Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable (38493 Views)

Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Amaechi's "Parallel Government" Statement Is Treasonable, Says Doyin Okupe / Enugu Is One Of The Poorest States In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 7:15pm On May 21, 2012
egift, the liar. embarassed
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Rnbstar: 8:09pm On May 21, 2012
Beaf: Nigerias problems started in 1914. Anyone who disagrees is a liar.
It is best for us to prepare for a truthful SNC in whigh we wouldn't lie to ourselves about cosmetic unity. Either we forge something concrete and become a real nation or we part in peace. Period. cool
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 9:09pm On May 21, 2012
Beaf: egift, the liar. embarassed

Uncooked kpomo, the sycophant - keep it up. Your monthly alawi shall never quench.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/680848_Beaf_jpg9fb9b67f19aae22c167e61f48138c298
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 9:10pm On May 21, 2012
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Eagle75: 9:17pm On May 21, 2012
[quote author=egift]

So, here are the exact quote, tell us it does not attribute the present challenges of the nation to the amalgamation of North and South?

[b]According to the President, something must have gone wrong along the line from 1914 when the Southern and Northern Protectorate amalgamated till date, stressing that the problem of Nigeria did not start today.

“When the Priest was speaking, I started asking myself – what must have gone wrong from 1914 that the Northern and Southern parts of the country were amalgamated? They were under colonial rule since 1960 when we started governing ourselves. From 1960 to date it is about 50 years.
[/b]

GEJ emphasized here on "along the line " something must have gone wrong - in other words something went from good to bad between 1914 to 2012 of which 1960 he mentioned here is still not out of place. There was no where he said the amalgamation was the problem the way you are suggesting, meanwhl what of the coloured part below;

Nigeria’s problem didn’t start from my regime – Jonathan

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, declared that the numerous problems confronting the nation did not start from his regime which commenced only two years ago.

He asked Nigerians to reassess their journey from independence till date with a view to ascertaining the areas where the nation had gone wrong in order to make amends.

According to the President, something must have gone wrong along the line from 1914 when the Southern and Northern Protectorate amalgamated till date, stressing that the problem of Nigeria did not start today.

“When the Priest was speaking, I started asking myself – what must have gone wrong from 1914 that the Northern and Southern parts of the country were amalgamated? They were under colonial rule since 1960 when we started governing ourselves. From 1960 to date it is about 50 years.

“I don’t think it is the two years that President Jonathan assumed the office that these problems came up. So something must have gone wrong and all of us citizens of this country must reassess ourselves, our journey from independence till date, the areas that we have not done too well in order to effect a change.

“Let us not play politics with the development of the country. Let us work hard to change our country for the better. We have no other country to go to. There was a time we had a television play where Andrew wanted to check out of the country; we are not checking out of this country, we will all stay, we will all work together, do our best to change the country for our children.”
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by OneNaira6: 9:18pm On May 21, 2012
What treason? Jeez you people are never happy with GEJ.

He spoke the mind of what every Nigerian, except maybe few, are thinking. I do not see how he's advocating for separation but rather discussing the fact something must have went wrong during 1914 amalgamation judging from the history and recent events of this nation.

Una are never satisfied with this man no matter what way he turns: if he mentions that everything is fine and dandy, una go complain; if he speaks the truth, una are still complaining. Dang
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 9:34pm On May 21, 2012
One_Naira: What treason? Jeez you people are never happy with GEJ.

He spoke the mind of what every Nigerian, except maybe few, are thinking. I do not see how he's advocating for separation but rather discussing the fact something must have went wrong during 1914 amalgamation judging from the history and recent events of this nation.

Una are never satisfied with this man no matter what way he turns: if he mentions that everything is fine and dandy, una go complain; if he speaks the truth, una are still complaining. Dang

I will over-look your rant and comment only on the highlighted:
- He did not speak the mind of any "Nigerian". Rather, he spoke the mind of the Arewas, Oduduwas, Biafrans, Ijaws and any other set of Nigerians wishing to divide Nigeria and have a nation of there own. In the present Nigerian law, his statement (being the President) amounts to treason.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 9:38pm On May 21, 2012
Eagle75: GEJ emphasized here on "along the line " something must have gone wrong - in other words something went from good to bad between 1914 to 2012 of which 1960 he mentioned here is still not out of place. There was no where he said the amalgamation was the problem the way you are suggesting, meanwhl what of the coloured part below;

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, declared that the numerous problems confronting the nation did not start from his regime which commenced only two years ago.

He asked Nigerians to reassess their journey from independence till date with a view to ascertaining the areas where the nation had gone wrong in order to make amends.

According to the President, something must have gone wrong along the line from 1914 when the Southern and Northern Protectorate amalgamated till date, stressing that the problem of Nigeria did not start today.

“I don’t think it is the two years that President Jonathan assumed the office that these problems came up. So something must have gone wrong and all of us citizens of this country must reassess ourselves, our journey from independence till date, the areas that we have not done too well in order to effect a change.

“Let us not play politics with the development of the country. Let us work hard to change our country for the better. We have no other country to go to. There was a time we had a television play where Andrew wanted to check out of the country; we are not checking out of this country, we will all stay, we will all work together, do our best to change the country for our children.”

One thing I am sure of, is that the average Nigerian likes to form about wanting the truth. . . knowing the truth. However, when truth is served up, people look for any means necessary to get around having to deal with the truth, AS IS. Just as you have done above, many before you have done same but have not been able to change the facts of what was said.

a) The Nigeria that Jonathan swore an Oath to, was not the country as it was in 1914. Neither was it as it was in 1940, or even 1950. The country he swore an Oath to Govern is Nigeria as it was accepted and sanctioned in 1960.

b) Before 1960, Nigeria was in the hands of the colonial masters. A president does not need to concern himself with that which happened before the entity, and the constitution he swore an oath to, came into being. He only needs to focus on upholding the constitution and we can only trace the current one back to about 1960's.

c) It is denial to claim that mentioning 1914 can somehow be done without pointing out what happened that year in our history. The one major thing that happened in January of 1914 was the Amalgamation of the north and south to create a Nigerian Nation. That project did not happen in the hands of Nigerians, and neither did much of what transpired the next 50 years after. So unless you are willing to state here that the president was trying to blame the colonials for Nigeria's problems, I say you stop lying to yourself.

The good that has come out of this is that we have seen some boldly come in to accept that of a truth, the President's statement referred to a possible problem in the Amalgamation itself, even though they claim to agree with him. But those who continue INJECT their own personal twist to the words said, ask why do you need to lie to yourself in this.

Admission will not get Jonathan impeached. The chances are 100% nothing will come of this but as long as people keep living in denial, the problems which you all claim to understand so well, are likely to continue as they have for decades.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by OneNaira6: 9:50pm On May 21, 2012
egift:

I will over-look your rant and comment only on the highlighted:
- He did not speak the mind of any "Nigerian". Rather, he spoke the mind of the Arewas, Oduduwas, Biafrans, Ijaws and any other set of Nigerians wishing to divide Nigeria and have a nation of there own. In the present Nigerian law, his statement (being the President) amounts to treason.

Keep living in your pipe dream and contradicting yourself. I won't take a jab at your english comprehension as so many others have done but rather I'll ask two simple question

1.) The highlighted of your words in why nation are these people living according the UN and the map of Africa? South Africans or Nigerians? therefore in what way are you disputing my words?
2.) In what way did GEJ spoke for division and what wrong he did in the article?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Eagle75: 9:52pm On May 21, 2012
maasoap: A sitting president is[b] calling for division of the country you swore to protect.[/b] It is simply treasonable offence. Even if almagamation is our problem, just fix it; you don't need to tell us. If I proffer solution, if you bring suggestion, power and authority to decide still resides with him. He couldn't probe oil subsidy cabals but when House did, he simply put it under carpet. This is the first Nigeria president to be found of making unguided utterances, numerous excuse, blaming others for his failure. Then you need to ask, do this man really deserve free food, free fuel, free shelter, free fleet of armoured cars, free fleet of jets, state sponsored education of children, jumbo pay, mouth watering gratuity, life pension, etc? So much benefits for doing so little. Abacha was more economically sound and capable than this zoo keeper.

A sitting president is for division by saying the highlighted parts below

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by OneNaira6: 9:52pm On May 21, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

See this fowl who continues to refer to Nigeria as a "cess pit" and refers to himself as 'British'.
Smh.

I am not angry at you. I am just not playing your game.
Since you wanted to make it personal...

You are part Igbo but are on NL pretending like Igbos are the worst thing to happen to the nation.
That is what I am against. HYPOCRISY. Not against Yoruba (as Yoruba ppl have not done a damn thing to me) nor Igbos.

Why can't you keep it real and say "I am a product of Yoruba AND Igbo" if all Igbos and Yoruba hated each other, I WOULD NOT BE HERE"? You say I am picking sides, but unless you are speaking for the betterment of ALL Nigerians, regardless of tribe then I don't want to indulge in your conversations.

HE'S NOT HALF IGBO.
He's as Igbo as I am half latino or full latino.

Just wanted to let you know that.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 9:53pm On May 21, 2012
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 10:52pm On May 21, 2012
One_Naira:
Keep living in your pipe dream and contradicting yourself. I won't take a jab at your english comprehension as so many others have done but rather I'll ask two simple question

Both yourself and others who hoped that by insulting me, is a smart way to hide the impact of a callous utterance by Jonathan, usually fall short to highlight such grammatical discrepancies in my expression. Pathetic, isn't it?

1.) The highlighted of your words in why nation are these people living according the UN and the map of Africa? South Africans or Nigerians? therefore in what way are you disputing my words?
2.) In what way did GEJ spoke for division and what wrong he did in the article?

1. Either you did not read what I wrote or chose to ignore it and ask irrelevantly. For the benefit of doubt, read that comment again and consider the additional points below:
egift:
- I highlighted the first "Nigerian" meaning the ideal Nigerian
- I also stated that those Jonathan spoke their mind are those that "wish to divide Nigeria". (See the 2nd highlighted text). So is President Jonathan in that category? If not, he should not make such statement.

2. On your second question. Yes, the President said what amount to treason by suggesting that today's challenges might have arose due to the Amalgamation of Northern and Southern Nigeria in 1914. Below are his exact words...emphasis on the bold...

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 10:53pm On May 21, 2012
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by OneNaira6: 11:13pm On May 21, 2012
egift:

Both yourself and others who hoped that by insulting me, is a smart way to hide the impact of a callous utterance by Jonathan, usually fall short to highlight such grammatical discrepancies in my expression. Pathetic, isn't it?

1. Either you did not read what I wrote or chose to ignore it and ask irrelevantly. For the benefit of doubt, read that comment again and consider the additional points below:

- I highlighted the first "Nigerian" meaning the ideal Nigerian
- I also stated that those Jonathan spoke their mind are those that "wish to divide Nigeria". (See the 2nd highlighted text). So is President Jonathan in that category? If not, he should not make such statement.

2. On your second question. Yes, the President said what amount to treason by suggesting that today's challenges might have arose due to the Amalgamation of Northern and Southern Nigeria in 1914. Below are his exact words...emphasis on the bold...

LMFAO.

1.) The so called "ideal Nigerians" are limited. If a referendum is conducted in nigeria, the nation would cease to exist today, a fact well known fact therefore yes he spoke the mind of Nigerians. Anyway I'm okay with letting dreamers dream so dreamer believe your one nigerian is popular in the mind of Nigerians. Excluding North and probably West, everybody wants out.

2.) Reread your own post.
something must have gone wrong along the line from 1914 when the Southern and Northern Protectorate amalgamated till date, stressing that the problem of Nigeria did not start today.

Dude are you not seeing the along the line quote?

On the second quote: yes in a way you can deduct to your reasoning based on the beginning portion of the quote but reading the second part should indicate to you, a typo either by the author of the article or a mis-word on GEJ part.

In actuality: GEJ words are implicating something must have gone wrong in 1914. That something could mean anything. You are just adding your own meaning of "that something" and trying to pass it off as GEJ meaning.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 11:19pm On May 21, 2012
@Eagle75
- He was at a burial ceremony when he was making that speech.
- Jonathan is against Sovereign National Conference where such utterance could have meaning (still should not come from him).
- What are Nigerians masses going to amend in the nations history that is loaded with so many sad stories?
He said: “Sometimes when critics are lambasting the government, my self as President and the governors sometimes begin to think that yes it is starting today. But what we promise Nigerians is that this country must change.
- So, its a year since he handed power to himself, what change has he brought? How 2yrs since he took over from Yar'Adua? Or the last 13 years straight he have been in Government Houses (as Deputy Governor, Governor, Vice President, Acting President and currently as President)? What are the changes he have implemented?

Is it too much to ask Presido to concentrate on present challenges? Instead he wants to go as far back as 1914 and gather all the problems before he will start.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 12:06am On May 22, 2012
One_Naira: In actuality: GEJ words are implicating something must have gone wrong in 1914. That something could mean anything. You are just adding your own meaning of "that something" and trying to pass it off as GEJ meaning.

To understand what could have been wrong, you need to find out the things that happened. That way you may find what went wrong. Note Jonathan started from 1914 on purpose.

What happened between 1914 - 1960? Three notable things happened:
1. The British merged the Northern and Southern Protectorates together to form Nigeria.
2. Constitutions: We had one in 1913 (came into effect on 1 January 1914), The Richard's Constitution (1946), Macpherson Constitution (1951) and Lyttelton Constitution (1954).
3. Our founding fathers, after years of struggle got the Independence.

So (according to Jonathan), what "could" have gone wrong? lets start from behind:
3. With all my heart I believe President Jonathan will have nothing against the "Labour of our Past Heroes".
2. As Kobojunkie rightly stated, these constitutions were replaced when we got Independence.
1. The Amalgamation is the only one that remain. So questioning what went wrong in that period that is causing or contributing to present challenges = questioning what was wrong with the Amalgamation. Gaddafi of Libya did Nigeria recalled our Ambassador immediately, its a serious offense.

Nigeria Recalls Ambassador From Libya Over Gaddafi’s Statement
The Nigerian ambassador to Libya, Alhaji Aliu Mohammed, has been recalled over the provoking statement of Libyan president Muamar Gaddafi. This is made known from a statement released from the ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday.

Gaddafi had on Tuesday called for the balkanisation of Nigeria against the backdrop of violence that rocked Jos, Plateau State, last week.

The Libyan leader reportedly said one of the best ways of resolving the incessant ethno-religious crises in Nigeria is for the country to go the way of Pakistan and India that separated and resolved their religious crises once and for all.

Gaddafi’s inciting statement has been condemned by many including Nigerian Senate President David Mark, who called the former AU chairman a mad man for advocating splitting of Nigeria
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Eagle75: 12:25am On May 22, 2012
@egift
I think it should be What happened between 1914 - 2012 GEJ mentioned "till date," and u & i knw a lot had happened b/w 1960 - 2012. So may be he is trying to say what ever went wrong at the amalgamation period showed its ugly head the moment we started ruling ourselves till date.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 12:33am On May 22, 2012
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 12:36am On May 22, 2012
Eagle75: @egift
I think it should be What happened between 1914 - 2012 GEJ mentioned "till date," and u & i knw a lot had happened b/w 1960 - 2012. So may be he is trying to say what ever went wrong at the amalgamation period showed its ugly head the moment we started ruling ourselves till date.

Why not stop THINKING WHAT IT SHOULD BE and allow yourself to accept what it is?

Nigeria that you know today, and the one that Jonathan Goodluck swore an oath to uphold was only constructed in 1960. Beyond that point, what existed was a Nigeria amalgamated in 1914, and run by the colonial masters. How can anything go wrong before 1960, when it all started in 1960, excepting for the amalgamation, which is about the only thing we still have to date, from the era before 1960? undecided undecided undecided
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by princeso2020(m): 9:32am On May 22, 2012
I do not see anything wrong with his speech. This is not a trend to follow
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by fortyfeet(m): 9:01pm On May 22, 2012
GEJ is not asking for what went wrong that lead to amalgamation, he said something must have gone wrong from amalgamation till date. meaning the problem may have been from the time of amalgamation, so we should look beyond him in our search for solution. those were the words of a wiseman. GEJ is still the answer to our cry if we will allow him just six months without detonation of bomb. thumb up GEJ.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by fortyfeet(m): 9:31pm On May 22, 2012
@egift you certainly need to take a break from the internet and go back to school, jokes apart.
@One_Naira you equally need to do the same because i see you struggle very hard to explain a very simple expression.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 10:34pm On May 22, 2012
fortyfeet: GEJ is not asking for what went wrong that lead to amalgamation, he said something must have gone wrong from amalgamation till date. meaning the problem may have been from the time of amalgamation, so we should look beyond him in our search for solution. those were the words of a wiseman. GEJ is still the answer to our cry if we will allow him just six months without detonation of bomb. thumb up GEJ.

Its was nice recommending additional education for everyone but what of yourself. Just read the bold above...is it Nigerian masses that are massacred everyday that will stop criminals/terrorists? Or you want to claim not to know that Boko Haram is a tool of fear of politicians that are in government? Jonathan said these people are working with him in government. He also said he know them. Azazi said it is the internal conflicts of the PDP that formed Boko Haram. The PDP national chairman of PDP recently said Boko Harams are fighting for Justice.

If Jonathan need 6 months as you said to fix Nigeria, what have he done in the last 2 years as President? How about his quest for additional 4 years when he is still having 3years. I hope you will also not claim ignorance that the first bill Jonathan sent to National Assembly when he was sworn in was how to extend his tenure to 6years instead of the normal 4years.

Bros (as hard as it may sound - in light of the above), President Jonathan is a very greedy man. A very, very Greedy fellow!
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 10:36pm On May 22, 2012
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Tonitelli: 8:44am On May 24, 2012
Beaf iscariot,the betrayer. sad
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by DaBullIT(m): 2:27pm On May 28, 2012
true, the problems did not start in this muufucka's regime but why are all the problems spinning around during his regime ? btw the speech was and its still treasonable the worst of presidos so far in this country did not record so much unrest and violence
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by e1986(m): 10:47am On Dec 18, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]I agree with GEJ on this one. All this treason stuff won't allow us to move forward. Things are not working and we all have to admit that. Nobody should be forced to be a Nigerian. Any tribe that is not satisfied with being Nigeria should be free to go. Let the SNC start now

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

IGP Deploys Intervention Squads To Lagos And Ogun. / Buhari To Speak Wednesday Over His Qualification For Election / Buhari Will Never Be Nigeria President - Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.