Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,017 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (8623 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / 5 Birthday Gift You Must Present To Jesus Christ Today. / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 2:31pm On Apr 02, 2012
snthesis:

a parable is defined as a simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson.
one of the lessons to be learnt from the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus is once you are dead there is no more repentance, nothing like purgatory, else the RIch man was clearly repentant or he could have asked that Lazarus be sent to his brothers to pray for the forgiveness of his sin in "purgatory".

At your insistence, I yield.

@cgift
I'm loving your contribution. The Ecclesiastes passage spirit returns to Spirit source and dust returns to dust. This raises interesting points of the issue of Identity again. The Problem of Identity. When something is made up of composite parts then wherein lies the identity of the thing. If the hull of Theseus' ship is replace, and then at a later date the sails are replaced and then at a later date . . . slowly by slowly every part of the ship is replaced can we really still call the ship Theseus' ship.

I recall a conversation I had with Olabowale (I miss the days when one could actually have a conversation with him) where we were discussing Ruh, and nafs. He said something about Nafs being the product of Ruh mixing into the flesh. So Nafs is Ruh when it mixes with the flesh. In other words the soul only exists when the spirit is in the body. But does that mean that when the spirit and the dust are separated that the person ceases to exist. That was the position of the Sadducees and one that Jesus and the Pharisees were opposed against. In fact some scholars believe that this was the original Jewish belief and that the pharisees brought in the innovation of life after death later.

I love cgift's conjectures. It suggests that there have been offered 3 (and therefore possibly more undiscovered ) routes to salvation in the bible.

First- Salvation via the Ark

Second- Salvation via the Mosiac Law

third - Salvation via the sacrifice of Christ.

However it leaves me wondering about those that died prior even to when Noah began 'preparing the Ark'.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 3:10pm On Apr 02, 2012
[b]@chukwudi44

[size=14pt]i want to appreciate your loyalty to your catholic faith, but unfortunately, your own people has disappointed you, how?[/size]
your quote below;
The whole essence of this thread is whether purgatory is scriptural or not.This I have been able to proove with the aforementioned bible passages [size=14pt]it's scriptural basis.I wonder how you arrived at that conclusion[/size] despite having read all these bible passages.
[size=14pt]why i arrived at that conclusion willbe treated below.[/size]
in you previous defination 1and 2,of purgatory,(quoted below)

Purgatory or state of purgation is alluded to in several other bible passages besides the ones I have already mentioned on this thread. 1 cor 3:15 mentions that some people would be saved through fire while others would not suffer any loss based on the quality of their works.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15

New International Version (NIV)

11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

66. chukwudi44: Quote Post
Also in the gospel of mattew 12:32 Jesus made mention of forgiveness "in the age to come" signifying that people could also be forgiven after this present age.

Matthew 12:32

New International Version (NIV)

32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

[size=14pt]you quoted mattew 12 :32, 1 Corinthians 3:11-15, in your defination,and it agrees with the catholic encyclopedia's same bible quotes below;
[/size]
[size=14pt]After reviewing what Catholic writers have said regarding such texts as 2 Maccabees 12:39-45, Matthew 12:32, and 1 Corinthians 3:10-15, the New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967, Vol. XI, p. 1034) acknowledges: “In the final analysis, the Catholic doctrine on purgatory is based on tradition, not Sacred Scripture.”[/size]

but then,when i read the bible verses,they were taken completely out of context,only for me to see that you have deliberatey excluded accompanying quoted maccabbes (2 Maccabees 12:39-45)quoted first,for people to understand the next quoted mattew 12 :32, 1 Corinthians 3:11-15,

now,it has been established by catholics themselves that adopted maccabees as a scripture,and included it in its scripture,isnt it?

you claimed that catholic 'purgatory' concept is scriptural, but it contradicts the catholic's basis of 'purgatory,you said that you dont know how i arrived at that,but i believed that you should have dig into the catholic 'fundamental beliefs' before you choose to defend it.but i want you to confirm my findings,and i want others to 'search for my quotes from the catholic encyclopedia 'as my witness' as a confirm proof against your assertion that 'porgatory is scriptural'.

they say that 'you cant be rome,than the pope',We also thank God that technology allows us to have quick access to 'recorded history of the catholics'and the 'catholic encyclopedias',thats why i loved white men,they keep records,so;
[size=16pt]what is the catholic's basis for purgatory?,
lets see what catholic itself admits to be their basis for 'purgatory' quoting from their encyclopedia;
[/size]
[size=14pt](1) the New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967, Vol. XI, p. 1034)
“In the final analysis, the Catholic doctrine on purgatory is based on tradition, not Sacred Scripture.”

(2)New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XI, p. 1036, 1037.

“Many think that the total suffering of purgatory is identified with the awareness of the temporary postponement of the beatific vision, although the more common view holds that, in addition to this, there is some positive punishment . . . In the Latin Church it has been generally maintained that this pain is imposed through real fire. This is not, however, essential to belief in purgatory. It is not even certain. . . . Even if one chooses, with the theologians of the East, to reject the idea of suffering induced by fire, one should be careful not to exclude all positive suffering from purgatory. There are still real affliction, sorrow, chagrin, shame of conscience, and other spiritual sorrows capable of inflicting true pain on the soul. . . . One should remember, at any rate, that in the midst of their sufferings these souls also experience great joy over the certainty of salvation.”—

(3)“What goes on in purgatory is anyone’s guess.”—U.S. Catholic, March 1981, p. 9.

(4)“The church has relied on tradition to support a middle ground between heaven and hell.”—U.S. Catholic, March 1981, p. 7.

confirm these first i dont mind wasting time to proove it from 'catholics own books'

[/size]
search 'the libraries' or go to the'net libraries' if you dont mind i can send you volumes of 'catholic encyclopedia in pdf files, to copy,just give me your mail or i can send you their confirm website,i think you must be aquainted all with these undisputable facts coming out from catholics own books .

now, if purgatory's basis is tradition, then can you say that catholics are not guilty of why jesus condemn the pharisees;

Matthew 15:3-6
New King James Version (NKJV)
3 He answered and said to them, [size=14pt]“Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? [/size]4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; [a] and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’[b] 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’[c] [size=14pt]Thus you have made the commandment[d] of God of no effect by your tradition.
[/size]

now,
The written tradition of the pharisee was in loggerhead with the law commandment,and jesus rebuked them.

The bible itself was confirmed 66 books 39 OT and 27 NT,with 40 writers ,and see another warning;Revelation 22:18-19;

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Deuteronomy 4:2

[size=14pt]You shall not add to the word that I command you, [/size]nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

Proverbs 30:5-6

Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him[size=14pt]. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.[/size]

now we have an addition of maccabees,teaching tradition of men against the teaching of the bible.

my point here is that the catholics encyclopedia admitted to this error,far before you(chukwudi) were born
so dont start another topic of when bible was called bible or not,because if we go into that,the page may not contain us and people reading will be bored, all CONFIRMED bibles holy scriptures are 66 books,39 OT and 27 NT,with 40 writers,and God himself the author.

unholy scriptures also exist and that is why christians are warned;

1 John 4:1
4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but [size=14pt]test[/size] the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
thess.5:21
21 Test all things; [size=14pt]hold fast what is good.

[/size]"For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin" (2 Macc. 12:44-45).
"Make friends quickly with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison; truly, I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny" (Matt. 5:25-26).
"Each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire" (1 Cor. 3:13-15).
what do we learn here?

[size=14pt]1# maccabees is not 'part of holy scriptures'
2# catholics admits that based on 'comparing maccabees with other bible verses as in mathew and corinthians above' they admitted that purgatory is not based on 'holy scripture'but tradition.the New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967, Vol. XI, p. 1034) confim pls

[/size][/b]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 02, 2012
[/quote]After reviewing what Catholic writers have said regarding such texts as 2 Maccabees 12:39-45, Matthew 12:32, and 1 Corinthians 3:10-15, the New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967, Vol. XI, p. 1034) acknowledges: “In the final analysis, the Catholic doctrine on purgatory is based on tradition, not Sacred Scripture.”
[quote]

I have searched the catholic encyclopedia online and it dosen't seem to contain these statement.I finally googled this statement and found it in several anti-catholic websites.Maybe you might have to provide the direct link to the catholic encyclopedia where you found these statement for us to discuss
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 02, 2012
[/quoteThe Catholic doctrine of purgatory supposes the fact that some die with smaller faults for which there was no true repentance, and also the fact that the temporal penalty due to sin is it times not wholly paid in this life. The proofs for the Catholic position, both in Scripture and in Tradition, are bound up also with the practice of praying for the dead. For why pray for the dead, if there be no belief in the power of prayer to afford solace to those who as yet are excluded from the sight of God? So true is this position that prayers for the dead and the existence of a place of purgation are mentioned in conjunction in the oldest passages of the Fathers, who allege reasons for succouring departed souls. Those who have opposed the doctrine of purgatory have confessed that prayers for the dead would be an unanswerable argument if the modern doctrine of a "particular judgment" had been received in the early ages. But one has only to read the testimonies hereinafter alleged to feel sure that the Fathers speak, in the same breath, of oblations for the dead and a place of purgation; and one has only to consult the evidence found in the catacombs to feel equally sure that the Christian faith there expressed embraced clearly a belief in judgment immediately after death. Wilpert ("Roma Sotteranea," I, 441) thus concludes chapter 21, "Che tale esaudimento", etc.:][quote]

As the write up above says proofs of the catholic doctrine of purgatory are found both in the sacred scriptures and tradition.What we mean by tradition are the writings of the church fathers.These men had the privilege of working with the apostles or worked with people who met the apostles.Others were involved in the canonisation of the scriptures from the several existing writings that was regarded as scriptures before the bible was compiled in the fourth century.In order words we also got the bible by tradition.These men told us the books we were to read to find the truth.

Like I told you earlier,the gospel,book of acts,hebrews and some others today regarded as scriptures were anonymous.There is no where in the gospels it is written that mattew,mark,luke or John wrote any gospels.We got the identity of these writers by tradition.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
[
[/quote]
but then,when i read the bible verses,they were taken completely out of context,only for me to see that you have deliberatey excluded accompanying quoted maccabbes (2 Maccabees 12:39-45)quoted first,for people to understand the next quoted mattew 12 :32, 1 Corinthians 3:11-15,

now,it has been established by catholics themselves that adopted maccabees as a scripture,and included it in its scripture,isnt it?
quote]

I deliberately ignored posting the quotation from macabees not because I did not consider it to be scripture but because I know you don't believe on it and will discountenance it.The book of macabees has always been in the bible right from the creation of the "collection of scriptures" today known as the bible in 393CE in hippo.It was not added by the catholic church rather it was removed less than 200 yrs in the nineteenth century by protestants.You might want to google it.The first King james bibles printed contained the so-called apocryphals

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm

The link above is for the catholic encyclopdia I quoted above,you might want to provide your own link for that statement.There is no where I found any such statement that purgatorial proof is based on sacred Tradition ALONE[quote][/quote]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 02, 2012
[/quote]If you say a person's immaterial is held up in purgatory, what do you make of this verse:

Ecclesiastes 12:6-8

King James Version (KJV)

7) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

It says the spirit returns to God at death and has not stated that there is any intermediary place.
To refute this therefore, you must demonstrate that though the spirit returns to God, the soul is held up in purgatory for those who have not committed mortal sins.
[quote]

That verse says the spirit returns to God.I would suppose that verse is talking about the righteous departed and not those who died in their sins.I want you to know one thing for sure the souls in purgatory will definitelty end up in heaven so you mighht be right in saying there are only two places of enternal abode.

I don't think a person's soul can be seperated from his spirit as the soul is the spiritual essence of man hence the question of seperation does not arise
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 6:41pm On Apr 02, 2012
TRADITION

The word tradition simply means that which has been handed over. Teachings that are handed down from generation to generation, from teacher to student, are themselves traditions. The Bible is itself part of christian tradition.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by cgift(m): 7:26pm On Apr 02, 2012
chukwudi44:

That verse says the spirit returns to God.I would suppose that verse is talking about the righteous departed and not those who died in their sins.I want you to know one thing for sure the souls in purgatory will definitelty end up in heaven so you mighht be right in saying there are only two places of enternal abode.

I don't think a person's soul can be seperated from his spirit as the soul is the spiritual essence of man hence the question of seperation does not arise

No way Chukwudi. That verse does not subscribe to your interpretations this time. Its an absolute NO!

That scriptures alludes to the fact that all Spirit goes back to God. In

Genesis 2: 7

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

It was the spirit that came into man when God breathe into him that made him a living soul implying that when a man dies, that spirit goes back to God (as supported by Eccl. 12:7) and he becomes lifeless! So, if there is anything like purgatory at all, it is not the spirit that is likely to be held there since that one returns to God. So, what is held up in purgatory? I hope you do see that the issue of separation does arise indeed between spirit and soul. I believe that man is tripartite as seen clearly from that scripture in Genesis.

When you say you want me to know one thing for sure; that the souls in purgatory will end up in heaven, it is not based on facts that purgatory itself is established and neither is it based on the fact that the Will to choose is still there? If someone is in purgatory, does he still have a will to choose whether he still wants cleansing or not? Or is it compulsory that once in purgatory, you have no choice but to be "purged" from the sins you did not fully repent of while you were alive. Have you forgotten that God is a God of freewill? This purgatory thing sounds so antithetical to His mode of dealing with the sons of men. Correct me if I am wrong.

To a very large extent, you will agree with me that there are a lot of innuendoes, twists and turns in the whole purgatory saga which leaves its modus operandi and even the veracity of its existence largely in doubt.

For now, it seems the only verse that supports your view on purgatory is 1st Peter 3: 19. And I have given you my own interpretation of it that. What do you think? It even goes ahead to establish that those who were held up in that prison where those verse 20 Which sometime were (note past tense) disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

You see, it never alluded to present or future prisoners. I want to believe this is clear enough. Do you have any other scripture which we could consider for further discussions on the institution of purgatory?

So, Chuks, lets discuss further.

AIO,

Those who died prior to the time of Noah, if you ask me, na who I go ask? grin As per their own judgement, I am sure some scholars will see you soon wink
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 02, 2012
[
[/quote103. cgift(m): Quote Post

chukwudi44:

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. ]quote]

This verse says God breathed unto man the breathe of life.No way does it say it gave man his holy spirit.If the holy spirit was already in man I now wonder what happened on the day of pentecost.That verse was definitely talking about the rigteous departed whoose spirits would return back to God.It does not include those who died in mortal sins and ended up in hell

@real berni

You can now see that spirits could also be used for humans and not just angels
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2012
[b]@chukwudi44
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2012
[/quote]To a very large extent, you will agree with me that there are a lot of innuendoes, twists and turns in the whole purgatory saga which leaves its modus operandi and even the veracity of its existence largely in doubt.

For now, it seems the only verse that supports your view on purgatory is 1st Peter 3: 19. And I have given you my own interpretation of it that. What do you think? It even goes ahead to establish that those who were held up in that prison where those verse 20 Which sometime were (note past tense) disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

You see, it never alluded to present or future prisoners. I want to believe this is clear enough. Do you have any other scripture which we could consider for further discussions on the institution of purgatory?

So, Chuks, lets discuss further[quote]

You are just assuming that passage only to those who lived during the time of noah but 1 pet 4:4-6 tells us the reason why the good news was preached to the dead in 3:19 no where did it suggest it only applied to those who lived while noah was building the ark.

One more thing the fact that some people doubt the existence of purgatory does not mean it does not exist.I would also like you to explain 1 cor 15:29 and 1 John 5:16-17
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
[/quote]To a very large extent, you will agree with me that there are a lot of innuendoes, twists and turns in the whole purgatory saga which leaves its modus operandi and even the veracity of its existence largely in doubt.

So, Chuks, lets discuss further[quote]

You are just assuming that passage only to those who lived during the time of noah but 1 pet 4:4-6 tells us the reason why the good news was preached to the dead in 3:19 no where did it suggest it only applied to those who lived while noah was building the ark.

One more thing the fact that some people doubt the existence of purgatory does not mean it does not exist.I would also like you to explain 1 cor 15:29 and 1 John 5:16-17
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 02, 2012
real_Berni: [b]@chukwudi44

its very funny now that you start to admit that catholic purgatory is based on 'tradition', you 'hastily' added 'alone',
when i ask the question for the first time,why did you tell me that you dont know where i got my assertions from, see your answer below;
chukwudi earlier quote

i have a copy of same link, but since you have earlier denied that they are not catholics authentic encyclopedia,
[size=14pt]can you deny these facts from your own catholic link below?[/size] that confirm 'the acient tradition of the fathers'
and that the holy synod [size=14pt]enjoins the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached,[/size] held and believed by the faithful

[size=14pt]The faith of the Church concerning purgatory is clearly expressed in the Decree of Union drawn up by the Council of Florence (Mansi, t. XXXI, col. 1031), and in the decree of the Council of Trent which [/size](Sess. XXV) defined:

"Whereas the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has from the Sacred Scriptures and the ancient tradition of the Fathers taught in Councils and very recently in this Ecumenical synod (Sess. VI, cap. Bleep; Sess. XXII cap.ii, iii) [size=14pt]that there is a purgatory, and that the souls therein are helped by the suffrages of the faithful, but principally by the acceptable Sacrifice of the Altar; the Holy Synod enjoins on the Bishops that they diligently endeavor to have the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached, held and believed by the faithful"[/size] (Denzinger, "Enchiridon", 983).

Further than this the definitions of the Church do not go, [size=14pt]but the tradition of the Fathers and the Schoolmen must be consulted to explain the teachings of the councils[/size], and to make clear the belief and the practices of the faithful.

now im vindicated,that catholics mix 'tradition of men with the bible' the way pharisees mixed their rabbi's traditions (forget whatever claim they may have for such)with the scripture.

now both the pharisees and catholics are both guilty,see below again;

3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; [a] and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’[c][size=14pt] Thus you have made the commandment[d] of God of no effect by your tradition.[/size]
will jesus be happy with catholics for doing that?
real_Berni: [b]@chukwudi44

its very funny now that you start to admit that catholic purgatory is based on 'tradition', you 'hastily' added 'alone',
when i ask the question for the first time,why did you tell me that you dont know where i got my assertions from, see your answer below;
chukwudi earlier quote

i have a copy of same link, but since you have earlier denied that they are not catholics authentic encyclopedia,
[size=14pt]can you deny these facts from your own catholic link below?[/size] that confirm 'the acient tradition of the fathers'
and that the holy synod [size=14pt]enjoins the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached,[/size] held and believed by the faithful

[size=14pt]The faith of the Church concerning purgatory is clearly expressed in the Decree of Union drawn up by the Council of Florence (Mansi, t. XXXI, col. 1031), and in the decree of the Council of Trent which [/size](Sess. XXV) defined:

"Whereas the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has from the Sacred Scriptures and the ancient tradition of the Fathers taught in Councils and very recently in this Ecumenical synod (Sess. VI, cap. Bleep; Sess. XXII cap.ii, iii) [size=14pt]that there is a purgatory, and that the souls therein are helped by the suffrages of the faithful, but principally by the acceptable Sacrifice of the Altar; the Holy Synod enjoins on the Bishops that they diligently endeavor to have the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached, held and believed by the faithful"[/size] (Denzinger, "Enchiridon", 983).

Further than this the definitions of the Church do not go, [size=14pt]but the tradition of the Fathers and the Schoolmen must be consulted to explain the teachings of the councils[/size], and to make clear the belief and the practices of the faithful.

now im vindicated,that catholics mix 'tradition of men with the bible' the way pharisees mixed their rabbi's traditions (forget whatever claim they may have for such)with the scripture.

now both the pharisees and catholics are both guilty,see below again;

3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; [a] and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’[c][size=14pt] Thus you have made the commandment[d] of God of no effect by your tradition.[/size]
will jesus be happy with catholics for doing that?
Ol boy you still don't understand the essence of sacred tradition.For the record the catholic church does not practice sola bible as the church existed centuries before the bible was created.Like I earlier told you the bible is part of sacred tradition as the books of the bible was selected through it.The bible itself does not advocate sola bible in any verse and even goes ahead to refer to quote and refer christians to extra-biblical sources like the books of Jasper,Enoch,Nathan,Ahijah,letter to the Ladocieans e.t.c
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 9:12pm On Apr 02, 2012
What commandment of God is transgressed by the doctrine of Purgatory? Purgatory is not something that you practice in contradiction to God's commandment. Or is praying for the departed a transgression of God's law.

I thought real_berni's beef was that there is no scriptural foundation for purgatory.

To be honest I don't think that anything can come of this thread anymore, because of insincerity.

What is this supposed to mean?:

AIO,

Those who died prior to the time of Noah, if you ask me, na who I go ask? As per their own judgement, I am sure some scholars will see you soon

You were the one going on as an authority on Noah and the destination and nature of 'spirits' that died at that time. And what is this about scholars? Are you resorting to personal jibes? I hope not. Please explain yourself.

The fact that something is a tradition does not make it unbiblical. There are allusions to it in the bible.

By the way, you haven't even addressed the source of the doctrine of Holy Trinity. It has been brought up again and again on this thread and I am ready to bet my last pant that you will not address it. How biblical is the Holy Trinity?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 9:13pm On Apr 02, 2012
Please Berni, Can Spirit also be referred to a Human too or not? Have you at least accepted that point?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by goodnewz1(m): 1:31am On Apr 03, 2012
What I will not do is to ARGUE God's Word (the scripture)
And again, bear it in mind that u can't Understand the scriptures with ur human sense or intellectual knowledge.
The bible says "for now we see... 1Corinthian 13:11-12.
And if u are in this forum, yet not born again that's(personal decision to accept Jesus Christ as ur Lord and Saviour)
Do it now, I mean now as u are reading this write-up.
because if u die WITHOUT been born again, u go to hell (where u surfer before the final judgement of God which is Lake of fire (second death)
--go and read the book of Revelation 21:8, 20:10 -15.
Nevertheless Jesus loves u my bro/sis,
Accept Him today and this will be ur potion: John3:16 and so many other glorious promises of God. Revelation 21:1-7,
God bless you all !

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 7:27am On Apr 03, 2012
goodnewz1: What I will not do is to ARGUE God's Word (the scripture)
And again, bear it in mind that u can't Understand the scriptures with ur human sense or intellectual knowledge.
The bible says "for now we see... 1Corinthian 13:11-12.
And if u are in this forum, yet not born again that's(personal decision to accept Jesus Christ as ur Lord and Saviour)
Do it now, I mean now as u are reading this write-up.
because if u die WITHOUT been born again, u go to hell (where u surfer before the final judgement of God which is Lake of fire (second death)
--go and read the book of Revelation 21:8, 20:10 -15.
Nevertheless Jesus loves u my bro/sis,
Accept Him today and this will be ur potion: John3:16 and so many other glorious promises of God. Revelation 21:1-7,
God bless you all !

[size=17pt]Rubbish!! Complete and utter nonsense.[/size]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by cgift(m): 9:09am On Apr 03, 2012
chukwudi44:

You are just assuming that passage only to those who lived during the time of noah but [b]1 pet 4:4-6
tells us the reason why the good news was preached to the dead [/b]in 3:19 no where did it suggest it only applied to those who lived while noah was building the ark.

Chuks my guy,

Thanks for your response. I am pleased you are sustaining the momentum but we must put thins in proper perspective and not take things out of context. I am sure Berni took time out to explain 1 Peter 4 : 4-6 in earlier discourse. If I remember, she took time to explain how the verses in 4- 6 cannot be taken out of the context and tied to what was being discussed in Chapter 3 about the issue of the prison. Why take us back again?

Briefly, running through

1 Peter 4:

3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

In bible studies, you get a better clue as per what is being discussed when you look at the preceding verses before the verse of interest. The Bible describes us as DEAD in our sins (see Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasseswink

The dead being referred to therefore implies those who who dead to the Life and Love of God and are walking in sin desribed in many words as "lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries" in 1 Pet. 4 above.

It does not have any connections to your assertions about the prisons.

You are right in saying that the fact people do not believe in it does not stop it from existing? Very correct and that is why we are having this discourse but a great deal of burden relies on you to convince your audience and even perhaps yourself in so doing on the truthfulness of some doctrines which we hold dearly unto but with very shaky foundations.

Would something that serious and important in the overall salvation of a man and transition from this earthly realm to the kingdom of God be left to such ambiguities and whimsical interpretations of men relying on mere allusions as against real substance from the Word of God? I do not think so.

I Cor. 15:29

Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?

The context of this passage is one in which Paul is arguing on behalf of the doctrine of the bodily resurrection.Throughout this chapter, Paul gives one argument after another showing that Christians legitimately believe in a resurrection.

Now his argument takes a new turn. This new turn is introduced in verse 29, but that is not a stand-alone verse. It must be read in its context.

Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them? 30 Why are we also in danger every hour? 31 [/b]I protest, brethren, by the boasting in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. [b]32 If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die. (1 Corinthians 15:29-32).

We notice immediately that this verse appears in a context of suffering. There is are the following elements described:

* Danger (15:30)
* Dying (15:21)
* Fighting wild beasts (15:32).

This is the language of persecution and martyrdom.

Here is the question. If there is no bodily resurrection, then why should I risk my life by holding onto my Christian faith? In Paul’s day, it was not healthy to be a Christian. Paul himself had suffered many things for the cause of Christ. He had been beaten with rods, stoned, lashed and thrown into prison. He had come through hunger, thirst, exposure and sickness.

Now comes the question. Why is Paul doing this if there is no bodily resurrection when the only reason he is being persecuted is because he said that a certain dead Galilean got up and walked?

It is in this context that Paul asks, "What will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?" You may be correct linguistically if you say one is baptised in place of another dead person, but miss the point that the passage is written in a context of persecution and martyrdom. Again, there is no where this alludes to purgatory. That needs a reaffirmation i believe.

Here is the question that Paul asks. Why do believers who are under persecution continue to hold to their faith in a resurrection that results in their being persecuted if there is no resurrection? And why do new converts rise up to be baptized [b]to replace [/b]those who are being put to death if there is no resurrection of the dead? Why are new believers being baptized and filling up the ranks of the church in place of those who have died if there is no resurrection when it results in being in danger every hour and in daily danger of death ("I die daily"wink?

If Paul were to be thrown to the lions in the great stadium in Ephesus because of his stand for Christ, that would be of great benefit. But that is only true if there is a resurrection from the dead. If there is no resurrection of the dead, then it is silly for Paul to risk his life.

If there is no resurrection from the dead, then we have followed a lie. If this is the case, then we are not doing God’s will, but only the will of another group of men. If I am martyred only on the basis of some misguided men, what does it profit me?

The good news is that Christ HAS risen from the dead. And that is why people continue to believe in Him, filling up the ranks of those who have gone before us. And that is why YOU have been baptized in place of the dead.

Thus, the picture of being baptized in place of the dead is a picture of new converts coming to Christ and being baptized to replace those who have died in Christ.

I tell you, there is so much propensity to commit massive error when you take the bible in one verse and try to make it work in corroborating another verse which in actual sense the correlation coefficient may be zero or negative. smiley

1 John 5:16-17

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Now, I would not waste much time on this as it essentially declares that there are sins that leads to death and there are those that do not lead unto death. It is very explicit and I do not want us to delve into that as not to even sway us away from the main issue at hand.

Pastor AIO: What commandment of God is transgressed by the doctrine of Purgatory? Purgatory is not something that you practice in contradiction to God's commandment. Or is praying for the departed a transgression of God's law.

The simple law you are violating is that of adding to the word of God what is not there as Berni rightly quoted from the book of Revelations concerning the plight of those who add to the Word of God what is not there.

Colossians 2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The above is the danger you run with traditions of men not rooted in the sacred scriptures.

See again:

# 2 Peter 2:1
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

I thought real_berni's beef was that there is no scriptural foundation for purgatory.

Yes. And it is mine beef as well.

By the way, you haven't even addressed the source of the doctrine of Holy Trinity. It has been brought up again and again on this thread and I am ready to bet my last pant that you will not address it. How biblical is the Holy Trinity?

I cannot remember me discussing Trinity with you. May be with prior discussants. It is not mentioned anywhere in the scriptures and no Protestant Pastor worth his salt teaches the doctrine of the trinity. If you are saying that what Jesus said concerning his relationship with his Father that they are One, and coin that to mean the trinity, good luck. It is however, not a doctrine. Mind you, I cannot explain their relationship so do not ask me. The Bible calls it a mystery here

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Back to Chukwudi who has decided to start cherry-picking my questions,

I will bring them out again to the fore and also add more pertinent questions:

1. How long do you stay in purgatory? days, months, years?
2. How many masses do the priests have to say before the soul gets cleansed?
3. How much do the penitents pay for the masses to be conducted for the souls in purgatory?
4. Is purgatory a place where the will of the dead is functional and can therefore decide he does not want the cleansing? Or the will of that soul is quenched in purgatory and cannot therefore make a decision for itself? I again ask, where is the God of freewill in all of this?
5. Are there flames in Purgatory? If so, what are the similarities between the lake of fire (what people call Hell today) and the flames of purgatory?

We are getting into the heart of the matter as I will like to further show you how manipulations, twists, and interpretations for personal gains and outright misunderstanding and misapplication of the scriptures is what underlies the concept of Purgatory and many other false doctrines.

Lets discuss this further.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by JohnnieZM(m): 10:19am On Apr 03, 2012
cgift:

................................We are getting into the heart of the matter as I will like to further show you how manipulations, twists, and interpretations for personal gains and outright misunderstanding and misapplication of the scriptures is what underlies the concept of Purgatory and many other false doctrines.

Lets discuss this further.

Touche!!! You are the best man!
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by italo: 11:07am On Apr 03, 2012
With all respect, cgift, I think you too mature for this kind of questions you're asking.

"1. How long do you stay in purgatory? days, months, years?
3. How much do the penitents pay for the masses to be conducted for the souls in purgatory?
4. Is purgatory a place where the will of the dead is functional and can therefore decide he does not want the cleansing? Or the will of that soul is quenched in purgatory and cannot therefore make a decision for itself? I again ask, where is the God of freewill in all of this?
5. Are there flames in Purgatory? If so, what are the similarities between the lake of fire (what people call Hell today) and the flames of purgatory?"

They have no bearing on deducing the supposed existence or non existence of purgatory.

1. How long will judgement last? Seconds, minutes, hours, days?
2. Will we be seated, standing or prostrate during judgement?

Can you answer these questions? Do they make sense? Do they do anything to prove wether there'll be Judgement or not?

Let not go down that line pls...
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 11:42am On Apr 03, 2012
italo: With all respect, cgift, I think you too mature for this kind of questions you're asking.

"1. How long do you stay in purgatory? days, months, years?
5. Are there flames in Purgatory? If so, what are the similarities between the lake of fire (what people call Hell today) and the flames of purgatory?"

They have no bearing on deducing the supposed existence or non existence of purgatory.

Can you answer these questions? Do they make sense? Do they do anything to prove wether there'll be Judgement or not?

I thought they were dumb questions too, but then on closer inspection I realised his reason for asking those questions.

We are getting into the heart of the matter as I will like to further show you how manipulations, twists, and interpretations for personal gains and outright misunderstanding and misapplication of the scriptures is what underlies the concept of Purgatory and many other false doctrines.

I think that in law they say that if you can show a motive for the accused then that strengthens your case against the accused. For instance if someone is to gain by inheriting a dead man's property then that strengthens the case that says he is the murderer of the dead man.

Similarly, if you can show that Purgatory (or any doctrine of a continued evolution of the soul after death) will lead to exploitation manipulations, and outright thieving then Voila!, you have the entire raison d'etre of the doctrine.

The only problem with this is that if such reasoning is applied to the entirety of christianity, or the entirety of organised religion, but most especially christianity, then we have no choice but to conclude that the entire edifice is deviced precisely for the exploitation of humans and that there is no truth in it at all. The history of the ways christianity has been applied even up to the present day will serve as evidence against it.

It is a weak way to argue. It is like saying that if a rich man dies then all his heirs must be charged for murder.

But such thinking is not untypical of africans. In Oyo, back in the day, if the Alafin dies then his Aremo (crowned prince) must also die with him. This was done to prevent regicide. I couldn't help but think how idiotic this is when I first heard it.

What about the 2nd son? He could kill the father in the knowledge that his elder brother will go to the grave with him and he would become Alafin. Anyway . . .
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 03, 2012
[/quote]113. cgift(m): Quote Post

chukwudi44:

You are just assuming that passage only to those who lived during the time of noah but [b]1 pet 4:4-6 tells us the reason why the good news was preached to the dead [/b]in 3:19 no where did it suggest it only applied to those who lived while noah was building the ark.

Chuks my guy,

Thanks for your response. I am pleased you are sustaining the momentum but we must put thins in proper perspective and not take things out of context. I am sure Berni took time out to explain 1 Peter 4 : 4-6 in earlier discourse. If I remember, she took time to explain how the verses in 4- 6 cannot be taken out of the context and tied to what was being discussed in Chapter 3 about the issue of the prison. Why take us back again?

Briefly, running through

1 Peter 4:

3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

n bible studies, you get a better clue as per what is being discussed when you look at the preceding verses before the verse of interest. The Bible describes us as DEAD in our sins (see Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses

The dead being referred to therefore implies those who who dead to the Life and Love of God and are walking in sin desribed in many words as "lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries" in 1 Pet. 4 above.

[quote]
That verse was explicit enough.No where does dead in that verse imply metaphorical usage.It did not says those "dead in sin" I refuse to accept this explaination.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 03, 2012

chukwudi44:

You are just assuming that passage only to those who lived during the time of noah but [b]1 pet 4:4-6 tells us the reason why the good news was preached to the dead [/b]in 3:19 no where did it suggest it only applied to those who lived while noah was building the ark.

Chuks my guy,

Briefly, running through

1 Peter 4:

In bible studies, you get a better clue as per what is being discussed when you look at the preceding verses before the verse of interest. The Bible describes us as DEAD in our sins (see Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses

You are right in saying that the fact people do not believe in it does not stop it from existing? Very correct and that is why we are having this discourse but a great deal of burden relies on you to convince your audience and even perhaps yourself in so doing on the truthfulness of some doctrines which we hold dearly unto but with very shaky foundations.

Would something that serious and important in the overall salvation of a man and transition from this earthly realm to the kingdom of God be left to such ambiguities and whimsical interpretations of men relying on mere allusions as against real substance from the Word of God? I do not think so.
[quote]

Even the doctrine of trinity which is more fundamental to the christian faith was not explicitly defined by the bible but also implied in few bible passages.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 03, 2012
[/quote]Here is the question that Paul asks. Why do believers who are under persecution continue to hold to their faith in a resurrection that results in their being persecuted if there is no resurrection? And why do new converts rise up to be baptized to replace those who are being put to death if there is no resurrection of the dead? Why are new believers being baptized and filling up the ranks of the church in place of those who have died if there is no resurrection when it results in being in danger every hour and in daily danger of death ("I die daily
[quote]

This is a mischievous misinterpretation of that bible passage.No where does it say people were baptised to replace those who had died.

What that verse says is people were baptised ON BEHALF of those who have died.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 03, 2012

chukwudi44:

Chuks my guy,

Briefly, running through

1 Peter 4:

In bible studies, you get a better clue as per what is being discussed when you look at the preceding verses before the verse of interest. The Bible describes us as DEAD in our sins (see Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses

Now, I would not waste much time on this as it essentially declares that there are sins that leads to death and there are those that do not lead unto death. It is very explicit and I do not want us to delve into that as not to even sway us away from the main issue at hand.
[quote]

I need you to answer this question;

What becomes the fate of those whoose sins do not lead to death.Would there still make it to heaven even in that state of sin
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Apr 03, 2012
[/quote]. How long do you stay in purgatory? days, months, years?
5. Are there flames in Purgatory? If so, what are the similarities between the lake of fire (what people call Hell today) and the flames of purgatory?

We are getting into the heart of the matt[quote]

I would answer your questions if you could equally answer mine

1.What is the temperature of hell fire?

2.What kind of food do we eat in heaven?

3 how long will judgement last?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by DeepSight(m): 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2012
^ ^ ^ Can we address the question of choice and freewill cgift raised concerning purgatory.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 3:20pm On Apr 03, 2012
Deep Sight: ^ ^ ^ Can we address the question of choice and freewill cgift raised concerning purgatory.

This same question can equally be applied to heaven.If I were to reverse it "Would people in heaven have the freewill to choose to end up in hell?"

Does this question make any sense to you?

It is like asking if President Jonathan will have the free will to resign his presidency and live in kirikiri prisons
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by DeepSight(m): 3:37pm On Apr 03, 2012
^ ^ ^ I dont know what cgift meant by the question, but what tickles my mind is the freewill issue. Is freewill retained in purgatory - any kind of freewill whatsoever? Is freewill retained in "heaven"?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by cgift(m): 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2012
Pastor AIO:

I thought they were dumb questions too, but then on closer inspection I realised his reason for asking those questions.

I think that in law they say that if you can show a motive for the accused then that strengthens your case against the accused. For instance if someone is to gain by inheriting a dead man's property then that strengthens the case that says he is the murderer of the dead man.

Similarly, if you can show that Purgatory (or any doctrine of a continued evolution of the soul after death) will lead to exploitation manipulations, and outright thieving then Voila!, you have the entire raison d'etre of the doctrine.

The only problem with this is that if such reasoning is applied to the entirety of christianity, or the entirety of organised religion, but most especially christianity, then we have no choice but to conclude that the entire edifice is deviced precisely for the exploitation of humans and that there is no truth in it at all. The history of the ways christianity has been applied even up to the present day will serve as evidence against it.

It is a weak way to argue. It is like saying that if a rich man dies then all his heirs must be charged for murder.

But such thinking is not untypical of africans. In Oyo, back in the day, if the Alafin dies then his Aremo (crowned prince) must also die with him. This was done to prevent regicide. I couldn't help but think how idiotic this is when I first heard it.

What about the 2nd son? He could kill the father in the knowledge that his elder brother will go to the grave with him and he would become Alafin. Anyway . . .

AIO, you! In an instance you play a middle man's role and in another you spew anger wink Let me leave you for now.

italo: With all respect, cgift, I think you too mature for this kind of questions you're asking.

Did I strike a nerve?

You might wonder, why I ask such questions, some seemingly funny. When a doctrine is not based on sound biblical doctrines, be rest assured that its proponents will hold onto straws to defend it. More importantly, because it is not based on biblical evidence order than mere allusions and conjectures and reading your own meanings into it to suite a pre-determined end, the modus-operandi of it will be fraught with so much errors, fallacies, heresies and inconsistencies that will also never make any sense or justify good reasoning when the search light of God's Words is beamed on it.

Back to chuks,

Seems you are not ready to discuss as you are replacing my questions with another questions and making it cyclical. I do not think that is how I have handled your questions. I do not replace your questions with my own questions making my response contingent on your first responding to mine. I think it will not be fair using that style for me. Every question has an answer and if you decide to use boldface to put down my questions, then intelligent readers will see what you are doing for what it is: "evading questions". And you have demonstrated that overtime in the short time I joined in on this discussion. For emphasis, all questions deserve answers even if it is a simplistic Yes or No or DON'T KNOW. Ok?

My questions one after the other again:

1. How long do you stay in purgatory? days, months, years?

If you do not know, you could have simply said, you are not sure. But I believe that deep down within you, you know according to those catholic traditions handed down through the papal years that there are a number of activities that determines the length of stay in purgatory. For the sake of transparency and honesty, I would want you to still attempt the question. It is a compulsory question and not optional grin

Is this not a very simple question? 12? 120? 1200? or 12000?

3. How much do the penitents pay for the masses to be conducted for the souls in purgatory? What are Mass Cards and how do they affect length of stay in Purgatory ?

May be better put, what impact in terms of length of stay and others does the purchase of Mass Cards, or the payments by penitents to the priests through the Bishops have on the souls in purgatory?

You tried to feebly kill this question by asking if Jonathan can have the will to resign the presidency. But if I may comment on that; the answer is yes. He does have the will and can exercise the will. But if I could correctly imply that your answer means NO (i.e., that there is no will once in purgatory) It then makes me further enquire:

If I do not want to go to heaven, why must I be forced against my wish to be "purged" by the flames of purgatory?

Brother, I dare use another question to replace the original 5th question:

5. When was the doctrine of purgatory made a dogma in the RCC?

You know what, while you answer these questions, let me come back to your own question:

What becomes the fate of those whose sins do not lead to death. Would there still make it to heaven even in that state of sin

Now, it becomes very lucid that your concept of sin is wrong. I think this is unfortunately one (1) of the few reasons why the catholic church fathers have brought in the middle place so called to justify a so-called cleansing of "seeming imperfections" they think would plague and deny Christians entry into heaven despite the finished work of Christ on the cross and their acceptance in His work on the cross.

The crux of the matter is the concept of sin held by the RCC and I think, we need to open another thread on this and discuss the concept of Sin.

But for the meantime, do answer my questions.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 7:14pm On Apr 03, 2012
Deep Sight: ^ ^ ^ Can we address the question of choice and freewill cgift raised concerning purgatory.

This Guy!!! You dis guy!! So you dey here too? How long have you been lurking in the shadows? The funny thing is that I've been thinking of your through much of this thread, and I wondered to myself why you hadn't gotten involved yet.
Se you see all the gymnastics wey dey go on? That cgift guy will give even you a run for your money.

Can you recall what I said in the 'This Matter of Interpretations' thread?'

First there is the Axiom, or particular belief of the interpreter. This is often supported by a literal reading of some portion of the bible.

Once this has been accepted then everything else that is in the bible is interpreted to fit in wth the Axiom. Even things that are literal contradictions will be forcibly interpreted in such a way to make it fit the axiom. There is no limit to human ingenuity when it comes to doing this.
https://www.nairaland.com/839087/this-matter-interpretations

It is all being played out so beautifully here. When I said that there was no limit to human ingenuity when it comes to this matter, even I did not imagine invention to the extent that cgift has taken things.
'People being baptized in order to replace people who had died.'

'Human beings not being spirits'

'Jesus preaching to the fallen angels after his death'

'Oh sorry, not preaching, but proclaiming' etc etc etc.

I'm relishing all of this.

I hope this thread is popular and people are reading this vis a vis my thread on interpreting scriptures.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 7:21pm On Apr 03, 2012
cgift:

AIO, you! In an instance you play a middle man's role and in another you spew anger wink Let me leave you for now.

Did I strike a nerve?

Abeg where did I spew anger? Or did your 'holy' spirit help you to interpret my words as anger, the same way that he has been helping you to interpret the bible to understand that people are baptised in order to replace those that are dead? As the ghetto youth would say over here, 'you're giving me bare laughs bruv, bare laughs'.

Did you strike a nerve?

Yes indeed, the nerve that is directly connected to my laughter muscles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Death Is Not The Opposite Of Life, It Simply Is The Absence Of It. / Negroes, Negroland And The True Biblical Israelites. / Funny Religious Comics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 209
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.