Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread (13348 Views)

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) / Nasarawa Impeachment: Lawmakers Reject Panel’s Verdict, Vow To Impeach Al-makura / Cassava Bread Policy: Jonathan Pushes Ahead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 1:10am On May 24, 2012
Beaf:

All you know how to do is say words like mugu, cos thats what you are; you have been exposed as just another empty name dropper who talks gibberish by the container load.
We do not have industries with a high demand for steel, yet a donkey says, "build steel mills!" I say, for what?
What is even worse is that the vast majority of people in your state are poor to abject wretchedness, yet you oppose policies that would rapidly add to their quality of life while chatting shiit about steel mills which would have no effect on the 70% who are subsistence farmers.

Dude, you are dense. You are only ashamed of cassava because to you it is local. As if wheat is not local to Europeans! angry
Its just your low self-esteem rearing its ugly head.

Mugu. Demand for steel? What happened to pipelines? Is clay used in making it? What of the oil rigs can't a certain percentage be made using locally sourced steel? Nigeria at a time Had ANNAMCO, VOLKSWAGEN, MAN, Nigerian Machine tool company, Peugeot Automobile and the Truck manufacturing company in Northern Nigeria. Do those industries use clay? What of railway construction? What of buildings? What of road construction? A steel industry boosts linkages within the economy. Have you seen any developed or rapidly developing country without a steel base? Steel is everything. It is a known fact that the US govt shortly after WW2 took over its steel industries. Like I said you are a mugu. You see Facebook because your Oga likes it but you have failed to question how those guys started. Finally, tell your Oga that Facebook is not built without a sound education system. It takes research, training and technical servicing to achieve these things. What has your Oga done except to make noise all over the place. How much can primary products contibute to an economy with a large population such as Nigeria's. Ajaokuta died because greedy souls like your Oga never let it live!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 1:12am On May 24, 2012
This ballabriggs, true to his name is a baller grin

I am enjoying this thread.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 1:33am On May 24, 2012
ballabriggs:

Mugu. Demand for steel? What happened to pipelines? Is clay used in making it? What of the oil rigs can't a certain percentage be made using locally sourced steel? Nigeria at a time Had ANNAMCO, VOLKSWAGEN, MAN, Nigerian Machine tool company, Peugeot Automobile and the Truck manufacturing company in Northern Nigeria. Do those industries use clay? What of railway construction? What of buildings? What of road construction? A steel industry boosts linkages within the economy. Have you seen any developed or rapidly developing country without a steel base? Steel is everything. It is a known fact that the US govt shortly after WW2 took over its steel industries. Like I said you are a mugu. You see Facebook because your Oga likes it but you have failed to question how those guys started. Finally, tell your Oga that Facebook is not built without a sound education system. It takes research, training and technical servicing to achieve these things. What has your Oga done except to make noise all over the place. How much can primary products contibute to an economy with a large population such as Nigeria's. Ajaokuta died because greedy souls like your Oga never let it live!

Sorry, but this is daft. Does the need for pipelines outweigh the cost of setting up a steel mill by govt? Do you know what it costs? Have you done the math fool or is it just about name dropping?

Again, I will ask you what capitalist country you know runs a state owned steel mill that isn't a white elephant? Don't dodge the question.

Fool, ANNAMCO, VOLKSWAGEN, MAN, Nigerian Machine tool company, Peugeot Automobile and the Truck manufacturing company in Northern Nigeria are all either private companies or should be. Why can they not build their own steel works if they have so much demand? Don't they like money?
Dude, you are daft.

Again, why do you think DSC Warri and Ajoukuta steel failed with all those companies you mentioned present?
Sometimes it helps to engage your brain cells. Common sense, bro.

Now tell me if the money wasted on white elephants like Ajaokuta steel and DSC Warri had been ploughed into the citizen as cassava, millet, rice, cocao etc farming can be, if there wouldn't have been a grass roots empowerment instead of the fuckry of white elephants created by dunces like you?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by KnowAll(m): 1:40am On May 24, 2012
i bet with the rejection this cassava bread would develop a sour taste in the presidency!!!!

Patinence Goodluck to husband!!

Patience: As from tommorrow I go dey buy Agege bread, this your cassava innovation no work! divorce!

Joboy: Na too show face now! how many months u dom be first lady, u know say all that gra-gra na for camera, you and I know say I fit kill for Agege bread! cool

Patience: na so una dey do am!

Joboy: b4 kor!! you woman need to learn first, everything for this Presidency na damage control cool

Patience: which one be " damage control"

Joboy: if no be say u be my wife I for divorce now-now?

Patince: ok I am sorry, this your yanga sef don pass be-careful, b4 u dey beg for seexxx, now na me dey remind u say e don tey small!! undecided

Joboy: I beg no go dia!, wetin concern me with sex when my people dey suffer, I beg no bring that topic, in fact I don retire for seexxxxx cool

Patinece: I hear you, atimes I pray this presidency end sef, e be like say d thing don dey worry you?

Joboy: are u talking to me!!!!!!

Patience: no oh abi wetin u wan make I talk now, i dey talk to mysef!!

Joby: u better be cool
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by dasparrow: 5:40am On May 24, 2012
I am glad the bill did not pass. I see no reason why people should be forced to eat some sour cassava bread. Eating cassava bread should be optional and not forced down people's throat. Nowhere in the world is it done that way.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by nwanze2: 5:49am On May 24, 2012
self fish law breakers,we are nt surprised after all, u hav neva passed any law that wont benefit you
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by BlackPikiN(m): 6:53am On May 24, 2012
Beaf:

Sorry, but this is daft. Does the need for pipelines outweigh the cost of setting up a steel mill by govt? Do you know what it costs? Have you done the math fool or is it just about name dropping?

Again, I will ask you what capitalist country you know runs a state owned steel mill that isn't a white elephant? Don't dodge the question.

Fool, ANNAMCO, VOLKSWAGEN, MAN, Nigerian Machine tool company, Peugeot Automobile and the Truck manufacturing company in Northern Nigeria are all either private companies or should be. Why can they not build their own steel works if they have so much demand? Don't they like money?
Dude, you are daft.

Again, why do you think DSC Warri and Ajoukuta steel failed with all those companies you mentioned present?

Now tell me if the money wasted on white elephants like Ajaokuta steel and DSC Warri had been ploughed into the citizen as cassava, millet, rice, cocao etc farming can be, if there wouldn't have been a grass roots empowerment instead of the fuckry of white elephants created by dunces like you?

Beaf rmbr this thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/944288/fashola-tinubu-2015-poster-out#10897063

I still dey wait.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by naptu2: 6:55am On May 24, 2012
This idea of mandating bakers to produce cassava bread was developed by the Obasanjo administration when it was discovered that Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world, but we don't make much money from it. The idea was part of something called the "cassava master plan".
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Onlytruth(m): 7:16am On May 24, 2012
Must everything be by force in Nigeria? Why make it compulsory? Let market forces take care of that.
I guess we are yet to shed military rule mindset.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by naptu2: 8:14am On May 24, 2012
Nigerians consume a lot of flour products (bread, cakes, etc). The wheat/flour is imported. The government realised that Nigeria loses a lot of money due to importation of wheat/flour.

During the Babangida administration the government tried to encourage growing of wheat in Plateau state (wheat grows in colder climates. The climate in Plateau state is suitable for wheat cultivation). However, the project eventually failed because they could not cultivate enough wheat to meet demand for wheat in Nigeria.

It was discovered that Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world, but we don't make much money from cassava. The Obasanjo Administration decided to encourage the sale/use of cassava as a means of increasing non-oil revenue. The ministry of agriculture came up with a lot of cassava products (including animal feed and cassava bread). The administration liked the idea of cassava bread and mandated that flour millers and bakers use a percentage of cassava in their products. Many people kicked against the idea and some suggested that the administration adopted that policy because President Obasanjo intended to go into cassava cultivation via his Obasanjo farms.

My view: I don't believe that the government should force anyone to make/eat cassava bread. Doing this would most likely negatively affect quality.

What the government should do is (1) Provide incentives to local producers of flour (whether with cassava flour or Plateau wheat flour). These incentives could be in the form of tax breaks, grants, etc.

2) Encourage research into the production of cassava bread. If it's cheaper and of a better quality, people would naturally prefer it and it could subsequently be exported. I don't believe forcing people is the answer.

3) Import tax on imported flour.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 8:54am On May 24, 2012
Beaf:

Dude, you are daft.

Is this he-goat still ranting?

Firstly, the steel mills might not be financially viable, however countries invest in it because of the social and economic benefits to be derived. There is no developed country that has gone through the process of development without investing in one. Even with the state relinquishing such investments, most of these industries are still backed by the state because of the critical nature of such investment. The American government regularly bail out their steel industries. Like I said Nigeria's case was different because greedy people like you and your Oga never let it be. If your Oga had marshaled a plan and put the 2.7 trillion naira he stole through the oil subsidy scam in this venture, we know how much progress we would have made. So money is not necessarily the problem for such a project, it has to do with patriotism and national pride. That is what drives development and not the greed of a dog like you and his master.

Secondly, I repeat, it is a petty bill. There are public procurement laws in Nigeria. Why have those laws failed? Because capacity is insufficient to meet local demand. How do you raise capacity? It is not by noise making, it is not by forcing your V.P to eat 'Cassava Bread' and showing it to us on live TV. Countries invest in research, education and technical servicing to boost domestic industries. Making such public procurement laws without sufficient domestic capacity would ultimately distort the markets and thus place more burden on the welfare of the consumers. You don't wake up one morning and say you are sending a bill to the National Assembly without a proper plan. Local content laws continue to fail in the oil industry primarily because of the limited domestic capacity in the industry. Research and development is expensive and these multinationals would not invest in boosting your domestic industries for you. Tell your Oga to get that.

Thirdly, if the plan to bring millions of our people out of poverty is through primary products in the Agricultural sector, then I would say "dead on arrival". The thing about such primary products is that unlike products at the higher level of the competitive scale, as the output of primary products grow, supply exceeds demand and thus crashes prices which ultimately leads to the worsening of the terms of trade of the exporting country. This is in contrast with products at the higher level of competitiveness where higher outputs could potentially mean more improved technology and thus higher prices. This seems to be the problem faced by most developing countries with a heavy dependence on primary products. They are faced with a never ending 'vicious economic cycle' and thus increased poverty. It thus becomes imperative to add value to such primary products. How do you do such without a technological base? How do you do it without developing local technology? How do you develop local technology without your steel and chemical industries? Any agricultural technology that employs over 20 million people in a country most likely uses the most obsolete technology and is therefore bound to fail! Present day agriculture is technologically driven. There should be a holistic plan to boost science, technology and agriculture and not the petty Cassava bill you and your Oga want to force down our throats.

[size=16pt]BTW have you bought your ticket to space? Haha Reno Omokri in space. Yeye dey smell[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by PalmTree(m): 9:14am On May 24, 2012
I quite agree with these senators ooo. Nigerians already consume large quantities of cassava products i.e garri, fufu/akpu etc. The govt sud not compell us to consume cassava in form of bread again na. Cassava bread should be optional.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 9:16am On May 24, 2012
naptu2: This idea of mandating bakers to produce cassava bread was developed by the Obasanjo administration when it was discovered that Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world, but we don't make much money from it. The idea was part of something called the "cassava master plan".

Yeah, it goes back several years

In 2006, the Federal government of Nigeria issued a directive that flour mills in the country should replace 10% of their wheat flour with cassava flour (FIRRO, 2006). This measure was to encourage the use of local products and also to save some foreign exchange. Research works at the Federal Institute for Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIRRO) in Lagos, Nigeria, show that cassava flour can be incorporated into wheat flour for bread making at different levels of substitution, 10-15% being most acceptable, while 15-20% is acceptable for confectionaries and other baked products (FIRRO, 2006). According to Bokanga (2004),Akubundu (2005), up to 20 substitution of cassava flour has no adverse sensory and organoleptic effect on bread while more development was still being expected. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, has also developed a range of baked products including bread, cakes and biscuits, using cassava and soybean flour and cassava starch. (Bokanga and Tewe, 1995).
Selecting cassava varieties for composite bread
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 9:16am On May 24, 2012
Can't force Nigerians to consume cassava made bread ....... Its impossible its the same thing as enacting a Bill that would say Nigerian's should no longer buy foreign shoes dat we should wear made in Nigeria (precisely made in Aba) shoes. If GEJ thinks its a better alternative,intense production of cassava made bread. Should start ...... If its cheaper and has more benefits to health, Nigerians would change their taste. cool
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Danigmatic(m): 9:23am On May 24, 2012
Both parties had wrong approach to the situation,40% of diabetic patients can't stop the other 60 from benefiting from it...its simple less importation of whole wheat,both should be encouraged to be used by the flour companies,,BUT there should be a CLEAR SPECIFICATION showing which product is made by whole wheat OR cassava...or is whole wheat the only diet prescribed for diabetic patients? undecided ..
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by olyivy(f): 9:23am On May 24, 2012
kdamz: Can't force Nigerians to consume cassava made bread ....... Its impossible its the same thing as enacting a Bill that would say Nigerian's should no longer buy foreign shoes dat we should wear made in Nigeria (precisely made in Aba) shoes. If GEJ thinks its a better alternative,intense production of cassava made bread. Should start ...... If its cheaper and has more benefits to health, Nigerians would change their taste. cool

As a matter of fact that ban is already in place since OBJ.
All those Italian shoes you have in your closet are contraband! They were all smuggled into the country!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Bontee: 9:25am On May 24, 2012
@ballabriggs

We can go on and on but the problem does not lie with the president alone as he is not entirely the know it all to do everything. That is why we have ministers for education, science and technology etc to work together and make such policies in a collaborative effort to boost and develop the economy. I agree with your points but in a society as Nigeria with divergent interest then it becomes a problem to develop a comprehensive plan.

The civil war and the direction Nigeria took later is the cause of all our problems, we do not have our usual three to five years development plan anymore.We need linkages in this country and doubt if we have a comprehensive laid out national innovation and development system in place. When we start to attack the president alone because of party, ethnic or religious affiliations, we become distracted from the focus and will never do what is right. This should have been an avenue where people should have come together to develop a policy paper concerning this issues but we are busy attacking the president and trying to show our intellectual prowess.

P:S Nairaland should have been a think-tank for Nigeria policy formulation and development but this distractive arguments everyday is the problem of this site.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by malc619(m): 9:30am On May 24, 2012
Beaf:

Dude, you are daft.

. What do you know about DSC's failure??
DSC was destroyed by poor management.
Low demand for steel was NEVER a factor. Do some research on DSC's product line and you'll be understand more about the loss of economic potential.... Thanks to Obj and his thieving co-travellers
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 9:36am On May 24, 2012
ballabriggs:

Firstly, the steel mills might not be financially viable, however countries invest in it because of the social and economic benefits to be derived. There is no developed country that has gone through the process of development without investing in one. Even with the state relinquishing such investments, most of these industries are still backed by the state because of the critical nature of such investment. The American government regularly bail out their steel industries. Like I said Nigeria's case was different because greedy people like you and your Oga never let it be. If your Oga had marshaled a plan and put the 2.7 trillion naira he stole through the oil subsidy scam in this venture, we know how much progress we would have made. So money is not necessarily the problem for such a project, it has to do with patriotism and national pride. That is what drives development and not the greed of a dog like you and his master.

Secondly, I repeat, it is a petty bill. There are public procurement laws in Nigeria. Why have those laws failed? Because capacity is insufficient to meet local demand. How do you raise capacity? It is not by noise making, it is not by forcing your V.P to eat 'Cassava Bread' and showing it to us on live TV. Countries invest in research, education and technical servicing to boost domestic industries. Making such public procurement laws without sufficient domestic capacity would ultimately distort the markets and thus place more burden on the welfare of the consumers. You don't wake up one morning and say you are sending a bill to the National Assembly without a proper plan. Local content laws continue to fail in the oil industry primarily because of the limited domestic capacity in the industry. Research and development is expensive and these multinationals would not invest in boosting your domestic industries for you. Tell your Oga to get that.

Thirdly, if the plan to bring millions of our people out of poverty is through primary products in the Agricultural sector, then I would say "dead on arrival". The thing about such primary products is that unlike products at the higher level of the competitive scale, as the output of primary products grow, supply exceeds demand and thus crashes prices which ultimately leads to the worsening of the terms of trade of the exporting country. This is in contrast with products at the higher level of competitiveness where higher outputs could potentially mean more improved technology and thus higher prices. This seems to be the problem faced by most developing countries with a heavy dependence on primary products. They are faced with a never ending 'vicious economic cycle' and thus increased poverty. It thus becomes imperative to add value to such primary products. How do you do such without a technological base? How do you do it without developing local technology? How do you develop local technology without your steel and chemical industries? Any agricultural technology that employs over 20 million people in a country most likely uses the most obsolete technology and is therefore bound to fail! Present day agriculture is technologically driven. There should be a holistic plan to boost science, technology and agriculture and not the petty Cassava bill you and your Oga want to force down our throats.

Haba Comrade, you see no redeeming quality in this particular initiative?
You've made blanket generalisations laced with vitriol, with a complete lack of objectivity, when there is clear evidence of research in this area which predates the current administration? Why?

The GON has announced plans to cut wheat imports by introducing a new policy compelling cassava flour inclusion in wheat flour. Part of their plan is to impose a levy of 15 percent on wheat grain imports, which will increase the effective duty from 5 percent to 20 percent. The government also plans to introduce fiscal incentives to stimulate increased domestic production and processing of cassava. This policy direction could greatly reduce U.S. wheat exports to Nigeria.
[url=http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Cassava%20Inclusion%20in%20Wheat%20Flour_Lagos_Nigeria_2-24-2012.pdf/]United States Department of Agriculture
Foreign Agricultural Service[/url]
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by donfineboi: 9:38am On May 24, 2012
ballabriggs:

[size=16pt]BTW have you bought your ticket to space? Haha Reno Omokri in space. Yeye dey smell[/size]

Apart from the name calling, you just said it all. I hope beaf sees reason in ur points. This is what happens when we have an ill prepared President, who attains presidency by chance, not by visionary ambition.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by mjconcept(m): 9:44am On May 24, 2012
ballabriggs:

If Mr Jonathan is serious about promoting Domestic Industries, we would see it. Only a mumu like you who worships Jona to earn a living would gloat over this rubbish. No one says public procurement laws are not good but there must be a clear plan for domestic production if not you create distortions in the market and thus impact negatively on the surplus of consumers. You don't just come out -like Babangida did in the late 1990s- and say you are putting controls on certain products when there is little capacity on ground. He does not need all these political jamboree. What the hell is Cassava? If indeed he is serious about boosting linkages in the Nigerian economy, we would see meaningful progress in industries such as the steel rolling mills. Those industries are critical to the nations development and not the rubbish they tell you about SMEs. SMEs survive because of the presence of those heavy industries as linkages are created. Tell your Oga he is not serious!
It is clearer now you never see anything good in GEJ, you mention promoting Domestic industries is what GEJ said not promoting domestic industries do you know how many job opportunities and economy improvement this will bring you should grow up and don't let your hatred blindfold you.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Standing5(m): 9:45am On May 24, 2012
Law makers wen dey used to meat abi
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ndahbros1: 9:46am On May 24, 2012
@ BEAF:

U lost today's intellectual fight. Ballabriggs definitely is more grounded on this than u are. Don't worry, even Joe will understand that u don't win everyday. Today u take d prize for daftness home. Try again next time. Cheers!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Sweetlemon(f): 9:47am On May 24, 2012
Honestly, this cassava thing is a good move, BUT we must be sure of the health benefits before diving headlong into it. generally, wheat is a more healthy choice, most especially for older people. I support those who say we shouldn't be forced to eat what we don't want to eat. Different people have different tastes and some are even allergic to some things.
Fine, the FG can go ahead with their cassava campaign, but they should not make it mandatory.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:48am On May 24, 2012
So much distraction with abusive posters who cannot make a point without supporting it with a derogatory remark, na waooo propaganda has reached a new high on Nairaland.
Make a point, state the FACTS and consider the other posters position - there might be some sense in it that you can take home. Na lie, we all need to support our half-baked points with contrived abusive language to make it stand grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Demdem(m): 9:50am On May 24, 2012
PalmTree: I quite agree with these senators ooo. Nigerians already consume large quantities of cassava products i.e garri, fufu/akpu etc. The govt sud not compell us to consume cassava in form of bread again na. Cassava bread should be optional.

Seconded. Cassava bread ko, dung bread ni. Nonsense.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by cold(m): 9:52am On May 24, 2012
Ganys: wheat flour.
Peter Edeh (PDP, Edo) who led the opposition against the bill argued that compelling manufacturers of flour to include cassava would amount to compelling Nigerians to eat products thatmay be injurious to their health.
“30 to 40 per cent of Nigerians are diabetic and it will be unfair to compel them to eat cassava products since mostdiabetic patients are barred from consuming foods such as cassava,” he said.
“It will be impinging on people’s rights and endangering their lives to compulsorily include cassava in what theyeat.”
Source
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/05/23/lawmakers-reject-jonathans-cassava-bread/
In my opinion whether they went 'Aii' or 'Nay' is inconsequential.My grouse is,why try to sell us that s tupid dummy about Cassava and Diabetes?Do they honestly think we're all fools?A little research would have saved them the trouble:

Cassava Helping Control Diabetes
Lesser known foods such as cassava are not so much considered for snacks but there are more reasons why you should think otherwise. Cassava root is very rich in starch and contains significant amounts of calcium, dietary fibre, iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin b6 and vitamin C. Dietary fibre has been associated with lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases, colon cancer, and helping control diabetes. A recent study conducted in the Philippines (one of the countries where cassava is an important crop) looked into the effects of root crops and legumes in lowering cholesterol levels among humans with moderately-raised cholesterol levels. The study showed that cassava significantly decreased total cholesterol levels, decreased low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (considered as “bad” cholesterol), and may help lower triglyceride levels due to its high total dietary fibre content. Other studies show that cassava may help support the nervous system and help alleviate stress, anxiety and irritable bowel syndrome. People cook and use Cassava in many different ways and dishes like, instead of potatoes, with meats, in purees, in dumplings, in soups, in stews, in gravies, in cakes, in pudding, in chips, and it can be made into syrup or breads.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Sweetlemon(f): 9:53am On May 24, 2012
naptu2: This idea of mandating bakers to produce cassava bread was developed by the Obasanjo administration when it was discovered that Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world, but we don't make much money from it. The idea was part of something called the "cassava master plan".
There are so many other things that Nigeria has, but all we think of is oil money and that is why we are in this mess! Lord help us!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 9:53am On May 24, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Haba Comrade, you see no redeeming quality in this particular initiative?
You've made blanket generalisations laced with vitriol, with a complete lack of objectivity, when there is clear evidence of research in this area which predates the current administration? Why?

[url=http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Cassava%20Inclusion%20in%20Wheat%20Flour_Lagos_Nigeria_2-24-2012.pdf/]United States Department of Agriculture
Foreign Agricultural Service[/url]

Who is patronizing these Africans. There is the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) intended to help boost export from African countries into the US. Now tell me how many African countries have indeed benefited from AGOA? Is it a solution to the underdevelopment and poverty of Africans? Most African countries have been unable to benefit from AGOA because of the limited domestic capacity in their economies. For some other countries, it has led to an influx of Chinese FDI who hope to produce in these countries and thus tap into the US markets through the AGOA initiative. Now where is Africa's domestic industries in all these?

No one is saying move towards the left like the Chinese and Soviets did. However, there are important lessons to be learnt by a country with a large population like Nigeria in the way these countries tackled and are still tackling their development challenges. There are also lessons to be learnt in the way Germany came out of the devastation of the Second World War through the Marshal plan.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by malc619(m): 9:54am On May 24, 2012
O-Beaf...
O-Liar
It's now clear to all that ur blind support F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ GEJ has made you an intellectual Cretin...
O-liar
O-Coward
Thank God you've been honoured by the love of your life, Aregbesola. O-Beef. They know you are a cow and are making arrangement to slaughter you ‎​Άŋϑ process you into "Exeter"

Cassava bread ‎​Άŋϑ Canned Beaf with a bottle of Ogogoro to support..
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Nobody: 9:56am On May 24, 2012
The Ghanaian perspective

A taste for cassava bread

The workers on Motherwell Farms, north of the capital, Accra, are struggling with the heat and the two-metre tall cassava plants.
The name suggests Scotland but the weather is definitely not.

Bread and biscuits made with cassava flour taste as good as wheat versions
In the stifling Ghanaian heat, it takes some huffing and heaving to uproot the green-leaved stem to reveal the earth-coloured tubers underground.
A little larger than a potato, these tubers are one weapon in the government's efforts to tackle the food crisis.
Ghana imports all of its wheat mostly from the US and Canada.
Earlier this year the importers' bill increased from around $500 (£289; 372 euros) a tonne to $900 and the cost of a loaf of bread also shot up by as much as 70%.
At the Food Research Institute in Pokuasi, half a dozen women wielding sharp knives are peeling the cassava at speed.
This drought-resistant root vegetable is a staple food in Africa and a popular accompaniment to a variety of fiery Ghanaian soups.
But these particular white tubers are being washed, grated, pressed, dried and milled to produce cassava flour.
Bread and soup
"We have been trying to promote the high quality cassava flour for 10 years," says Nanam Dziedzoave, of Ghana's Food Research Institute.
"But, with increasing world food prices, this is an opportune time to promote the incorporation of high quality cassava flour into wheat.
"It is not only going to reduce food prices, it is also going to improve the livelihoods of farmers as well as save on foreign exchange," Mr Dziedzoave says as he checks the quality of the freshly milled cassava flour, sifting it through his fingers.
Adding 10% cassava flour to 90% wheat flour may sound like a small step but, in a country that imports hundreds of thousands of tonnes of wheat each year, it could have a significant impact.

There is demand for cassava flour - but not enough supply
[b]In Accra's Chantan suburb a dozen bakers are mixing the two types of flour and producing an array of breads, pastries and biscuits.
"Those that have tasted our bread can't tell the difference between the normal wheat one and they like it," says Lydianne Antwi of Lyanco Catering Services.
For biscuits, the cassava flour ratio can reach 50%. But there is a problem - supply. Even though Lydianne and her colleagues are calling out for the cassava flour, which is up to three times cheaper than wheat flour, they can not find it.
"The ministry is negotiating with the flour mills and supporting some high quality cassava flour producers to boost the supply for the bakers," says Paulina Addy of Ghana's Ministry of Food and Agriculture.

"The problem is we only want high quality flour and that needs very good equipment and we depend on gas or electricity to dry the cassava so it is capital intensive," she adds.
The Ghanaian government wants to make it compulsory for all flour to contain 10% cassava flour.
Critical to achieving this aim will be getting the country's four major millers on board, and they seem nervous.
"We do not want to get involved with re-tooling our factory because we are not sure of the sustainability of the supply of cassava," says Reggie Sackey-Addo, General Manager of Irani Brothers which has so far this year imported 139,000 metric tonnes of wheat for its mill in Tema - most of it from the US and Canada.
Boosting production is going to require a mammoth effort.
Adding value
Financial assistance has come from the University of Greenwich's Natural Resources Institute, which received $13.1 million dollars from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to assist cassava projects in five African countries - Ghana, Nigeria, Uganda, Tanzania and Malawi.

Bread is sold on makeshift stalls at the roadside
Mr Dziedzoave of the Food Research Institute is also the country manager of C:AVA - Cassava: Adding Value For Africa, which is receiving Ghana's share of the Gates' dollars.
"We are working with 20,000 cassava farmers and we hope by the end of the three year project the income per household will increase by $190 dollars per year," he says.
As with all donor projects, the millions of dollars do not seem to go very far.
By the time management and other costs have been taken out in the UK and in the five African countries, the $13 million has shrunk to $6.7 million. That leaves around $75 to invest per farmer.
Despite the fact that wheat prices have fallen recently, the cassava flour project makes a great deal of sense as it would help cushion the country against future price increases.
The bread and biscuits taste good - I have tried them. But in Ghana there will need to be a huge effort to ensure that the bakers like Lydianne are not left wondering why they could not get their hands on the cassava flour.
[/b]
Source

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Sweetlemon(f): 9:58am On May 24, 2012
KnowAll: i bet with the rejection this cassava bread would develop a sour taste in the presidency!!!!

Patinence Goodluck to husband!!

Patience: As from tommorrow I go dey buy Agege bread, this your cassava innovation no work! divorce!

Joboy: Na too show face now! how many months u dom be first lady, u know say all that gra-gra na for camera, you and I know say I fit kill for Agege bread! cool

Patience: na so una dey do am!

Joboy: b4 kor!! you woman need to learn first, everything for this Presidency na damage control cool

Patience: which one be " damage control"

Joboy: if no be say u be my wife I for divorce now-now?

Patince: ok I am sorry, this your yanga sef don pass be-careful, b4 u dey beg for seexxx, now na me dey remind u say e don tey small!! undecided

Joboy: I beg no go dia!, wetin concern me with sex when my people dey suffer, I beg no bring that topic, in fact I don retire for seexxxxx cool

Patinece: I hear you, atimes I pray this presidency end sef, e be like say d thing don dey worry you?

Joboy: are u talking to me!!!!!!

Patience: no oh abi wetin u wan make I talk now, i dey talk to mysef!!

Joby: u better be cool
LOL! If you think that 'Joboy' is depriving himself of intimacy or food because he is thinking about us, You need a trip to Aso rock

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

‘Police Told Me To Say My Last Prayers’ – NLC President, Ajaero / Nigeria President Urges Boko Haram To Come Out And Talk / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.