Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,312 members, 7,815,567 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread (13351 Views)

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) / Nasarawa Impeachment: Lawmakers Reject Panel’s Verdict, Vow To Impeach Al-makura / Cassava Bread Policy: Jonathan Pushes Ahead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by alahamad(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2012
@Beaf nd alh_harem.....along side others who support the retardeens failed mental capacity to reason well enough nd use his brain rather than his sh.it box...

Aside the health disadvantages acrued to dis disaster he wants to "MANDATE" people into, what happened to Human rights?......why would I want to eat bread nd I'll have to consume cassava along the line when in naija, there's Eba, Akpu, fufu nd a host of other dishes made from the same casava?

The president nd his advisers can go to hell with their stu.pidity.....we have more pressing issues to tackle nd not some baseless debates that will only end up causing health hazards to people.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by flexya: 1:14pm On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear: Diabetes is not a good reason?

What of the reason they proposed that people should be free to eat what they want, w/o being forced?

I agree with the lawmakers..
My kindren, I am wit u. If they want 2 encourage consumption of cassava, then bakeries should flood the market wit cassava composite bread. If its cheap enough, ppl will buy....and it should be cheap enough since the cassava flour is not imported. It must be a choice thing like brown bread vs white bread

The govt on the other hand should offer incentives (tax/loan incentives) to bakers that include cassava in their bread production.

(He lawmakers got the answer right bt the calculation (ie the satistics cited) was wrong.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by gbadexy(m): 1:31pm On May 24, 2012
I dont know about the economic jargons,but i know that this policy was a well intentioned one that would encourage farming and create more jobs.besides that mean we will be eating bread with sufficient fiber.i think 30% cassava wont overly alter the bread taste and texture
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by gbadexy(m): 1:38pm On May 24, 2012
I will have to also agree dat so far cassava is abundant here,they should allow market force to decide.if cassava bread is okay and much cheaper than wheat bread,then cassava consumption would increase
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by bakila: 1:55pm On May 24, 2012
gbadexy: I dont know about the economic jargons,but i know that this policy was a well intentioned one that would encourage farming and create more jobs.besides that mean we will be eating bread with sufficient fiber.i think 30% cassava wont overly alter the bread taste and texture

Your post seems balanced and independent the texture of a bread that contains cassava is funny, it is not what a goverment should force down the throat of its people.
Goverment can encourage cassava production and export without this drama. If that bill is passed either NAFDAC will be distracted with this Act or a any agency will be set up to enforce it. No law needed with the right incentives to master bakers the economics of bread production will encourage a choice on price or taste.
That Executive Bill is a waste of resource and it should go to the dustbin.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by AnotherOkija: 2:35pm On May 24, 2012
noiseless: Haa haaa! And that is what you call speaking Igbo? I know a lot of your Yoruba and hausa brothers/sister who speak better. I have told you if you have something to tell your brothers just do it with boldness, you really don't need to hide behind igbo id to do so, that is called cowardice and hypocricy.

If e dey pain you!!

1001 ways to kill yourself... Choose one!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by koolbe(m): 3:20pm On May 24, 2012
They are all theives!! Dats d same reason they wont allow PHCN to work because they ar d importers of generators!

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 24, 2012
The policy is well-intentioned, but it cannot be forced down our throats. Nigerians will not patronise cassava bread if the bread is poorly packaged, too hard, has a poor taste or is too expensive. Eventually its about demand and supply. If the cassava bread proves unpopular, then a ban on whole-wheat breas will only create a black market.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 3:45pm On May 24, 2012
noiseless: A lot of posters are vomiting sh1t on this topic mainly because the casava is no from "WHITEMAN COUNTRY", that is the nigerian mentality "i don't want to be seen eating inferior local products" and it doesn't matter whether they are actually inferior quality or of very good quality and affordable too, as long as they are not made in "OYIBO COUNRTRY WITH OYIBO LABEL". Yet here is a country where about 8 in 10 of the populations live below 1 dollar a day.

You hit the nail on the head, bro.
Low self-esteem is behind 90% of the vitreolic anti-cassava posts. Others have also dishonestly tried to make it seem like there is no wholistic agricultural policy, whereas it is known that there is a determined drive to boost quality of life by empowering the grassroots through agriculture.
Let development mean something that directly and immediately boosts the pocket of the citizen (even the stark illiterate) and see the wonders that would produce. Let it mean something the man on the street can key into in a natural way and see how you start his positive fires burning! Engage the ordinary citizen in a way that enriches them and watch the economy rocket!

The targetting of subsistence farming is a model of development that is deeply connected to the people, not the previous crap of "build steel giant mills" and pray that somebody builds steel industries to use them. Right now, there are farmers ready to plant the cassava, rice millet etc and a robust demand for their product exists. Economics is based on demand and supply; therefore, it makes obvious sense that any nation that wishes to have any meaningful development needs to key vigorously into the needs, culture and practices of its people as a first step.

As was said earlier, many Nigerians take this lacadaisical attitude, because oil is flowing and money will come regardless of if we sit around all day twiddling our fingers.

The stark fact is that ungoing initiatives like those for cassava, rice, millet, cocoa etc are targetted at almost immediately empowering and lifting out of poverty, the 70% of our workforce that is engaged in subsistence farming (currently producing 40% of GDP).
This is a section of the economy that needs only a little insentive to briskly move up the ladder into valued coorporatives and agro-businesses that will in turn rapidly generate wealth and industry.

Agro-businesses will generate the need for roads to transport goods, demand for processing machines and the engineering and design skills to build them. They will also generate the interest of intellectuals and universities. Today, we talk about cassava for bread, tomorrow it could well be fermenting cassava for alcohol to power our cars as trucks (similar to corn and methanol in Brazil).
Before you know it, there will be clusters of technology centers maximising money from the agricultural sector and driving development in other areas.
All the man on the street needs is money in his pocket; his most important possession is his brain. With that brain and some money to fuel his ideas, the sky becomes the limit.
Imagine intensly rural but heavily agriculturally promising states like Ekiti and Osun suddenly bursting to life and buzzing with purpose. cool

It is high time we dropped pie in the sky technologies that only result in white elephants that become vicious blackholes for the swallowing of billions and and trillions as govt after govt tries the same old tired and meaningless strategies for our development.

Here are pics of what the Jamaicans can do with cassava; some Delta peeps will immediately recognise the product as akpo biscuit or "truckman tablet," something that only poor people make and consume in the rural parts of Delta state. Its the exact same thing Jamaicans have taken to another level. grin
Well, you can buy it on the streets of Europe and America. Talk about pride and industry.

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by biomak(f): 3:57pm On May 24, 2012
Increase import duties on wheat
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by gabe: 4:09pm On May 24, 2012
they stopped the single sensible thing GEJ has done because of diabetes?! some bakers add alloxan, a drug used to CAUSE diabetes in bread to make it white. I haven't heard these dolts saying anything about that,here's a thought, SCRAP THE LEGISLATURE. we can take care of ourselves.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Demdem(m): 4:29pm On May 24, 2012
flexya:
My kindren, I am wit u. If they want 2 encourage consumption of cassava, then bakeries should flood the market wit cassava composite bread. If its cheap enough, ppl will buy....and it should be cheap enough since the cassava flour is not imported. It must be a choice thing like brown bread vs white bread

The govt on the other hand should offer incentives (tax/loan incentives) to bakers that include cassava in their bread production.

(He lawmakers got the answer right bt the calculation (ie the satistics cited) was wrong.

These are the kind of people needed in govt not the ones currently there that have refused to put their brain to work.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Demdem(m): 4:32pm On May 24, 2012
gabe: they stopped the single sensible thing GEJ has done because of diabetes?! some bakers add alloxan, a drug used to CAUSE diabetes in bread to make it white. I haven't heard these dolts saying anything about that,here's a thought, SCRAP THE LEGISLATURE. we can take care of ourselves.

Are u saying this is the only sensible thing done by the retardeen for years? shocked
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by abacus(m): 5:07pm On May 24, 2012
Is cassava bread, electricity?

Is cassava bread, good road?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by maasoap(m): 6:55pm On May 24, 2012
I really commend our honourables on this one just like the subsidy probe initiative. Why should any president force the entire nation to be eaten cassava bread when we're already eating garri, eba and cassava flour (amala)? They should look for a way to export cassava if we're having excess of it.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by niyitogun(m): 7:14pm On May 24, 2012
No one should be compelled on what to eat...rather produce this so called cassava/flour bread, going by governments logic it should be cheaper and since gov says the quality is as good- means more people will buy it.
place it in d market allowing ppl pick what they want to eat- whether diabetic or not...
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On May 24, 2012
gbadexy: I dont know about the economic jargons,but i know that this policy was a well intentioned one that would encourage farming and create more jobs.besides that mean we will be eating bread with sufficient fiber.i think 30% cassava wont overly alter the bread taste and texture

Well intention-ed you claim. What happened to encouraging farmers to grow wheat? Why must it be a ban on whole wheat bread? grin
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Bestlyf: 7:40pm On May 24, 2012
Beaf: Diabetes is quite a silly reason to hold the nation back. Those lawmakers are only there to feather their own nests.

In fact, giving diabetes as an excuse is just daft; there is enough research to show that there is no link between cassava and diabetes. In fact some studies promote cassava as part of the diet for diabetics, because of its low glycemic index.
The lawmakers.: exposing their ignorance and self centredness.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by nagoma(m): 8:09pm On May 24, 2012
They are certainly bent on stopping GeJ from getting something right just for once. There are many Doctors in the national assembly and even professors of medicine but they conspire and blame diabetes. Foods are listed in glycemic index table according to how quickly And how much they raise blood sugar level in humans. Those raising blood sugar very slowly have a low glycemic index ( GI) that is GI below the value of 55. Foods with intermediate GI have values of GI between 55 and 70 . Above 70 is the rapidraiderss of blood sugar and dangerous for diabetic persons. Examples of high GI foods are white ( wheat) bread 71, doughnuts 76 and Cornflakes 83. Examples of intermediate GI are whole meal bread 69,Digestive biscuits 58, and example of low GI ( most safe Starchy foods for diabetics) are yam 50 , sweet potato 50 and Cassava 46. I wonder where the legislators got their references from. I will not necessarily like cassava bread but from the list above it is safest for diabetics.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 24, 2012
Bontee: @ballabriggs

We can go on and on but the problem does not lie with the president alone as he is not entirely the know it all to do everything. That is why we have ministers for education, science and technology etc to work together and make such policies in a collaborative effort to boost and develop the economy. I agrem
e with your points but in a society as Nigeria with divergent interest then it becomes a problem to develop a comprehensive plan.

The civil war and the direction Nigeria took later is the cause of all our problems, we do not have our usual three to five years development plan anymore.We need linkages in this country and doubt if we have a comprehensive laid out national innovation and development system in place. When we start to attack the president alone because of party, ethnic or religious affiliations, we become distracted from the focus and will never do what is right. This should have been an avenue where people should have come together to develop a policy paper concerning this issues but we are busy attacking the president and trying to show our intellectual prowess.

P:S Nairaland should have been a think-tank for Nigeria policy formulation and development but this distractive arguments everyday is the problem of this site.
What has any of this got to do with the issue at hand?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Loskee(f): 9:50pm On May 24, 2012
there are a number of peeps on NL that i have come to like very much for their purely objective views...
Beaf is number one! wink
alj harem

you guys rock!!!

first of all, there is no such thing tagged as a 'DIABETES DIET'! the watchword is moderation in all foods, and exclusion of obviously detrimental stuff like junk food [which is not good for anyone anyways!]
next, the bill is only to help this nation rely for once on what they have, and reduce the burden of the few mills to meet the ever-increasing demand of bread, which is a breakfast staple. it's not to totally stop the sale of whole wheat bread or white flour bread, but to augment.
third, cassava flour from all indications would be cheaper for nigerians, because it is indigenous to us. families everywhere around us that cannot afford the luxuries of wheat bread due to cost may now find succour in the affordability of truly and proudly nigerian bread, made available by cassava flour. others may join in, by choice that is, if they like...
finally, cassava is processed thoroughly to rid it of the high starch content, plus other treatments to make it into a healthy flour alternative!

we have a lot to benefit from in this country, it's just that we willingly sit around and let thick sheep's wool be pulled right over our eyes!

SMH... undecided
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Kobojunkie: 10:27pm On May 24, 2012
Bontee: @ballabriggs

We can go on and on[size=13pt] but the problem does not lie with the president alone as he is not entirely the know it all to do everything. That is why we have ministers for education, science and technology etc to work together and make such policies in a collaborative effort to boost and develop the economy.[/size] I agree with your points but in a society as Nigeria with divergent interest then it becomes a problem to develop a comprehensive plan.

ol' boy, it seems you do not understand the reason we have those ministers there. The president DOES NOT need to know it all, that is why he is allowed to hire ministers, advisers, etc He is the one who hires them and they work for him(technically). At the end of the day, they answer to him(technically). So if they do wrong, since he is the boss, it is his responsibility to bear.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:53pm On May 24, 2012
al-ahamad:
@Beaf nd alh_harem.....along side others who support the retardeens failed mental capacity to reason well enough nd use his brain rather than his sh.it box...

Aside the health disadvantages acrued to dis disaster he wants to "MANDATE" people into, what happened to Human rights?......why would I want to eat bread nd I'll have to consume cassava along the line when in naija, there's Eba, Akpu, fufu nd a host of other dishes made from the same casava?

The president nd his advisers can go to hell with their stu.pidity.....we have more pressing issues to tackle nd not some baseless debates that will only end up causing health hazards to people.

yaya ka abokina

You see we should criticise constructively if not our criticism would not be taken serious. As for the bread, I bet if it was IMPORTED cassava bread Nigerians would quickly jump at it.

I have actually eaten cassava bread before and I know the texture, taste and smell. Yes cassava bread stinks but just like wheat bread. Other additives can be added to the bread to make smell and look better.

The diabetic implication the lawmakers are talking about is all lies. The starch content would be roughly the same. Moreover if you know you would die if you eat cassava bread then please the wheat is still available since he did not say we should stop the importation of flours made from wheat.

This is one of the few times I am agreeing with Beaf, because unlike him I chose to remain a progressive and objective. Yes GEJ got it right here.

We waste most of our food product every year, only 70 % of our total food crop make it to the market due to quality. These 30% can be dried up and crushed to make cassava flour. Thus bring down the BASIC food every poor Nigerian can eat which is bread.

That is foresight. In fact if I was GEJ I would also divert some into making biogas fuel to power our homes etc.

First of all, GEJ can put his name on life records and put his political enemies to shame by doing constant electricity. I guess that is what he should focus on first of all.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Ayabareal(f): 12:07am On May 25, 2012
I pray God help GEJ to achieve....Hmmmmm
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by jdash123: 6:46am On May 25, 2012
bump[imghttp://www.50centloseweight.com][/img]
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by nsiadi: 5:26pm On May 25, 2012
Our law makers are not objective
They never were. They are looking for every opportunity to rake in money
Its possible some foreign wheat marketing company has settled them
Apart from this they see the presidency, now, as having aradite hand
They arent hapi their allowance is being cut.
They prefer to arm twist so that Ghana-must-go will re surge
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by sunnx(f): 3:06am On Oct 17, 2012
Beaf: GEJ should simply ban the importation of wheat by executive fiat.

We can't continue living in stup!dity. Today, we laugh at "Igbo made," we laugh at cassava too (because whites use wheat). It is the very same national low self-esteem epidemic I always talk about.

Imagine some clowning legislator giving diabetes as a lame excuse for economic sabotage and the continued seige on the millions of poor farmers who were about to be given a life changing break and a stake in society; he even shamelessly lied that 30-40% of Nigerians are diabetic! Well, cassava has nothing to do with diabetes apart from the legislators expected ignorance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Yakowa Brother Dies In Kaduna / Okorocha Threatens To Arrest Idle Youths / Boko-Haram Members Flee To Kano, Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.