Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable (38495 Views)

Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Amaechi's "Parallel Government" Statement Is Treasonable, Says Doyin Okupe / Enugu Is One Of The Poorest States In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 7:16pm On May 19, 2012
Mr. President GEJ Speech is a Treasonable offense because not only is it insulting to the dignity of of the Nigerian State, it as well undermines the sovereignty of the nation. How can a President of our great country Nigeria say that the Amalgamation of Nigeria in 1914 was a mistake.

Do you agree?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 7:18pm On May 19, 2012
Here is the report from Vanguard:

Nigeria’s problem didn’t start from my regime – Jonathan

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, declared that the numerous problems confronting the nation did not start from his regime which commenced only two years ago.

He asked Nigerians to reassess their journey from independence till date with a view to ascertaining the areas where the nation had gone wrong in order to make amends.

According to the President, something must have gone wrong along the line from 1914 when the Southern and Northern Protectorate amalgamated till date, stressing that the problem of Nigeria did not start today.

When the Priest was speaking, I started asking myself – what must have gone wrong from 1914 that the Northern and Southern parts of the country were amalgamated? They were under colonial rule since 1960 when we started governing ourselves. From 1960 to date it is about 50 years.

“I don’t think it is the two years that President Jonathan assumed the office that these problems came up. So something must have gone wrong and all of us citizens of this country must reassess ourselves, our journey from independence till date, the areas that we have not done too well in order to effect a change.

“Let us not play politics with the development of the country. Let us work hard to change our country for the better. We have no other country to go to. There was a time we had a television play where Andrew wanted to check out of the country; we are not checking out of this country, we will all stay, we will all work together, do our best to change the country for our children.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/nigerias-problem-didnt-start-from-my-regime-jonathan/

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Afam4eva(m): 7:29pm On May 19, 2012
He's right though. You don't mix oil and water and expect it to gel.

19 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On May 19, 2012
I agree with the @OP here. This is unbecoming of a President.

What happened in 1914 happened long before he took office, and He swore an oath to Nigeria as was created in 1914, and has been since long after it was created. I am not certain why he feels now that the Nation needs to know that he does not believe in the country he swore an oath to uphold. Suggesting that the country itself is a problem is unbecoming.

Personal opinions individuals may have aside, this is unbecoming of the president of a republic.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 7:35pm On May 19, 2012
Nigerias problems started in 1914. Anyone who disagrees is a liar.
It is best for us to prepare for a truthful SNC in whigh we wouldn't lie to ourselves about cosmetic unity. Either we forge something concrete and become a real nation or we part in peace. Period. cool

34 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by FrankC3: 7:40pm On May 19, 2012
I can't seem to see where the president opined what the OP is crediting to him. Please, kindly bolden the part that declared the amalgamation a mistake to make it easier for some of us to identify at a glance.

8 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 7:48pm On May 19, 2012
Frank-C:
I can't seem to see where the president opined what the OP is crediting to him. Please, kindly bolden the part that declared the amalgamation a mistake to make it easier for some of us to identify at a glance.

See the following...

According to the President, something must have gone wrong along the line from 1914 when the Southern and Northern Protectorate amalgamated till date, stressing that the problem of Nigeria did not start today.

“When the Priest was speaking, I started asking myself – what must have gone wrong from 1914 that the Northern and Southern parts of the country were amalgamated? They were under colonial rule since 1960 when we started governing ourselves. From 1960 to date it is about 50 years.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by saintneo(m): 7:48pm On May 19, 2012
egift: Mr. President GEJ Speech is a Treasonable offense because not only is it insulting to the dignity of of the Nigerian State, it as well undermines the sovereignty of the nation. How can a President of our great country Nigeria say that the Amalgamation of Nigeria in 1914 was a mistake.

Do you agree?

egift: Here is the report from Vanguard:

Nigeria’s problem didn’t start from my regime – Jonathan

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, declared that the numerous problems confronting the nation did not start from his regime which commenced only two years ago.

He asked Nigerians to reassess their journey from independence till date with a view to ascertaining the areas where the nation had gone wrong in order to make amends.

He said: “Sometimes when critics are lambasting the government, my self as President and the governors sometimes begin to think that yes it is starting today. But what we promise Nigerians is that this country must change.

“When the Priest was speaking, I started asking myself – what must have gone wrong from 1914 that the Northern and Southern parts of the country were amalgamated? They were under colonial rule since 1960 when we started governing ourselves. From 1960 to date it is about 50 years.

“I don’t think it is the two years that President Jonathan assumed the office that these problems came up. So something must have gone wrong and all of us citizens of this country must reassess ourselves, our journey from independence till date, the areas that we have not done too well in order to effect a change.

“Let us not play politics with the development of the country. Let us work hard to change our country for the better. We have no other country to go to. There was a time we had a television play where Andrew wanted to check out of the country; we are not checking out of this country, we will all stay, we will all work together, do our best to change the country for our children.”

We need to be careful in deductive judgement. First, OP, GEJ never said the Amalgamation is a mistake. Instead, he said something must have wrong somewhere since the Amalgamation. Furthermore, he insists that we should look for solutions.

10 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 7:59pm On May 19, 2012
saintneo:

We need to be careful in deductive judgement. First, OP, GEJ never said the Amalgamation is a mistake. Instead, he said something must have wrong somewhere since the Amalgamation. Furthermore, he insists that we should look for solutions.

If he believes something is wrong with the Amalgamation = He believe the Amalgamation should not have taken place.

Jonathan's comment is not only out of line (because he is the President), but undermines the Statehood and sovereignty of Nigeria as an independent Nation. Do you know if his aide did say this, such an individual will be sacked immediately or tender a strong worded apology to the nation at least. How about if another President in some country say so?

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 8:03pm On May 19, 2012
saintneo:

The OP is a known liar and dramatist.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by wesley80(m): 8:06pm On May 19, 2012
@OP, which reader did you use in primary school? Its obvious the one you used never had any provision for "comprehension" lessons, you deserve a refund of any fee you paid I tell u!

16 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Odunnu: 8:08pm On May 19, 2012
English comprehension must be difficult for Mr egift.

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On May 19, 2012
saintneo:

Let us also be careful not to pull statements apart in such a way that we end up with claims that are different in meaning from what was actually said.

He said: “Sometimes when critics are lambasting the government, my self as President and the governors sometimes begin to think that yes it is starting today. But what we promise Nigerians is that this country must change.

“When the Priest was speaking, I started asking myself – [size=14pt]what must have gone wrong from 1914 that the Northern and Southern parts of the country were amalgamated? [/size]They were under colonial rule since 1960 when we started governing ourselves. From 1960 to date it is about 50 years.

The line in bold suggests he believes the problem started in 1914, right at the time of the amalgamation, not after it.

The president mentioning the amalgamation and suggesting that something went wrong right from the get go is not supposed to happen, especially when you consider the level of division in the country today. We dont need more divisive talk, especially from the nations number one.

Also, He is making this statement at a funeral wake, not some political get together, and that causes me to wonder why.

Yes, this is Nigeria where most anything goes, I accept that but the statement is unbecoming of a president. His statements should instead be of those that cause people to see hope in Nigeria, even as it was created. Not statements that suggest that there was a problem in the country's creation/since its creation.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 19, 2012
LETS BE FRANK, ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BE ONE COUNTRY WITH TERRORIST NORTH ?

6 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 8:30pm On May 19, 2012
Beaf:

The OP is a known liar and dramatist.

Since you cannot spin this one - then attack the OP, if it does not work, post some funny pics - if it refuse to stick, associate his with you lies - and if that does not work, then call in your other usernames to mess up the place.

Beaf we all know your game from the "Defend the Indefensible 101". But the fact remains Jonathan is very devisive. And as President, his comment here in Enugu amount to a treasonable offense.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 8:34pm On May 19, 2012
Kobojunkie: I agree with the @OP here. This is unbecoming of a President.

What happened in 1914 happened long before he took office, and He swore an oath to Nigeria as was created in 1914, and has been since long after it was created. I am not certain why he feels now that the Nation needs to know that he does not believe in the country he swore an oath to uphold. Suggesting that the country itself is a problem is unbecoming.

Personal opinions individuals may have aside, this is unbecoming of the president of a republic.

You are right Kobo, this utterance also undermines the Oath he swore to uphold as president of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by jmaine: 8:38pm On May 19, 2012
wesley80: @OP, which reader did you use in primary school? Its obvious the one you used never had any provision for "comprehension" lessons, you deserve a refund of any fee you paid I tell u!

Hmmm ! This one enter OP, no be small . . . . Wesley . . .why na . .You wicked ooh! grin

7 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 8:38pm On May 19, 2012
egift:

Since you cannot spin this one - then attack the OP, if it does not work, post some funny pics - if it refuse to stick, associate his with you lies - and if that does not work, then call in your other usernames to mess up the place.

Beaf we all know your game from the "Defend the Indefensible 101". But the fact remains Jonathan is very devisive. And as President, his comment here in Enugu amount to a treasonable offense.

Enough people have accused you. It takes an alarming lack of morality not to apologise.
Enjoy your lies and drama, bro. There are more engaging threads than this.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by werepeLeri: 8:41pm On May 19, 2012
Mischief makers as usual. The President didnt say what the OP is crediting to him. The OP is a known GEJ hater and should be dis regarded on this one. The President did not call it a mistake - he simply said something must have gone wrong.What else will you say tommorow when the guy speaks? you will probably ask for his head in the pot.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by wesley80(m): 8:43pm On May 19, 2012
OK I get it now, this is like that kare jini biri jini BS where some dumbo comes out to interpret what was actually meant right?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On May 19, 2012
WOW . . . the strategy seems to be to attack the messenger to divert attention from the message . . . . good to see that the tactics around here don't change much! grin

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by ektbear: 8:50pm On May 19, 2012
Hmm.

I can see arguments for both sides.

However, the amalgamation in 1914 was a mistake, imo.

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by EzeUche(m): 8:54pm On May 19, 2012
GEJ is right. Anyone who says otherwise is a FOOL.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 9:01pm On May 19, 2012
egift:

Since you cannot spin this one - then attack the OP, if it does not work, post some funny pics - if it refuse to stick, associate him with your lies - and if that does not work, then call in your other usernames to mess up the place.

Beaf we all know your game from the "defend the Indefensible 101". But the fact remains Jonathan is very devisive. And as President, his comment here in Enugu amount to a treasonable offense.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by andresia(m): 9:08pm On May 19, 2012
I also stated the same thing saying this president is the most divisive leader we ve got in this country, only for one good-for-nothing fellow who parades himself as Beaf aka kpomo to call me a parasite angry why do people derive joy when evil, corruption, ineptitude and loose tongue from leaders pervade na wah o 4
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by egift(m): 9:12pm On May 19, 2012
EzeUche: GEJ is right. Anyone who says otherwise is a FOOL.

Mazi Uche, being right or wrong is a debate which everyone is free to adhere to any opinion. But a reckless utterance like this should never proceed or be inferred in any way from the the lips or actions of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Doing so is tantamount to Treason because it insults and destroys the territorial sovereignty of Nigeria. That my brother is not acceptable say our constitution - And if our President and his touts do not see anything wrong in it - it implies that they have no idea what it entails to be a President.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by wesley80(m): 9:19pm On May 19, 2012
andresia: I also stated the same thing saying this president is the most divisive leader we ve got in this country, only for one good-for-nothing fellow who parades himself as Beaf aka kpomo to call me a parasite angry why do people derive joy when evil, corruption, ineptitude and loose tongue from leaders pervade na wah o 4

And I'm sure if they dissect that thing on your neck you call a head, the one leader u believe engenders unity would be a certain Buhari isnt that so?

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 9:26pm On May 19, 2012
What the heck has the words of a un-elected politician, bound only by the same rules that bind the average civilian out there, to do with the utterances of the number one citizen of Nigeria, an ELECTED president who swore an OATH(upholding the amalgamation, creation, and unity of Nigeria as an entity beyond ethnic divisions) to represent Nigeria and all it is, to the world in and outside of Nigeria??

Gosh!! the level of brain fart gets annoying!
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by andresia(m): 9:36pm On May 19, 2012
wesley80:

And I'm sure if they dissect that thing on your neck you call a head, the one leader u believe engenders unity would be a certain Buhari isnt that so?

What a silly ass you have shown yourself to be! We are talkin about the gaffe of someone who is suppose to usher the country into the promise land based on his electoral promises only for you to come up with the name of Buhari. What has Buhari got to do in this thread? how did you pass ur exams in school? What a cretin you are!!
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 9:44pm On May 19, 2012
Its funny how some "born to rule" get upset when you call them parasites.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by wesley80(m): 9:44pm On May 19, 2012
If your head wasn't inflated with Carbon monoxide you wouldve recalled that the words of that same "unelected politician" cost the lives of countless folks that only did what was required of them by their country. But why wld u recall afterall selective amnesia is your attribute. ROFLMAO!

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 9:46pm On May 19, 2012
andresia:

What a silly ass you have shown yourself to be! We are talkin about the gaffe of someone who is suppose to usher the country into the promise land based on his electoral promises only for you to come up with the name of Buhari. What has Buhari got to do in this thread? how did you pass ur exams in school? What a cretin you are!!

Is Buhari not the head of your winshes coven?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Buhari Will Never Be Nigeria President - Fayose / Buhari To Speak Wednesday Over His Qualification For Election / Buhari Takes Over Central Bank Naira Management - Bloomberg.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.