Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,223 members, 7,815,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread (13349 Views)

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) / Nasarawa Impeachment: Lawmakers Reject Panel’s Verdict, Vow To Impeach Al-makura / Cassava Bread Policy: Jonathan Pushes Ahead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 11:08pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Ballabriggs has actually said some important points.

In addition, the focus should be on making local products more competitive, rather than artificially weakening the competitiveness of foreign products.

T[b]he best way to stimulate local production is with electricity[/b]. Not with bans..

Good as well
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 11:10pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

In the EU, fruits need to be a certain shape to be accepted for sale or export; in the US (as elsewhere), there are regulations on the amount of salt in fast foods. Most countries ban certain types of egg, beef, pork etc.
Some of these things are done for health reasons, others for strictly economic reasons.
Every country regulates what its citizens eat. cool

I have never heard of any regulation on the amount of salt in fast foods in the US. Furthermore, given that they provide salt shakers at restaurants, you can add as much salt as you want..

I do not know of any bans on egg, beef, pork here in the US (unless it is a temporary ban for health. E.g., banning infected pork from location X.) Salmon which I eat frequently is typically imported..
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 11:10pm On May 23, 2012
Anyway, the reps have spoken. The bill has been rightfully rejected.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 11:11pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Anyway, the reps have spoken. The bill has been rightfully rejected.

it is not rightfully but wrongfully. wink
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 11:11pm On May 23, 2012
Bans in Europe, I am less familiar with.

But certainly your claim about arbitrary food bans in the US is false.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 11:14pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

I'm sure growth starts by investing in indeginious industry and agriculture. Your post is completely self contradictory and a touch ignorant.

If Mr Jonathan is serious about promoting Domestic Industries, we would see it. Only a mumu like you who worships Jona to earn a living would gloat over this rubbish. No one says public procurement laws are not good but there must be a clear plan for domestic production if not you create distortions in the market and thus impact negatively on the surplus of consumers. You don't just come out -like Babangida did in the late 1990s- and say you are putting controls on certain products when there is little capacity on ground. He does not need all these political jamboree. What the hell is Cassava? If indeed he is serious about boosting linkages in the Nigerian economy, we would see meaningful progress in industries such as the steel rolling mills. Those industries are critical to the nations development and not the rubbish they tell you about SMEs. SMEs survive because of the presence of those heavy industries as linkages are created. Tell your Oga he is not serious!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Kobojunkie: 11:18pm On May 23, 2012
A regulation on the amount of salt fast food restaurants can use in making their meals being compared to a ban on pure what products??

By the way, does that regulation also extend to when I purchase the burger and decide to pour a bag of salt on it? If only there was a way to buy that wheat hybrid bread and remove the cassava on my own. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 11:20pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

In the EU, fruits need to be a certain shape to be accepted for sale or export; in the US (as elsewhere), there are regulations on the amount of salt in fast foods. Most countries ban certain types of egg, beef, pork etc.
Some of these things are done for health reasons, others for strictly economic reasons.
Every country regulates what its citizens eat. cool

Mr man stop lying. Fair enough there are restrictions on food colouring in the EU. However, because of tradition and the British consumers preference for greener peas and well coloured sausages, Britain is exempted from certain aspects of the law. Traditionally we have always known wheat bread and not the cassava your oga wants to force down our throat. So to talk like the law is rigid is incorrect.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Kobojunkie: 11:22pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

If Mr Jonathan is serious about promoting Domestic Industries, we would see it.

Speaking of promoting domestic industry, what of also promoting production of wheat? Nigeria used to produce wheat on a serious scale, and nothing stops us from doing the same again, well, maybe the government putting up these bans that essentially discourage people from farming some crops.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 11:25pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

If Mr Jonathan is serious about promoting Domestic Industries, we would see it. Only a mumu like you who worships Jona to earn a living would gloat over this rubbish. No one says public procurement laws are not good but there must be a clear plan for domestic production if not you create distortions in the market and thus impact negatively on the surplus of consumers. You don't just come out -like Babangida did in the late 1990s- and say you are putting controls on certain products when there is little capacity on ground. He does not need all these political jamboree. What the hell is Cassava? If indeed he is serious about boosting linkages in the Nigerian economy, we would see meaningful progress in industries such as the steel rolling mills. Those industries are critical to the nations development and not the rubbish they tell you about SMEs. SMEs survive because of the presence of those heavy industries as linkages are created. Tell your Oga he is not serious!

You call me a mumu and in the very same breath ask "what the hell is cassava?" Dude, that just shows you up as a self hater or in the least a person with their head in the clouds who does not realise that 70% of our workforce is involved in subsistence farming. What would your steel plants give these people in the one short year that promoting cassava can impact their lives positively?

Tell me next, what are you going to use the steel for? Do you just foolishly produce steel for no reason? If there had been a demand for steel, do you think Delta Steel Warri and Ajaokuta Steel rolling mill would have packed up? Most of you are just pie in the sky types who have no clue that development begins from the grassroots.

You ask for heavy industries. I ask what for? We do not live in the pre WWII era when communist style giant steel works were the thing to have, these days the thing to have is a little money in your pocket and brains to match it. Facebook wasn't built with steel was it? Neither was Microsoft nor Google.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 11:26pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

Mr man stop lying. Fair enough there are restrictions on food colouring in the EU. However, because of tradition and the British consumers preference for greener peas and well coloured sausages, Britain is exempted from certain aspects of the law. Traditionally we have always known wheat bread and not the cassava your oga wants to force down our throat. So to talk like the law is rigid is incorrect.

If you cannot point out a single lie, you shut the phuck up.
All you have done is agree with what I said that food is regulated the World over.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 11:31pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Bans in Europe, I am less familiar with.

But certainly your claim about arbitrary food bans in the US is false.

Ok, I found I was wrong about the regulation of amount of salt in foods in the US, but there are several studies calling the US govt to do that.
The amount of salt in foods is regulated in Europe.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 11:33pm On May 23, 2012
Rather than force cassava bread down people's throat - why not make it a cheaper alternative to the flour bread.. That's the only way people can get used to the taste.. It has to be a gradual thing when it comes to food, you don't just force a different taste down people's throat...

As for the legislators, when did Nigerians start caring about what they eat?? About Nigerians are diabetic - when did these clowns start caring grin grin grin

Another fail for GEJ!! This guy stays failing...

His priorities defies logic! grin

Why not sponsor a bill to ban corruption?

Why not sponsor a bill to ban fuel importation??

Nah, it's some phony cassava bread lol.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 11:36pm On May 23, 2012
shymmex:
Rather than force cassava bread down people's throat - why not make it a cheaper alternative to the flour bread..

+100
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 11:40pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

You call me a mum and in the very same breath ask "what the hell is cassava?" Dude, that just shows you up as a self hater or in the least a person with their head in the clouds who does not realise that 70% of our workforce is involved in subsistence farming. What would your steel plants give these people in the one short year that promoting cassava can impact their lives positively?

Tell me next, what are you going to use the steel for? Do you just foolishly produce steel for no reason? If there had been a demand for steel, do you think Delta Steel Warri and Ajaokuta Steel rolling mill would have packed up? Most of you are just pie in the sky types who have no clue that development begins from the grassroots.

You ask for heavy industries. I ask what for? We do not live in the pre WWII era when communist style giant steel works were the thing to have, these days the thing to have is a little money in your pocket and brains to match it. Facebook wasn't built with steel was it? Neither was Microsoft nor Google.

I say you're a mumu confirmed. There should be a plan which covers all aspects of the nations agricultural sector and not restricted to cassava and crop production. That is how you create linkages in the economy and not this noise making. You don't just pass vague laws forcing cassava down the throat of consumers and expect it to create linkages in the economy. Secondly, have you seen any developed economy or a rapidly developing economy without a steel mill or a chemical industry. These are industries critical to development. China and Malaysia as developing countries understand this and thus one sees their involvement in these industries. Even Brazil and Russia have theirs. You've not gotten the basics right yet you want microsoft and google. I see your Oga likes Facebook. These industries are geared towards boosting linkages in the economy. Look at China all over Africa looking for mines to meet their needs while your Oga is sleeping on cassava bread. Yeye dey smell.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 11:52pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

I say you're a mumu confirmed. There should be a plan which covers all aspects of the nations agricultural sector and not restricted to cassava and crop production.

Daft.

If you weren't engrossed in the crusts of your scary arse, you would have known that cassava is just one arm of a wider more comprensive plan involving millet, rice etc, cutting out the middle man and investments. But you are an id!ot anyway, so how would you know the obvious?

ballabriggs:

Secondly, have you seen any developed economy or a rapidly developing economy without a steel mill or a chemical industry. These are industries critical to development. China and Malaysia as developing countries understand this and thus one sees their involvement in these industries. Even Brazil and Russia have theirs. You've not gotten the basics right yet you want microsoft and google. These industries are geared towards boosting linkages in the economy. Look at China all over Africa looking for mines to meet their needs while your Oga is sleeping on cassava bread. Yeye dey smell.

Are those steel mills state owned in capitalist economies? Your head is empty that is why you are comparing China which is communist and Nigeria which is capitalist; its like a clever d.i.c.k comparing oil and water. Both don't mix.
If you want a steel mill, go build one for yourself, that isn't govts business, because we are not a communist country.

There is no steel plant that is worth even half the valuations of companies like Microsoft, Google and Facebook. I will ask you again, what do you want steel mills built for? For fun? Weren't they built before for fun by donkeys without a clue like you? Didn't lack of demand make them white elephants?

All you've done in so many words is prove your crass ignorance of the World around you. Its sad.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Musiwa49: 11:57pm On May 23, 2012
when the president comes from about 1% population of Nigeria. You can see how hard it is.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 11:57pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

Daft.

If you weren't engrossed in the crusts of your scary arse, you would have known that cassava is just one arm of a wider more comprensive plan involving millet, rice etc, cutting out the middle man and investments. But you are an id!ot anyway, so how would you know the obvious?

Are those steel mills state owned in capitalist economies? Your head is empty that is why you are comparing China which is communist and Nigeria which is capitalist; its like a clever d.i.c.k comparing oil and water. Both don't mix.
If you want a steel mill, go build one for yourself, that isn't govts business, because we are not a communist country.

There is no steel plant that is worth even half the valuations of companies like Microsoft, Google and Facebook. I will ask you again, what do you want steel mills built for? For fun? Weren't they built before for fun by donkeys without a clue like you?

All you've done in so many words is prove your crass ignorance of the World around you. Its sad.

Haha is it similar to the one Babangida and DFRRI had? We have seen this same story before.

What of India? What of Malaysia? What of Brazil? Stop eating cassava bread mugu!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 12:04am On May 24, 2012
ballabriggs:

Haha is it similar to the one Babangida and DFRRI had? We have seen this same story before.

What of India? What of Malaysia? What of Brazil? Stop eating cassava bread mugu!

All you know how to do is say words like mugu, cos thats what you are; you have been exposed as just another empty name dropper who talks gibberish by the container load.
We do not have industries with a high demand for steel, yet a donkey says, "build steel mills!" I say, for what?
What is even worse is that the vast majority of people in your state are poor to abject wretchedness, yet you oppose policies that would rapidly add to their quality of life while chatting shiit about steel mills which would have no effect on the 70% who are subsistence farmers.

Dude, you are dense. You are only ashamed of cassava because to you it is local. As if wheat is not local to Europeans! angry
Its just your low self-esteem rearing its ugly head.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 12:12am On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear: Diabetes is not a good reason?

What of the reason they proposed that people should be free to eat what they want, w/o being forced?

I agree with the lawmakers..
I'm starting to learn how to ignore hypocrites like Jermaine, Beaf and that terrorist, Alhaji Harem; I'd advice you to take the same route. If they're too stu.pid to realize that their freedom should at least include what they consume, trust me, nothing you say will assuage them.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 12:14am On May 24, 2012
kingoflag: I'm starting to learn how to ignore hypocrites like Jermaine, Beaf and that terrorist, Alhaji Harem; I'd advice you to take the same route. If they're too stu.pid to realize that your freedom should at least include what they consume, trust me, nothing you say will assuage them.

Sir Sir Sir !!!! Where the hell does it say all flours in the country must be Cassava ?

Where the hell does it say all bread in the country must be made from cassava ?

where the hell does it say everyone in the country MUST consume cassava bread rather than wheat ?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 12:17am On May 24, 2012
everyone have choices and that right has not been taken from anybody.

But the PRODUCTION of flour in Nigeria Must be made from cassava.

Thus production is different from imported. No right is taken from anyone here
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 12:18am On May 24, 2012
Beaf:

these days the thing to have is a little money in your pocket and brains to match it. Facebook wasn't built with steel was it? Neither was Microsoft nor Google.
If Mark Zuckerberg had to do everything by Generator, 24/7, thered be no Facebook for your oga to claim to have invented.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 12:19am On May 24, 2012
kingoflag: I'm starting to learn how to ignore hypocrites like Jermaine, Beaf and that terrorist, Alhaji Harem; I'd advice you to take the same route. If they're too stu.pid to realize that your freedom should at least include what they consume, trust me, nothing you say will assuage them.

I guess you think your freedom includes taking your life too (most dumb people do). Dude, attempt suicide, fail, let the courts know about it, then see if your sorry arse won't be hauled off to jail for attempting to take a life.

The little exercise above should tell you the abrupt limits of your freedom beneath the weighty shadow of the state.
The state owns you. Freedom indeed!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by donfineboi: 12:20am On May 24, 2012
To be honest ballabriggs is making a very factual point. Beaf u r just beafing...... Sometimes it is best to apply reason, don't be one sided, but I guess ddep in ur heart u know he's tellling d truth......
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 12:21am On May 24, 2012
alj harem:

Sir Sir Sir !!!! Where the hell does it say all flours in the country must be Cassava ?

Where the hell does it say all bread in the country must be made from cassava ?

where the hell does it say everyone in the country MUST consume cassava bread rather than wheat ?
And whered I say any of the things which you've falsely attributed to me above?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 12:21am On May 24, 2012
It is easy to read. Even a educated person like me can read the common sentence and can pick out the relevant points.

Those arguing about electricity are right but we start from somewhere by patronising our indigenous people/products and companies.

GEJ still needs to do the electricity but lets start from this first.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 12:22am On May 24, 2012
donfineboi: To be honest ballabriggs is making a very factual point. Beaf u r just beafing...... Sometimes it is best to apply reason, don't be one sided, but I guess ddep in ur heart u know he's tellling d truth......

What factual point is he making? Perhaps you could enlighten me, cos I fail to see any.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 12:22am On May 24, 2012
donfineboi: To be honest ballabriggs is making a very factual point. Beaf u r just beafing...... Sometimes it is best to apply reason, don't be one sided, but I guess ddep in ur heart u know he's tellling d truth......

That is very true. but a journey of a million miles starts with a step
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 12:24am On May 24, 2012
kingoflag: And whered I say any of the things which you've falsely attributed to me above?

Again the freedom has not be taken away from anyone. smiley

I made that point clear from the start. just cause you enforce cassava production in Nigeria does not mean everyone in Nigeria would be forced to eat cassava bread.

In fact have you tried cassava bread before to see if you like it or not. grin
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by donfineboi: 12:53am On May 24, 2012
The major factor here is to sustain economic growth and development. GEJ must place his prioities right, they are many sectors of our economy that needs urgent attention that are related to farming. Look at the chemical industry for instance, we still import fertiliZer, we spend billions of Naira doing that.... What stops us from producing? The steel industry decaying, but do u know we have d capacity to manufacture mechanised vehicles for agriculture.... But due to our ailing steel industry the only thing we produce are iron rods for construction. Why climb the stairs when u can use an elevator.... If GEJ wants to solve a problem he should look at it fro a wholistic view..
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 1:01am On May 24, 2012
kingoflag: If Mark Zuckerberg had to do everything by Generator, 24/7, thered be no Facebook for your oga to claim to have invented.

lmfao grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians Are Right To Expect Miracles From Buhari - PDP Chief Sunny Onuesoke / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Names Of People Killed When Customs Vehicle Ran Into Them In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.