Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,876 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? (9892 Views)

Please Help, My 4 Years Relationship Seems To Be Crashing Down / He Has Been After Her For 4 Years.......She's More Educated, Older And Richer / Is Dating Someone For Ten Years Too Long? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by nateevs(m): 11:11am On Nov 18, 2007
emelumgini:

Re we talking about dating or courtship.
courtship shouldn't last for more than 6 months

You sound like you've written a book on it. Sounded more like "What goes up must come down" Tell us why you think so.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by Appearance(m): 2:00am On Nov 20, 2007
This is a dicey situation and requires great care.

I want to believe that there is a difference between dating and courtship; dating has to do with just being friends while courtship brings the marriage angle to view.

When a relationship transcends to courtship, it shouldn't stretch too long!

My angel and I intentionally kept our relationship at the dating level for eight years because we needed to go through school and become financially guaranteed before venturing into marriage.

I particularly made her understand that she's free to marry if she encounters someone who can love her more than I do, but because I love her passionately, I made sure I show her love the way no man could without appearing to tie her down, money or no money.

Four months back I formally proposed to her. We are getting married soon.

One factor that helped was our mutual decision to put a stop to sex till we get married.

Interestingly, eight years plus is just like eight days. We are so crazily in love, we seem no to see enough of ourselves and there is no unwanted pressure from in-laws. Everyone is better off.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by Appearance(m): 2:02am On Nov 20, 2007
This is a dicey situation and requires great care.

I want to believe that there is a difference between dating and courtship; dating has to do with just being friends while courtship brings the marriage angle to view.

When a relationship transcends to courtship, it shouldn't stretch too long!

My angel and I intentionally kept our relationship at the dating level for eight years because we needed to go through school and become financially guaranteed before venturing into marriage.

I particularly made her understand that she's free to marry if she encounters someone who can love her more than I do, but because I love her passionately, I made sure I show her love the way no man could without appearing to tie her down, money or no money.

Four months back I formally proposed to her. We are getting married soon.

One factor that helped was our mutual decision to put a stop to sex till we get married.

Interestingly, eight years plus is just like eight days. We are so crazily in love, we seem no to see enough of ourselves and there is no unwanted pressure from in-laws. Everyone is better off.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by justbazick: 8:21am On Nov 21, 2007
4 years is not too long if its for both dating and courtship period.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by bolakale1(f): 3:54pm On Nov 27, 2007
hi guys,i wont lie to you dating experince differs, 4years could be too long for some and maybe too short for some,
long dating has its advantage and has its disadvantages too,but to me i feel the disadvantages surpasses the advantages,
i dated my former boyfriend for 4 1/2 years and today we are no more,we actually broke up this year,and i have a sister who dated her boyfriend for over 7years and the relationship broke up after 7years,and so many of them like that meanwhile i have a family friend who dated theirselves for close to 10years,from their secondary school days and through out their university days and are married now,it works for some and does not work for others,i have a friend who met the husband just this year and they are married now and she is proving to be having the best man in the world,i dont believe there is enough time or years to understudy a person,people can change at anytime even a marriage of 50years when you ask the two parties involved,they will have stories to tell about their man or woman on the changes in theirselves after some years,i am not trying to be spiritual but i think its just God that handles relationship not human beings,its not our doing i strongly discourage long term relationship now, because it causes so many damages in the life of the female partners,you can hardly find a relationship that does not involve sex after the 1st month of meeting and at a point it leads into unsafe sex and then most times ladies take in and they have to go for d and cs over and over just because the guy is not ready for marriage,still claiming to be studying the lady,well its all bull-shit,sorry for the long story,but its realy sad that at the end of 4years a woman looses out in a relationship and by then she has is 4years older and people who had interest in her during that period and who would have married her have come and gone abeg make i know talk again it only pays for men not for women,our own nyt dey quick come pass man own
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by ayobaba: 9:56am On Jul 09, 2008
Even if u court for all the years on earth and get married in heaven you will still not know yourselves best, I think the courtship that will lead to marriage shouldn't last more than 4-6month and max 1 year.
I dated my wife for 4 month and b4 our marriage and to God be Glory am not regretting it. shes the best wife in this whole wide word I will forever love u my Babbie.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by ayobaba: 11:15am On Jul 15, 2008
ayobaba:

Even if u court for all  the years on earth and get married in heaven you will still not know yourselves best, I think the courtship that will lead to marriage shouldn't last more than 4-6month and max 1 year.
I dated my wife for 4 month and before our marriage and to God be Glory am not regretting it. shes the best wife in this whole wide word I will forever love u my Babbie.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by Greycells(m): 10:45am On May 21, 2010
There are no fast and hard rules about how long a courtship should be.

Longer does mean good home, neither does shorter mean bad home.

Just about the individuals.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by nairaner(m): 1:43pm On May 21, 2010
CHAIRMAN OOOOOO! Four years is way too long. Listen, any couple who knows what they want in a relationship or from  a partner will be able to spend from 6 months to 2 years MAX (putting into consideration the frequency of how often they spend time together.) EVEN if you spend alot of time together (like you see each other every other day like 4 of 7 days a week) then for the for the benefit of doubt you may want to go on for 18months.

If you are talking about long distance relationship then 4 years courting makes a whole lot of sense, but most times leads both to NOWHERE  grin.

Naira don talk
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by Ngemebiri(m): 3:14pm On May 21, 2010
4 years, u won kill am, if at the end u come say u are not interested wetin the next man won enjoy, with fruitful womb 4 yrs is enough to produce 3 beautiful kids, all the same if the girl is 18 u can wait for the 4 yrs and if u don't have regular cash yet, but from 24 yrs God forbid, 4 me 1 yr is enough for a man to decide.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by no1madman(m): 3:39pm On May 21, 2010
4 yrs get as e be!If 2 correct people meet,things will flow naturally.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by parislomo(f): 2:21pm On May 22, 2010

If 2 correct people meet,things will flow naturally.

I'm learning to believe this more, by the second!

1 Like

Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by kieryn(f): 3:04pm On May 22, 2010
IT doesn't matter how many years. Marriage is forever. Get to know that person well and stop worrying about how long before I marry. How can you make decision to lifetime commitment in less than a year. Trust me if a guy really love they will do anything to keep you. Then again if you believe in divorce then forget it you can rush. For me two years before I start considering marriage.
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by willybalo: 3:40pm On May 23, 2010
its ok
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by yusuf2(m): 9:14pm On May 23, 2010
G-reycells:

There are no fast and hard rules about how long a courtship should be.

Longer does mean good home, neither does shorter mean bad home.

Just about the individuals.

na wa oh, how deep did u dig to fish out this old tread? i hail thee grin grin grin
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by willybalo: 7:35pm On May 26, 2010
it depend on the foundation of your relationship, a relationship build on trust can last longer,
Re: Is 4 Years Too Long For Courtship? by diva90: 7:19am On Jan 23, 2012
nope, people have courted for 7 yrs, 9 yrs and some even more than 10 yrs. 4 yrs is not bad at all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? / What's The Full Meaning Of OG? / Why The War Against Each Other?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.