Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label (31033 Views)

D’banj Signs Olamide To DB Records / FMP: Kokomaster D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label / D'banj Signs Davido To His New Rrecord Label Def Jam Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by chucky234(m): 3:12pm On May 20, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Scheisbe. . . .Now Davido suddenly becomes a novice simply because he associated himself with Dbanj ? Wtf;I thought somebody just signed Savage without any criticism.What is the big deal about dbanj signing davido ?
Why compare Davido to Tiwa nah,Tiwa wrote chat bursting track for Fantasia and the tracks are just out of the box,check Tiwa's bio.....
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by nolongtin(m): 3:54pm On May 20, 2012
He is def. making a statement when all dem peeps are giving him the attention he craves,big up boy...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/7721233/Football-Firsts
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by nolongtin(m): 4:12pm On May 20, 2012
HIS SONG WELCOMED THE NEW YEAR @ FIREWORKS IN LONDON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWjl0NJZsk

TALKING TO MTV..
http://www.mtv.co.uk/music/urban/4965-interview-d-banj
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by nolongtin(m): 4:45pm On May 20, 2012
DON JAZZY..I MISS DBANJ.

Don Jazzy. Remember him? He worked with D’banj and they ran the Mo’Hits Records together. Suddenly, there was a rupture. In this interview, he captures life after Mo’Hits.

Did you envisage the break-up?

Obviously, I would not have seen it coming seven years ago when we started the company. But a year to the breakup, I saw it coming. We tried as much as possible to make it work. A lot of things happened even when we had shows like Koko Concert in Lagos, London and New York. We already had problems then but we still had to go for the shows and generally put up a front that all was well when in actual fact, it was not. It is not like it just happened; it took time because we knew that we had something very important to save.

What efforts did you make to ensure the partnership didn’t crumble?

Everybody tried to stop the break-up. If I did not want the company to move on, why did I travel from here to New York for a D’banj concert? It was a beautiful thing for Nigeria, Africa and us.

Are you still feeling hurt?

Yes, it hurt then and it still hurts. It’s not just me, even fans were badly hit. I remember when I was with a lady friend of mine and we were supposed to have a meeting. I told her it couldn’t hold because I had some issues to take care of. I told her Mo’Hits was going to break up and she started crying. The same way we feel bad about it, is how a lot of people are going to feel.

Is it true that you asked for separation from the group?

We were working together and all was going on well. It got to a point where I looked at the situation and we both decided that it was not working and we had to move on.

Did Kanye West take on both of you? Many said it was the origin of the problems?

We were both signed and I am still on that label. My deal with the label is one of the best deals ever. The deal is still on and I will still be a part of it until the day I terminate the contract.

So that means you are still working or going to work with Kanye West?

I am supposed to be in New York now but considering the fact that they know I have a lot of work to do in Nigeria, I can’t be in two places at once. I have to finish one before I start any international jobs.

Your new label Mavin Records was a direct result of the break-up…

I did not think I was going to change the name of my company for any reason. A month before we launched, I thought that companies go through rebranding for many reasons. I am supposed to still be the Chief Executive Officer of Mo’Hits Records and I own it 100 per cent now. What I did was to just go for a name change. I won’t be the first to do so. Although Mo’Hits is a name everybody has come to love and accept, they will love Mavin also.

Are you shopping for a replacement for Dbanj?

I have not gone to look for anybody that will replace Dbanj and I will never look for who will replace him. It is not possible! Entertainers are not the same, just as no two people are the same. I definitely know there is no way I am going to come across someone who is exactly like D’banj. He knows how to ride the audience, how to carry them along and I have watched the industry for many years and know it is going to be difficult to find someone who is like him.

You brought Tiwa Savage on board…

Even before the breakup, I have been looking for a female artiste. I have been talking with Tiwa for a long time. If I did not tell her to leave Los Angeles and move back home, she would not have come. I have been very interested in her career. At some point, I knew one day, we were going to end up working together.

At Mavin, are you still going to take a back seat like you did at Mo’Hits?

Definitely. I am even going to retreat further. As you all can tell from the new album Solar Plexus, which we just released, I tried as much as possible not to sing. I really don’t want to be an artiste. I understand that my vocal strength only appeals to a small number of people, so I don’t feel comfortable. I don’t like videos or cameras either. I love being involved in production. I am going to stick to that. Mavin is going to be run the way Mo’hits was run but with more expertise. I am going to get experts, who will take care of certain things. I can’t mix business and the creative process together. It’s better to have separation of duties. I have some producers and other artistes in mind that I don’t intend to make public now. All I would say is that we should look forward to a very exciting journey.

Your mix tape, Solar Plexus, is like a test run, how would you adjudge the response to it so far?

I have been releasing tracks for a long time now but I have never got this number of positive responses. Normally, when we release a track, we expect to get like 50 or 60 percent positive feedbacks but this one really shocked me. I don’t know if it’s what you call sympathy votes or it’s because there are more people who want to listen and see what we have come up with. Only a few people are criticising us.

Do you miss D’banj?

Definitely I do. I miss him a lot. I got in here today and the first thing I wanted to say was I’m D’banj!

1 Like

Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Esosa01(m): 5:22pm On May 20, 2012
Yorisb:

I taya oo! grin And soon, Divido go sign Wizkid.grin
p.o.c, Akon has signed wizkid.
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 20, 2012
bittyend: When is Flava Nalbania going to write and sing his OWN tunes grin grin grin

Homo arse flava, that chief remixer.. grin grin grin grin

You're so biased that it's disgusting. It's your type that will say "Osondi Owendi" and "Mama", but those were both MC Loph's songs. Maybe "Bottom Belle" but that's Omawumi init? All your left with is "Ashawo". Judging his career and talent by one song and its remix is foolish. I didn't know that people still talk without facts in 2012. Grab his two albums and try to say this same thing. "Ukwu", "Kwarikwa", "Adamma", "Ogbualam", "Rigi Rigi", "Odiro Easy", those are all remakes too abi? Make we hear word abeg.

bittyend: Any ibotic musician as big as Wale in America? grin grin grin

Wale is a small boy in the US, in case you didn't know. Apart from his own sample/remake (you frown on those), what else is he known for?

bittyend: How can you even compare fake durag, usher wannabe twins with Dbanj and wizkid

Their ibotic accent piss me phuck off.. Tell them twins to start acting their age...

Wizkid is doing sold out big arena concerts in the UK, by himself... P-square ain't even on that level yet...

I'm laughing. D'banj refuses to do any tour in the United States. He did one show in NY and went back and people said he conquered the US. How? He can't do any show here and he won't do any show here because he's stubborn. Charging outlandish amounts for a country where he's UNKNOWN. The amount he asked was more than what P-Square and 2 Face Idibia received. It's only amongst Nigerians that D'banj can have a big show in New York and Texas if he ever decides to do one there. If he was to do a normal US tour, including California, Minnesota, Chicago, Atlanta, he won't fill a hall that can contain up to 5,000 people. D'banj has songs known by Africans, yes, but his music hasn't reached international level with the exception of "Oliver Twist", and that's his fault for not traveling extensively the way other musicians have. D'banj is Lagos and UK. Someone like him has to do what he's doing, because his music won't sell on its own. Go to Uganda or SA. They can sing all of P-Square's hits and more, they can sing all of Flavour's hits and more, but for D'banj, it's only "Oliver Twist" and "Fall in Love". The "Endowed Remix" was overhyped and not as successful as the rest of us had wished. It doesn't have up to 1 million views on youtube over one year later (I don't think it's crossed 500,000 yet either), but Bracket's video for "Girl" has already surpassed 1.5 million views within three months of its release. If you can find a country where people are singing "Scapegoat", "Olorun Maje" or "Igwe", let me know. That's me looking at it from a critical, not hater, point of view.

Wizkid had his own saga last year. He was supposed to do an EME Tour with Banky and Skales. Promoters were selling tickets only to find out that Wizkid was denied visa, so the tour was cancelled. Nearly one year later and I am still awaiting a refund. So he, too, is yet to make an impact in the US.

The "igbotic Usher wannabe twins" toured the US in 2010 and it was a very successful tour. Sold out halls with all Africans present. I saw them in Oakland and trust me when I say that no one can compare to P-Square on a performance level. P-Square has conquered Africa, conquered UK with their own sellout shows, and took the challenge of a US tour and succeeded. With that said, I don't see the comparison between P-Square to Wizkid and D'banj.

And since it matters to una so much, Don Jazzy is Igbo. D'Prince has said he's Igbo several times on Twitter, so I'm assuming Don Jazzy is Igbo too. If my logic is off, please tell me.

I am 100% Igbo and I am congratulating D'banj on his success. I appreciate how Don Jazzy wants to remain in Nigeria and have his work spread worldwide whereas D'banj wants to go worldwide and invite them to discover Nigeria. They both have the same goal but are taking different approaches. Both must be appreciated. Up Naija!
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Afam4eva(m): 6:41pm On May 20, 2012
ogugua88:

You're so biased that it's disgusting. It's your type that will say "Osondi Owendi" and "Mama", but those were both MC Loph's songs. Maybe "Bottom Belle" but that's Omawumi init? All your left with is "Ashawo". Judging his career and talent by one song and its remix is foolish. I didn't know that people still talk without facts in 2012. Grab his two albums and try to say this same thing. "Ukwu", "Kwarikwa", "Adamma", "Ogbualam", "Rigi Rigi", "Odiro Easy", those are all remakes too abi? Make we hear word abeg.

Wale is a small boy in the US, in case you didn't know. Apart from his own sample/remake (you frown on those), what else is he known for?

I'm laughing. D'banj refuses to do any tour in the United States. He did one show in NY and went back and people said he conquered the US. How? He can't do any show here and he won't do any show here because he's stubborn. Charging outlandish amounts for a country where he's UNKNOWN. The amount he asked was more than what P-Square and 2 Face Idibia received. It's only amongst Nigerians that D'banj can have a big show in New York and Texas if he ever decides to do one there. If he was to do a normal US tour, including California, Minnesota, Chicago, Atlanta, he won't fill a hall that can contain up to 5,000 people. D'banj has songs known by Africans, yes, but his music hasn't reached international level with the exception of "Oliver Twist", and that's his fault for not traveling extensively the way other musicians have. D'banj is Lagos and UK. Someone like him has to do what he's doing, because his music won't sell on its own. Go to Uganda or SA. They can sing all of P-Square's hits and more, they can sing all of Flavour's hits and more, but for D'banj, it's only "Oliver Twist" and "Fall in Love". The "Endowed Remix" was overhyped and not as successful as the rest of us had wished. It doesn't have up to 1 million views on youtube over one year later (I don't think it's crossed 500,000 yet either), but Bracket's video for "Girl" has already surpassed 1.5 million views within three months of its release. If you can find a country where people are singing "Scapegoat", "Olorun Maje" or "Igwe", let me know. That's me looking at it from a critical, not hater, point of view.

Wizkid had his own saga last year. He was supposed to do an EME Tour with Banky and Skales. Promoters were selling tickets only to find out that Wizkid was denied visa, so the tour was cancelled. Nearly one year later and I am still awaiting a refund. So he, too, is yet to make an impact in the US.

The "igbotic Usher wannabe twins" toured the US in 2010 and it was a very successful tour. Sold out halls with all Africans present. I saw them in Oakland and trust me when I say that no one can compare to P-Square on a performance level. P-Square has conquered Africa, conquered UK with their own sellout shows, and took the challenge of a US tour and succeeded. With that said, I don't see the comparison between P-Square to Wizkid and D'banj.

And since it matters to una so much, Don Jazzy is Igbo. D'Prince has said he's Igbo several times on Twitter, so I'm assuming Don Jazzy is Igbo too. If my logic is off, please tell me.

I am 100% Igbo and I am congratulating D'banj on his success. I appreciate how Don Jazzy wants to remain in Nigeria and have his work spread worldwide whereas D'banj wants to go worldwide and invite them to discover Nigeria. They both have the same goal but are taking different approaches. Both must be appreciated. Up Naija!
Nne, you're on point. Chukwu gozie gi.

1 Like

Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by dont8(m): 6:49pm On May 20, 2012
Dotman01: whats difficult to understand in d news na? Em & dre signed 50cent, fifty signs lloyd banks, tony yayo and d rest so its nt a new thing. Quit hating and grow up.
Word! Dre sign Em' and 50Cent was signed by Em'. Even Jay sign his greatest rival on planet earth, Nas and we should not forget, Davido is a producer and D'banj needs one at the moment.
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Paentera(m): 8:14pm On May 20, 2012
For haterz out there, D'Banj floated Def Jam Africa label as President n Davido is the first signed artiste.
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by alarm4: 8:40pm On May 20, 2012
WHICH KIND TIN BE THIS HW COME KANYE WEST SIGN DBANJ...THEN DBANJ SIGN DAVIDO...SO WHO DAVIDO WILL NW SIGN IN.... THIS TIME MAYBE NA EKWE OR CONGA OR SHINA RAMBO...........I GUESS DBANJ WAS TRYING TO REPLACE THE LYRIC OF WANDE COAL TO DAVIDO IN HIS LABEL TO BOOLY MAVIN..
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by clemmonce(m): 10:13pm On May 20, 2012
most people here are not ashame of themselves. some people wilpost a comment that is kind of tribalistic must u now reply the post. wat is tribalism i dnt knw.
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by amosy007: 11:02pm On May 20, 2012
bittyend: Any ibotic musician as big as Wale in America? grin grin grin
u forgot taio cruz

1 Like

Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by amosy007: 11:13pm On May 20, 2012
bashr8: no igbo producers and record owners sign nigerians from every group while yoruba ones signe only yorubas even if they sing rubbish , if that is not tribalism then tell me what is .that not the issue now anyway just you guys should stop turning don jazzy and dbanj saga into igbo yoruba bashing its annoying.

choi... Fvcking tribalist... Keke &d1... Signed 2face, eedris abdukareem, marvelous benji etc... They are non yorubas.... How many yoruba did obaino sign?

1 Like

Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by FYsol: 1:11am On May 21, 2012
y r u guys giving urselfs headache over pple weh no sabi una! Bleep d'banj, Bleep kanye west, Bleep don jazzy, Bleep davido. i beg i need an android supplier..
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by jeffry401: 8:19am On May 21, 2012
i fink it's cool.......>>>> smiley
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by londoner: 9:53am On May 21, 2012
Nigerian artists are adding more grease to their elbows and putting Nigerian and African music on the international map....where it belongs!

Its a win/win situation..................
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by davades(m): 10:32am On May 21, 2012
[quote author=bittyend]Why all the hate? Someone is trying to break the ceiling, and make afrobeats bigger, yet you guys want to hate him because he isn't from your tribe.. Must everything be about tribe?? If Don Jazzy made D'banj, let him make another D'banj, simples... Only time will tell if he can make another one because people love D'banj not only because of his music, but because of who D'banj is..

To be honest, if it's a tribal thing, you guys should leave it.. Yoruba people make the best music in Nigeria, period... All the musicians who have brought fame to Nigeria are mostly Yoruba, you just can't hate on what's God given...

Roll Call:

- Fela Kuti.
- Femi Kuti.
- Sade Adu.
- Seal.
- Wale.
- Majek Fashek.
- King Sunny Ade.
- Lighthouse family..

Dnt forget to mention Taio Cruz,Nas,Chamilionaire etc enemies GƠ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ swim inside kainji Dam cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by megxo(m): 12:11pm On May 21, 2012
Yorisb:

wiz kid go come sign lil jojo........... cheesy[quote author=Yorisb]

1 Like

Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by davades(m): 12:12pm On May 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Where did you guy get that information that Donjazzy is from isoko? he's Igbo jare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Jazzy

Confused igbo(weed) ppl...u can never see someone frm Ijebu or oyo claiming they non yorubas
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by megxo(m): 12:29pm On May 21, 2012
[quote author=davades][/quote]chidi bangs, chamillionaire, e.t.c e.t.c
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Afam4eva(m): 1:48pm On May 21, 2012
davades:

Confused igbo(weed) ppl...u can never see someone frm Ijebu or oyo claiming they non yorubas
So, what's your miserable point exactly?
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by davades(m): 8:01pm On May 21, 2012
afam4eva:
So, what's your miserable point exactly?

Ode...use ur brain tongue
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Nobody: 11:27pm On May 21, 2012
Does it matter? At the end of the day, Isoko, Igbo, Ijaw, Yoruba, Tiv, whatever else una wan call them, they're Nigerian. Support your own for Christ's sake. It's 2012.
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by emmabowin(m): 12:07am On May 22, 2012
Am not in full support of this davido signing by d'banj.
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 25, 2012
bittyend:

Lol at Tinie breaking charts in America whilst performing to a crowd of 500people... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tinie is nowhere near big in America, despite how they pushed him...

Dizzy on the other hand is the biggest urban artist to come out of the UK, even Tinie still wants to be like badman Dizzy.. Don't even go there with me...

Ibos derailed the thread with their yoruba hating tendencies, I'm sure if D'banj was ibo; he won't get all the hate he's getting... You guys su/ck, period.

Actually he is right. As an AMERICAN, we know know more about Tinie Tempah than D'banj or Dizzy.
Tribe has nothing to do with whether or not someone is "big". Wale might be Yoruba but he emulates Black American culture hailing from D.C. a "strong hold" of Africans in the south east but barely talks about himself as Nigerian much less Yoruba. So your trying to use "tribe" to determine popularity is lame, wack and weak.
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by babyboy3(m): 7:37pm On May 25, 2012
Hakeem Seriki aka chamillionaire

Nasir Bin Olu Dara Jones aka NAS
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by Somymaurice(m): 2:03pm On May 26, 2012
Yorisb:

.lololo.ni be smal tin o
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by lazyklax04(m): 11:58am On May 27, 2012
Yorisb:

na Wa oooo!!!! Wo wizkid go com sign nA?? Sir shina peters??
Re: D’banj Signs Davido To His New Record Label by chronique(m): 6:16am On May 28, 2012
What's the problem with d'banj signing davido? He's a businessman and has made his choice as to who he wants to do business with;how does that affect you guys? Why all the criticism? I've been reading all the replies & to a large extent,I'm shocked at some people's posts. Some people just hide behind computers or mobile phones & spew garbage out of their mouth like they have their brains under their slippers. Whether or not you like/approve it(the signing),it doesn't change a thing, so quit hating.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

THROWBACK: The Shifi, Tunde, Yemi And Lanre(STYL-plus) Musical Group / Nigeria: Top 14 Songs Of 2014 / Download Album: Naira Marley - Lord Of Lamba [ep] Lol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.