Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,062 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96971 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by ibnhasan: 12:21pm On Aug 29, 2011
@gboyegaD
i'll appreciate every help i can get. Thanks
@sefago: thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by tutuwater(m): 8:14am On Aug 31, 2011
Re: Preparing for GRE by ibnhasan: 10:04am On Aug 31, 2011
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 31, 2011
Hi guys, I just finished from the UNILAG from civil and environmental engineering, and I'm luking to take the gre so I cn study abroad plus I need a scholarship, What reading strategies cn u suplly me as I'm used to readin with pqs, Hw much prep do I need, I intend to start sept
Re: Preparing for GRE by adesina123: 8:11pm On Aug 31, 2011
Dear interested applicants?
Trinity Educational consultancy is registering TOEFL, GRE, GMAT for interested applicants going for master prograduates program in any fields.We also assist interested applicants to scecure high score like 1300 in GRE, 100 in TOEFL, 1400 in GMAT. High score in all these exam can help you to secure partial or full scholarship in any universities in USA, Canada, finland, Germany et.c You can Reach on 07069459469 for further enquiries
order by
TEC
Re: Preparing for GRE by ibnhasan: 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2011
@GboyegaD
Pls I am still expecting your reply.

@12 inches
I think looking up the previous pages will help you
Re: Preparing for GRE by Adbash: 4:07am On Sep 03, 2011
@Atzero, I will be glad if u can send me those GRE material. I'm much interested in them and will really appreciate it. Adbash2008@yahoo.com. I also don't mind receiving any material 4rm others too that can help me with GRE and TOEFL. Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by mayorteeny: 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2011
HI peeps, just thought I should join this thread officially.

Looks like most of the people on this thread are Engineering "nerds", My background is in the medical sciences and I am applying to top B-schools and top phd programs in Health policy this fall.

GRE 1 : Quant 690, verbal 730, AWA 4.0
GRE 2: Quant 770, verbal 730, AWA 4.5

Went to a top Federal university, now guys I need your help as regards the application process, hints, SOPs and all.
Re: Preparing for GRE by mayorteeny: 1:51pm On Sep 06, 2011
Dear interested applicants?
Trinity Educational consultancy is registering TOEFL, GRE, GMAT for interested applicants going for master prograduates program in any fields.We also assist interested applicants to scecure high score like 1300 in GRE, 100 in TOEFL, 1400 in GMAT. High score in all these exam can help you to secure partial or full scholarship in any universities in USA, Canada, finland, Germany et.c You can Reach on 07069459469 for further enquiries
order by
TEC

where have you seen a GMAT score of 1400 in GMAT before? maximum score is 800! you guys must be high on cheap drugs or something, just posting nonsense and think you can bamboozle folks
Re: Preparing for GRE by ChiDalu1: 8:23am On Sep 07, 2011
mayorteeny:

Looks like most of the people on this thread are Engineering "nerds", My background is in the medical sciences and I am applying to top B-schools and top phd programs in Health policy this fall.

Went to a top Federal university, now guys I need your help as regards the application process, hints, SOPs and all.

Fanstastic score you've got there, Congratulations!!!!. Application process is simple, fill out the application on your school's portal and begin to speak with your college professors for letter of recommendation (find out how many your school requires and get them ready), also start drafting your SOP (this is one of the most important part of your application), spend time on writing it, you can google some sample SOPs on the internet (but pls do not copy ooo. . . they have a way of knowng if you plagiarized), pay your application fee (you can do this with a mastercard or visa card). The earlier you begin your applications the better so start immediately!

All the best
Re: Preparing for GRE by FindOut(m): 2:46am On Sep 12, 2011
mayorteeny:

Great scores. Even your first score is really great. If i may ask, why did u do another? how long did you study for the test? Did you attend classes or you read on ur own? What study materials did you use, as in publishers?

@ House,
Anybody should please feel free to answer any of the questns above as well.
I intend to write mine in November. I want to know if two months is enough to prepare for this exam. And I'll also appreciate any recommendations as regards a reliable agency to register for the xams & possibly get the new revised GRE study material.

Thanx house.
Re: Preparing for GRE by chairman6(m): 2:36pm On Sep 15, 2011
mayorteeny:

U must be a baaaaadt guys!  grin   True, this zone is mainly filled with Engine guys. I'm also applying to public health schools anyway.  The key thing, like someone said, is to apply early, especially if you are hoping for some sort of funding. Also, look for guys that can give you very good recommendations, not just any kind of letter, then construct a nice SOP. With your score, i guess getting into any program of your choice should be like drinking chilled garri with sugar and groundnuts  grin grin grin .  Which schools are you applying to? Are you going through SOPHAS or you are applying to individual schools?
Re: Preparing for GRE by chairman6(m): 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
Find Out!:

Great scores. Even your first score is really great. If i may ask, why did u do another? how long did you study for the test? Did you attend classes or you read on your own? What study materials did you use, as in publishers?

@ House,
Anybody should please feel free to answer any of the questns above as well.
I intend to write mine in November. I want to know if two months is enough to prepare for this exam.  And I'll also appreciate any recommendations as regards a reliable agency to register for the xams & possibly get the new revised GRE study material.

Thanx house.

How long you take in preparing depends on how good you are naturally in English and Maths, especially English. Why? Its usually the english part that plucks people's eyes. If you have a very good command of vocabulary, you can effectively prepare in as little as 2weeks of focused reading and get an outstanding score. If your vocab is not so tight, its better you take some time getting to know all those them tacky words up close before you go for the exam. This might take you up to 2-3 months of active study depending on how fast you are. For some, it may even take up to 6 months.
To guide you as to how good you are and how well you are doing, you can check your scores on all those practice tests in the studypacks and the GRE Powerprep software. Make sure you are timing yourself exactly sha, to get a more accurate picture of your readiness.
You can always rough out the Maths part without taking so much stress.

For materials, you can use Kaplan or Barron's. Different people prefer different ones, but i think both are quite good. I personally used Kaplan anyway, with a mix of some other funny materials. U can always study on your own, most people do, unless you particularly like being taught.

As for registering, better go get a bank's visacard or mastercard, before they scam you. I used a Skyebank Visacard when I did mine. Very straightforward. Get a card, go online and register straight. No long thing.

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by FindOut(m): 12:35pm On Sep 16, 2011
*chairman*:

How long you take in preparing depends on how good you are naturally in English and Maths, especially English. Why? Its usually the english part that plucks people's eyes. If you have a very good command of vocabulary, you can effectively prepare in as little as 2weeks of focused reading and get an outstanding score. If your vocab is not so tight, its better you take some time getting to know all those them tacky words up close before you go for the exam. This might take you up to 2-3 months of active study depending on how fast you are. For some, it may even take up to 6 months.
To guide you as to how good you are and how well you are doing, you can check your scores on all those practice tests in the studypacks and the GRE Powerprep software. Make sure you are timing yourself exactly sha, to get a more accurate picture of your readiness.
You can always rough out the Maths part without taking so much stress.

For materials, you can use Kaplan or Barron's. Different people prefer different ones, but i think both are quite good. I personally used Kaplan anyway, with a mix of some other funny materials. U can always study on your own, most people do, unless you particularly like being taught.

As for registering, better go get a bank's visacard or mastercard, before they scam you. I used a Skyebank Visacard when I did mine. Very straightforward. Get a card, go online and register straight. No long thing.

Thanx a lot. I think I'm very much much above average as regards English/Verbal. I took the SAT twice in 2008, I had a score of 710 out of 800 in the Verbal/critical reading section, and an aggregate of 1920.Got admission, was denied a visa, long story cut short.

I know the GRE is a different ball game, but I believe my SAT experience could be of advantage. I intend to put in 6 weeks of intensive study starting today, for the GRE.

Thanx again for the hint as regards direct online registration. But I was under the impression that d online reg isn't available for Nigeria tho', will do further research as soon as I'm about to register, hopefully, next week.

Cheers.
Re: Preparing for GRE by chairman6(m): 5:13pm On Sep 19, 2011
Find Out!:

Thanx a lot. I think I'm very much much above average as regards English/Verbal. I took the SAT twice in 2008, I had a score of 710 out of 800 in the Verbal/critical reading section, and an aggregate of 1920.Got admission, was denied a visa, long story cut short.

I know the GRE is a different ball game, but I believe my SAT experience could be of advantage. I intend to put in 6 weeks of intensive study starting today, for the GRE.

Thanx again for the hint as regards direct online registration. But I was under the impression that d online reg isn't available for Nigeria tho', will do further research as soon as I'm about to register, hopefully, next week.

Cheers.

U've got an edge then. Just focus and with lots of practice, you should get a high score as well. Just don't overlook the Maths sha. As per the online registration, so i thought too, until guys told me the same thing here on NL. Just go online, choose your centre and date, and pay with your Visacard. All the best in your preps!
Re: Preparing for GRE by mimi234: 11:12am On Sep 28, 2011
Hey Guys,

Yes i trolled through all 37 pages of this thread lol. grin

Quick question(s), I did all my schooling in UK that is GCSE -> ALEVELS -> UNDERGRAD.

This GPA is kind of confusing is this the same at ALEVELS or UNDERGRAD , i got 320 ucas points (a-levels) and first class in BSc Economics (undergrad) what GPA am i?

Also everyone on this thread are into engineering lol, i'm planning to do my masters in finance in the states, however i wanted to know on average ow long does it take to revise/prepare for this GRE, i plan to take it in November but i read some people took 2-4 months for preparations :O i don't have four months, do you think i should postpone my GRE its just that most deadlines are in January and I intend to begin my masters in fall 2012.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 3:43am On Sep 29, 2011
mimi234:

Hey Guys,

Yes i trolled through all 37 pages of this thread lol. grin

Quick question(s), I did all my schooling in UK that is GCSE -> ALEVELS -> UNDERGRAD.

This GPA is kind of confusing is this the same at ALEVELS or UNDERGRAD , i got 320 ucas points (a-levels) and first class in BSc Economics (undergrad) what GPA am i?

Also everyone on this thread are into engineering lol, i'm planning to do my masters in finance in the states, however i wanted to know on average ow long does it take to revise/prepare for this GRE, i plan to take it in November but i read some people took 2-4 months for preparations :O i don't have four months, do you think i should postpone my GRE its just that most deadlines are in January and I intend to begin my masters in fall 2012.

Many schools will fix the fall 2012 application deadlines for December (top schools) or January 2012. If you intend to start your program by fall next year, it means you have very little time. I'm not sure if Finance people are required to take GRE, I think it's GMAT. Whatever it is, you need to figure out how much time you will need to prepare yourself. Get prep materials and evaluate yourself. I'd suggest you don't rush your applications though; good applications need a lot of effort and time input.

Re: Preparing for GRE by ibnhasan: 1:49pm On Sep 29, 2011
@ Tabarity:
Please I have been trying to get in touch with you. It's about KAUST. I read somewhere earlier that u got their admit and perhaps u are not considering it. I'm also applying there and I'll your advise on their admission and any info that would help me make a good choice.
I'll also appreciate it if you can send me the materials you used for your GRE."
Thanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2011
ibn hasan

Sorry for the late reply. KAUST is a good school, and so very competitive to get in. If you apply there, you will be competing for spots with guys from Cambridge, Harvard, Cornell and the likes. So you want to get the best you can get in the GRE and write a really good SOP. Create an impression on the reviewer that you are really interested in their research areas and you do associate with their core values. You will be fine.
Regarding GRE materials, I only used Barrons, that's all. You can also get one too. But I think you may have to do more than that since the testing format changed recently. Good luck bro.
Re: Preparing for GRE by doziej84: 3:21am On Oct 03, 2011
GboyegaD:

I do not have an idea however, you can drop your email address if you want the old materials.

GboyegaD, pls i will need copies of the GRE materials.
my mail is ---doziej84@yahoo.com

thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by onebonej: 10:29pm On Oct 03, 2011
@gboyegaD i pease CC me in the mail c/o @biikeys via Facebook(Jerry), thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by kuchikau: 4:50pm On Oct 06, 2011
Pls,i need help.pls,transworld educatn gave me scholarship to d u.s.(1)do i need to write d standardize test.(2)although my 1-20 form and scholarship cert. Award has not being sent,what is d duration 4 admission processing in d u.s.(3)pls,wat do u thing dis scholarship may cover?pls, replx.tanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by imperiouxx(m): 11:28pm On Oct 06, 2011
How can one get the prepaid card to register for the GRE provided that one is not having account with the bank and how much is the cost of the new GRE?
Re: Preparing for GRE by AZeD1(m): 1:03am On Oct 07, 2011
Has anyone done the revised GRE?? if yes what did you score and what did you use for preparation I plan to do mine in december and i need study materials urgently.
Re: Preparing for GRE by ceenote: 5:42pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ Tabarity,

I've followed your comments on so many websites. Now, I wish to ask: which school did you end up choosing and which program?

I await your reply. Perhaps you could send your reply to-   note.cee@gmail.com

Thank you.
Re: Preparing for GRE by iquoat: 4:48pm On Oct 19, 2011
i have written the revised GRE, wrote it last week and it wasnt so bad. Prepared for less than 2weeks and i used the ETS Official Revised Gre book and followed some online forums.
Re: Preparing for GRE by iquoat: 4:50pm On Oct 19, 2011
The Revised Gre gives you a range immediately you finish and not your actual score. I got 750-800 in quant and 500-600 in verbal. so i guess my range is 1250-1400. i will know my exact score in November
Re: Preparing for GRE by kuchikau: 11:02am On Oct 22, 2011
Pls, i want to know how long it can take an 1-20 form,and a scholarship cert. Of award to enter NiGERIA.PLS assist! Tanx.
Re: Preparing for GRE by kuchikau: 11:59am On Oct 22, 2011
Pls,wen do reg.start in most u.s universities?
Re: Preparing for GRE by EmmaMsc(m): 1:09pm On Nov 06, 2011
Sefago, i need to ask u sth. can u drop ur mail here or send me a mail on omojohn18 at yahoo dot com
thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by ruther2: 1:45am On Nov 08, 2011
I really want to know, can one seriously register for the GRE using a Visa or Master Card in Nigeria. I saw someone mention it somewhere here, even though the ETS site says it is not allowed for Nigeria.

Also guys, I graduated with a 3.65/5 CGPA in petroleum engineering and I am looking at a masters program at Texas A&M, CSM, LSU and U of Oklahama.
If I get a Quantitative score like 750 do you think I stand a chance? Thanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by ruther2: 2:15am On Nov 08, 2011
iquoat:

The Revised Gre gives you a range immediately you finish and not your actual score. I got 750-800 in quant and 500-600 in verbal. so i guess my range is 1250-1400. i will know my exact score in November

I intend to write mine in Sometime next month and I guess I have like one month to prepare. Where did you register and how much did it cost? I really want to know if I can register online with a Visa card myself. I guess it would save me time, money and give me some assurance I am registered. Any materials besides the ones on the ETS site you would like to share? I am going for petroleum engineering, what do you intend to study? Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.