Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,486 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku (12746 Views)

Jonathan Releases N9.9B For Cassava Bread / Olusegun Obasanjo Eating Cassava Bread (Picture) / Obasanjo Exports Cassava Bread To Tanzania (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku by Aishah1: 10:53am On May 20, 2012
Abagworo: That Abakaliki rice is the sweetesy rice I've eaten.The problem lies with filtering the stones but the taste is superb. Does anyone in Port Harcourt know where I can get it?
F.F.O.
Re: GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku by Nobody: 11:14am On May 20, 2012
Abagworo: That Abakaliki rice is the sweetesy rice I've eaten.The problem lies with filtering the stones but the taste is superb. Does anyone in Port Harcourt know where I can get it?

I dey hear you

Many varieties of rice are grown in Abakaliki and its environs. These varieties (such as Faro 14, Mass, Faro 52, Sipi, Awilo, Canada and so on) exhibit on cooking marked differences in quality.

The proximate compositions were estimated using compositional analysis of Association of Official Analytical Chemists, while the mineral element contents were determined using atomic absorption spectrophotometer. Analysis of variance shows that there is significant difference (p<0.05) in the proximate compositions of the rice varieties studied (Sipi>Faro14>Awilo>Faro15>Canada). No significant difference (p>0.05) exists in sodium, phosphorous, calcium and magnesium contents of the rice varieties studied. There is significant difference (p<0.05) in nitrogen (Canada>(Awilo,Faro15)>Sipi>Faro14) and potassium (Canada>Sipi>Awilo>Faro15>Faro14). Canada and Faro 14varieties should get more attentions among other varieties in terms of proximate and mineral compositions. The result of this study can be exploited by rice consumers and also rice farmers in Abakaliki and its environs in their choices regarding mineral and proximate compositions
Source: AO, O., & Ugwu, S. I. (2011). The proximate and mineral compositions of five major rice varieties in Abakaliki, South-Eastern Nigeria.
[url=http://www.academicjournals.org/IJPPB/PDF/PDF%202011/Feb/Oko%20and%20Ugwu.pdf/]Paper[/url]

The objective of this study is to ascertain the effect of cooking and soaking on the physical characteristics, nutrient composition and sensory evaluation of indigenous ‘ofada’ rice and foreign ‘aroso’ rice varieties in Nigeria. The two rice varieties were freshly purchased in the raw state, soaked in water and cooked. The physical characteristics, such as, length, width, weight, colour, purity, breakage, cooking time, dispersability and swelling capacity of the raw rice varieties were determined.

The raw, soaked and cooked rice varieties were oven dried as 60°C for 4 h and milled to attain uniform surface area. The proximate composition and some minerals of the raw, soaked and cooked rice varieties and the sensory evaluation of the cooked rice were determined. Ofada and aroso rice varieties were brown and creamy in colour, respectively. There were significant (p<0.01) differences in the purity, breakage, cooking time, swelling capacity and weight of the whole grain, but with no difference in the length and width. The raw, cooked and soaked ofada rice contain more protein, fat, and fibre than in aroso rice, but with no change in carbohydrate content .There were no significant (p>0.01) differences in the levels of minerals; Ca, Fe, Mg and P, in raw, cooked and soaked ofada and aroso rice.

Sensory evaluation showed that cooked aroso rice was generally preferred, in terms of colour, aroma, taste, texture and overall acceptability
Source: Ebuehi, O. A. ., & Oyewole, A. C. (2010). Effect of cooking and soaking on physical characteristics, nutrient composition and sensory evaluation of indigenous and foreign rice varieties in Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology, 6(cool.
Paper
Re: GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku by Nobody: 11:16am On May 20, 2012
Aishah1: Nign's Info Ministers, includng Maku, have reputation 4 blatant lies. We don wise up. Dey can't fool us anymore.

Like you I know Maku is a born-again liar grin grin grin
Re: GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku by juman(m): 12:52pm On May 20, 2012
After 50 years of "indepedence" we still have broken and stoney rice. Even the state governors can do something on this. New brand of rice and other crops like mango, tomato, banana etc. that are acceptable in international market is important.

With our crazy population of 170 million we have big market for good brands products. I always wonder what is the main function of Institute of Agricultural Research and Training in the country.
Re: GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku by pinkrex(m): 4:34am On May 27, 2012
maasoap: Infact, you're a real slow poke! Are you telling me that you believe Jona the retarden is actually consuming cassava bread? BTW, are you @Beaf with another username? Because it is like @beaf is getting tired these days and all of a sudden you just crawled up from nowhere and started the job where @beaf stopped. Stop advertising Jona, he's a bad product.
slow poke for having a different opinion or not joining the bandwagon? Besides did Jona ever advertised this or Maku? Please watch it with me next time. We are even too hate engulfed to deduced speeches lately.
Re: GEJ Now Eats Abakaliki/Ofada Rice & Cassava Bread - Min. Maku by henryc2(m): 7:35pm On Aug 31, 2014
Rice (oryza sativa l) is the main staple food for two third of the world population providing 21% of global dietary energy,14% of protein and 2% of fat(Kennedy and Burlingame 2003).It is primarily utilized for its starch content which is approximately 90% of dry grain weight (Bao et al 2004,Patindol and Wang 2002).Among the major cereal grains, rice is the only grain that is widely eaten as a whole grain after cooking. Generally

http://www.scharticles.com/evaluation-cooking-minerals-starch-characteristics-rice-varieties/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last? / How To Bake Nigerian Bread? / Preserving Plantain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.