Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? (47609 Views)

HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / Job Prospects For A Bsc Microbiologist In Nigeria / Hope For Hnd Holders, Hnd / Bsc Conversion Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by chyndu(f): 2:47pm On Jun 14, 2012
Please advice me on what to do, I ve being an independant person, since I finished my secondary school, I started working at the age of 20. working without any cert, as my MD will always abuse me over any little mistake, I struggled on my own errolled as a part time student Lagos State Poly, because I has no Cert I swallowed all the insult and shit between my boss and colleagues. Later I got married, then I needed to further my education, I now joined OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY PART TIME PROGRAMME in 2007 out of curousity, Now ve graduated but even more agrier because the Cert is HIGHER DIPLOMA not Higher National Diploma, even to show people my Cert I cant. What a waste of time and money. At a time I decide to quit any everything and start business no money. So please please I need your advices. As am typing presently my husband is out of job, I dont know what to do. Thanks
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Tattooboy: 2:56pm On Jun 14, 2012
chy-ndu:
Please advice me on what to do, I ve being an independant person, since I finished my secondary school, I started working at the age of 20. working without any cert, as my MD will always abuse me over any little mistake, I struggled on my own errolled as a part time student Lagos State Poly, because I has no Cert I swallowed all the insult and shit between my boss and colleagues. Later I got married, then I needed to further my education, I now joined OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY PART TIME PROGRAMME in 2007 out of curousity, Now ve graduated but even more agrier because the Cert is HIGHER DIPLOMA not Higher National Diploma, even to show people my Cert I cant. What a waste of time and money. At a time I decide to quit any everything and start business no money. So please please I need your advices. As am typing presently my husband is out of job, I dont know what to do. Thanks
which job was ur husband doin? How many years did u tink u wasted? Ur xplanation here is not really clear to me. Anyways which u success.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by uceee(m): 2:56pm On Jun 14, 2012
drzed:

No, I dont think this is a derailment. In fact, it is an interesting angle.

As per your question actual question, yes, it is possible to do an MSc (and later, PhD) with HND, but in Nigeria, it is not easy or possible without certification and post graduate courses. Needless to say, the route is VERY long, frustrating and complicated in Naija. And there is no guarantee that if you meet their criteria, you will be accepted. We all know how things work in Nigeria.

You are better off trying long-distance accredited schools abroad. I am not talking of those University of Phoenix kind of wowo-online degrees. I am speaking of for example, UNISA in South Africa (www.unisa.ac.za/). This school is actually one of the oldest long-distance schools in the world. There are also regular universities in Malaysia, Holland, and UK that have long-distance,web-based or part-time Masters degree courses.

Now, whether these schools will accept your HND is something I cannot judge or advice upon. What I do know is that unlike in Nigeria, where muppets are in charge of admissions, in many foreign countries, when you apply, you would make a personal statement, where you justify your suitability based on your past qualifications (i.e. HND); work experience and professional certifications. They take such personal statements and professional development VERY seriously.

And if age is NOT on your side (i.e. you are in your mid-late 30s and above), they will most likely be favourably disposed to classify you as a mature student. Which is good. This will allow them to ease their criteria for admission in your case. But they will likely ask you to take a handful (e.g. 2 to 3) final year undergraduate courses, as pre-requisites, just to brush you up; e.g. research methods - as part of your first year MSc programme.

This sort of arrangement (for mature students) is also considered for full-time housewives, disabled people, etc. In many foreign schools, they understand that people's circumstances cannot all be the same, but EVERYONE is entitled to pursue further education. They respect zeal and desire.

In other words, there are many routes to an MSc/PhD. Dont restrict yourself to the shambolic and stone-age process of MSc admission obtained in Nigeria. Information is POWER. Search South Africa and Malaysia specifically. Also consider Australia and the UK (if you can afford it, cos these oyibos sabi charge person money).

Furthermore, dont make the mistake of just applying to these foreign schools once you see a programme that you like. No. To avoid disappointment, time-wasting and to optimise your efforts, you should first of all, write to the admissions officer or HOD of the programme you are interested in. State your case and ask for advice. Building a relationship matters. Let me tell you why. When it is time to offer admissions, the admissions committee would sit and evaluate applicants and it is likely that an admissions officer or HOD will stand-up for you IF they are familiar with your case. Otherwise, you will just be another candidate, and dem no too send you. This is why those who apply for PhD are better advised to write to a Professor (potential supervisor) firstly, so that he will agree to work with them and support their admission and scholarship/funding, if applicable.

I am speaking from experience by the way, as in, I have participated in the admission process abroad.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks very much. Your very elaborate reply has been most helpful.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by chyndu(f): 3:28pm On Jun 14, 2012
which job was ur husband doin? How many years did u tink u wasted? Ur xplanation here is not really clear to me. Anyways which u success.

He was an Hotelier, and for now we are managing just with my own income. I think I wasted that number of years doing HD,
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by olatomiwa(f): 3:50pm On Jun 14, 2012
The solution seem to me to be very simple, all those course that are taught better in the Polytechnic sgould be taught ONLY in the Polytechnic and those course that are taught better in the university should be taught only in the university. So, as an employer, when I want to employ an accountant or graphic artist, I will know that I'm getting someone with HND, and that is because, it is only HND graduates that I will find, and they will be the best because of the nature of the training the got! No competitions, except with the class of certification or how well the school does.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by NwaTeacher1: 3:53pm On Jun 14, 2012
Bsc. cert and HND cert never be the same anywhere in the world. Researchers and technologist are two diff. things. How many professors taught u during ur HND program? Be proud with the one ur having and move on with it. U can enroll in Pgd program. Gudluck
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by ajalekoko1777: 4:12pm On Jun 14, 2012
I am not surprised of dis jargon,u can imagine,very many of them who call themselves B.SC cannot stand HND on interview,all dey will be saying is nonsense.if u've HND,God with u,u'll breakthrough one day
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by lovethk: 4:12pm On Jun 14, 2012
I'm currently running my ND program in lagos and I want to switch to BSC but am just considering the cost of running the two programs at the same time since am working and wouldn't want 2 leave lagos 4 my BSC. Pls advice me on how to go about it as the HND discrimination is still on the high side.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by zeo(m): 4:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
For me i have decided to stand my ground to prove a point.I hv a PgD and Msc and i just enrolled for PhD.One day i will become a Prof and if the disparity is still there,then it will be time to fight.I think it will help if all polytechnics are converted to universities.

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by maskara01: 4:33pm On Jun 14, 2012
I have never been so patient in reading all posts on naira land before until I got this one. Maybe because I a in one way or the other affected, but then it’s a little of a psychological thing coz like my friend will say “na God sure pass”. He can’t have made mistake in allowing you attend where ever u attended to get your education. Also I agree with the set of guys who wrote that development is key. Let’s face it, I don’t blame any employer who discriminates because even the government they work in their countries are not helping matters because as long as they’ve paid their TAX that’s the end.
Due to that fact the HND guys have suffered the supposedly so-called discrimination. Nigeria is an import dependent country that cannot even boast of manufacturing TOOTHPICK! When you don’t have structures that enable production and manufacturing in place, what do you have? Simple! The current MADNESS called discrimination. The arrangement was that we should have 1 Engineers to 6 Technologists….ask yourselves what we have today? Under normal circumstances the Engineers are meant to come up with ideas, the Technologists device a way to solve it, the Technicians are meant to supervise the craftsmen in executing these tasks. What do we have in Nigeria today?
The society has so conditioned our brains that if you don’t have a Bsc you are doomed! Is it a crime to opt for a technological education? In my opinion no but the country makes you do so at your own peril. Even some of us here recommended that the HND guys upgrade to Bsc….not a bad advice but let me ask do they upgrade for free. What if there’s little or no means financially to do so? Even if the HND holder decides to upgrade are they trying to justify that after % years in a polytechnic your HND is equivalent to 200L in the university? Is that not MADNESS! In the UK where courses are taught for 3 years and HND holder goes into the 2nd year. University of Sunderland accepts HND for a 1 year top up to BS degree. But then all these are cost intensive you know. So cant someone decides to opt for an HND and then a PGD and then an Msc up to whatever he wants as the money comes? When people begin to get Bsc at ripe age of 37 to 40 etc I see that as with all due respect a complete waste of time. Agreed no time is too late but if you get a BS degree at 40 then i think we have to question your ability to stand alone! Because it shows that you are dependent on the KPALI which is one of the problems Nigeria is facing today. If you have carefully read my post, it’s not making any case for HND holder nor is it condemning a BS holder but that the country should be placed right.
The truth of the matter is that everyone can’t be Bsc holder. The key is that everyone should know that irrespective of qualification you all have a role to play in the economy. I finished from Yabatech and about to commence a PGD after a 3 year working experience and I will say I have not experienced discrimination even though it’s there in our society but that I try to set my aims straight believing it’s not my life but God’s life. The truth is HND is not and cannot be equal to a Bsc (except in some technical cases) but due to greed some HND holders shy away from this fact. Let’s assume that the whole of Nigeria are stocked up with Bs holders who will work for who? Even our Bs degrees are now crap because if not how can a company classify a Nigerian with a Local Bs degree and a foreign Msc as an Expatriate in his own country and the next thing is placed higher than a Nigerian Msc? That’s to show you how they’ve bastardised our education and economy yet you want me to hustle to get a Bsc in Nigeria? I rather go rob a bank to acquire a UK masters
Look at the so called universities what do we need course like political science, anthropology, sociology etc for? How does it develop the country? What value is it to Nigeria? Does everyone in the US, UK, India even China have a Bsc? Nigeria today is an Oil producing country yet we don’t offer courses like Msc naval Architecture? Msc Oil and Gas structures etc. even our so called PTDF send graduates overseas to go study! That even the height of discrimination because why not sponsor an HND holder to cotonu for a PGDE? The only thing I believe in is that irrespective of your qualification, be good at what you do and at some point improve on yourself. Remember 4 things get you a job.
• Your result
• Information
• Ability to sell yourself
• GOD.
With these 4 things you’ll surely get there.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by maskara01: 4:33pm On Jun 14, 2012
smiley
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by drzed: 4:53pm On Jun 14, 2012
zeo: For me i have decided to stand my ground to prove a point.I hv a PgD and Msc and i just enrolled for PhD.One day i will become a Prof and if the disparity is still there,then it will be time to fight.I think it will help if all polytechnics are converted to universities.

Bros, dont worry. Once you have already obtained your MSc (and later PhD), there is nothing to worry about because there cannot be disparity at PhD level. Although at Masters level, I have seen some instances where some 'foolish' employers still try to pinpoint a candidate's HND, even though he had a Masters degree which supersedes BSc. Nigeria is a funny place. Its like paying attention to Primary School Cert, when someone has GCE or WAEC certificate.

I agree however, that polytechnics should be converted to universities. The reason polys were established has long been discredited due to the lack of support, unnecessary hurdles or the discrimination that ND and HND graduates face. Besides, polytechnics are becoming outdated, actually. In the UK, polys have been extinct (converted to universities) since almost two decades ago (around 1992 onwards).

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_(United_Kingdom).

What stops our government from doing the same is anyone's guess. But lack of vision, incompetence, selfishness, greed and sheer st00pidity are potential reasons.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 5:55pm On Jun 14, 2012
Hmmo
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 6:15pm On Jun 14, 2012
Hmm
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
megxo: well, i obtained D.E dis yr n am hoping 2 make dat switch into a UNI, cos am done been discriminated..... n i dont see dis discrimination stoppin in d long run.... i hav a National Diploma cert in Civil Engr.(3.65)

Why not try Ife? I know they often times give precedence to Distinction candidates in Engineering during DE admission. Besides, few schools offer Civil Engineering which makes your profile a very good one for admission. However, I would suggest you also make more inquiry because I am talking based on my knowledge and experience of almost a decade.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by manoy(m): 6:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
It depends on what you want,how you want it?.....You can get ur degree in less than 2 years if you are ready to pay over 3million naira. Most UK schools offer top up degrees ...
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:18pm On Jun 14, 2012
bidoski: Is having that BSC or university degree a guarantee to getting that employment you dream of or success in Life?Lets change our mentality please.

The BSc gives you much more chances than the HND would.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2012
stupor:
GUY ! Listen attentively,respect to BSC holders,but in the actual light,an HND holder from whatsoever polytechnic especially from the South_West and South-eastern part of the country will any University graduate anytime any day both on the job and off the job in terms of good behavioural and ad-hoc performances,.
This is the reasons why University graduates don't get to do well in first class rated professional examination bodies within and outside the country,these facts which can easily be proven at ACCA,ICAN,IT,ENGINEERING. Etc.
It only makes me wonder what things are being taught in some of our present day Nigerian universities,when passing just a foundation course of an examination body is a messy herculean task to them.
Bros,with your HND,you are very much employable and well grounded than your counterparts if you know what you want for yourself.
It's easier for you to have your MBA and MSC directly in first class ivory rated Universities abroad without you wasting your precious time in cheap Nigeria BSC titles have several colleagues who already did this,so no need for critics to start crying foul.
With a PHD ,you cannot be allowed to allowed to sit for the PE 1 talkless of foundation,while with your HND accounting you are three steps above that your cheap titled PHD prof in ICAN exams.
Very good blue chip companies these days have been able to know these facts except the ones who still think otherwise,have make open these doors for level playing grounds and results of which can be seen in their bottom lines.
Check a typical case study of GTB who absolves HND and place them below BCS in the past,and an international. Older and more experienced bank,STANBIC which saw the ixexplicable. And greats of these category set of people came in,took them off their human resources standings and placed them where they actually belong,the rest today history as these set have become major pioneers and change management Team of STANBIC.
The problem basically is not a problem just that there are more issues the government have juxtaposed in our education including the. Corrupt ministers so if you must make a name for yourself,you must bend and break the rules positively.
Shun that move and make smarter moves,with your HND,you the best fit for a job.
Leave your friends and work with the right click and stop getting your advise from the wrong places,I guess,that's what yo have been doing,stop getting brainwashed and elevate yourself,prove yourself in other spheres of life and inspire us and stop back warding your achievements,you are bigger than a BSC already bro.
Move ahead with your Superb HND.much kudos to the BSC,also but with your HND,in this 21st century Nigerian educational setting,you go flog any Nigerian MSC candidate,not even BSC.

Your post got me laughing because I sense some resentment in your post towards the university graduate. One thing I know is that the school doesn't make one therefore, the degree one holds doesn't make one better than the next person.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by daygee4u(m): 7:04pm On Jun 14, 2012
What a world we live in let me tell you wether HND or Bsc the issue still remains that the jobs for fresh n inexperienced graduate is few as HND holders r lamenting so the Bsc holders r lamentiing. We all need to know that even ND have a beta prospect than HND as many organisations are trying to cut cost however year qualification is nt a barrier. Jt keep yourself imformed.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Actionleap: 7:13pm On Jun 14, 2012
Hello all, it is a pity that all Nigerians undergraduates thinks only of get employment. After NYSC, my friend went to enrol for a Masters. He wanted me to follow but I refused bluntly that I must reap from my HND labour. Today, I am a multi-millionaire and he works in MTN as a customer care. I run my own business (I started with 50k in 2004). How many people know tha Pastor Sam Adeyemi is an HND graduate and he has motivated many to reach their goal in life. Quit looking for jobs! Locate your passion, get skills on it and the world will bow at your feet. But you must surrender your life to Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 7:50pm On Jun 14, 2012
[quote author=Nwa Teacher]Bsc. cert and HND cert never be the same anywhere in the world. Researchers and technologist are two diff. things. How many professors taught u during ur HND program? Be proud with the one ur having and move on with it. U can enroll in Pgd program. Gudluck [/quote

Mind you Oga,with your HND Accountancy you are three steps above a PHD holder when it comes to ICAN ACA prerequisite for exemption.

That is how solid an HND holder can be.

It is a supreme clear cut disparity that all professional bodies autocratically assumes.

If you feel intimidated check the course outline of an OND holder and you'll find him or her in first semester of an well accredited MSC programme.

HND as a solid clear cut superiority over BSC and can realate well and above an MSC holder.
If our educational stakeholders and government do not put things aright,none of our degrees can continue to get quality recognition from international conterparts,

Like in the UK and the US,polytechnics have long ago been converted into Universities,this is what is called. Projective educational reforms.

Instead of our stakeholders to see through what is obtainable globally,they are busy galivanting on irreconcilable issues.

While top rated universities are taking advantage of these HND quality graduates,offering them direct MSC programmes thereby making them contribute fully well to their own country's economical GDP,foolish Nigerian governments and purposeless employers are recruiting raw BSC holders with no quality as compared to that a finished HND holder.

Like the UK,Nigeria must convert polytechnics to University to quickly close these global gaps that international counterparts are taking advanytage of.

]

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
[quote author=Nwa Teacher]Bsc. cert and HND cert never be the same anywhere in the world. Researchers and technologist are two diff. things. How many professors taught u during ur HND program? Be proud with the one ur having and move on with it. U can enroll in Pgd program. Gudluck [/quote

Mind you Oga,with your HND Accountancy you are three steps above a PHD holder when it comes to ICAN ACA prerequisite for exemption.

It is a supreme clear cut disparity that all professional bodies autocratically assumes.

If you feel intimidated check the course outline of an OND holder and you'll find him or her in first semester of an well accredited MSC programme.

HND as a solid clear cut superiority over BSC and can realate well and above an MSC holder.
If our educational stakeholders and government do not put things aright,none of our degrees can continue to get quality recognition from international conterparts,

Like in the UK and the US,polytechnics have long ago been converted into Universities,this is what is called. Projective educational reforms.

Instead of our stakeholders to see through what is obtainable globally,they are busy galivanting on irreconcilable issues.

While top rated universities are taking advantage of these HND quality graduates,offering them direct MSC programmes thereby making them contribute fully well to their own country's economical GDP,foolish Nigerian governments and purposeless employers are recruiting raw BSC holders with no quality as compared to that a finished HND holder.

Like the UK,Nigeria must convert polytechnics to University to quickly close these global gaps that international counterparts are taking advanytage of.

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:05pm On Jun 14, 2012

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:06pm On Jun 14, 2012

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:07pm On Jun 14, 2012

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:17pm On Jun 14, 2012

Like the UK,Nigeria must convert polytechnics to University to quickly close these global gaps that international counterparts are taking advantage of.

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:27pm On Jun 14, 2012

Like the UK,Nigeria must convert polytechnics to University to quickly close these global gaps that international counterparts are taking advantage of.

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:27pm On Jun 14, 2012

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2012

]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Yinkusbaby1: 9:13pm On Jun 14, 2012
The unbiased truth is dat Hnd holders are better taught,skilled&groomed than our Bsc counterparts,our leaders av however devaluated&mesmerized ds certificate;often obtained with much sweat,i guess its simply because their kids/siblings don't go ds way.
Fellow colleagues in struggle it is better late than never,enrol4a Bsc part time program,if u nid info on where2obtain it conveniently&hitch-free,send ur request2 ofunmi20@yahoo.com,i'l reply u . Dont giv up,the discrimination is high
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 9:54pm On Jun 14, 2012
[quote author=stupor][/quote]

Your sense of argument truly baffles me. Whilst I have no problems with you trying to defend your degree, it doesn't give you the opportunity to misinform people and write nonsense on such forum as this.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 9:57pm On Jun 14, 2012
Yinkus baby: The unbiased truth is dat Hnd holders are better taught,skilled&groomed than our Bsc counterparts,our leaders av however devaluated&mesmerized ds certificate;often obtained with much sweat,i guess its simply because their kids/siblings don't go ds way.
Fellow colleagues in struggle it is better late than never,enrol4a Bsc part time program,if u nid info on where2obtain it conveniently&hitch-free,send ur request2 ofunmi20@yahoo.com,i'l reply u . Dont giv up,the discrimination is high

How did you reach your conclusion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

13 Pictures That Are Too Real For New Salary Earners!!! / The Real Airport Cleaner Who Returned N12M Gets Salary Increase / Nigerian Breweries Salary Structure: Salary Of Nigeria Breweries PLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.