oil corporations that drill our oil are bigger and stronger, politically, than our country. They manipulate and dictate our oil policies, they are constantly assessing their risks and where the sovereignty of Nigeria might take it. If the Delta people (Itsekiri, Ijaw, Ogoni, Efik, Ibibio, Annang) have a better promise for economic partnership than they are enjoying from Nigeria, then they will be more upfront and interested in dissolving Nigeria so they can form new alliance with Delta over its oil.

No one can deny that Nigeria is socially stagnant and politically wrecked. So why is Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Texaco and the rest of these mega global oil monopolists comfortable in the risks of stagnation and wreckage?

It's because the North/South social dynamics and political antagonism is just the proper measure of recipe that is needed to keep us embittered at one another but not at the foreigners that are at the root of our political problems. Our stagnation and wreckage is a great risk to their economic interest, but if Nigeria dissolves, then Delta will splinter and dissolve also and they will then have to deal with a partner that has no internal enemy - the venom that had hitherto been directed against Hausa will now be aimed at them and from each of the three different sovereignties in which the three Deltas are now housed.

West Delta belongs to Itsekiri, there is no trouble in Itsekiri. There is a reason why GEJ is there and there is a reason why bokoharam is loose, there is a dynamics to the political unveiling. We should allow Ijaw to ruin itself if it wants to! Hausa did not just wake up one day and started fishing in Constitution for loopholes to exploit or seeking understanding on off shore oil and meaning of contigous coastline and continental shelf. Oil is in the South, if the Northerner does not understand his position in its ownership then he will have no grievance against derivation formula and its inequity. If he is shown the interpretation and its understanding and told how to manipulate the loopholes in the constitution to claim ownership, then he will have an awakening that puts him in direct confrontation with the Southerners.

There is no tragedy, it's all drama!! The hero and the villain in a tussle. If you allow the hero to kill the villain, then heroism ends there. You only allow humiliation so the villain can flee and prepare for a vengeance. By alternating their turn at humiliation, the fight lasts forever and the hero never dies.

Whether offshore oil is co-owned by the sovereignty or not, Yoruba needs to sit on the fence and work our collective interests toward 2015. . .we have been out of power for 8yrs or longer, we need to get back in it and consolidate our political influence. What we need to get upset and mad about is Ijaw's foolishness for bringing its trouble into West Delta. That's our people and our frontier and we should defend every one of our citizens and every piece of our land.

eni ti ose bi Ibadan laari, Ibadan o se bi baba eni kankan!! lmao!
[/s]

The rest of your post above is pure drivel. cool

@Post,

Ndigbo should continue to support our fellow Eastern Nigerians in their fight to retain the 13% derivation.
We have no choice because we cannot kill someone we would end up mourning. cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Onlytruth(m): 5:36am On Mar 23, 2012
My brother[b] FACE[/b] please take note. cool
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by koruji(m): 5:59am On Mar 23, 2012
And you consider yourself literate with all these ranting? What you are addressing is not the offshore question, but damage to the coastline of a state. A state should not own resources that are 200 miles out to sea because it has a land border with the ocean. To insist otherwise, is ludicrous. Simple as a ABC.

If you are not quick to call people names you will notice that in one of my replies I suggested that Nigerian states be allowed to own up to 10 miles along their coast. In another reply someone suggested a 25% onshore/5% offshore derivation, and I agreed with him that this is a possibility.

As I was replying to your rant I thought about what the USA does. And you know what? States do not even own up to 10 miles into the ocean:

Each coastal state owns the territory extending 3 nautical miles (6 km) from the shore at mean low tide, and has jurisdiction to decide whether or not, and under what terms, to lease the territory for oil and gas. Exceptions include Texas and the west coast of Florida, which for historical reasons own the seabed out to 9 nautical miles (17 km) from the shore. Louisiana is included in the 3 nautical mile rule, but because it had active offshore leases defined before 1950 (and before most other states), its territory is measured using the Admiralty Nautical Mile, while other states use the International Nautical Mile, adopted by the United States in 1954.

All the issues you raised are probably legitimate, but they do not constitute a valid argument against the proper treatment of offshore resources. In fact this approach to issues is why our corrupt politicians find it easy to steal us blind. If we insist on the constitution, appropriately revised, as our basis for conducting Nigeria's affairs we will go a long way to bringing this drowning nation back from the deep end.

What a state should do is sue any company that damages its territory whether onshore or offshore, and get adequate compenstation. But where are you going to find competent state governors in the ND - when they are all brain-dead from stealing and stuffing themselves with the people's resources?

jp philips:
you are a pathetic illetrate. what happened to all the buisnesses on the florida coast after the Bp gulf of mexico spill?
buisnesses closed down and the American govt ensured the affected buisnesses were compensated, are the americans stupid?

for every exxon offshore spill finds itself along the coast of IBENO and it affects their buisnesses.
the beach is f.ucked and people dont want oil stains on their shoes during beach hang out.

that is the geographical cross akwaibom is carrying .

do you know how much revenue ibeno beach is supposed to be generating for the Akwaibom state govt if not for offshore activities?

do you know how many buisnesses that ordinary should be sited there for revenue generation?

have you heard of surfing college before? what about sea food restraunt? beach recreation and parks? aquarium? jetty diving? beach soccer tournaments, etc
none of these buisness activities can thrive in akwaibom state thanks to offshore oil production, what about underground water contamination? u sincerely think they dont deserve their 13%?

did the spill go to kano? kaduna nko? anambra?

obasanjo did what is noble by activating the onshore offshore dichotomy, these northerners want to be mischievious.

ibeno community and all communiities along the coast of the Gulf of guinea have all lost their lively hood thanks to offshore drilling and you think they dont deserve what they get?

sanusi and his nrothern brothers should leave the south alone and harness the potential of islamic banking for their industrialization since that is the best his timid Islamic sharia infested brain could come up with, after destroying the banking institution of chukwuma soludo.

we used to have 20 solid financial institutions but today we are stuck with only GTB and first bank thanks to sanusi's vodoo economics, useless northerners , palm oil money no be oil money?
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by strangerf: 6:09am On Mar 23, 2012
All these pseudo-intellectuals have started again with their stupiddd back and forth argument that has neither a thoughtful plot nor a logical structure . . . mumbo jumbo from beginning to end.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Abagworo(m): 7:23am On Mar 23, 2012
Beaf:

I do not mean the ND is like a developed country by any means. No part of Nigeria is.
What I'm saying is that the majority of people who just lump insults at the ND as underdeveloped are doing so out of gross ignorance, because the place is more developed than most of Nigeria. And that is the truth, there are places you travel through and only see iroko trees or little hamlets in savannah areas so vast, you will be convinced that you can spot Ethiopia in the distance.

I get your point. The ND is actually developed compared with most of Nigeria apart from say Lagos but a lot is still missing and its not yet time to relax and shout eureka!.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by ektbear: 7:27am On Mar 23, 2012
Dudu_Negro: I am not sure of the significance of most of your post...it isn't an issue of Delta or whatever to me.

Long story short, coastal states own whatever is in their waters.

Any argument one wants to use for why derivation should apply to LAND should also apply to the water attached to that land.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Iolo(m): 11:20am On Mar 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Dudu_Negro: I am not sure of the significance of most of your post...it isn't an issue of Delta or whatever to me.

Long story short, coastal states own whatever is in their waters.

Any argument one wants to use for why derivation should apply to LAND should also apply to the water attached to that land.

Coastal states actually don't own any portion of the waters in Nigeria. According to our laws they don't. The Northerners have a point but Bleep it, they've been cheating us for a long time too so I guess they can leave with it.

Long story short, GEJ can offer states 50% derivation for onshore oils, 15% for those within 10-50miles and 5% for beyond. All the 36 states can be party to the 5% since its on FG property deep sea.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Dede1(m): 12:45pm On Mar 23, 2012
essangE:

Most Nigerians are very silly and dumb. Some of then can read but comprehend a simply twist in a sentence or phrase. Yet they will be first and loudest to insult their superiors in a debate. It is nice you have displayed abject deficiency in comprehension.

Of course, every average breathing human being knows Cross State does not have an army and as such does not control an iota of what happens at the boundary or territorial waters of Nigeria. States are none entities in the issues predicated upon international boundary. The crude oil activities or other activities on the territorial waters of Nigeria remain exclusive domain of the federal government of Nigeria. Do we have to induce jerks to think abstractly?

I guess we need to divide Nigeria very urgently. There are too many morons parading as human beings in the country. The last thing I need is to share nationality with such idiotic dingbats
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by DuduNegro: 7:01pm On Mar 23, 2012
{quote]Any argument one wants to use for why derivation should apply to LAND should also apply to the water attached to that land{/quote]

ekt,

Ideally it should! By international treaties and arrangements that sets peace protocols between sovereignties, many of which Nigeria is signatory to, the sea bed and continental shelf is extended out beyond the contigous costal line to form a protectoratoe zone or political zone exclusive to individual Nations with a shore line. This zone also includes in it an economic zone. Most of the offshore oil activities we are discussing are located far out beyond 25miles (40kilometers) of the coastal edge and very distant from community and settlements.

There is no Delta fisherman that goes 25miles into Atlantic ocean in search of subsistence fishing. You have to be a commercial fisherman to go that far out. Commercial fishing is a commercial activity that is allowed within this zone and thus taxable to the Fed. The tax benefits all the 36 States and FCT. In similar manner, oil exploration in this zone is a commercial activity and its accruals should and must benefit all the 36 states and the FCT.

There is nothing beyond, say, 10miles out into the sea that protects a native land as indigenous ethnic territory, unless such ethnicity is contigous and incidental with the sovereignty under which the treaty of the protocol is signed. Their rights and hold of ownership over any land and territory ends at a certain X miles into the sea. Off shore oil activities are outside of X.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by afrodiva: 2:48pm On Apr 29, 2012
KnowAll: The argument the littoral states put forward claiming sovereignty over water bodies that lies 200 km South off their coast should be a 2 way street argument. On the one hand they can claim water bodies 200km from their shores, yet they cannot claim land bodies 200 km North , East and West off their state. If that were possible Port Harcourt or better still Rivers State should be claiming lands as far North as lands in current Benue State and as Far East as lands in Doaula in Cameroon or land as far west as Ilaje or Okitipupa in Ondo state.

The claims I must say are baseless and and a no brainer.
imust confess you are the dumbest person on NL. Don't just post for post sakes.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by afrodiva: 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2012
In the first place all monthly allocations to states come from the off shore and onshore oil. Nd states get just 13 meager %. So why all these argument. The fed govt takes the rest so states should ask fgfor more allocation and stop making it look like the nd gets all the dividends.
Re: Ending Off-shore Derivation by Akwafinaaa: 4:56pm On Aug 29, 2012
How the USA does it!

Background

While inland states have historically shared 50 percent of all revenues generated from royalties and bids for onshore oil and natural gas production with the federal government, states producing offshore oil and gas beyond the first three miles of federal waters off of their shores have not. However, this has since changed.

Enacted on December 20, 2006, The Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act (GOMESA) created revenue sharing provisions for several oil and natural gas producing states while increasing access to oil and natural gas supplies in the Gulf of Mexico (Gulf). The revenue sharing provisions allocated a share of oil and natural gas revenues to Alabama, Louisiana, Mississipi and Texas for directly supporting offshore activities and onshore infrastructure.

From 2007 through 2016, the four Gulf oil and gas producing states will share 37.5 percent of revenues from new leases in the 0.5 million acres in the Eastern Gulf and the 5.8 million acres in the Central Gulf. After 2016, they will share 37.5 percent of revenues from all Gulf leases issued after December 2006.

Importance of revenue sharing for local governments, states and consumers
Revenue sharing from production on federal waters is critical, as it significantly benefits local governments, promotes national economic interests and generates additional federal revenues by increasing state and local participation. Such sharing facilitates a closer partnership among federal, state, and local agencies. Individual states are also afforded additional opportunities to dedicate funds to vital coastal areas and projects, such as coastal conservation, restoration and hurricane protection. In fact, Louisiana has directed that all monies derived from offshore revenue sharing go to coastal protection, wetland mitigation efforts and hurricane protection measures.

Other states have recently expressed a desire to receive the same benefits from oil and gas production off of their coasts, similar to those received by the Gulf states. Several coastal states, such as Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia, have expressed interest in understanding more about their available offshore resources and the royalty revenues that could be derived if development were to occur.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Interesting Thing About Association Of Witches And Wizards In Nigeria / Corruption In Africa: Keynote Speech By Professor Patrick L.O. Lumumba Of Kenya / Abuja Natives Decry Omission From Ministerial List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.