Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread (13352 Views)

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) / Nasarawa Impeachment: Lawmakers Reject Panel’s Verdict, Vow To Impeach Al-makura / Cassava Bread Policy: Jonathan Pushes Ahead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by JAYSLICK(m): 9:59am On May 24, 2012
Beaf:
In fact, giving diabetes as an excuse is just daft; there is enough research to show that there is no link between cassava and diabetes. In fact some studies promote cassava as part of the diet for diabetics, because of its low glycemic index.
You are more than on-point...it could only increase your risk of developing diabetes if not properly prepared.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by atise: 9:59am On May 24, 2012
"30%-40% of Nigerians are Diabetic"!!

What kind of Lawmakers do we have? U mean someone reeled out d above falsehood in d house of reps and no one told him that stat was balderdash??

SMH and feeling sorry for the kind of NA we have.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by birdman(m): 10:00am On May 24, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Haba Comrade, you see no redeeming quality in this particular initiative?
You've made blanket generalisations laced with vitriol, with a complete lack of objectivity, when there is clear evidence of research in this area which predates the current administration? Why?

[url=http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Cassava%20Inclusion%20in%20Wheat%20Flour_Lagos_Nigeria_2-24-2012.pdf/]United States Department of Agriculture
Foreign Agricultural Service[/url]

Beaf needs a good flogging every now and then. I like the fact that this bill embraces industrial policy. Unfortunately, the political naivette in presenting this bill has killed it. Forcing bakers to include a certain percentage in their product is unnecessary, the price incentives ought to be enough to jumpstart local industries and demand. Here is what the bakers themselves have to say (from your pdf)

In general, bakers and flour millers think that 10 percent cassava in wheat flour is achievable. But beyond that level cassava would introduce odor and aftertaste to their products, reduce shelf life of bread from an average of 7 to 4 days, and drastically alter the baking characteristics. Technically, bakers think that at a 40 percent cassava inclusion rate, bread ceases to be wheat bread because the cassava will predominate in baking characteristics, especially because of its zero protein content. High cassava flour content in bread will require higher doses of bread improvers, especially protein and preservatives.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 10:11am On May 24, 2012
ballabriggs:

Who is patronizing these Africans. There is the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) intended to help boost export from African countries into the US. Now tell me how many African countries have indeed benefited from AGOA? Is it a solution to the underdevelopment and poverty of Africans? Most African countries have been unable to benefit from AGOA because of the limited domestic capacity in their economies. For some other countries, it has led to an influx of Chinese FDI who hope to produce in these countries and thus tap into the US markets through the AGOA initiative. Now where is Africa's domestic industries in all these?

No one is saying move towards the left like the Chinese and Soviets did. However, there are important lessons to be learnt by a country with a large population like Nigeria in the way these countries tackled and are still tackling their development challenges. There are also lessons to be learnt in the way Germany came out of the devastation of the Second World War through the Marshal plan.

I asked you a simple question and you go off on a tangent talking about AGOA and "a move to the left".
Are you deliberately being obtuse?
Let me rephrase; what is your main objection to the production of composite-flour in Nigeria (note the emphasis on composite)?.
The Indians use tapioca for pastry - a composite
The Japanese use composite wheat (buckwheat) for noodles - a composite
The thai have protectionist laws in place for various composites of cassava.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by 2sign: 10:18am On May 24, 2012
thank God,so we go dy eat casava cake,meat pie,chin chin,buns,casava semo,pan cake,biscuit.or he think's flowers re only used 4 bread.bush man.lata he go say he be prof.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Delafruita(m): 10:19am On May 24, 2012
Beaf:

I'm sure growth starts by investing in indeginious industry and agriculture. Your post is completely self contradictory and a touch ignorant.
you are extremely myopic.what happened to creating incentives to making cassava flour production profitable?i salute the reps for throwint out ds useles bill
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by mjconcept(m): 10:23am On May 24, 2012
atise: "30%-40% of Nigerians are Diabetic"!!

What kind of Lawmakers do we have? U mean someone reeled out d above falsehood in d house of reps and no one told him that stat was balderdash??

SMH and feeling sorry for the kind of NA we have.
This is why Nigeria isn't moving foward our lawmakers constitute more than 69% of our problems.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by 1025: 10:24am On May 24, 2012
na this cassava bread make jonathan want N1b for feeding.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 10:38am On May 24, 2012
eGuerrilla:

I asked you a simple question and you go off on a tangent talking about AGOA and "a move to the left".
Are you being deliberately obtuse?
Let me rephrase; what is your main objection to the production of composite-flour in Nigeria (note the emphasis on composite)?.
The Indians use tapioca for pastry - a composite
The Japanese use composite wheat (buckwheat) for noodles - a composite
The thai have protectionist laws in place for various composites of cassava.

Like I said earlier, when you make protectionist laws without sufficient domestic capacity in your economy, you distort the market and thus create more problems in your economy. There is insufficient capacity to meet the demand for domestic production in Nigeria. There should be a holistic plan to develop agriculture in Nigeria beyond the subsistence level which we practice at the moment. It should be an agricultural revolution with the combination of domestic technology through education and research. It should not be limited to 'Cassava' and all the noise. It is noise making as far as I am concerned. I am a development economist who has studied East Asia. When I see a concrete plan and effort towards development, I would tell you. As at now what we see daily on TV is all noise.

Let it be known that some of these protectionist laws have been on from the days of IBB. Why has it not worked? Simple, there has not been any concrete plan to boost domestic technology. This 'trickle down' approach towards development is misleading. It is a lazy way to development. The government must be ready to work to solve the poverty of the nation.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:39am On May 24, 2012
As much as I love the whole Cassava bread Idea, I must agree with the senate on this!!

The freedom of choice of Nigerians must be preserved! Such orders are not helpful at all.. There is an international market for cassava, if Nigerians dont want it, export it and make money!!

Kudos to the Lawmakers, they got this one right!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by murtalaa(m): 10:41am On May 24, 2012
This daft president never ceases to disappoint me. How could you force people to eat cassava? Cassava has never ever been part of my meal. It's like forcing a non-yoruba man to eat amala. In any case why would cassava be a replacement for wheat when there are parts of the country that are capable of producing export quantity wheat. shouldn't commercial wheat production be encouraged in tandem with cassava production so that we can have both wheat and cassava breads and people allowed to choose which ever one they desire?

Kudos to those insightful reps, now mama jonathan's backyard cassava go lie fallow grin
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by KINGwax(m): 10:49am On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear: Diabetes is not a good reason?

What of the reason they proposed that people should be free to eat what they want, w/o being forced?

I agree with the lawmakers..
don't mind me o. This shld be a matter of choice. If u want cassava bread, go buy. Of course it'll be cheaper and if u think it's hazardous to your health, go for d other
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by citee(m): 10:55am On May 24, 2012
First time i tasted this so called cassava bread, i poohed for a whole day. I totally agree with those who say it should be left to choice for people to decide what they want to eat. We are not in a command economy. If there is demand for cassava bread, am sure our bakers know what to do.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ziccoit: 10:55am On May 24, 2012
GEJ wanted to force people to eat unrefined cassava products like ewure (goats) while he would be enjoying delicacies of 1 billion naira per year. Crazy leader.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:59am On May 24, 2012
murtalaa: This daft president never ceases to disappoint me. How could you force people to eat cassava? Cassava has never ever been part of my meal. It's like forcing a non-yoruba man to eat amala. In any case why would cassava be a replacement for wheat when there are parts of the country that are capable of producing export quantity wheat. shouldn't commercial wheat production be encouraged in tandem with cassava production so that we can have both wheat and cassava breads and people allowed to choose which ever one they desire?

Kudos to those insightful reps, now mama jonathan's backyard cassava go lie fallow grin

Like forcing aN IGBO MAN TO WEAR TRIBAL MARKS!!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ziccoit: 11:04am On May 24, 2012
Spirit of Okija:

You never see Igbo man with tribal mark? You think na only face dem dey wear am? Tell your Igbo friends to go na.k.ed and you will understand my point.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by humblebee: 11:05am On May 24, 2012
good... we should be exporting cassava or end products of it not forcing us to eat cassava bread, if its good you dont need to pass a bill before we'll consume it. bill was never passed before we voluntarily drink garri as tasteless as it is.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by SUGURU: 11:09am On May 24, 2012
If the president is serious about promoting indigenous products let him initiate a bill that will compel all public servants to send their children to public schools. Only then we will take him serious.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 11:13am On May 24, 2012
An unbiased view on this subject
The story of how government hopes to achieve an input of 10% cassava flour into all confectioneries and baking done within the country is one with many twists and turns. Nnamdi Odikpo attempts to tell this story and also gives us a hint of how major players in the industry are currently working to achieve this target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5AxI2hJH5c
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by laCapri: 11:17am On May 24, 2012
murtalaa: This daft president never ceases to disappoint me. How could you force people to eat cassava? Cassava has never ever been part of my meal. It's like forcing a non-yoruba man to eat amala. In any case why would cassava be a replacement for wheat when there are parts of the country that are capable of producing export quantity wheat. shouldn't commercial wheat production be encouraged in tandem with cassava production so that we can have both wheat and cassava breads and people allowed to choose which ever one they desire?

Sharrap!
I was enjoying this thread until a myopic lot like u showed up.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 11:20am On May 24, 2012
Because Cassava is majorly produced by SS and SE these northern and SW Legislooters rejected what could ve boost our economy but will support it if their companies are to import casava.mitscheew
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by SpiritofOkija(m): 11:21am On May 24, 2012
ziccoit:

You never see Igbo man with tribal mark? You think na only face dem dey wear am? Tell your Igbo friends to go na.k.ed and you will understand my point.

And your point is?! Do they put theirs in your face like this?!

[img]http://3.bp..com/_w4xcR4-kC_c/TGBJutlSQYI/AAAAAAAAAn8/hSK0j7M4uhU/s1600/Mujer_escarificada_en_al_regin_yoruba.jpg[/img] - Iya Deji
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ade80: 11:26am On May 24, 2012
alj harem:

There are still choices available for those that want their wheat. But the flour produced in NIGERIA AS A COUNTRY MUST contain cassava. that is all. for those that want wheat, they can buy the imported ones.

I am sure they did not ban the importation of wheat flour into Nigeria.

Why must it contain cassava? Imagine baking cake with cassava flour? Soon we will want to add yam flour and corn flour
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by noiseless: 11:26am On May 24, 2012
A lot of posters are vomiting sh1t on this topic mainly because the casava is no from "WHITEMAN COUNTRY", that is the nigerian mentality "i don't want to be seen eating inferior local products" and it doesn't matter whether they are actually inferior quality or of very good quality and affordable too, as long as they are not made in "OYIBO COUNRTRY WITH OYIBO LABEL". Yet here is a country where about 8 in 10 of the populations live below 1 dollar a day.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ziccoit: 11:28am On May 24, 2012
Spirit of Okija:

And your point is?! Do they put theirs in your face like this?!

[img]http://3.bp..com/_w4xcR4-kC_c/TGBJutlSQYI/AAAAAAAAAn8/hSK0j7M4uhU/s1600/Mujer_escarificada_en_al_regin_yoruba.jpg[/img] - Iya Deji

My point is you too agreed with me that Igbo man also wears tribal mark which may not be on face. Even if they put it on unmentionable sites, the point is they too wear a tribal mark.

Correct. Notin do you.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by noiseless: 11:30am On May 24, 2012
And you think the same "lawmakers" wont do what they always do?
SUGURU: If the president is serious about promoting indigenous products let him initiate a bill that will compel all public servants to send their children to public schools. Only then we will take him serious.

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by noiseless: 11:37am On May 24, 2012
You coward of the highest order stop calling Igbo and focus on your Yoruba, why are you so ashmaed of your Yoruba tribe? quit deceiving yourself.
Spirit of Okija:

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 11:48am On May 24, 2012
This legislator lie and where did he get his statistic or is he a minister of health .
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by SpiritofOkija(m): 11:55am On May 24, 2012
noiseless: You coward of the highest order stop calling Igbo and focus on your Yoruba, why are you so ashmaed of your Yoruba tribe? quit deceiving yourself.

You bloody Anu Ofia nwulu anwu!!

Why are you obsessed with me?! Alusi Okija kpo kwa gi oku there.. Ezi!! I gwa'm okwu ozo na Nairaland, maka chukwu oga go di gi egwu!! Ewu ndi Yoruba! Biko zuzulu si na iru'm puo kam fu uzo!

Bastard Normad immigrant into Igboland.. Who born you to follow me talk!!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by odovonnestor1: 11:58am On May 24, 2012
ballabriggs: A very petty bill. Should lawmakers occupy themselves with such petty bills? Firstly, it is hypocritical to advocate for a deregulated markets while also placing controls on the content of a product or products. Secondly, one might be forced to ask, is the capacity for local production of cassava sufficient in the Nigerian economy? Such controls have little effect where capacity is limited because it leads to a distortion of markets thus further eroding the welfare of consumers. Thirdly, if indeed such controls are desirable, then it would have been more appropriate to pass a law promoting local content in various sectors of the economy and not limited to 'Cassava' and flour production. One is thus forced to ask, why is Mr. Jonathan obsessed with cassava flour. Is it most critical to reviving the nations economy? There are numerous sectors of the economy were linkages could be created and not limited to 'Cassava flour'. Like I said earlier such bills are better thrown out because it is not a serious bill. It is a petty bill and the Legislators would do well to occupy themselves with more serious legislative duties.

How can u regulate the whole sectors at a go. It is one step befor another. Perhaps you are not aware that Nigeria is d one of the highest producer of cassava in d world. And with such act enacted our farmers can hav enough value their product which they have in abundant, thus encouraging the farmers to produce more.

I think the lawmakers would have given more time and debate on the bill, even embark on wider consultation on the health and economic effect before throwing out the bill.

Then my questions to the lawmakers is "how do we diversify the economy? How do we promote agriculture in the country?"
I wonder what will be the news headline if we wake up one day only to find out that the last oil well in Nigeria has dried up.

No wahala for now since the oil still pump out everyday and allocation is a sure thing " we dee whatch nah"
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by noiseless: 12:17pm On May 24, 2012
Haa haaa! And that is what you call speaking Igbo? I know a lot of your Yoruba and hausa brothers/sister who speak better. I have told you if you have something to tell your brothers just do it with boldness, you really don't need to hide behind igbo id to do so, that is called cowardice and hypocricy.
Spirit of Okija:

You bloody Anu Ofia nwulu anwu!!

Why are you obsessed with me?! Alusi Okija kpo kwa gi oku there.. Ezi!! I gwa'm okwu ozo na Nairaland, maka chukwu oga go di gi egwu!! Ewu ndi Yoruba! Biko zuzulu si na iru'm puo kam fu uzo!

Bastard Normad immigrant into Igboland.. Who born you to follow me talk!!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by hakanai(m): 12:24pm On May 24, 2012
For me just soak the garri abeg wetin be bread made of cassava?See i ave one thing with this and that is you can't force people on things especially what they should eat.People should have options.It is up to companies and other pastry makers to come up with snacks and other things made of cassava enough to lure people in to tasting and thereby consuming further.Before we know burger? Na person bring am and market am.Till e become popular.So same can be done for the cassava.make meals and end products people will like and patronize not inject it by force in peoples choice of food.
My mother is diabetic and i also look out for meals like this that can lead me to such complication.That said i am not in support of making it mandatory or law that we most mix it in anything.If i want wheat i should eat wheat and if i want cassava i should have cassava.Who said cassava no dey sell for Naija sef?I though the idea was to increase production and export this cassava to increase foreign money.
Now na us go chop the excess cassava again by force.We are ranking high in cassava production and we eat all the cassava we consume without exporting much.So how does anything change here?At a time i know we are 2nd producers of cassava world wide and we also consume almost all of it.Obj suggested we increase production and process to maximize it for exports!!!Little has changed since that episode of cassava production as processing has failed the farmers and exports didn't work too!So abeg allow us soak gari,make egba,fufu,alibo etc and stop all this corner corner!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FEC Approves Confab’s Main Report / Chibok Parents Want Daughters Before May 29 (emotional Video) / Police Uses Teargas On "Freezakzaky" Protesters In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.