Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35692 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by mafioso2(m): 11:22pm On May 26, 2012
What is the Meaning of Ile-Ife in Yoruba Language?

What is the meaning of Oba in Yoruba Language?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 11:30pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem:

Dude go rest jare, How can Ika be Igbo with there langauge, NAME, way of life etc is not Igbo

Even their history got nothing to do with Igbo

Stop this rubbish afam

Alj_harem is coming here with his bullsh1t yet again.

Like I told you in your other Ids, if you are not SS Igbo STFU. Stop dragging anioma into your bs and trying to cause problem for us.

If you no sabi sense, do us favor and stick to your no-life having, multiple ids, business and stop speaking on a community you know nothing of. Dalu

ogbuefi and Ezeagu have asked you people to leave the ika community of which they belong to alone. now you are here trying to divide anioma yet again. They've spoken their history, brought out books written by obi's of some communities which reside in Ika that disclaim this your bullsh1t yet you are continuing.
https://www.nairaland.com/458875/delta-igbo-bendel-igbo-what/51

I told you in your other id, STFU if you are not SS Igbo, stop trying to cause division.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by preciousoz: 11:30pm On May 26, 2012
[quote author=jason123]

preciousoz

YIM: sazi

Time registered: September 16, 2007

Time spent online: 1 day & 4 hours

Yea right...

Osazee shortened as Sazi

Precious + osazee = preciousOZ

Working in Owerri .....very correct.

Full born (father and mother) Benin from the Iyase Of Benin Family.

Pry, secondary and University (uniben) all Benin.

Proudly Bini and should remain like that.

Any Idiot Here that try to insult Me and my people again, May the wrath of the Oba and His ancestors Visit Him or Her even unto the third Generation.

Oba gha to kpere Ise.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 11:36pm On May 26, 2012
ak47mann: Sometimes i feel like slapping that fool through the screens.......even grab his tiny neck with my left hand and quizzed it till his eyes pop out from the socket cool

it is not just you. Slapping is even too small, na punch he deserves.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 11:50pm On May 26, 2012
shymmex:

Bight of benin has nothing to do with bini empire.. And don't tell me republic du benin was named as such because of bini as well loooooool.. slowpoke!

Phone battery is dead, I'm out.

This guy is proud to be ignorant. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 12:05am On May 27, 2012
PhysicsQED: The bight of Benin is indeed named directly after the Benin kingdom while the modern country of Dahomey was named after the bight.I do not know exactly how this association of Benin with precolonial Dahomey started but I suspect it has to with a) the fact that Benin's political influence did extend basically to the western border of Nigeria and possibly beyond it - and a French captain (Landolphe) stated that it extended even to Whydah, a rival kingdom to Dahomey, at one point (after Oyo conquered Dahomey which had earlier conquered Whydah) and b) the Edo name Isidahomwen, which was corrupted and became Isidahomen, Sidahome, etc. "Isi" refers to a foreign land so it was probably assumed that the name indicated Edo people that were previously in the foreign land of Dahomey. My own reading has led me to accept the more plausible claim that Isidahomwen was the name of the grandson of a certain Esan ruler, the Ojirrua of Irrua, as I've seen stated in a book by a Bini writer with a deep knowledge of the history and culture of the Edo. The proper association of Dahomey is with Oyo, which invaded and conquered it.

One of the Eweka's claims Isidahomen was an Esan General in the Edo army. He was in charge of the military outpost in the area. He also claims that a mission was sent from Dahomey to the Oba of Benin before the name change.
The exact details are a bit hazy to me at the mo, but I'll post the link when I find it.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 12:08am On May 27, 2012
Hmmmm I guess we can reach a conclusion

Edos are not Yorubas neither are Yorubas Edos

Show is over for Andre Beaf and co

Make everyone go sleep. But I must say I am utterly disappointed on the Igbos on this site, it seem they are on Yorubas case with there divisive minds.

Oh well smiley

Ndi yoruba gu ko ngozi gi, gu ko ha na'otu na'otu. Chukwu ayi na achi eze. cool
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AnotherOkija: 12:17am On May 27, 2012
Do Edo people see themselves as Yoruba?!!

Answer: Can a Lion ever see itself like a buusu (puss'y cat).. angry

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 12:20am On May 27, 2012
@iHustle

Dude, we need more Itsekiri's to put a word into such topics (esp. in the politics section).
We are getting swamped with bizare expansionist claims (as this thread) by alj haram and his flock.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 12:20am On May 27, 2012
[quote author=iHustle][/quote]

My brother Eweka, owo we ka literal meaning is My hands got it, or my hand can handle it. In the context in which he used it is what I translate. I hope I have made myself clear ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 12:23am On May 27, 2012
Beaf: @iHustle

Dude, we need more Itsekiri's to put a word into such topics (esp. in the politics section).
We are getting swamped with bizare expansionist claims (as this thread) by alj haram and his flock.

all of a sudden you decided he is Itsekiri ?

LOL grin grin grin grin grin bigot with no rest grin
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AnotherOkija: 12:29am On May 27, 2012
Things Edo people dont have in common with Yoruba people;

1. Language

2. Tribal mark

3. Aso-ebi

4. Oily soup

5. Owambe party

6. Cowardice

7. Obese and bleached women

9. Dancing out of rythm

10. Rolling on the ground to greet.

Things they share in common

1. History

2. Culture

3. Yahoo Yahoo

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 12:30am On May 27, 2012
alj harem:

all of a sudden you decided he is Itsekiri ?

LOL grin grin grin grin grin bigot with no rest grin

Maybe you should wonder why the whole of NL considers you a lifless bigoted fool with a thousand bigoted id's.

What a terrible waste of humanity! What a fool!

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AnotherOkija: 12:31am On May 27, 2012
Im gonna be banned soon!!

Goodbye in advance.. grin

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Shaw007(m): 12:38am On May 27, 2012
PapaBrowne: How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a good thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.
Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Folklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.

that is it,shikena!! We av a lot in common but that doesnt make us them,if anything d language itself is a good contrast
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 12:44am On May 27, 2012
Beaf:

Maybe you should wonder why the whole of NL considers you a lifless bigoted fool with a thousand bigoted id's.

What a terrible waste of humanity! What a fool!

LOL keep wasting your time, I only use one ID which is Alj harem. it is only paranoid people like you that would think once someone is not Baifran or pro-GEJ he is Alj harem

Keep wasting your time smiley

BTW I told you to tell GEJ to do a reform on the country's structure, have you told him ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by mafioso2(m): 1:07am On May 27, 2012
Another Okija: Things Edo people dont have in common with Yoruba people;

1. Language

2. Tribal mark

3. Aso-ebi

4. Oily soup

5. Owambe party

6. Cowardice

9. Dancing out of rythm

1. History

2. Culture

3. Politics

Fixed cool
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tevinsolt: 1:35am On May 27, 2012
wow this question is crazy though.....i guess you're ignorant that's why you asked in the first place.
Edo people do not see themselves as Yoruba neither do Yoruba people see themselves as Edo that is just absurd. We are different people who happened to cross path many years back and that's it. As a Yoruba guy i know that an exchange of cultural ideas took place but i guess people get butt hurt because they can't take the truth, in fact if Nigeria eventually splits i hope it will be just us Yoruba so that this kind of situation (tribalism and bigotry) won't be happening.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Luvlydevin(m): 2:03am On May 27, 2012
Which kind people b dis self, go and read ur history well, u will find out dat yoruba share alot with binis firstly it was d benis dat united d yoruba's a long time ago with fact every where, eko is a bini name, because d benis faught masively nd conquared even to lagos(eko) and even in obaship, the only different is dat yoruba has many oba's while almighty benin kingdom has one and powerful oba which all other oba pay homage to, plz dont compare both oba gha tokpera ise!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Asiwaju9ja(m): 3:35am On May 27, 2012
I am an Edo Man from AkoKo-Edo. We bear yoruba names from Benin to ososo.
In Edo north we speak yoruba as a second language generally. This generation Edo people have all
Lost the ability to speak even their language. My father's generation all speak yoruba, I wonder how come.
In d market places in edo north, you can speak yoruba and I assure you almost everyone will understand you. My na me is Asiwaju yet am not yoruba and so many of us. How do you explain that.
Having yoruba names is a comon phenomenon in Edo state. I don't know much about history or geography, comon sense tells you that we are related. Benin is coined from Ilu Ibinu. Check history and of course yoruba history.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Kelskelly(m): 3:43am On May 27, 2012
Asiwaju9ja: I am an Edo Man from AkoKo-Edo. We bear yoruba names from Benin to ososo.
In Edo north we speak yoruba as a second language generally. This generation Edo people have all
Lost the ability to speak even their language. My father's generation all speak yoruba, I wonder how come.
In d market places in edo north, you can speak yoruba and I assure you almost everyone will understand you. My na me is Asiwaju yet am not yoruba and so many of us. How do you explain that.
Having yoruba names is a comon phenomenon in Edo state. I don't know much about history or geography, comon sense tells you that we are related. Benin is coined from Ilu Ibinu. Check history and of course yoruba history.
The fact that you are lost does not mean all Edos are. I'm a proper Edo man, and i've never seen myself as yoruba, even though my local dialect is a mix of bini and yoruba. For one thing, we don't eat wattery soup like yorubas.

3 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Asiwaju9ja(m): 3:51am On May 27, 2012
@kelskelly: Can't you air ur opinion without being insultive. Even ur language is a mix of yoruba as u said urself. This further buttresses my point. Yet you refuse to accept the fact that we are related. In my statement I said "my name is Asiwaju, yet I am not Yoruba. Can you even read? Comon sense my dear is not comon. A reflection of d way u were brought up. Your parents failed at parenting.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by cashmentor(m): 6:00am On May 27, 2012
Asiwaju9ja: I am an Edo Man from AkoKo-Edo. We bear yoruba names from Benin to ososo.
In d market places in edo north, you can speak yoruba and I assure you almost everyone will understand you. My name is Asiwaju yet am not yoruba and so many of us. How do you explain that.
If you do a trace back, don't be shock that your folks might have had a mixed marriage.... Edo North is mostly occupied by Northerners and Muslim settlers e.g Yoruba: that tells it all.... Benin's have names like Adesuwa, Ayomide, Oduwa etc! Do you think that make 'em yoruba or make 'em feel more Yoruba than Benin? NO.... Why? These too are Bini names with Bini Meanings to it.... But yours, Asiwaju, has got some few dark spots!

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:21am On May 27, 2012
cashmentor: If you do a trace back, don't be shock that your folks might have had a mixed marriage.... Edo North is mostly occupied by Northerners and Muslim settlers e.g Yoruba: that tells it all.... Benin's have names like Adesuwa, Ayomide, Oduwa etc! Do you think that make 'em yoruba or make 'em feel more Yoruba than Benin? NO.... Why? These too are Bini names with Bini Meanings to it.... But yours, Asiwaju, has got some few dark spots!

I am not saying that the Edos are Yoruba. I am saying that they are closely related.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Kelskelly(m): 6:39am On May 27, 2012
Asiwaju9ja: @kelskelly: Can't you air ur opinion without being insultive. Even ur language is a mix of yoruba as u said urself. This further buttresses my point. Yet you refuse to accept the fact that we are related. In my statement I said "my name is Asiwaju, yet I am not Yoruba. Can you even read? Comon sense my dear is not comon. A reflection of d way u were brought up. Your parents failed at parenting.

WE ARE NOT RELATED. You are only confused about your own heritage. Your name is asiwaju, and yet you don't know where you are from. yet you talk about my upbringing. You call me insultive, and your next few lines are full of insults. You are just and uncultured and untrained thing. Typical hypocrite. Wish you really knew me, you would have known that my parents did a damn good job!

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tosank: 6:48am On May 27, 2012
Another Okija: Things Edo people dont have in common with Yoruba people;

1. Language

2. Tribal mark

3. Aso-ebi

4. Oily soup

5. Owambe party

6. Cowardice

9. Dancing out of rythm

1. History

2. Culture

3. Yahoo Yahoo

Don't you think the things you listed are VIRTUES? Shame on the womb that gave birth to you if you don't.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Chanchit: 8:27am On May 27, 2012
Na wah o, bini people come even face theirselfs, yoruba don leave stage, @op don go sleep.... Continue anyway... I'm watching..
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:10am On May 27, 2012
tosank:

Don't you think the things you listed are VIRTUES? Shame on the womb that gave birth to you if you don't.

Na u sabi... Ewu
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by edicolove: 9:26am On May 27, 2012
This whole thread is an insult to historians. People just came here to display their monumental ignorance of history. Particularly the likes of Alj Harem. They even went as far as quoting st.up1d blogs written by dunces who can't tell an apple from an orange.

I don't even know where to start from. The whole of western Africa is interwoven historically but that in way suggests they are one tribe or have one origin. Back in Naija, tribes that share border have interwoven languages because HUMANS DON'T LIVE IN ISOLATION! They interact continually. Whether to do business or to fight wars, they interact and rub off on each other. Sometimes one tribe dominates.

Bini and Edo are 2 different things. Bini refers to one tribe and Edo refers to a group of tribes. Edo is best defined as a group of tribes who historically fall under the reign of the ancient Benin kingdom. It that context, even part of the Yoruba are Edos. The ancient Benin kingdom spanned from present day republic of Benin to Asaba in Delta state. But the ancient Benin kingdom had no sophisticated government structure so the Obas couldn't really establish the Bini culture on those lands. Unlike what you will find in Europian kingdoms.

That being said, let us lay the facts bare on the table:
1. Binis have nothing to do with Yorubas apart from being proximity neighbours.
2. Most West African kingdoms don't have written down history. Most of it is oral tradition. There were no intellectual learning centers or schools or libraries like in Arabic and Europian kingdoms.
3. The Binis have a more coherent account of their history because of the homogenuity of the Benin kingdom and dynasty. The Yorubas are more disjointed.
4. The Binis or Edos don't see themselves as Yorubas in any way. In fact, the average Benin guy has a negative picture of Yorubas. He thinks they are a dirty and cowardly tribe not to be trusted. That is not intended to insult the Yorubas, it is just a direct answer o the @op's question.
5. Binis or the Edo people do not speak or understand Yoruba at all. The only people that speak Yoruba are those who live in border towns with Yoruba states. Then the Akoko Edo people. So to the question of what percentage speak Yoruba as a second language, the answer is near zero.
The Benin language is a very concentrated language and difficult to speak compared to the Yoruba language. There are very few words shared between the Benin language and Yoruba. In fact, there are probably more similarities in words between Benin and Ibo languages than between Benin and Yoruba.

In terms of culture, Binis and Yorubas don't have much similarities in culture. I was born in Benin City and grew up there. I now live in Lagos and can't see similarities in both cultures. The Binis will not want to be part of an Oduduwa Republic. That I can tell you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:21am On May 27, 2012
I said I would not respond to this thread again but the post above (by edicolove) is so off base and inaccurate that I must post a caveat that it is factually wrong on almost all counts except for the first few sentences of number 5, which correctly note that most of the Edoid groups do not speak Yoruba even as a second language, possibly number 3 to some extent (although even that is somewhat debateable), and probably also the statement about not being particularly interested in the idea of being in a future Yoruba republic.

I encourage everyone that is interested to actually read about African groups' histories in detail if or when they get free time so that they won't carry around and propagate erroneous perceptions. I cannot be bothered to write another really long post detailing why I disagree with the majority of edicolove's assessment, as I really feel that it may not be worth my time, but I must at least state my disagreement. By the way edicolove, what ethnicity do you identify as?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:26am On May 27, 2012
@ cashmentor, Ayomide is not a Bini name by the way.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by lbotus(f): 12:13pm On May 27, 2012
NO, EDO's are not yoruba.Please leave the Edos alone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Different From World Leaders And Kings I've Met - Arab Billionaire / What You Need To Know About Kola, Bitter Kola And Aligator Peppe. / NSCDC Special Female Squad Visits Alaafin Of Oyo (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.