Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month (8593 Views)

Onitsha Port: Anambra Shippers Task FG / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by bestview: 6:56pm On May 09, 2012
This is picture of recent expansion of the Port. Besides Anambra is blessed with the longest coastal line along the River Niger, so the issue of further expansion beyond the one on the picture is quite enormous. The Onitsha Port is going to be the most busy Port in Nigeria after Lagos Port.

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by EkoIle1: 7:23pm On May 09, 2012
So den expand put one shed for gateman? Nice.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by dayokanu(m): 7:26pm On May 09, 2012
So anyone wey expand his gutter or soakaway now can be said to have a port in Ibo land
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by jbaur24: 7:33pm On May 09, 2012
Eko Ile=dayokanu

Why not go to this thread and see the type of development obtainable in your retardeen yorubaland. grin grin grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/933109/osun-kicks-off-n300m-hydro-power
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by karlmax2: 9:02pm On May 09, 2012
Another GEJ ELection promise delivered haters take note
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by GAR3TH(m): 9:48pm On May 09, 2012
karl max: Another GEJ ELection promise delivered haters take note

It was President Umaru Yar’ Adua regime that renovated the port and it was the the ministry of transportation and the Ministry of Works & Infrastructure that continued the project not GEJ.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by bestview: 11:14pm On May 09, 2012
Staff Qtrs within the Port Complex. Am sure they have completed the landscaping because this picture was taken early this year.

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by karlmax2: 7:12am On May 10, 2012
I know the haters would come here and say its yar adua na GOd go punish the hand that Ʊ used to type that trash so yar adua was the one that promised the SE that the abandon port would be completed during the 2011 election campaing!! Yar abua gave the order from the grave to complete the abandon port keep hating while GeJ keep working by the Time he achieves anotheR of his election promise fools like Ʊ would come and attribute it to a man that died 2years ago may his soul rest in peace!keep hating haters maybe when electricity improves in nigeria Ʊ would say is BUHARI that did it fooL!
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Ngwakwe: 7:44am On May 10, 2012
dayokanu: at least the SE has a port now.

Maybe its time for those in the SW to return home and actually invest in their villages

This comment is so foo.lish and too stu.pid as in telling the South Westerners and Europeans working in Oil companies in the South South to return home now the Militants know how to operate Rigs.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Dondbuzor: 8:38am On May 10, 2012
kostadinis:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

There is nothing like a SEAPORT in the actual sense. Almost all what we call SEAPORTS all over the world are actually not on the sea proper but located on bodies of water that leads to the sea. The Lagos ports for example, were not built on the atlantic ocean, but are located on the lagoon that leads to the sea kilometers away. Port Harcourt port is on Bonny river 55 km to the ocean, Warri port is on a river 60km to the Ocean, Calabar is 55 km to the ocean and Onitsha is 135 km to the ocean.

One of the most popular, prestigious port in the world with the longest wharf is Port Of new orleans in the US, it is located 177 km to the gulf of mexico (ocean, it's built on missisipi river. By definition, Onitsha is a seaport because it is built on a body of water that leads direct to the sea like any other seaport in the world.

The most important thing is for it to commence operation. When activities picks up, wharf facilities could be extended upwards to adjoining places like Anam or downwards to adjoining places like odekpe, okpoko and Atani. It could be expanded to be as large as any seaport in the world. It is only the activities that will tell.

Thanx for d info.

Atleast haters can go and die
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Onlytruth(m): 8:49am On May 10, 2012
Onitsha, by virtue of its location, is very strategic. IT SHOULD BE A MAJOR TRANSPORTATION HUB (linking South, West, East and North).
This sea port, when fully functional, should accompany other transportation infrastructure to create that hub.
Now, imagine Onitsha with a seaport, international airport, train station and bus station; this town will come alive explosively!
Looking at the map, the seaport has enough space for expansion. I'll post the map. cool
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Onlytruth(m): 8:58am On May 10, 2012
The dotted line is where the port can expand to. Of course it can expand farther into the Bridge head market (if need be). All the traders need is to relocate to another sight. There are already too many markets in Onitsha as is.

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Beaf: 9:04am On May 10, 2012
@OnlyTruth
Do you know where the new Niger Bridge is planned to be built? That might also affect the future expansion possibilities.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Onlytruth(m): 9:07am On May 10, 2012
Beaf: @OnlyTruth
Do you know where the new Niger Bridge is planned to be built? That might also affect the future expansion possibilities.

I don't know where the second bridge would pass, but I read sometime ago that it will be a little northern to the current bridge (towards Omambala river/Anam) side. That is far away from the current bridge.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Onlytruth(m): 9:20am On May 10, 2012
Err Beaf, it appears that the second bridge should be longer than existing one because the current bridge is occupying the shortest distance crossing of the Niger in Onitsha. In some parts, it might even be twice the length of current bridge! shocked
Well, I hope GEJ swings to action soon.
We appreciate this sea/river port though. It is a promise fulfilled when he commissions it. cool
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Beaf: 9:48am On May 10, 2012
^
Thanks for the info on the 2nd bridge.
Perhaps, vantage points on the road network through Asaba will play a part in determining its exact location. It has to be at least 4 lanes wide to be sensible.

I'm hoping the new bridge is built before anything catastrophic happens to the current one. That thing is just too old and narrow now, I feel trepidation each time I cross it.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by PHIPEX(m): 10:27am On May 10, 2012
Am surprised that this topic is not on the front page yet.

I can't wait to see the port become operational.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by doncaster(m): 10:34am On May 10, 2012
GAR3TH:

It was President Umaru Yar’ Adua regime that renovated the port and it was the the ministry of transportation and the Ministry of Works & Infrastructure that continued the project not GEJ.
Lol when ministry fail we blame Jona but when ministry do well we say "its not Jona" why can't people be stable for once in their life.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by chino11(m): 10:39am On May 10, 2012
This is the video of the new 2nd Niger Bridge from the Ministry of works. It will go south ward of the current Bridge towards Atani-Ogbaru areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRW2pSuHpo
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by jason123: 10:43am On May 10, 2012
Nice pics! May God make it possible! cool
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by kobikwelu(m): 2:40am On Jul 31, 2012
hopefully it picks up..hopefully...

the possibilities are innumerable...

hopefully
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Idokojimmy: 10:45am On Jul 31, 2012
The Govt deserves commendation, though there is room for improvement. It shouldn't end at commissioning, it must also be made to function to full capacity.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by EkoIle1: 1:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
Odechukwu Abdul Reterdeen dey shayo jamaican rum and ganja with mdam umbllera in jamaica and these losers are sitting around waiting or odechukwu to commission their village canoe port.....funnies..
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:28am On Nov 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOumyAkZJUY

You can see that from around may when initial pics were taken, to the date of the attached video (21.11.12), that nothing is happening in that so-called river port; i felt all along that nothing would be happening there, and this video has confirmed it for me.

Looks like we've been sold another dummy, and it seems i'm the only person that appears to be bothered about this; nobody else is asking questions about this phantom river port and why it's not operational yet undecided.

The first people i'll direct my anger at are the useless south east representatives we have at the national assembly, the south easterners in gov't and the Anambra state gov't; these people need to find out what exactly is preventing this port from operating at full capacity and remedy the situation ASAP!; going by the thousands of trailers and trucks on the highways, it's not like there's no demand for the port, so something else besides 'demand' must be the problem .
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Malawian(m): 4:07am On Nov 24, 2012
pls, what lies behind those hills in the horizon? i remember thing about it when i was looking at it from nkpor.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by nku5: 5:34am On Nov 24, 2012
Nwanne. E no kwa east. m bia e kwa ozu, my uncle na obosi nya. I for invite you.

Malawian: pls, what lies behind those hills in the horizon? i remember thing about it when i was looking at it from nkpor.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by kettykin: 5:36am On Nov 24, 2012
Eko Ile: Odechukwu Abdul Reterdeen dey shayo jamaican rum and ganja with mdam umbllera in jamaica and these losers are sitting around waiting or odechukwu to commission their village canoe port.....funnies..
He is still a million times better than the hypocrit and antichrist Obasanjo who for a 3rd term he eventually did not get sold his soul and is now working to prevent another person from getting a second term
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by geez1: 7:06am On Nov 24, 2012
This one na jetty nah grin

Even the Ibadan Dry Port is way bigger than this and I know some factories in Ogun, not to mention Lagos and Ibadan, that have bigger cargo facilities than this

And I keep saying if Onitsha and Asaba was like Lagos and Ogun, the Second Niger Bridge would have been built long ago by both states
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Malawian(m): 7:52am On Nov 24, 2012
geez*:
This one na jetty nah grin

Even the Ibadan Dry Port is way bigger than this and I know some factories in Ogun, not to mention Lagos and Ibadan, that have bigger cargo facilities than this

And I keep saying if Onitsha and Asaba was like Lagos and Ogun, the Second Niger Bridge would have been built long ago by both states
plz, the area surrounding that onitsha port is vast and unused. it can always be expanded as big as needed.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Malawian(m): 7:53am On Nov 24, 2012
nku5: Nwanne. E no kwa east. m bia e kwa ozu, my uncle na obosi nya. I for invite you.

i dey lag o. e don dey reach 2 yrs now wey i see head bridge sef. no be funny matter again o.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by nku5: 8:43am On Nov 24, 2012
No be small thing o. It had been 2 years for me too. But now I'm here I know I need to come down more often. E sweet no be small. Nowhere like home bros

Malawian: i dey lag o. e don dey reach 2 yrs now wey i see head bridge sef. no be funny matter again o.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by otokx(m): 8:53am On Nov 24, 2012
12 months from today, hope we will not be saying the same thing, you guys should only rejoice when the first real ship gets there.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday / Will You Support The Return Of Barth Nnaji As Power Minister... / Profile Of Peter Obi, Former Governor Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.