Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,294 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here - Politics (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here (226351 Views)

We Get Many Complaints Against Obasanjo Foundation –UK Commission / How To Send Complaints About Bad Roads In Lagos / Let's Have Your Complaints Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (315) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by 9jaIhail(m): 11:47pm On Mar 13, 2013
manny4life:

Oh we will, I cannot debate this issue now, brother is cooking up some meals, when I'm done, I will bring this issue up. We like to know who this executive is.

The bold is my concern and i cared so much to know who this executive is.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by ACM10: 11:51pm On Mar 13, 2013
[size=18pt][center]Are we Igbos or "Ibos"?[/center][/size]

The "Ibo" misspelling of the south eastern Nigerian Igbo ethnicnation of almost 32 million people reflect, essentially, a post-colonial hangover of British and Euro-Caucasoid colonial miseducation,misrepresentations, and (mis)pronounciation preference. It is/wasjust easier for the White man/woman to say 'Ibo' rather than'Igbo.' We must remember the late psychiatrist, pan-Africanscholar and activist Franz Fanon's mytho-poetic and insightful wordsin his 1952 book, Black Skin White Masks, that "A man who hasa language [consequently] possesses the world expressed andimplied by that language." Should Igbos and other Africannationalities, incrementally and foolishly give up the core of theircommunal and national identity on the discredited altars ofEuro-Caucasoid racist supremacy and colonial predations? I have tw omodest answers: first is No; and second is No.

By Chido Nwangwu

(December 11, 2001): Regarding the use of the word "Ibo" as opposed to "Igbo" in the commentaries and recent announcements by some of our folks, may I make a few observations.

First, let's state the most important element of this languageadvisory: the erroneous, incorrect usage and blatant dislocation of the Igbo identity and name is the preference for the colonial spelling and reference, lazily spelled as "Ibo." Second, the "Ibo"misspelling reflects, essentially, a post-colonial hangover of British and Euro-Caucasoid colonial miseducation, misrepresentations,incorrect spellings and (mis)pronounciation preference. It is/was just easier for the White man/woman to say 'Ibo' rather than 'Igbo.'

Such language and cultural impositions which are fancifully andfarcically adopted by the colonized natives and the dispirited arestill evident across the African continent, south and central Asia and parts of Latin America where colonialist predation was not only economic but a crude decapitation of the languages, mores, culture and identities of the ethnic nations they invaded and colonized.

Third, and more important, the linguistic history, autography and anthropological identities of the almost 35 million citizens of the enterprising, vibrant, resourceful, unduly intra-antagonistic,capitalistic, religious, and republicanist communities and people who form the Igbo nation show, credibly, that our language and ethnic nation should always be identified and spelt as Igbo.

Note the fact that there's an Igbo alphabet identified as "gb" as distinguishable from "g" and "b"; same for "gw" as distinguishable from "g" and "w". For instance in Nwangwu, which many inattentivenon-Igbo, put forth a wrong, hurried misspelling: Nwangu.

Again, they remove the Igbo alphabet "gw". For the nation, Igbo,the 'gb' is the key.

Many Igbos and other people have mixed up the Igbo identity/name/language/people with this colonial misrepresentation as"Ibo(s)."

We must not dilute the correct spelling(s) of the Igbo nation and people; and in fact ours, individually. Otherwise, we should allgladly celebrate the backwater hatefulness encapsulated in them is spelling of Obigbo and Umumasi as (R)umuigbo and (R)umumasi. It'sthat important and basic, too.

We should not give up any Igbo alphabet and spellings, in this regard, therefore. It is different from abbreviating a long surname or first name.

Immediately after the birth on December 20, 1998, of the Houston octuplets, I believe one of the better things I've contributed to global Igbo interest was factually and materially causing the world's number 1 news agency AP through some of its news staff, especially Mark Barbineck (bless him!) to change the reference to Igbos as"Ibos" as a minimum standard for me to do the interviews with AP(same standard was held up for any other media corporation during mypro-bono (free) international multimedia projection services and newsinterviews I offered to benefit the octuplets and their parents. It has become, thankfully, the AP standards as well as those of almost 30,000 newspapers who take the AP and Reuters' news feed to refer to us as Igbo(s). If your local newspaper does the "Ibo" stuff, kindly write them and demand a correction.

Hopefully, this modest language advisory will set the affirmative,conclusive identification on the issue of whether we are "Ibos" or Igbos. It is, for me, Igbos, sui generis, as a people, an identityand as a language.

We must remember the late psychiatrist, pan-African scholar andactivist Franz Fanon's mytho-poetic and insightful words in his 1952book, Black Skin White Masks, that "A man who has a language[consequently] possesses the world expressed and implied bythat language."

Should Igbos and other African nationalities, incrementally and foolishly give up the core of their communal and national identity on the discredited altars of Euro-Caucasoid racist supremacy and colonial predations? My modest answer is No.

Before some demagogic and ill-informed "native" comes to the defense of the Euro-Caucasian impositions, let's quickly note thatthis is not a debate about language accretion and/or addingconceptual properties and descriptive symbols to enrich our language,or any language, for that matter. For example, I argue we should add the words Computer, Internet, etc to the Igbo language, and regarding same in its contextualized Igbo meaning or word(s).

I'll state, without fear of contradiction that no language,today, is clinically restricted and strictly reflective of itsnational borders. None! Not even the Talibans in their tunnel vision of the world, and cultural phillistinism.

May God continue to enrich the Igbo nation as we protect, project and defend our heritage and identity into the new millennium. I'llclose with the wise words of the same, late African warrior FranzFanon who wrote, "Each generation must discover its mission, fulfillit, or betray it." On whose and which side areyou?
ChidoNwangwu, recipient ofthe Journalism Excellence award (1997), is Founder and Publisher ofUSAfricaonline.com(first African-owned U.S.-based professional newspaper to bepublished on the internet), USAfrica The Newspaper, NigeriaCentral.comand TheBlack Business Journal.

He serves as an adviser tothe Mayor of Houston on international business (Africa), has appearedas an analyst on the CNN, VOA, NPR, CBS News, NBC and ABC newsaffiliates, and South Africa Broadcasting Corporation, SABC.

http://www.usafricaonline.com/chido.igbosoribos.html
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Afam4eva(m): 11:53pm On Mar 13, 2013
One thing is certain. The correct spelling and pronunciation is Igbo and not Ibo. But that doesn't make Ibo derogatory. It's unfortunate that some Igbos and other Nigerians have adopted the white man's way of calling the Igbos. Even Achebe, Azikiwe and other prominent Igbos have always used the term Ibo. That doesn't make it right and that doesn't also make it derogatory. OAM4J was actually ready to start banning people for using Ibo instead of Igbo but i explained to him that it will set a bad precedence if we do because we also have to start banning people for typing Enugu instead of Enugwu, Ibusa instead of Igbo-uzor and Anambra instead of Omanbala. We may even need to start banning people for typing Chichi instead of Chinyere, Chioma etc. It will also not be ideal to ban someone who has known it as Ibo all his life and comes to Nairaland and be banned without knowing that it's wrong to type Ibo. My Igbo brothers, i think this is one fight we have to let slide. I'm Igbo but i don't find it derogatory to be called Ibo because Ibo along with Ibo are been used in official and even cultural documents. What we have to strive to do is to educate people on the right way to refer to Igbos and not punish people for doing what they never thought was wrong.

6 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Katsumoto: 11:53pm On Mar 13, 2013
naijababe: Jisox! Katsy, na you be this!!! That your epistle must have taken some effort o grin

Yep in the e-flesh. grin grin grin
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Ikenna351(m): 12:07am On Mar 14, 2013
Afam4eva: One thing is certain. The correct spelling and pronunciation is Igbo and not Ibo. But that doesn't make Ibo derogatory. It's unfortunate that some Igbos and other Nigerians have adopted the white man's way of calling the Igbos. Even Achebe, Azikiwe and other prominent Igbos have always used the term Ibo. That doesn't make it right and that doesn't also make it derogatory. OAM4J was actually ready to start banning people for using Ibo instead of Igbo but i explained to him that it will set a bad precedence if we do because we also have to start banning people for typing Enugu instead of Enugwu, Ibusa instead of Igbo-uzor and Anambra instead of Omanbala. We may even need to start banning people for typing Chichi instead of Chinyere, Chioma etc. It will also not be ideal to ban someone who has known it as Ibo all his life and comes to Nairaland and be banned without knowing that it's wrong to type Ibo. My Igbo brothers, i think this is one fight we have to let slide. I'm Igbo but i don't find it derogatory to be called Ibo because Ibo along with Ibo are been used in official and even cultural documents. What we have to strive to do is to educate people on the right way to refer to Igbos and not punish people for doing what they never thought was wrong.

What does chichi got to do with Ibo? If you are saying Ibo is a short form of saying Igbo, then allow Igbos to give any short name to Yoruba. If that is the case, dont ban anyone that call yorubas "Y.bas".

How do mean that Achebe, Zik and other prominent Igbos "always" use the word Ibo? Stop saying that, its very annoying.

Ikenna.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Afam4eva(m): 12:11am On Mar 14, 2013
Ikenna351:

What does chichi got to do with Ibo? If you are saying Ibo is a short form of saying Igbo, then allow Igbos to give any short name to Yoruba. If that is the case, dont bane anyone that call yorubas "Y.bas".

How do mean that Achebe, Zik and other prominent Igbos "always" use the word Ibo? Stop saying that, its very annoying.

Ikenna.
We're talking about Ibo being derogatory and i'm saying that there are people that may find using Chichi instead of the proper name as derogatory. Same goes for Enugu, Ibusa and Omanbala that i mentioned. This is not about shortening it. I really have no problem in allowing that whoever uses Igbo be banned but the problem is that the rule will not only apply to Ibo but will apply to other terms that can be described as derogatory as well.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by omonnakoda: 12:50am On Mar 14, 2013
Afam4eva: One thing is certain. The correct spelling and pronunciation is Igbo and not Ibo. But that doesn't make Ibo derogatory. It's unfortunate that some Igbos and other Nigerians have adopted the white man's way of calling the Igbos. Even Achebe, Azikiwe and other prominent Igbos have always used the term Ibo. That doesn't make it right and that doesn't also make it derogatory. OAM4J was actually ready to start banning people for using Ibo instead of Igbo but i explained to him that it will set a bad precedence if we do because we also have to start banning people for typing Enugu instead of Enugwu, Ibusa instead of Igbo-uzor and Anambra instead of Omanbala. We may even need to start banning people for typing Chichi instead of Chinyere, Chioma etc. It will also not be ideal to ban someone who has known it as Ibo all his life and comes to Nairaland and be banned without knowing that it's wrong to type Ibo. My Igbo brothers, i think this is one fight we have to let slide. I'm Igbo but i don't find it derogatory to be called Ibo because Ibo along with Ibo are been used in official and even cultural documents. What we have to strive to do is to educate people on the right way to refer to Igbos and not punish people for doing what they never thought was wrong.
I will not talk about the correct pronunciation beacause only the Ibo/Igbo know that best.However this idea of "correct" spelling" misses a crucial point ;there is an Ibo/Igbo alphabet which is NOT the same as the English alphabet and Igbo in (Igbo/Ibo) and Igbo in English are completely different entities. Ibo is simply the Anglicized for and we may debate whether it is appropriate to Anglicize names etc .
A few Examples

French Francais
German Deutsche
Spanish Espanol
Portuguese Portuguesa
Italian Italiano
Dutch Nederlandais

etc

China,Japan,Belgium,Ivory Coast Poland etc are all anglicized forms that are different from the Original forms in spelling and Mexico,Argentina are pronounced differently by the owners without anyone being insulted

IN no Instance does anyone come up with this ridiculous idea ofany of these example being "DEROGATORY".
Germans speaking English will tell you they are "GERMAN" but in their language describe themselves as DEUTSCHE>

This point should be firmly grasped.

and whilst there has been debate about Ibo being inaccurate elsewhere this "derogatory" idea is new and funny.

A few more examples many Ibos/Igbos are Catholics and probably talk about Pope John Paul II Papa Juan Paolo Segundo
or the the new Papa Francisco = Pope Francis I what next ,Catholics coming up here telling us Pope Francis is derogatory.
Ibo might be wrong (Debatable) but it is certainly NOT derogatory and those wishing to stop it are going about it the wrong way.At any rate there is no unanimity among Igbo/Ibo that it should stop and so we should let peace reign

1 Like

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Ikenna351(m): 12:52am On Mar 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
We're talking about Ibo being derogatory and i'm saying that there are people that may find using Chichi instead of the proper name as derogatory. Same goes for Enugu, Ibusa and Omanbala that i mentioned. This is not about shortening it. I really have no problem in allowing that whoever uses Igbo be banned but the problem is that the rule will not only apply to Ibo but will apply to other terms that can be described as derogatory as well.

We are looking for a way of eliminating tribal fight here, but you are not making it easy. You are simply twisting issues.

If Chinyere doesnt like to be addressed as chichi, that should be respected. After all, Chinyere is the name given to her from birth by her parents. Likewise, a nation, an entity, a tribe known as Igbo was existing before the coming of the whites. The whites came and couldnt pronounce and spell Igbo. They called the entity Ibo. They left, leaving their products of western education in the seat of govt, who still had colonial mentality. As decades past, people started to realise they were still suffering from mental colonization and decided to be who they are, and not what someone wants them to be. Hence, Igbos stopped answering English names in formal settings and documents. Even some already answering English names started to write their English names as its pronounced in Igbo. My VC back then in UNIZIK was writing his name as Pita, not Peter.

There was never a time in my life while i was growing up in the East when any Igbo addressed himself or a fellow Igbo as an Ibo. Even in my Primary and sec sch, we were never taught to write Ibo, even though Ibo was written some of the text books in those decades.

If no one could go to a gathering in any of the the Eastern states and addressed people the Igbos as Ibos, why then should one, in his right senses, now write Ibo, when he could verbally pronounce it as Igbo? Isnt that an insult?

The Rwanda genocide didnt just happen like that. Things like this is what could lead to it. This section has become a ground where tribal hate is growing everyday. Either you stop it or encourage it and see where it leads to. Those calling the Igbos "Ibos" know what they are doing. So spare me that crap "Ibo is not derogatory". It may not be outside Nairaland, but it is here. Thats what Nairaland has degenerated into.

No matter how you want to see it, politics section has become a ground for Nigerians to gather and insults each other tribes.
I dont care what Achebe calls himself. What matters is what is right. And the question to you Afam is " Are you an Ibo or an Igbo?

Ikenna.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by omonnakoda: 1:01am On Mar 14, 2013
Are
Germany ,
France,
Morocco,
Holland,
Spain,
Italy
etc
"Right"
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by omonnakoda: 1:02am On Mar 14, 2013
Is Lagos right or Eko.

How will you react to an arbitrary order to stop saying Lagos and start saying

"Eko"
How many Yoruba people say "LAGOS" when speaking Yoruba ?

2 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Paschal007: 1:18am On Mar 14, 2013
Oga Seun should do to 'I.bo' what he did to 'Y.oroba' nah. It's only fair. So we know anybody that tries to circumvent the word censor is looking for trouble. That's my own take o. wink
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Seun(m): 1:25am On Mar 14, 2013
This Ibo vs Igbo issue deserves its own thread. Lets allow this thread to be used for more serious complaints, please.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by omonnakoda: 1:32am On Mar 14, 2013
Seun: This Ibo vs Igbo issue deserves its own thread. Lets allow this thread to be used for more serious complaints, please.
You ae absolutely right! I have a complaint! Why was I banned for saying IBO.Will you apologize to me for that?? smiley
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 1:51am On Mar 14, 2013
As i type from my Android phone ,i see Ibo and not Igbo .I think Ibo is generally accepted and should not be seen as derogatory. Igbo too is also accepted and mainly used when writing in Igbo Language. No matter how we whine and cry about it, we can't change it. Ibo is not derogatory!

1 Like

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by OAM4J: 2:10am On Mar 14, 2013
As advised by Seun debate on Ibo Vs Igbo should be taken to a new thread in Ethnics section. Further comments on the debate on this thread will be removed.

Thanks.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by alex14(m): 2:33am On Mar 14, 2013
OAM4J: As advised by Seun debate on Ibo Vs Igbo should be taken to a new thread in Ethnics section. Further comments on the debate on this thread will be removed.

Thanks.
So you hid my post and banned "alex101" simply because I said Igbo posters should respond in kind? Is respect not suppose to be reciprocal?
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Onlytruth(m): 2:57am On Mar 14, 2013
@ALL Mods of this Section

There have been several reports by Igbo posters alleging that they are being banned for actions which Yoruba posters readily embark upon with total impunity.
Sometimes dayokanu instigates attacks and insults, and when Igbo posters respond, they are banned.

This is an official complaint from Eze Ndigbo Nairaland.

Such biased moderating of this Section should stop in the interest of peace and "cleanliness" of this Section.

Respect is reciprocal.

I take it that the owner of this site will not allow his site to be used as a platform for attacking the Igbo Nation.

Like I have said severally, we are not totally powerless here.

Let the rules apply to all equally.

A word is enough for the wise. cool
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by YorubaOmoge: 3:01am On Mar 14, 2013
Mods,

Why do I keep seeing same igbos insulting Yorubas? And many using multiple IDs simultaneously. I.e nwando/babyosisi.

Afamaeva, as an Igbo and a mod, you're supposed to be unbiased and fair.

Please fix the problem.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by dayokanu(m): 3:03am On Mar 14, 2013
Onlytruth: @ALL Mods of this Section

There have been several reports by Igbo posters alleging that they are being banned for actions which Yoruba posters readily embark upon with total impunity.
Sometimes dayokanu instigates attacks and insults, and when Igbo posters respond, they are banned.

Such biased moderating of this Section should stop in the interest of peace and "cleanliness" of this Section.

Respect is reciprocal.

I take it that the owner of this site will not allow his site to be used as a platform for attacking the Igbo Nation.

The menbitches are back All hail the Eze who whines when his people are attacked back after they start the initial attack

MITCH, Show us anywhere Dayokanu started the attacks

Hows your new website project going. How soon are you migrating your whiners over there so you can do the unending Anambra vs Enugu/Imo bitchathon

4 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by manny4life(m): 3:08am On Mar 14, 2013

Respect is reciprocal.

My brother, NL is already phucked as it is, while your appeal WILL DEFINITELY fall on deaf ears, don't forget Mr. itchy fingers endorses bigotry as well. You do not expect itchy fingers to act, do you? If you've noticed, same people are recycled (with numerous id) continuously. For me, I'm not worried because I just pass my time on here, nothing else.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by dayokanu(m): 3:18am On Mar 14, 2013

Show us one single forum rule he flouted
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by cfours: 3:28am On Mar 14, 2013
Onlytruth:

There have been several reports by Igbo posters alleging. . .

I think we need Seun to officially announce if he will accept your posts as being representative of all igbo posters on nairaland.
because you are an individual here just as anybody else. your comments aren't anymore important or "official" than anybody else's no matter what you call yourself, self-title and all. Let those "igbos" come on here individually to make their complaints.

Seun, please let us know if you accept Onlytruth as some igbo king here on nairaland who has a right to decide for other igbos + gain increased privileges on Nairaland for being some NL igbo king. and ability to speak on behalf of hundreds/thousands of other people.
can't these igbos he talks about come and speak for themselves? how do we know "onlytruth" is telling the truth when we have no evidence except for maybe private message communication between him and his groupies who in reality only number in tens at most (usually it is the liars and crooks who use this kind of username to cover their real identity. because truth always speaks for itself)

1 Like

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by itsekiri89(m): 3:35am On Mar 14, 2013
Onlytruth: This is an official complaint from Eze Ndigbo Nairaland.

Dude, you really mean business with this position.

Uncle Dayo,

We need our own Eze NdiYoruba o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (315)

Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) / Governorship Election Results 2019 From Polling Units Across States (unofficial) / Anambra Governorship Election 2017 Results - Live Updates (Unofficial)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.