Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,361 members, 7,812,020 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35642 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by jason123: 3:02am On May 28, 2012
Well, I'll repeat it.

Edos and Yorubas have a good history! A mixture of the two produced the Itsekiris. Do not let anyone or group cause strife between you two. I have both groups in my family. Guys, although this is the internet; try to be watchful of what you say to eachother. Other people will form usernames to cause strife so be watchful.

My two kobo!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 3:23am On May 28, 2012
Interesting thread.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 3:59am On May 28, 2012
[s][/s]
jason123: Well, I'll repeat it.

Edos and Yorubas have a good history! A mixture of the two produced the Itsekiris. Do not let anyone or group cause strife between you two. I have both groups in my family. Guys, although this is the internet; try to be watchful of what you say to eachother. Other people will form usernames to cause strife so be watchful.

My two kobo!
[/s][s]
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 4:17am On May 28, 2012
Obiagu1:

Abeg, don't link me with this thread with silly title. How would someone ask such a silly question: Do Edo people see themselves as Yorubas? That's pretty dumb!
In addition, I don't speak Yoruba and I don't use multiply monikers. I despise people like you and Alh Harem that have multiple monikers. It's pretty much a character disorder; you can't be 2 or more different persons at the same time to make a point.
If I have to comment or create a post, I do so being me and will defend my position with logic. I don't have character disorder like you.

Dang dude. Why did you have to answer, you should let him sweat.

you just f2ked up my comedy.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 4:21am On May 28, 2012
PhysicsQED: Hmmm. . .it's really only on NL that I've heard about any Edo or Edoid people perceiving Yorubas as being cowards and backstabbers/betrayers, but I guess I can only speak for and vouch for the people I've come into immediate contact with. Other people will doubtless have their own differing views, though I'd prefer it if they didn't pretend like they were speaking for entire groups when expressing their own views and opinions.

That's what happens when you have ppl with multiple IDs claiming another tribe.

Most of the "Edos" on this thread are prolly Biafrians still healing from their wounds. Yorubas have NEVER betrayed anybody, talkless of Edos.

@Post

I don't see myself as Edo, so I don't expect Edo people to see themselves as Yorubas.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by iHustle(m): 4:22am On May 28, 2012
Beaf: @iHustle

Dude, we need more Itsekiri's to put a word into such topics (esp. in the politics section).
We are getting swamped with bizare expansionist claims (as this thread) by alj haram and his flock.

@Beaf, You are very correct. Thankfully, truth is bigger and more powerful than any expansionist agenda. Below is a picture of the Olu of Warri and some of his chiefs. Who do they dress like?

@PhysicsQED: Here's a link that will clarify your thoughts of Dahomey: http://www.edoworld.net/Benin_Kingdom_Yesterday_and_Tomorrow.html

Here's an excerpt: "The impact and extent of the influence of the Benin Kingdom is exemplified in the renaming of the Republic of Dahomey to the Republic of Benin. Isadahomey was the Benin war general that led the army into the area of Dahomey, and subsequently had the area named after him. So when it became imperative that the people could no longer bear citizenship to a country named after an individual, the ruler of Dahomey Matthew Kereku had to seek the permission of the Oba of Benin for a change in name. Thus Dahomey was transformed into the Republic of Benin, which to the people was an honour to the “citizens of the Great Benin Kingdom”."

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 4:25am On May 28, 2012
As for impact of Binis on Yorubas and vice versa, I did notice Bini imapct on some aspect of Ekiti and Ondo today. Some even say our dialect must have been affected by the Bini empire. I like to see that as a blessing cool kiss

Even Igbo cultures were affected by the Bini empire. Binis really did a large number on them sha grin

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 4:29am On May 28, 2012
jason123:

SMH!

Alj_harem is at it again.

Dude did you miss where he mentioned his father is SS. grin grin grin I wonder if Stephanie okereke future children are now igbo because of their mom? grin grin

You are who you are through mother, no be father anymore. Nigerians turn to Ghanaians

This dude gets pathetic as the day goes by.

Anyway @ thread and @ all ya'll
Calm down to peterkaba, shymmexx, papabrowne, etc. Take a deep breath and calm down!!

You people need to see this thread as comedy rather than insulting even if someone insulted your community. Take a foot on my step, akigbemaru insulted igbo and I saw it as more comical than insulting. That is because half of the sh1t he wrote was sh1t. If someone insulted your community. Thank them, laugh at it and move on. Una are too emotional on this thread. If una know you cannot do it, just leave the thread, it's better than biting eachother heads off. Calm the f2k down!!!

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by iHustle(m): 4:34am On May 28, 2012
_
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 4:38am On May 28, 2012
iHustle:

Please shed more light. I want to know what you noticed. Thanks.

Yeah, Onitsha was founded by Edos and the Obi of Onitsha and many Onitsha people are edoid.

Yes, I'll shed more light so that the pretend "Edos" on this thread can masturbate on it wink
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 4:48am On May 28, 2012
One_Naira:

Dude did you miss where he mentioned he's father is SS. grin grin grin I wonder if Stephanie okereke children would be igbo because of their mom? grin grin

Calm down to peterkaba, shymmexx, papabrowne, etc. Take a deep breath and calm down!!

You people need to see this thread as comedy rather than insulting even if someone insulted your community. Take a foot on my step, akigbemaru insulted igbo and I saw it as more comical than insulting. That is because half of the sh1t he wrote was sh1t. If someone insulted your community. Thank them, laugh at it and move on. Una are too emotional on this thread. If una know you cannot do it, just leave the thread, it's better than biting eachother heads off. Calm the f2k down!!!
you took the words out of my mouth. Jason ,for reasons best known to him,conveniently avoided where the guy said his father is from SouthSouth.some people are just pathetic.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by odumchi: 4:50am On May 28, 2012
iHustle:

Yeah, Onitsha was founded by Edos and the Obi of Onitsha and many Onitsha people are edoid.

Woah, easy there...tọ nmeji o.

This simple statement you made is highly flammable and has been disucussed in many threads. You should keep the topic of discussion on whether or not the Edo see themselves as Yoruba instead of making such statements.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 4:52am On May 28, 2012
chima12: you took the words out of my mouth. Jason ,for reasons best known to him,conveniently avoided where the guy said his father is from SouthSouth.some people are just pathetic.

dude both jason and alj_harem are the same person and if you watch alj_harem post, you'll understand why he did as he did. It just pathetic-ness, people are just used to it. Most time I ignore it but that one made me laugh so I had to comment
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by OneNaira6: 4:57am On May 28, 2012
iHustle:

Please shed more light. I want to know what you noticed. Thanks.

hmm lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by hotwax: 6:44am On May 28, 2012
Edo kings bear Yoruba names!!! How come?

They also dress like Ife Chiefs why ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by preciousoz: 8:36am On May 28, 2012
shymmex:

Can you even compete with Ijebus in all aspects of life cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I'm not even comparing Edo to Yoruba, that's disrespectful - let's compare Edo to Ijebu lol... We will colonise Edo state, if we really want to... Edo is irrelevant!! cool

Shymmex, U are a complete slowpoke for making that comment. Thank God for the British and civilisation as pple like U are only Good For traditional rituals.

If it were to b of Old, the Oba of Benin will only Send 20 Foot soldiers into Ijebu Land and as Usual, you people (cowards as ever) will hand you over with their faces to the ground.

Now I understand why u pple keep begging and pleading with people to understand and speak ur Owambe Language. U just need Numbers to feel secure.......(Cowards)

A word of advise, next time U high on weed and want to rant, please come to Ring Road (Benin City) and Rant so U can be properly rewarded. Ewe

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by coldiz: 8:55am On May 28, 2012
preciousoz:

Shymmex, U are a complete slowpoke for making that comment. Thank God for the British and civilisation as pple like U are only Good For traditional rituals.

If it were to b of Old, the Oba of Benin will only Send 20 Foot soldiers into Ijebu Land and as Usual, you people (cowards as ever) will hand you over with their faces to the ground.

Now I understand why u pple keep begging and pleading with people to understand and speak ur Owambe Language. U just need Numbers to feel secure.......(Cowards)

A word of advise, next time U high on weed and want to rant, please come to Ring Road (Benin City) and Rant so U can be properly rewarded. Ewe

Ahahahaha... Otemwen, laho wowo, oni se... I can't stop laughing... Edos represent anytime.. We no dey fail...

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:09am On May 28, 2012
@iHustle, thanks for the link.
I have to disagree with the claim of that article though. There is a meaning for Dahomey in the Fon language: 'Dan' + 'homey' = Dan's belly. Although the meaning may seem somewhat strange in modern times, I do not think it would have been out of the ordinary back then and there are even more unique names for some places in historical kingdoms in Africa, so the story sounds more believable to me than the general Isidahome story. Accounts of the name i have read indicate that Dan means serpent (apparently Dan in this case indicates either a serpent god or the name of a king who was named after the serpent god he was believed to be descended from), so the name means in the heart or belly of the serpent/serpent king and is a reference to their religious beliefs.

Sometimes there are coincidences in appearance between words and names with different meanings in different languages. I believe this is one of those cases.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 11:07am On May 28, 2012
preciousoz:

well said.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by jason123: 11:15am On May 28, 2012
One_Naira:

Dude did you miss where he mentioned his father is SS. grin grin grin I wonder if Stephanie okereke future children are now igbo because of their mom? grin grin

You are who you are through mother, no be father anymore. Nigerians turn to Ghanaians

Very well said but I wonder why you are still trying to convince yourself?! You have repeated this stuff countless times which tells me you don't believe your own judgement.

One_naira, I am who ever you thing I am! Just save yourself the headache!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 11:26am On May 28, 2012
I wonder why people say Jason and Alj harem are the same. Truly common sense is not common.

Well again I am not Jason, I am not Okija juju, I am not syxmess, I am not these people.

Lastly @ Edo people on this thread.

I would assume most of you are Igbos thus dismissing most of your comments. Even worse is someone saying yorubas are betrayers. If it about the civil war then I truly thank God for not joining the Igbos. I for one would never ever want to lose my heritage to baifra.

Biafra was a selfish plot by Ojukwu and his fellow Igbos to dominate yorubaland. If Edo and even by extention delta (sorry jasaon) want to join Biafra. Please please by all means do !!!

Una hear me ko !

The thread opener just like many Igbos here have different IDs to discredit yorubas. Heck we could careless, in fact we laugh but want we find disgusting is changing history

Republic of benin got nothing to do with Edo people. I don't know where those lies are coming from. You all claim Oba is a bini word and not yoruba, then why are the leaders of benin using Ooni ? why not Oba

Why are Kwara and Kogi people using Oba ? Why are itsekiri using Olu (lord) why not Oba

My people it is delusion. Also no one conquered Ijebus and Egbas apart from the British. I am an Awori-Egun Prince from Lagos both from Isale Eko and Badagry and in Awori we have binis in it. Please don't distort history.

When Bini invaded (where considered yoruba) Olofin DID NOT ATTACK BACK because Binis were considered one of us back in those days as far as we were considered. Coming here and mouthing off that you conquered us and we are cowards would only come from the mouth of ingrates.

If turly you conquered even to benin republic why have egun people never meet the binis before ? Also I can recall an part in history that Aworis even meet Ijebus not to talk of binis.

Again I would assume these are all Igbo people using different IDs to cause discord. Imagine Okoro man speaking and distorting Yoruba history. SMH

There are only few edos I saw here and those were the people that could speak bini not some Okoro man.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 11:28am On May 28, 2012
@ Igbos here When I start my turn, no complain

Chekena !
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:33pm On May 28, 2012
Alj harem, we agree that the modern Republic of Benin is not connected to the Benin kingdom except through indirect naming, but please don't hit people over the head with posts that are as riddled with errors or misconceptions sprinkled in beween truths as those posts that you're countering. It serves no purpose. Just let the thread fade out and don't ethnically polarize it further. Peace.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 12:39pm On May 28, 2012
^^^^

No problem
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by lekkie073(m): 4:35pm On May 28, 2012
Some edo ppl on dis thread have accepted dat they are related to yorubas. Some have not. We yorubas take bini ppl as brothers, but if some feel we should not be, then so be it. Whether eko is bini word or not, i don't give ά hoot. If and when naija splits, bini ppl should try to come and annex ϑ so called eko, then we shall know. Mind u̶̲̥̅̊, any tribe dat owns lagos indirectly owns west africa's economy!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tbanger(m): 5:00pm On May 28, 2012
PapaBrowne: How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a good thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.
Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Folklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.

My brother....you have written well. We are a distinct people and we can never claim Yoruba...NEVER!!!!!!!! cool
PapaBrowne: How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a good thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.
Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Folklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.

My brother....you have written well. We are a distinct people and we can never claim Yoruba...NEVER!!!!!!!!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ezotik: 5:14pm On May 28, 2012
lekkie073: Some edo ppl on dis thread have accepted dat they are related to yorubas. Some have not. We yorubas take bini ppl as brothers, but if some feel we should not be, then so be it. Whether eko is bini word or not, i don't give ά hoot. If and when naija splits, bini ppl should try to come and annex ϑ so called eko, then we shall know. Mind u̶̲̥̅̊, any tribe dat owns lagos indirectly owns west africa's economy!

so who do the yorubas do not see as brothers? aren't we are all nigerians? as far as i know, some yorubas consider the fulanis as brothers. i have read posts on here of how dan fodio was born of a yoruba woman. but will it not be absurd to ask the fulanis if they see themselves as yoruba?

and if nigeria should break up, dont worry about us. if i were u, i'd be more concerned about the ijaws in ur backyard. they are becoming militant, they have a seating president, and they are settled in all so-called yoruba states along the coast.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by SamAfrik(m): 5:33pm On May 28, 2012
Seems pple dont know wat cowardice really means. So, failure of America to attack Iran is cowardice?
Yorubas are thinkers & very diplomatic.
Terrorists (e.g BH) shd rather b called cowards for killing harmless pple, & nt pple who never act on impulse.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:36pm On May 28, 2012
ezotik:

so who do the yorubas do not see as brothers? aren't we are all nigerians? as far as i know, some yorubas consider the fulanis as brothers. i have read posts on here of how dan fodio was born of a yoruba woman. but will it not be absurd to ask the fulanis if they see themselves as yoruba?

and if nigeria should break up, dont worry about us. if i were u, i'd more be concerned about the ijaws in ur backyard. they are becoming militant, they have a sitting president, and they are settled in all so-called yoruba states along the coast.

We see Nigerian as our brothers but Those that don't see us as brothers cannot and WOULD NOT BE force to do so, I hope you understand our position.

Thanks

BTW u ta ohoghe gbe, how can one say Usman was born of a yoruba woman ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:38pm On May 28, 2012
SamAfrik: Seems pple dont know wat cowardice really means. So, failure of America to attack Iran is cowardice?
Yorubas are thinkers & very diplomatic.

Cowardice is if you do not carry gun and kill them but rather discuss with them, that is cowardice

If you kill 20 of them and scatter everything, that is bravery. That is how primitive thinking people are in Nigeria.

Black africa, I weep for your brains

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Fulani Siddika Sanusi Rides On Horse To Her Husband's House In Style / The Future Of African Traditional Religion. / Ooni Of Ife Different From World Leaders And Kings I've Met - Arab Billionaire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.